The job hunting thread

GivenToFly

Just as an update it looks like our head nurse is fighting my corner, she says she's not willing to lose me over it so a compromise can be found. I might have to do Sundays temporarily but one of our new starts has no problems working a Sunday so she can do it instead.

To clarify the situation for everyone:

- I work full-time during the week, I am salaried so it is not about getting more or less hours

- Weekends are on a rota basis, you do 1 in 3 and it's either a Saturday or Sunday

- 3 vets work on a Saturday as all practices are open for a short time, 1 vet works on a Sunday as only the main hospital is open

- I have always been on the Saturday rota but now my boss is trying to force me onto the Sunday rota instead

- I explained that it is mainly to do with my faith and it being a Sunday, a small part of it is being the only vet working with no backup as a new grad but that is minor in comparison

- She is trying to ignore it having to do with my religion and say I have to because I now am experienced enough, even though there are way more senior vets on the Saturday rota

EDIT: Dazey, I was hired to do a 4.5 day week and 1 in 3 Saturdays, in one practice. Now she's got me split between practices (one being the furthest away and most run-down) and trying to move me to Sundays, and has put none of this in writing despite me asking for it

Yeah Rocket Queen is an example as to why I don't want to go back to college. Spend all that money on a job you don't even like...

I love being a vet, I just want to make sure I have a decent work-life balance and am not letting my boss treat me like crap because a) that's how you get burnout and b) I trained hard enough to become a professional, I deserve to be treated like one :huh:

Edited by Axls Rocket Queen

• 3 weeks later...

Fucking narcs. My friend and coworker got fired today. I asked another coworker what happened. Our manager calls me a few minutes later telling me to stop asking questions and talking about what happened.

Ha I found a list he's been keeping on the computer of "policy violations" I've made. "6/10/15 in bathroom for 33 minutes." Haha what a fucking creep!

Just as an update it looks like our head nurse is fighting my corner, she says she's not willing to lose me over it so a compromise can be found. I might have to do Sundays temporarily but one of our new starts has no problems working a Sunday so she can do it instead.

- I work full-time during the week, I am salaried so it is not about getting more or less hours

- Weekends are on a rota basis, you do 1 in 3 and it's either a Saturday or Sunday

- 3 vets work on a Saturday as all practices are open for a short time, 1 vet works on a Sunday as only the main hospital is open

- I have always been on the Saturday rota but now my boss is trying to force me onto the Sunday rota instead

- I explained that it is mainly to do with my faith and it being a Sunday, a small part of it is being the only vet working with no backup as a new grad but that is minor in comparison

- She is trying to ignore it having to do with my religion and say I have to because I now am experienced enough, even though there are way more senior vets on the Saturday rota

EDIT: Dazey, I was hired to do a 4.5 day week and 1 in 3 Saturdays, in one practice. Now she's got me split between practices (one being the furthest away and most run-down) and trying to move me to Sundays, and has put none of this in writing despite me asking for it

Yeah Rocket Queen is an example as to why I don't want to go back to college. Spend all that money on a job you don't even like...

I love being a vet, I just want to make sure I have a decent work-life balance and am not letting my boss treat me like crap because a) that's how you get burnout and b) I trained hard enough to become a professional, I deserve to be treated like one :huh:

Yeah your boss is actin' a fool.

It seems you've brought it to her attention more than once yeah? After all that, if she still is trying to push you into doing something that you don't want to do and have already explained to her the reasons for it, then I'd talk with someone above her.

I've gotten a bit of the same treatment before, wanting Sunday off completely because I'd like to keep going to church and not let a job get in the way of that. But there are many people out there who think it's a story or excuse made up to have one solid day off.

Hope it gets ironed out for you though.

Yeah your boss is actin' a fool.

It seems you've brought it to her attention more than once yeah? After all that, if she still is trying to push you into doing something that you don't want to do and have already explained to her the reasons for it, then I'd talk with someone above her.

I've gotten a bit of the same treatment before, wanting Sunday off completely because I'd like to keep going to church and not let a job get in the way of that. But there are many people out there who think it's a story or excuse made up to have one solid day off.

Hope it gets ironed out for you though.

Or maybe the boss / who has been there much longer and knows more about the company, and whose work experience has led them to be chosen as a supervisor - maybe they know what is better for the company than a newer worker fresh out of college?

People don't start a business so they can bend over backwards to make exceptions for their workers. They do so to provide a service or product and to make money off it. Their purpose isn't to make sure their new staff have schedules or shifts that fit their own personal preferences. If somebody I supervise came and told me they weren't going to work Thursdays anymore I wouldn't rearrange 10 other workers schedules to make that happen. The main goal here is keeping the clinic open and providing medical services for the animals. Not people cherry picking their days off.

Look at the owners perspective.

And If ARQ doesn't like it or thinks they aren't a great company to work for then she is free to start her own Vet clinic or go work for another company that she thinks will treat her to the standards she feels she deserves.

But to call the owner names without hearing their side of the story doesn't really seem fair.

