Is Madagascar the real gem from Chinese Democracy?

Call it the appreciation thread. I've never heard anything like the quotes bit. I'm sure there's other songs that use film quotes but I cant think of any off the top of my head?

Axl's vocals are great, love the lyrics. The overall feel is defiant. Definitely an epic.

No

Just no

Not to mention it is badly over produced

This song is a Civil War wannabe song

CD version is crap, too many overdubs and solo doesn't work.

The solo sounds flat on the album, like it's there solely to have a solo there, but it's just a background noise that shouldn't be given attention. The quotes are "the solo" kinda.

The 2002 version is my favorite, Boston, Columbus and MSG being particularly good.

I bet when Axl wrote the song he didn't picture Dj Ashba playing his guitar with drumsticks over the solo 12 years layer...

Playing?

DJ couldn't play the SCOM intro properly, why would you assume that he can play this solo with fucking drumsticks? :lol:

But i think Axl didn't picture his own self after 12 years later :axl:

He probably puke his own face or something

I think Madagascar would work as an album opener, followed by rocker.

Imagine Joe Six Pack finally getting his hands on the long awaited Chinese Democracy album, putting it into his stereo, cranking the volume and sitting back with his bottle of Jack...ready to ROCK THE FUCK OUT, he presses play and Madagascar starts playing?

Instant skippage.

I think Madagascar would work as an album opener, followed by rocker.

Imagine Joe Six Pack finally getting his hands on the long awaited Chinese Democracy album, putting it into his stereo, cranking the volume and sitting back with his bottle of Jack...ready to ROCK THE FUCK OUT, he presses play and Madagascar starts playing?

Instant skippage.

You're probably right. You have to open Big, keep the energy up, then drop the single. CD, Shackler's, Better did that pretty well. Then Street of Dreams is classic GNR track, then two epics. With ITW as the big single the side revolves around. The perfect side of GNR music.

I just liked how Oasis opened with D'You What I Mean or even Civil War on UYI II. That kind of slow burner, it shows an assurance or confidence of the band. maybe Madagascar isn't really fiery enough to do that. That's why it's buried on side 2.

Edited by wasted

I say it is, but one of the gems. Others IMO being TWAT and Prostitute. I would say that Madagascar is maybe the best song for me on the record, but also the song that suffers from over production the most. It has like 345 tracks looping back and forth. The insanely beautiful guitar parts are ruined with way way too much stuff on there. 2001-2002 live you can really hear those terrific guitars alot better. Also the lyrics are great.

A fantastic song, but it should have been released much "rawer"

4:24 to 4:45 :drool:

Why wasn't THAT on the album version? I still like it though. Axl was probably just improvising in that clip. You can find moments of brilliance in some of his post 1993 performances.

Guest NGOG

The VMA rendition of Madagascar - which I first listened to in early 2009 - is why I started liking the new band. Goosebumps.

Edited by NGOG

Certainly one of the best songs on Chinese Democracy, that's for sure. However, Axl's old man vocals on the opening versus nearly kill the song for me. I much prefer the live versions from the early 2000's. If I had to pick five songs from the album (and five would probably do it!) They would be:

Better

Street Of Dreams

Catcher In The Rye

IRS

Madagascar

Don't really care for the title track at all. In fact I think It's pretty awful but makes an effective album and concert opener, I guess. This I love could have been amazing, but Axl overworked the song and ended up with something overblown and ridiculous. There's a beautiful song there that somehow got away from him.

My favourite:

BEAST.

After seeing/hearing that, I really miss the extended screams he added there when listening to the album version. Same with Sorry from the same show.

It is a great tune indeed, but I think the real gem is TWAT.

Precisely. (Nice sig btw)

I remember the first time I listened to CD, the only song I liked was TWAT. It's awesome.

Madagascar is in my top 5 CD songs, but it certainly isn't the gem.

TWAT became my favorite one a long time after the album came out, precisely at the beginning of 2013, it was because I pluged my headphones and listened to each Chidem song with atention, TWAT was too much everything and I loved Axls scream and even more when he plays it live. :wow:

I loved this song from the first time I heard it back on MTV in 2002. I just loved the whole feel of the song.

It's my second favorite after Street of Dreams.

Axl and GNR performed it the first time I saw them here in Dallas.

Edited by Val22

The word "epic" should never be used with the song Madagascar. It just cheapens the word.

Don't Civil War and Heaven's Door also have monologs in them as well?

Madagascar is one of the most boring songs on the album, imo.

Street of Dreams is much better, not even close.