Pink Floyd-The Endless River OUT NOW!

RussTCB

How, ehh, does one go about procuring the, ehh, said item?

Well, one would definitely not go look for it at kickass torrents because that would be illegal.

It's on The Pirate Bay as well.

Just to give everyone some insight into why I really want to hold off: it's more or less because of vinyl. I've never had the chance to listen to a brand new Pink Floyd album on vinyl in my life. I got into them when Delicate Sound of Thunder came out, which I bought on cassette. When The Division Bell came out, I didn't have a vinyl set up so I just grabbed it on CD.

Seeing as this is likely the last new Floyd record that will be released in my lifetime, I really want to hold off and try to hear it straight through on LP for the first time.

Alright here we go-

I'll give my initial impressions on the album as a whole and then go through each of the "sides" a bit. As you all know, this album was only announced a few months ago. Before that, it seemed that Pink Floyd had ceased to really exist in 1994 aside from a few one- offs and, of course, the reunion show of 2005. It was just a shock to me coming on here and seeing a thread about a new Floyd album. We got the brief mention of it being "mainly ambient and instrumental", and that can mean a great deal of things. Instrumental and ambient sounded great to me! But I did have some worries. Would it sound like a cohesive work? Would it sound "cut and pasted"? (After all, Rick is gone) Would it be dated? Would it be good? After all, was this just rejected material from 1993? And what did ambient mean? Would this just be a collection of nonsensical sound effects with a few random instrumentals thrown in? (like "Soundscape", their piece used on the Division Bell Tour).

Well, I have played through the album once, and all of my fears are put to rest. It could be because I am a massive Floyd fan, but I truly think this record exceeded my already very high expectations. "Ambient and instrumental" is actually a pretty good description of what The Endless River is, but it is so well done and it all flows together into a very cohesive and powerful piece of music. The record is split into four "sides" signifying sides on a vinyl. Each side has its own feel and contains different tracks, but the whole album has a very similar sound to it. I credit that to its stellar production. Every instrument is crystal clear and it never sounds dated.

Another very surprising thing about the album is how in sync the band is. In my opinion, this is the most "band" sounding album since Animals or The Wall. Hell, you might even say it is the most band sounding album since WYWH, if you think Animals and The Wall were too dominated by Waters. Gilmour, Mason, and Wright all get their moments to shine as equals and it really shows. If you told me Wright's parts were recorded over 20 years ago (or more counting Autumn '68), I wouldn't believe you. It sounds like the three of them got together with the rest of the Division Bell gang, went into a room, and jammed on their best ideas. Gilmour's tone and playing is phenominal (and it doesn't dominate the album, it is very tasteful and even subtle at times), Mason provides some of his best work in decades, and if you had to pick, Wright is arguably the star of the show.

This does NOT sound like Division Bell outtakes. In fact, parts of it sent shivers down my spine with how much they sounded like they came from WYWH sessions. You get glimpses of 70s era Floyd, 80s/90s Floyd, and then perhaps coolest of all, a modern Pink Floyd.

Side 1

The album opens with the first of three vocal sections of the record. Here, it is a spoken word segment from I believe members of the band. From there you get a very ambient piece with lots of volume swells and synthesizers. It is almost like a subtler Shine On. The anticipation builds for what comes next and I really wasn't ready for what followed- the second section, It's What We Do. This part starts with an awesome keyboard part and goes into what sounds like a moog synthesizer. Think Welcome To The Machine here. I am not fucking with you, it sounds like it belongs on Wish You Were Here. It segues into some fantastic guitar playing from David and the whole piece is just an increadible jam involving Nick, David, and Rick. This is probably my favorite guitar solo on the album and everything just comes together. People bitching about how this is not "Pink Floyd", here you fucking go! This piece is also from where the first clip of the album is, although that piece of the solo isn't necessarily representative of the whole work. The Side ends with a lovely instrumental involving Rick and some slide playing from Gilmour. And just like that, Side 1 is complete. We are off to a great start!

Side 2

We again start with a slow keyboard to build up the anticipation then the guitars and drums come in and hit you. We get a few cool piano fills and David even plays a bit with his whammy bar. Halfway through the first track things start going a bit into overdrive and you get this awesome "chugging" (sorry I suck at describing music) sort of jam that leads right into a lot of ambient sounds with... a fucking drum solo... by Nick Mason. It isn't like a crazy drum spot- light solo, but it is Nick really trying something he hasn't done before. Remember when I said each member got to really add something to this? That includes Nick! The Side briefly goes into a bit of darker territory with a really cool, short, almost menacing piece and then it leads into its finale- Anisina. Anisina is the keyboard piece they unveiled in the second clip and the full version was released last week. It is a very nice chord progression from Rick with some slide guitar from David. This is also the only appearance of a saxophone on the album. A great ending to the side with some beautiful melodies.