Edited by Apollo
  • Like 1

It's actually a legal issue Apollo, nobody in the UK can be forced to work a Sunday, and in my case as I have explained my reasons to my boss and been ignored (as well as her making frankly inappropriate comments about it) it comes under religious discrimination. Also, as I said there are enough of us to cover all the days, there is no reason why she needs to force me specifically into doing it simply because she and other older vets would rather not. Also I have worked Saturday's since I started and there is nothing in my contract about Sunday's- I work a day every 3rd weekend, and I am fine with that for Saturday's but not Sunday's. It's not about me wanting more time off or anything like that

The good news is after I forwarded our email correspondence to our head nurse, she had a meeting with management and they discussed it, and our regional manager has agreed that I will only be doing Sundays temporarily, in a month or so once one of our new vets (who is more experienced than me) is settled in she will move to working Sunday's and I will go back into the Saturday rota :)

Edited by Axls Rocket Queen
  • Like 1

It's actually a legal issue Apollo, nobody in the UK can be forced to work a Sunday, and in my case as I have explained my reasons to my boss and been ignored (as well as her making frankly inappropriate comments about it) it comes under religious discrimination. Also, as I said there are enough of us to cover all the days, there is no reason why she needs to force me specifically into doing it simply because she and other older vets would rather not. Also I have worked Saturday's since I started and there is nothing in my contract about Sunday's- I work a day every 3rd weekend, and I am fine with that for Saturday's but not Sunday's. It's not about me wanting more time off or anything like that

The good news is after I forwarded our email correspondence to our head nurse, she had a meeting with management and they discussed it, and our regional manager has agreed that I will only be doing Sundays temporarily, in a month or so once one of our new vets (who is more experienced than me) is settled in she will move to working Sunday's and I will go back into the Saturday rota :)

Good to hear girly!

Things I heard about Amsterdam...

I was like

"You may as well just leave me there."

Got me thinking about job hunting out there... Then my buddy from Bulgaria reminded me that I'd have to get a Dutch equivalent to an NI number and NHS number first and that my red passport wasn't good enough on it's own :lol: so... I ask; How do I get my Dutch papers?

My pet peeve of being a graphic designer is when someone says "it looks really professional" about my work.

I've not studied and worked the last seven years to be amateur. I've heard it's something many graphic designers hear, and although it's always intended as a compliment, it's also patronising and makes me wonder what some people think graphic designers do. I wouldn't go to my doctor/hairdresser/dentist/bin man and tell them what a professional job they're doing.

Are other workers allowed to pick - or decline - which days they want off? If I have a Bible Study every Thursday could I have that day off every week for religious reasons?

Somebody has to work the Sundays that you don't. So when workers say they can't work specific days it does limit ( or make harder) the scheduling opportunities for whomever makes the schedules.

I suppose it's just looking at the situation from the owners side and what's best for the company and the animals as opposed to what's best for individual workers.

I'm glad you got your desired schedule. Hopefully the other people who have to work Sunday are cool with it and their religious rights aren't infringed on by their chosen job with the company.

I got fucking turned down from a guitar center job with a Bachelor's Degree. Fuck me...

Oh boy. You just made Nate's year.

I got fucking turned down from a guitar center job with a Bachelor's Degree. Fuck me...

Unless your degree was in guitar centre related stuff they probably thought you were over qualified.

Try and try again...

I didn't even bother applying for this job on Top Gear editing it because... I was under qualified, still, my advisor suggested I do so.

Unless your degree was in guitar centre related stuff they probably thought you were over qualified.

Try and try again...

I didn't even bother applying for this job on Top Gear editing it because... I was under qualified, still, my advisor suggested I do so.

You should apply for a high-level management position in BP next, Snakes. Sky's the limit.

• Like 2

Try and try again...

You should apply for a high-level management position in BP next, Snakes. Sky's the limit.

A vote for Snake-Pit is a vote for commercial freedom.

Edited by Snake-Pit

I have two interviews this week, the first being tomorrow morning, the second on Thursday.

I don't think the one on Thursday is right for me, so I'm going to give tomorrow my best shot! It's not a company I'm massively interested in working for, but they'll provide me with a job which will complement my home life. I hope I get it.

• Like 1

I have two interviews this week, the first being tomorrow morning, the second on Thursday.

I don't think the one on Thursday is right for me, so I'm going to give tomorrow my best shot! It's not a company I'm massively interested in working for, but they'll provide me with a job which will complement my home life. I hope I get it.

Good luck!!!!

I just found a listing for my "dream" job (as in, the kind of job I want the most with my qualifications) and applied today. Its as an Admissions Representative at a University.

Fingers crossed

Aww. College girls. You old salty dog!!! ? Edited by Apollo
  • Like 1

My interview went perfectly, but he told me that there's one other guy he thought he'd be offering the role to. I am better skilled and have more experience than him. The other guy gets a second interview on Friday, and depending on how that goes, I'll hear if I get another interview or not.

It's a shame, there's nothing I could have done to be first in line.

Other than the two of us, all the other applicants just got phone interviews. I've been doing this so long, where it's always the same story; interviewers always say how impressed they are, and tell me that I'm far better than other applicants, and then something happens so the job goes to the other guy or doesn't exist anymore.

• Like 1