Pink Floyd-The Endless River OUT NOW!

RussTCB

Any statements by Waters about this yet?

Nope. I was wondering about that too. I'd imagine he won't say anything until a journalist asks and even then I'm guessing he'll be respectful since Rick is gone.

I'm just hoping that putting this out as Pink Floyd doesn't strain the relationship he's re-built with Dave since Live 8. I'd like to hear him say he supports it, but I'm not entirely sure he fully does.

Edited by username

Any statements by Waters about this yet?

Nope. I was wondering about that too. I'd imagine he won't say anything until a journalist asks and even then I'm guessing he'll be respectful since Rick is gone.

I'm just hoping that putting this out as Pink Floyd doesn't strain the relationship he's re-built with Dave since Live 8. I'd like to hear him say he supports it, but I'm not entirely sure he fully does.

Yeah my biggest worry with this is Roger's views. I am sure the music will be good

Ambient and instrumental sounds great to me.

The Division Bell had some amzing aerial soundscapes and incredible guitar work.

Can't wait to hear it.

That's exactly where I'm at. I've always liked TDB, but with the new vinyl reissue I've really got back into it. Even if the new album is just more of the same, it'll be fine by me!

Roger's Facebook - nothing about Pink Floyd, but maybe David could also take part in it this year.

A note from Roger - July 11, 2014

July 11, 2014 at 5:47am

"Enough is enough".

In January this year I wrote a private letter to Neil Young, it was sent via his manager Elliot Roberts' email, I never received a reply of any kind.

More recently I spoke openly about The Rolling Stones performing in Tel Aviv.

In light of the appalling recent events in Israel and Gaza and my dismay at the the lack of any response from our governments and in a final appeal to Neil's possible attachment to the rights of all human beings, not just the disenfranchised natives of North America, but all human beings all over the world, I am publishing that letter now.

Here it Is.

Dear Neil Young.

There are rumors flying about that you are considering doing shows in Tel Aviv this year.

The picket lines have been crossed in this last year by one or two lightweights from our community but no one of your stature. Woody Guthrie would turn in his grave. Neil Young! You are one of my biggest heroes, you are one of a very short list, you, John Lennon, Woody Guthrie, Huddy Ledbetter, Harry Belafonte, Sam Cooke, Billie Holiday and, like some others, but not many, your songs have always been redolent of love and humanity and compassion for your fellow man and woman. I find it hard to believe that you would turn your back on the indigenous people of Palestine. That you would lend support to, and encourage and legitimize, with your presence, a colonial apartheid regime, largely settled from Europe, that seeks to confine the native people of the land, either in exile or in second class status in reservations and ghettos.

Please, brother, tell me it ain't so.

As I recall, back in the day, along with the rest of us (Stevie van Zandt, Bruce, Led Zep etc etc etc etc) you would not "Play In Sun City" I am asking you to stand on the same moral ground now. The late, great, Nelson Mandela lives on in us, we cannot let him down. He was explicit in his position and I quote, " We know too well that our freedom is incomplete without the freedom of the Palestinians". It is time for "Rock Against Racism" to show some of it's muscle by refusing to lend our names to the whitewashing of the illegal colonization of Palestinian land and the systematic oppression of its indigenous people. Unfortunately the opposition lobby has a lot of muscle too. They spend millions on their "Hasbara"(If like me you have no Hebrew)”Explaining” or to you and me "Propaganda". The propaganda machine is well oiled and ruthless. We, on the other hand, have only our commitment to non-violent resistance to lie down in front of the IDF caterpillar tractors that would raze the native people from the land of Palestine. We stand with those people, and with all the brave people of Israel and Palestine, Jewish and Arab alike who oppose The Israeli Governments brutal policies. We stand with Rachel Corrie, the young American woman who gave her life under the caterpillar's tracks. Please join me and countless other artists all over the world in solidarity with the oppressed and the disenfranchised. It is time to heed the peoples call. People like The Bedouin, the nomadic people of the Negev in the arid south of Israel, please research their plight, one village, Al-Araqib has been destroyed 63 times by IDF Bulldozers. If you are in doubt about any of this, I will go with you to Palestine, and Israel, if they’ll let me in, you will see what I have seen, and then let us figure out the right thing to do.

By the way I watched your Bridge School concert on YouTube last year, it was very moving, you were, of course magnificent. You had asked me to perform, and as I explained to your management, I would have gladly done so had I not already been committed to The Wall Tour in Europe and Stand Up For Heroes in New York. This year I will be pleased and proud to come and support you if you call.