Side 3

Side 3 is really cool and it differs a bit from the previous two. It consists of more tracks, each a lot shorter than the previous 2 sides. Its quite a musical journey, really, and it might be my favorite side. Another spacey keyboard with some great clean guitar and piano over it. Almost Tangerine Dream like? No, its definitely Pink Floyd! The introduction here (along with other pieces of this album) are what I envision a modern Pink Floyd to sound like. Well, it is modern Pink Floyd but you get what I mean. Some strings kick in and then we quickly find ourselves in the next section of the side- which is almost like a "lounge" jam. Before you know it, you are back to a slow ambient piece with lots of synth pads and volume swells on the guitar. It puts you in a really mellow and calm mood at first, almost like a sense of serenity then... things kick up into what may be my favorite segment. The next segment here is called Allons- Y (1). This is the piece we got earlier in the week and was also the third sound clip released. It almost sounds subtely like parts of The Wall at times and leads into a very dark and almost somber organ solo by Mr. Wright. I believe this was the piece taken from 1968 and it sticks out here in the coolest fucking way. Some subtle guitar effects and other keyboards are added on top of it. You would have no idea this was recorded in '68 and whoevers idea it was to use this is a genious. Just when you think things are going to slow down a bit, Nick comes back in under the keyboards and we're back to Allons- Y (2). Just a brilliant section on this album. The Side ends with another beautiful jam with the second vocal portion. Here we get a Stephen Hawking speech sample about the importance of communication. Its a nice nod to The Division Bell and flows naturally with the music.

Side 4

Alright, here we go. The last section of the album. Some cool sound effects start us off. Its almost a bit unsettling, and we go into a darker amient piece. I don't want to call it creepy, but I think unsettling is a good word. Its really cool, and once again, this is what a modern Pink Floyd's sound is. We get a brief piece after this with what sounds like a miced acoustic guitar on top of Nick and Rick's playing. We get one final jam before the finale, and it focuses on a slide guitar solo jam with the whole band kicking in. There are some pretty subtle backing vocals here too. Finally, the famliar bells can be heard and Louder Than Words begins. The intro to the song sounds great here, especially in context with everything that came before it. I would be lying if I said I didn't get a bit sad listening to it, knowing my journey of listening to a piece of a new Floyd album had come to a close. I have always liked Louder Than Words, but I can say I am liking it a lot more with the context of The Endless River as a whole. The music takes a forefront on this album, and it conveys a lot of different emotions since the start. Having Louder Than Words at the end is a great way to wrap everything up, and it really sounds good here. Before I know it, Gilmour is finishing up his final recorded solo with Pink Floyd and after a few more effects, just like that, they are gone forever.

Final Verdict

Sorry for the long review, can you tell this release is important to me? Anyways, I know post- Waters Pink Floyd is one of the most controversial lineup shakeups in music. Let me start by saying, it is too bad Roger could not have contributed to this in some way just because it would have been nice. On the flip side, this was an ode to Wright that started in an era when Roger was not in the band. Most importantly, the music does not suffer with Roger absent. Pratt and the rest of the studio musicians on here more than carry their weight.

If you look at critical reviews, there have been quite a few negative ones. Am I going to say those people are idiots and they are wrong? No, because this is a hard album for the normal music- listener to take in. It is very much ambient at times, and there is only one track that really contains vocals in a traditional capacity. This is very much an ALBUM and it is meant to be taken in as such, one continous piece. However, if you are a fan of Pink Floyd, jamming, ambient music, instrumentals, and can get past the whole Waters thing, you will probably really like this album. For me, this should not have been called "Gilmour and Mason" because that is not what this is- this is very much Pink Floyd. In fact parts of this sound like classic Floyd more than The Final Cut, Momentary Lapse, and Division Bell. It isn't a trip in nostalgia though (be it with 70s Floyd or 90s Floyd), and it contains its own unique sound. As Gilmour described, this is Pink Floyd for the 21st century, and I feel as though they captured that.

If Gilmour and Mason were to tour as Pink Floyd and perform The Endless River live, I would be 100% for it. I feel as though Rick would approve and feel as though the music is worthy of it. However, I repect their decesion and am glad I got to experience the release of a new Pink Floyd album. A few months ago, I would have thought that to be impossible. I will definitely pick the CD up on Monday.

Its all a bit bittersweet and a bit of a tease. I LOVE Pink Floyd, and am so grateful to have this album, but just like that, they are gone again.

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

First things first: STELLAR review. Even if I end up disagreeing with any or all of it when I get to listen, I still think it's awesome that you're so full of passion for this.

