Slash on Duff with Axl "he told me he was going to fill in for whats his name.."

^Yep. Doubt he was expecting the question and probably the last thing he wants to be talking about, especially given he has his album coming out. So rather than bothering to rack his brain trying to come up with Tommy's name, he just sloughs it off as easily as possible. Do people really think he knows who Chris Pitman and Frank Ferrer are?

I don't think he gives 2 shits about any of this...

Do people really think "what's his name" is a professional and respectful way to describe another musician? Even if he did forget, there's plenty of less offensive things to say.

He's making a deliberate attempt to belittle the lesser known members of nugnr. "Whats his name" sounds like what a Slash fan would say on MyGnR in an attempt to cupcake Axl fans.

I guess hes not heard of The Replacements

Do people really think "what's his name" is a professional and respectful way to describe another musician? Even if he did forget, there's plenty of less offensive things to say.

He's making a deliberate attempt to belittle the lesser known members of nugnr. "Whats his name" sounds like what a Slash fan would say on MyGnR in an attempt to cupcake Axl fans.

"the lesser known members of nugnr". A- who or what is "nugnr" and B- the touring musicians of Axl/TB's current band touring under the Guns name are "what's his name(s). And no- the 'Mats were a small cult band that had a decent size following but never amounted to jack shit (which is why what's his name sold out and joined the anti 'Mats in "nugnr". Edited by Snowmass

The only thing I see wrong with what Slash said is that Duff and Axl's relationship is neutral. It seems rather positive and reinforcing to me.

I totally agree on Duff and Axl's relationship. I think it's a good thing for both of them and that it's very encouraging and positive. However, I thought the comment on neutrality was more about Duff's ability to remain neutral in the Axl vs. Slash conflict. He seems very able to maintain friendships with both of them, support both of them in their projects and perform onstage with both of them, instead of jumping into the fray and siding with either camp in the press/personallly.

• Like 1

I just wonder how Duff and Slash can fight Axl for so many years, then Duff and Axl make up, while Axl still maintains he despises Slash, and that not lead to any awkwardness between Slash and Duff.

Different relationship; different personalities involved; different dynamics. Even the way they left the band was different; Slash seemed to have gone off in a huff while Duff took Axl to dinner and just told him he needed to leave. Even before they met up again, Axl said in an interview that the one old member he'd be open to working with on a project was Duff. It seems as though whatever the issue was there, it was much easier to repair, and that Axl actually WANTED to repair it.

Once you get to be an adult, on some level a lot of people get past that whole "I can't be friends with you if you're HIS friend" thing. Slash doesn't know or get on with every single person with whom Duff works, after all.

Calm down everyone...nothing earth shattering said. "What's his name" truly is 'what's his name' to most people. Back in the day everyone knew the band...from Popcorn to the King of Beers. I guarantee no one (other than the diehards on here and other sites) have a clue who the current employed musicians are.

would it have been so hard to say " duff called me and told me he would be filling in for a couple of dates" not really that difficult to do. he took a dig at someone who has no beef with him. the problem he has is with axl, not tommy stinson. it was being an asshole just to be an asshole.

Edited by bran

^Yep. Doubt he was expecting the question and probably the last thing he wants to be talking about, especially given he has his album coming out. So rather than bothering to rack his brain trying to come up with Tommy's name, he just sloughs it off as easily as possible. Do people really think he knows who Chris Pitman and Frank Ferrer are?

I don't think he gives 2 shits about any of this...

Pitman is the face of GNR #ThePitmanEra

Calm down everyone...nothing earth shattering said. "What's his name" truly is 'what's his name' to most people. Back in the day everyone knew the band...from Popcorn to the King of Beers. I guarantee no one (other than the diehards on here and other sites) have a clue who the current employed musicians are.

would it have been so hard to say " duff called me and told me he would be filling in for a couple of dates" not really that difficult to do. he took a dig at someone who has no beef with him. the problem he has is with axl, not tommy stinson. it was being an asshole just to be an asshole.

Lighten up, Francis.

Edited by Bards
  • Like 2

Lighten up, Francis.

tumblr_mzbi27q7891qdfs71o1_500.gif

Many many people have never heard of The Replacements. Slash could have simply said "He is filling in for the bass player" or "he is filling in on bass duties" though lol.

Many many people have never heard of The Replacements. Slash could have simply said "He is filling in for the bass player" or "he is filling in on bass duties" though lol.

We're talking about Slash here. Slash is not 'many many people'. I bet he knows more musicians than 'many many people'.