With respect, and love.

Roger Waters.

PS.

Fyi. Nice Christmas present.

• 3 weeks later...

Its not much but, here's something

http://www.gigwise.com/news/92973/pink-floyds-new-album-the-endless-river-described-as-very-spacey

EDIT-

I am extremely bored. Here is a mock setlist I would like to see if they toured (yes, I am delusional)

Breathe
Time
Astronomy Domine
Learning to Fly
The Endless River (Full or most of it)
Yet Another Movie
Pigs (Three Different Ones)
High Hopes
Money
Eclipse

Edited by ZoSoRose

Roger's Facebook - nothing about Pink Floyd, but maybe David could also take part in it this year.
A note from Roger - July 11, 2014
July 11, 2014 at 5:47am
"Enough is enough".
In January this year I wrote a private letter to Neil Young, it was sent via his manager Elliot Roberts' email, I never received a reply of any kind.
More recently I spoke openly about The Rolling Stones performing in Tel Aviv.
In light of the appalling recent events in Israel and Gaza and my dismay at the the lack of any response from our governments and in a final appeal to Neil's possible attachment to the rights of all human beings, not just the disenfranchised natives of North America, but all human beings all over the world, I am publishing that letter now.
Here it Is.
Dear Neil Young.
There are rumors flying about that you are considering doing shows in Tel Aviv this year.
The picket lines have been crossed in this last year by one or two lightweights from our community but no one of your stature. Woody Guthrie would turn in his grave. Neil Young! You are one of my biggest heroes, you are one of a very short list, you, John Lennon, Woody Guthrie, Huddy Ledbetter, Harry Belafonte, Sam Cooke, Billie Holiday and, like some others, but not many, your songs have always been redolent of love and humanity and compassion for your fellow man and woman. I find it hard to believe that you would turn your back on the indigenous people of Palestine. That you would lend support to, and encourage and legitimize, with your presence, a colonial apartheid regime, largely settled from Europe, that seeks to confine the native people of the land, either in exile or in second class status in reservations and ghettos.
Please, brother, tell me it ain't so.
As I recall, back in the day, along with the rest of us (Stevie van Zandt, Bruce, Led Zep etc etc etc etc) you would not "Play In Sun City" I am asking you to stand on the same moral ground now. The late, great, Nelson Mandela lives on in us, we cannot let him down. He was explicit in his position and I quote, " We know too well that our freedom is incomplete without the freedom of the Palestinians". It is time for "Rock Against Racism" to show some of it's muscle by refusing to lend our names to the whitewashing of the illegal colonization of Palestinian land and the systematic oppression of its indigenous people. Unfortunately the opposition lobby has a lot of muscle too. They spend millions on their "Hasbara"(If like me you have no Hebrew)”Explaining” or to you and me "Propaganda". The propaganda machine is well oiled and ruthless. We, on the other hand, have only our commitment to non-violent resistance to lie down in front of the IDF caterpillar tractors that would raze the native people from the land of Palestine. We stand with those people, and with all the brave people of Israel and Palestine, Jewish and Arab alike who oppose The Israeli Governments brutal policies. We stand with Rachel Corrie, the young American woman who gave her life under the caterpillar's tracks. Please join me and countless other artists all over the world in solidarity with the oppressed and the disenfranchised. It is time to heed the peoples call. People like The Bedouin, the nomadic people of the Negev in the arid south of Israel, please research their plight, one village, Al-Araqib has been destroyed 63 times by IDF Bulldozers. If you are in doubt about any of this, I will go with you to Palestine, and Israel, if they’ll let me in, you will see what I have seen, and then let us figure out the right thing to do.
By the way I watched your Bridge School concert on YouTube last year, it was very moving, you were, of course magnificent. You had asked me to perform, and as I explained to your management, I would have gladly done so had I not already been committed to The Wall Tour in Europe and Stand Up For Heroes in New York. This year I will be pleased and proud to come and support you if you call.
With respect, and love.
Roger Waters.
PS.
Fyi. Nice Christmas present.

Waters should know that Shakey infamously flip flops between political positions. He can go from an outright lefty hippy (the writer of Ohio and Alabama) to a Bush loving redneck in the space of one album. Neil cannot even seem to decide if he is Canadian or American? He has being doing this across his whole career!

• 1 month later...

Interesting one of the song titles is called "Autumn '68".

