June 7, Las Vegas, NV - No Trickery! (Final Show of Residency)

magisme

A member at HTGTH expressed bewilderment as to why anyone would leave GN'R. I answered here but post it here too in case it disappears:

Why would he quit Guns N' Roses?
Who does that?

People who feel frustrated by how dysfunctional the band is and disillusioned by not having any power to change things despite making numerous efforts at improving band/fan interaction, spicing up setlists, writing new songs for the next record, etc?

Edited by SoulMonster

A member at HTGTH expressed bewilderment as to why anyone would leave GN'R. I answered here but post it here too in case it disappears:

Who does that?

People who feel frustrated by how dysfunctional the band is and disillusioned by not having any power to change things despite making numerous efforts at improving band/fan interaction, spicing up setlists, writing new songs for the next record, etc?

Let us know the replies :-)

Who does that?

The efforts at spicing up the setlist seem pretty successful to me based off the past three nights.

Ali

Who does that?

The efforts at spicing up the setlist seem pretty successful to me based off the past three nights.

Ali

Yeah but I wonder if that was as a parting gift for Ron who expressed his desire to play songs like Yesterdays and TWAT repeatedly? Who knows, maybe Axl wants to make a new album made by DJ and Fortus? Bumble's already on his way back to NY so it doesn't seem like he'll be hanging out with the band after this residency.

Who does that?

Ali

Other times he has failed. Like when he wanted the band to rehearse a new song for each tour, when he wantd to play some other deep cuts from UYIs, when he wanted different setlists at the first residency.

Who does that?

Ali

Yeah but I wonder if that was as a parting gift for Ron who expressed his desire to play songs like Yesterdays and TWAT repeatedly? Who knows, maybe Axl wants to make a new album made by DJ and Fortus? Bumble's already on his way back to NY so it doesn't seem like he'll be hanging out with the band after this residency.

I took it as a gift to fans like me. Further, I wouldn't be surprised if "Yesterdays" became a staple given the fact it was played the last three shows. That's just me though.

Ali

Who does that?

Ali

He's going right on another tour in 4 days, I doubt he's unpacking the suitcase and going right to rehearsals today. With him and the other guys doing Q&As at Guitar Center as part of the tour (for free btw), I'm sure someone's going to ask if he's leaving GNR.

10460723_10152454609213069_6918714376970

Cage looks absolutely scary in this picture. Like a shaved, photobombing bigfoot on meth.

DJ will never wash his hat ever again.

What's that in Bumblefoot's hand?

Can a mod post this shit ass setlist in the OP? I don't have the heart. Only fucking Axl will begin to pull out the stops and then revert to being a conservative pussy for the final show. Get out now, Ron.

Dude, we still got Yesterdays and TWAT, that's pretty special. If he'd played this the previous show and then played that show's setlist last night, it would be seen as a resounding success, it's just a case of raised expectations.

I blame that 19-year-old groupie, she must have tired him out after last night's show :P

Can a mod post this shit ass setlist in the OP? I don't have the heart. Only fucking Axl will begin to pull out the stops and then revert to being a conservative pussy for the final show. Get out now, Ron.

Dude, we still got Yesterdays and TWAT, that's pretty special. If he'd played this the previous show and then played that show's setlist last night, it would be seen as a resounding success, it's just a case of raised expectations.

I blame that 19-year-old groupie, she must have tired him out after last night's show :P

Nah, dude. I was willing to be happy with the last few shows specifically because I lowered my expectations. What other fanbase would flip out because 2 old songs and a shit cover were thrown into the set, and then the next night one more old song? That's bullshit for any other artist, but, you know, OK, let's give Axl some credit because there's an inkling of change and progress. Well, he went backward last night, and I'm sorry, he's relinquished the benefit of the doubt.

Nah, dude. I was willing to be happy with the last few shows specifically because I lowered my expectations. What other fanbase would flip out because 2 old songs and a shit cover were thrown into the set, and then the next night one more old song? That's bullshit for any other artist, but, you know, OK, let's give Axl some credit because there's an inkling of change and progress. Well, he went backward last night, and I'm sorry, he's relinquished the benefit of the doubt.

I don't disagree that the past couple of years have been disappointing progress-wise, but it was still a good way to close out the residency. Hopefully TWAT gets played more often, and yeah I obviously would like to hear new songs, but I still think for a show for the people there, to get songs like TWAT, Estranged and Civil War, all in one setlist is pretty special. Yeah, we've lowered our expectations since 2011, but at least in the past few years a lot of fans have got to hear those UYI classics again, along with Lies tracks like UTLH and You're Crazy. I was as heartbroken as anyone else when I saw what a shitshow Rio '14 was, but these last few shows at the residency have renewed my hope that by the time they come back to Europe there'll be new songs and deep cuts in the setlist.

Mags he still played over 3 hours with a strong voice. He didn't play 2 covers whi h he doesn't normally play and prostitute. Its no biggie.

We'll see. I take it as an indication of future nothingness. Of course that's an easy prediction when TB and Axl are at the helm, but I think we're gonna realize we were fooled again.

@Amir: That response kinda works for yours too. :)

Edited by magisme

Who does that?

Ali

He's going right on another tour in 4 days, I doubt he's unpacking the suitcase and going right to rehearsals today. With him and the other guys doing Q&As at Guitar Center as part of the tour (for free btw), I'm sure someone's going to ask if he's leaving GNR.

10460723_10152454609213069_6918714376970

Cage looks absolutely scary in this picture. Like a shaved, photobombing bigfoot on meth.

What's that in Bumblefoot's hand?

Severance package.

• Like 2

Another of my posts on HTGTH in case it gets deleted:

Despite Bumblefoot's clear frustrations with the band, his countdown tweet, his refusal to say he won't be leaving on direct requests (usually he would dismiss such a rumour immediately unless), admin at mygnrforum claiming he wants to leave, and many more implied actions, he could very well be staying. Perhaps he is just powerplaying with Axl/TB to get a pay raise or change something in regards to his conditions in the band or how the band is run, but we all know trying to force Axl's hand very rarely succeeds (the only exception I can think of was in Germany in 1991 when the venue forced Axl to finish a gig).

Members at HTGTH don't seem to be aware of much. It's like they are sheltered or something. Kept in the dark.

What were you expecting from tonights show thats made you so dissapointed?

Some flicker of remaining creativity, spontaneity and drive. I think if he had kept Prostitute and added one other song that hadn't been played yet, I'd have been fine with it. Not much, just a sign that we're not falling back into the same rut we've been in for years. Clearly my disappointment isn't with the show in a vacuum, it's with what I believe the show means in the coming months and years (BBF leaving, radio silence, false hopes, nostalgia tours with a couple good shows at the end by the time Axl has warmed up his voice, because, you know, the fans at the beginning of tours don't count).

Missed opportunity to play something new again but at least there's been some variation and a great resurgence of Axl's voice, nice to see TWAT and Yesterdays remain and not merely pulled out like strange party tricks. It's backwards progress with Duff joining too and old new songs and old songs and covers but it's some intent and depth.