Like someone said, it could be that he just momentarily forgot the name, we can't derive that from one sentence, but don't act as if he has never heard of Stinson. Plus the guy has been in his former band longer than Slash was, and I don't believe for a minute he couldn't name every musician in GNR now. I'm not saying he's butthurt, because I don't know, but I'll never believe that he doesn't know who's in the band.

• Like 1

We're talking about Slash here. Slash is not 'many many people'. I bet he knows more musicians than 'many many people'.

Like someone said, it could be that he just momentarily forgot the name, we can't derive that from one sentence, but don't act as if he has never heard of Stinson.

Do you have any proof he has heard of Stintson? Otherwise your statement is pure conjecture.

Like someone said, it could be that he just momentarily forgot the name, we can't derive that from one sentence, but don't act as if he has never heard of Stinson.

Do you have any proof he has heard of Stintson? Otherwise your statement is pure conjecture.

Sorry, you got me. No proof. Slash may not have followed GNR at all in the last fifteen years and he may never have heard of the Replacements. It's okay.

Sorry, you got me. No proof. Slash may not have followed GNR at all in the last fifteen years and he may never have heard of the Replacements. It's okay.

You are hereby found GUILTY! You are sentenced to 5 hours of Pitman/Ashba Jams combined with solos.

Hehe i really dont know if he has heard of Stintson or not. I do admit that Slash's comment is a slight jab at him though.

You are hereby found GUILTY! You are sentenced to 5 hours of Pitman/Ashba Jams combined with solos.

That's a bit harsh :(

Oh come on...of course Slash knows who Stinson is! The guy doesn't live in a bubble and Tommy's been in the band 15 years, his name is mentioned in the majority GnR articles written in the last decade, they will have mutual acquaintances, he most likely will have had conversations with Duff and others where he has been mentioned by name, he will have seen his name tagged numerous times via social media in association with GnR and more recently Duff, Slash also still holds a part share in GnR business interests leading to him registering unhappiness with the AFD dvd production, a dvd which Stinson appears in throughout.

IMO this is either a) a temporary slip of the mind, which happens to everyone from time to time or b) a dismissive put down.

I just don't believe for a minute he has no awareness of who Tommy is, if it was Frank or Chris I could probably just about go with it but Tommy no way.

• Like 2

Just to add Slash also played with Motorhead at Coachella this year, spent a couple of days there according to instagram - the same festival The Mats played at which was highly publicised. Perhaps he didn't bother checking them out though.

Once again unless any of you were there you don't know the context in which he said it, you don't know the tone of voice in which he said it and you don't even know what he said following that up. Like I said more than likely he said it in a way where he simply forgot the name for a moment and obviously someone would've told him who "what's his name" is and then Slash likely said "oh yeah right, his name just slipped my mind for some reason". And then obviously for drama sake the article cut his quote short. But nope we gotta turn this into Slash being butt hurt and him wanting to put down Tommy and being jealous of Axl and blah blah fucking blah. My god some of you are ridiculous. I've forgotten the names of friends and co workers at times. Those weird moments when you genuinely can't recall a name for some odd reason. It's on the tip of your tongue but you can't spit it out and have used the phrase "what's his name" many times and it's never been in an insulting manner.

Some of you so desperately want to make something out of this it's pathetic.

Edited by Bono
  • Like 3

Once again unless any of you were there you don't know the context in which he said it, you don't know the tone of voice in which he said it and you don't even know what he said following that up. Like I said more than likely he said it in a way where he simply forgot the name for a moment and obviously someone would've told him who "what's his name" is and then Slash likely said "oh yeah right, his name just slipped my mind for some reason". And then obviously for drama sake the article cut his quote short. But nope we gotta turn this into Slash being butt hurt and him wanting to put down Tommy and being jealous of Axl and blah blah fucking blah. My god some of you are ridiculous. I've forgotten the names of friends and co workers at times. Those weird moments when you genuinely can't recall a name for some odd reason. It's on the tip of your tongue but you can't spit it out and have used the phrase "what's his name" many times and it's never been in an insulting manner.

Some of you so desperately want to make something out of this it's pathetic.

I agree with Bono. I however put the blame on the DailyStar journalist who interviewed Slash. Why can't they printed it out by replacing the 'what's his name' with 'GNR's bassist' and instead of directly quoting, they can reword what he said without ever changing any facts to avoid misunderstanding? But no, they need to sell their news, hence it is what it is.

And meanwhile butthurt fans from both sides are at each others' throats LOL