Ron leaving the band?

Guest Gunns

as long as we at least get 1 more album, then really what's it matter at the end of the day? I love Bumblefoot but im sick of the touring, and its clear Axl has 0 intention of writing with this band, just release the bucket sessions

I'm not so sure Axl has lost the desire to create new music. I think it has more to do with a fear of not meeting expectations. And by everything I've seen and heard for the last 26/27 years, Axl has pretty high expectations. Where as most would view a million copies sold as a success, Axl probably views it as a failure. With all the backlash of Chinese Democracy being dubbed a commercial failure, of which I don't believe, by the mainstream media, I have to wonder, if after all is said and done, if he's just scared, in his mind, to further tarnish his legacy.

Of which I have to admit, it took a hit tonight with the airing of the Golden Gods awards show. He had moments, but for this to air after a week of being called The Worlds Greatest Singer, is kind of a joke. I am not an Axl basher. I know he's in his 50's, and I don't expect him to sound like he did in 1989 or even 2006. But there were some moments that were truly embarrassing in his vocals on this awards show. I'm just being honest.

Guest Gunns

seriously though, why would Axl waste time, effort and money to sit down/write/record with the current band, where he apparently has hours upon hours of material that he has accumulated over the Bucket years that he himself has already assisted in the writing and recording process from back then. Why go through the whole entire bullshit again especially when he is 12 years older, when his past effort hasn't even come to fruition in the public market yet?

In Axl's eyes, it's an absolute redundant notion to go and do something new for the sake of the current band, when the 'old' material that would be new to all of us, hasn't been released yet.

seriously though, why would Axl waste time, effort and money to sit down/write/record with the current band, where he apparently has hours upon hours of material that he has accumulated over the Bucket years that he himself has already assisted in the writing and recording process from back then. Why go through the whole entire bullshit again especially when he is 12 years older, when his past effort hasn't even come to fruition in the public market yet?

In Axl's eyes, it's an absolute redundant notion to go and do something new for the sake of the current band, when the 'old' material that would be new to all of us, hasn't been released yet.

I agree. But to him, that material has got to seem old as fuck don't you think? I mean, he's been listening to the unreleased finished stuff longer than we've had CD! One would think he'd have done something since 2002, or whenever these songs were finished. I don't know. I do agree that it's pretty irrelevant if Ron leaves. And it makes sense since just about everyone has commented in some form or another about writing new material for Guns, and with DJ. Everyone but Ron.

I also don't think it would be a bad idea for Axl to go the route of the Beatles. No more touring. Just studio releases. Especially if he's burnt out on it. And his vocals are certainly not holding up. He still has his moments of brilliance, but they are coming in shorter bursts, fewer and further between. And in the studio, he can focus on just recording one track in a week. Go full on Axl on it, and not have to worry about keeping it respectable for 3 hours. I'm glad I got to see him again a few years back, but at this point I really think he needs to ether hang up the live touring, or at the very least have shorter tours, shorter sets, and more days off in between.

For me, it seems like the voice is still there when he digs down to get it. But all I can figure is he knows it won't hold up for 3 songs in a row, much less a 3 hour gig, playing 3 to 4 nights a week. I'd prefer to see and hear less of him if it means we'd get to hear the Axl Rose we all know and love.

• Like 1

Guest Gunns

I agree. But to him, that material has got to seem old as fuck don't you think? I mean, he's been listening to the unreleased finished stuff longer than we've had CD! One would think he'd have done something since 2002, or whenever these songs were finished. I don't know. I do agree that it's pretty irrelevant if Ron leaves. And it makes sense since just about everyone has commented in some form or another about writing new material for Guns, and with DJ. Everyone but Ron.

I also don't think it would be a bad idea for Axl to go the route of the Beatles. No more touring. Just studio releases. Especially if he's burnt out on it. And his vocals are certainly not holding up. He still has his moments of brilliance, but they are coming in shorter bursts, fewer and further between. And in the studio, he can focus on just recording one track in a week. Go full on Axl on it, and not have to worry about keeping it respectable for 3 hours. I'm glad I got to see him again a few years back, but at this point I really think he needs to ether hang up the live touring, or at the very least have shorter tours, shorter sets, and more days off in between.

For me, it seems like the voice is still there when he digs down to get it. But all I can figure is he knows it won't hold up for 3 songs in a row, much less a 3 hour gig, playing 3 to 4 nights a week. I'd prefer to see and hear less of him if it means we'd get to hear the Axl Rose we all know and love.

Truer words have never been spoken, and I never thought I'd be saying that. GnR live are (or perhaps now, used to be) one of the best live acts in the world from 06-10 but I agree that Axl needs to just dedicate every fiber of his being to getting some new music out, and hang up the touring gloves until a new cd is on the shelves.

Truer words have never been spoken, and I never thought I'd be saying that. GnR live are (or perhaps now, used to be) one of the best live acts in the world from 06-10 but I agree that Axl needs to just dedicate every fiber of his being to getting some new music out, and hang up the touring gloves until a new cd is on the shelves.

If he has old material recorded with former members what is his position regarding royalties? Does he have to pay former members who contributed to the songs?

If he deleted their parts and re-did them with current members could that result in law suits by former members or is likely that they know the material will either be re-recorded or never released anyway so either way they lose?

