Why no talk of finck returning?

I think they must have made amends when robin and brain played that show with them. I'm sure robin has more of a chance to put his stamp on the industry with guns than with NIN. Guns gives him a chance to be recognized where as people see NIN as Trent creation. Ron leaves bring back robin. Obviously axl likes his writing...

If Ron leaves, replacing him with Robin does not really make sense because he can't play the technical work that Bucket and Ron can. If Ashba left(I'm hoping it happens), getting Robin back would be very possible.

• Like 2

You'd have to be an idiot to return to GNR at this point.

Ignore this statement all you want, folks, but nobody in his right mind with a shred of a reputation and/or dignity is joining this organization, returned or otherwise.

I know (hope) threads such as these are purely hypothetical, in-an-alternate-universe flights of fancy, but still...

All I can see him doing is a guest appearance here and there, touching up old tracks he worked on, and maybe future collaborations with the band. Reznor said NIN could change lineups every few months where Robin might sit things out for a leg of the tour. He's still going to do another HTDA album at some point and probably want to spend time at home with his kid, which was part of the reason he put NIN on hold as a live act.

He's got his Oscar in hand to score movies for the rest of his life and doesn't have to go on the road. What would be cool is if NIN and Bowie do a co-headlining tour again, but I don't think David's down for touring anymore.

Assuming Axl can perform at this level for another 10 years, which I think is very likely if he uses the rasp sparingly like he has the last few weeks, then I think in 5-10 years we'll be looking at at least one or two changes.

We already know from the leaked email subjects that there was talk of people wanting Tommy out and Duff back. Tommy himself said 'Axl hasn't fired me....yet.' We've known for years that Duff has wanted back in. But it's always been Tommy's loyalty, longevity and band-leader status that've kept him in the band.

We know that for unknown reasons Axl has wanted to fire DJ a few times and given what we've seen on the last tour he's hardly the golden boy. If a situation arose where there were not going to be any NIN shows for a long time and Robin was open to returning; DJ was out of favour: and they were preparing to release an album with a lot of Robin on it.....it's not impossible that he could be back.

We know that Ron has grumbled for years and he's been a big headache for the band in general. I'd suggest he's gotten away with it largely because there are bugger all other players out there who can play Bucket and Ron's parts who'd touch Guns with a barge pole. My guess is that Axl/management wont want to lose him and by giving him some writing credits and more presence on the next album he'll stay.

While we're at it...Bucket and Slash are the two who are equally unlikely to ever be back in the band. Although Slash would return and although Axl would have Bucket back in a heartbeat....Axl hates Slash about as much as Bucket dislikes the thought of dealing with Guns again.

The only way Slash returns is if he literally calls some kind of formal press conference or makes a statement retracting most everything that Axl disagrees with that he's said over the years pertaining to the breakup. Given how well his solo career is going that is more unlikely now than ever.

The only way Bucket returns is if Axl guarantees in writing that X albums will be released and that the set will be mostly new stuff. And he'd probably prefer it if some of the people who treated him like shit before weren't around.

You can never ever say never in life and anything is possible.....

• Like 2

NIN is trent reznor but people see new GNR as Axl Rose's Experiment so the two boxes are just as opaque to the public perception, NIN does dynamic touring and regularly releases albums... Finck is better than the new one but he ain't dreaming of coming back.

When Axl glances out the corner of his eye onstage during This I Love, he cringes inwardly so forcefully that he pulls a muscle in his face without even moving it. This is why he does not smile in fan photos. The phantom trauma.

This is how Finck would respond to Axl's secret torture;

32183-Lakers-bro-deal-with-it-gif-phtM.g

Finck left for a reason. I doubt circumstances changed enough for that reason not to be valid any longer.

He was very specific: years working on 'instrumental track 32,' naff all going on, touring Appetite, delays yada yada. If by some miracle Axl signed a contract with the label to release two records within 2 years and tour them extensively then you're starting to talk about Finck being open to negotiations. Bucket would take a whole absolute shitload more than that.

After any original member, axl seems to write best or like fincks material. The opportunity that stands out with me is in NIN finck is faceless in the perception to regular NIN fans. Hardcores know who he is, but NIN has and always be perceived as TRENT REZNOR as the writer of everything wheather it's true or not. In guns, he has opportunity to make a name for himself. People say with guns " who's the new guitarist, who does axl have now? Etc" people know axl doesn't write all the music unlike Trent hence giving credit to the other artists who work on it.

dont know if you are laughing at the credability of finck or GNR(assume the latter)

and yes NIN are very relevant but not a chance anyone knows who he is or gets credit for what he does there....there is opportunity for himself in GNR pending releases. no matter how much NIN puts out he is limited in creativity and recognition. not the case writing for guns...

he is nothing more than, what most consider all nu-gnr members, a touring member in NIN or a "hired gun". people seem to forget he has writing credits(better) and plays on every song on chinese democracy. his legacy in both bands is blurred by guns haters and glorified by NIN enthusiasts. in reality even if guns release nothing ever again, him touring with them is exactly the same as him touring with NIN. no better no worse. just maybe a chance to create something of his own(better) with GNR

Edited by circusboy666