I'm sure the album is going to have a lot of criticism, but Rick had been a big part of PF up to Animals, and it wasn't until TDB where he contributed more. I know he had some unreleased solo stuff but I don't know if any of that was brought into Pink Floyd for these sessions.

Thanks for ZoSo for the heads up! Here's all the info:

Cover art:

screen-shot-2014-09-22-at-9-39-16-am.png

Track list:

SIDE 1

1. "Things Left Unsaid"
2. "It’s What We Do"
3. "Ebb and Flow"

SIDE 2
1. "Sum"
2. "Skins"
3. "Unsung"
4. "Anisina"

SIDE 3
1. "The Lost Art of Conversation"
2. "On Noodle Street
3. "Night Light"
4. "Allons-y (1)"
5. "Autumn’68"
6. "Allons-y (2)"
7. "Talkin’ Hawkin'"

SIDE 4
1. "Calling"
2. "Eyes To Pearls"
3. "Surfacing"
4. "Louder Than Words"

Release date:

November 10, 2014

Further info:

Pink Floyd has revealed details of its upcoming album, The Endless River, which marks the band’s first new release in 20 years.

According to a new interview in Uncut (via SteveHoffman.TV), the album has a release date of November 10th. David Gilmour and Nick Mason began the recording process in November 2013 and spent 30 days overdubbing guitars and recording drums. Roxy Music guitarist and producer Phil Manzanera was also heavily involved in the creative process.

Update: Pink Floyd’s website has revealed the album’s artwork (above) and tracklist (below). Spanning 18 tracks, the album will be available on standard CD, double vinyl, and as a deluxe box set that includes 39-minutes of extra material. Pre-orders are now ongoing.

Of particular note is the inclusion of original organ recordings from Pink Floyd’s Richard Wright, taken from rehearsals dating back to June 1969.

The duo also clarified some of the ongoing rumors, namely that the material draws heavily from Gilmour’s unreleased experimental album, The Big Spliff. According to Uncut, the album is not at all based on The Big Spliff and incorporates only a few seconds from the original project. It also does not contain any material “The Soundscape”, the instrumental track originally released on the band’s 1995 Pulse Cassette.

Rather, The Endless River contains four different pieces on each side of the record, which focus on the “more atmospheric and digressive aspects of Pink Floyd and includes snippets of conversation.” One song, “Louder Than Words”, contains lyrics embracing the full history of the band. Gilmour sings: “We bitch and we fight // But this thing that we do // It’s louder than words // The sum of our parts // The beat of our hearts/ It’s louder than words.”

You know what? I don't think I have ever gotten the thrill of picking up a record I had been dying to get at a store the day it comes out and experiencing it for the first time, with the booklet and everything.

They always leak a few days- weeks prior, I download them and listen, then buy the record as a formality.

I think this time, I am going to wait until the 10th, and pick it up after work and then listen to it in my apartment for the first time. I may fold, but I am going to really try

You know what? I don't think I have ever gotten the thrill of picking up a record I had been dying to get at a store the day it comes out and experiencing it for the first time, with the booklet and everything.

They always leak a few days- weeks prior, I download them and listen, then buy the record as a formality.

I think this time, I am going to wait until the 10th, and pick it up after work and then listen to it in my apartment for the first time. I may fold, but I am going to really try

I've actually been able to do that with the last couple of new albums I've been looking forward to and it's really paid off. Two I can think of are the latest Mayer Hawthorne and Jack White albums. I avoided the leaks and waited til I had the LPs in my hand to hear them for the first time that way. It was a super cool experience because I looking through the gatefold, reading lyrics and everything just like the good old days.

My local place lets me have new releases as soon as they come in, so I usually end up getting them the day before or sometimes the Friday before, but you get what I'm saying.

The last 2 Floyd records were very good, I definitely miss the Waters influence but it still has many shades of the PF vibe. I'm not lying, if Roger was involved I'd be 30% more excited but Gilmour/Wright is a killer tandem, Mason imo is a couple levels below, he's a good drummer but no one can say he's an integral cog of the mechanics as much as I appreciate his line in One of These Days.

Not that it matters, but I am really curious on what sales will be like.

It is no secret that this record is not going to be what the general public will expect from Pink Floyd. Yet there is a massive marketing campaign being put in place. People know it is coming out, and there does seem to be hype behind it.

I have no idea what will happen- lots of sales but disappointment that its instrumental, low sales because no Waters/ the album's nature, indifference, etc. There are a lot of ways this could go.