Guest Gunns

If he has old material recorded with former members what is his position regarding royalties? Does he have to pay former members who contributed to the songs?

If he deleted their parts and re-did them with current members could that result in law suits by former members or is likely that they know the material will either be re-recorded or never released anyway so either way they lose?

I can't answer that because I have no idea how royalties are distributed. MSL knows how it all works, i'm sure someone else on here could be of assistance, but i'm sure he would still have to pay those who actually came up with the guitar riffs/structures/melodies etc even if someone else came in to rerecord them. Axl would probably rather pay royalties to an ex member, then let the current members write and record new songs that might not stack up in terms of quality, to the Bucket songs...

• Like 1

Guest Gunns

I guess it's quiet appropriate to play Rons cover of goodbye yellow brick road and pour a glass of whiskey and toast bumble as he starts the next chapter of this guitar tab book we call life

Edited by Gunns

But he did exactly that in Chinese Democracy, with Bumble re-recording many Bucket's parts.

The amount of people on here who have obviously not listened to much of Bumbles solo work is pretty amazing considering their judgements on his ability as a player and songwriter. Listen to his work, you will see that he can write simple catchy rock songs or off the wall experimental metal/gypsy music whatever he wants... he is extremely musical and has a great set of ears, he does love to put atonal tap licks all over some if my favourite songs but If I played the same set for 4 consistent years I'd be playing just about anything I wanted to keep it mildly entertaining for myself... you can't blame him.

I would hate to see him go, especially as he really is the only guy trying to get something new out, the other guys are content with their side projects... ron wants to make his solo album and make a guns album... if Guns decided to get into the studio he would be there in a heartbeat... if they decide to tour he's obviously not going to be very interested "tour and promote my solo album that I've worked very hard on or, go out and tour with guns for better money but no real creative fulfillment... hmmmm?"

He can wait around for guns but I think the best option is to do his own thing and then jump in and out of Guns for the tours... he would be crazy to give up the guns job as it's just a few months of the year these days... easily enough time for his own projects and the money should allow him to keep everything else afloat.

In theory the Beatles model would be a great one for Axl. Unfortunately for him, nobody buys records anymore and it strikes me that Axl is someone who needs the affirmation of success. As poor as his performances are lately, I don't doubt he's still leaving venues each night to smiling faces and thunderous applause.

How is he going to get that from releasing records? Whatever the next album is - it could be the greatest rock album of all time and its still going to sell less than C.D.

Critical acclaim is never going to happen either. Guns have never been critical darlings and the press have had it in for Axl since the beginning.

Edited by tomfriend

The amount of people on here who have obviously not listened to much of Bumbles solo work is pretty amazing considering their judgements on his ability as a player and songwriter. Listen to his work, you will see that he can write simple catchy rock songs or off the wall experimental metal/gypsy music whatever he wants... he is extremely musical and has a great set of ears, he does love to put atonal tap licks all over some if my favourite songs but If I played the same set for 4 consistent years I'd be playing just about anything I wanted to keep it mildly entertaining for myself... you can't blame him.

I would hate to see him go, especially as he really is the only guy trying to get something new out, the other guys are content with their side projects... ron wants to make his solo album and make a guns album... if Guns decided to get into the studio he would be there in a heartbeat... if they decide to tour he's obviously not going to be very interested "tour and promote my solo album that I've worked very hard on or, go out and tour with guns for better money but no real creative fulfillment... hmmmm?"

He can wait around for guns but I think the best option is to do his own thing and then jump in and out of Guns for the tours... he would be crazy to give up the guns job as it's just a few months of the year these days... easily enough time for his own projects and the money should allow him to keep everything else afloat.

Yeah, just because he doesn't release stuff through known record labels because he doesn't want people telling him what he should or shouldn't do doesn't mean it isn't good musically.

I don't think he'd like to do the jump in and jump out thing... if he's out, I'd say he's really out.

What does he say at the beginning before saying "for how long"?

It was a response to the interviewer using the word "currently". He was making of the interviewer using that term, IMO.

I like his description of what is a good vs. bad response from the crowd: Underwear thrown=good. Bottles thrown=bad. :lol:

Ali

That was gold :lol:

I'm pretty sure he's hinting again at leaving but we have to wait and see.

I like when he says he'll probably throw DJ's guitars instead of his :lol:

I don't know what he's going to do (no one does, really), but honestly I think he was making fun of the interviewer or joking around with him for using the word "currently". It seemed pretty light-hearted to me :shrugs:

He did not bring up that word, "currently", on his own. That much is clear.

Nonetheless, a fun little interview.

Ali

I don't know what he's going to do (no one does, really), but honestly I think he was making fun of the interviewer or joking around with him for using the word "currently". It seemed pretty light-hearted to me :shrugs:

Ali

Fun, fun, fun, fun but for how long? Bumble is getting too old for this shit. Only speculation, but I'm a fan of the bumb, and it does seem like he's losing motivation to keep at it with no real artistic release within the band. No one will blame him if he quits, but I hope he'll stick around. Maybe in 8 more years Axl will warm up to him and give him permission to really work with him in the studio lol no.

Ali

Ron is always goofing on interviewers. I would take what he says with a grain of salt as who knows what he is being serious about............