Now. On to my questions:

... a fucking drum solo... by Nick Mason. It isn't like a crazy drum spot- light solo...

Is it similar to his part on the title track for A Saucerful Of Secrets? Just trying to get an idea of what you're describing.

Also:

Some cool sound effects start us off. Its almost a bit unsettling, and we go into a darker amient piece. I don't want to call it creepy, but I think unsettling is a good word.

Can you compare this part to anything prior? The "screams" in Echoes? The evil sounds of Welcome To The Machine? The desparate feel of most of The Final Cut? I'm not saying you have to make a direct comparison. I'm just curious if it hits you like any of those pieces.

First things first: STELLAR review. Even if I end up disagreeing with any or all of it when I get to listen, I still think it's awesome that you're so full of passion for this.

Now. On to my questions:

... a fucking drum solo... by Nick Mason. It isn't like a crazy drum spot- light solo...

Is it similar to his part on the title track for A Saucerful Of Secrets? Just trying to get an idea of what you're describing.

Also:

Some cool sound effects start us off. Its almost a bit unsettling, and we go into a darker amient piece. I don't want to call it creepy, but I think unsettling is a good word.

Can you compare this part to anything prior? The "screams" in Echoes? The evil sounds of Welcome To The Machine? The desparate feel of most of The Final Cut? I'm not saying you have to make a direct comparison. I'm just curious if it hits you like any of those pieces.

Maybe a bit like Saucerful! Not quite as crazy with the sound effects but it is music over his drumming.

And as for the unsettling part in Side 4 isn't quite like echoes. It almost has keyboard playing like harmonic minor or something over it. A more middle eastern-esque scale. And like, it has a lot of sudden powerful chords. Welcome to the Machine is most similar to Side 2 and nothing quite sounds like The Final Cut.

Its just really hard to compare!

And thanks, I am so happy with this record. Can't wait to have the physical copy

I almost feel guilty posting this because I don't want to disappoint anyone (especially Russ!), but this is disheartening to see:

http://www.metacritic.com/music/the-endless-river/pink-floyd

I haven't listened to it yet, but that's pretty poor.

I'm with ZoSoRose in not caring what the critics are saying. I'm gonna give it a listen and decide for myself whether I like it or not.

Rolling Stone gave TDB something like 1 1/2 or 2 stars and I love that album.

yeah, ultimately i don't care what critics say either - some of the best albums weren't well-regarded upon release.

still, i would be lying if i said it's not at least a little disheartening. i'll temper my expectations.

I hear that. I really don't have any expectations to be honest. On top of that, I hate Louder Than Words.

If I like the rest of it anywhere near as much as ZoSoRose does, I'll consider it a win lol

Thing is...I listen to a lot of ambient music. And I mean A LOT ( I have all albums by Robert Rich, Steve Roach, Jeff Greinke, Alio Die, Lustmord, Eno ... ).

And this Pink Floyd album. I don't know...To me it sounds like a rather bland ambient album that anyone could have recorded with additional average Gilmour solos.

Kinda disappointed so far to be honest. Maybe it will grow on me but I doubt it as I will always compare it to the best ambient music I've heard and it is nowhere near as good.

Louder Than Words is okay, nothing really wrong with it but it's not great, almost sounds on autopilot. I'll have to listen to the whole record a few times. I have to listen to The Final Cut before that happens though, I'm still not made up on how I feel about Lapse. The Waters influence is never a coherent excuse for me because TDB was a solid, solid Floyd record imo and from what I hear The Final Cut isn't exactly superlative and that was like 90% Rog at the helm.

Louder Than Words is okay, nothing really wrong with it but it's not great, almost sounds on autopilot. I'll have to listen to the whole record a few times. I have to listen to The Final Cut before that happens though, I'm still not made up on how I feel about Lapse. The Waters influence is never a coherent excuse for me because TDB was a solid, solid Floyd record imo and from what I hear The Final Cut isn't exactly superlative and that was like 90% Rog at the helm.

I really like Lapse. The 80s production is very jarring, but some of the songs are just stellar- Sorrow, Learning to Fly, On the Turning Away, and Yet Another Movie are top notch. Despite the album being not as well recieved it sitll sold a ton and two of its songs are still played on the radio. Its solid in my book

I really like Lapse. The 80s production is very jarring, but some of the songs are just stellar- Sorrow, Learning to Fly, On the Turning Away, and Yet Another Movie are top notch. Despite the album being not as well recieved it sitll sold a ton and two of its songs are still played on the radio. Its solid in my book

It has some great songs for sure, The Dogs of War, Sorrow and Learning To Fly are my faves, I'll have to give it a couple more spins. It's the middle I feel lacks something. It's all Gilmour basically if I remember, I might even have preferred this and Division to combine for a single brilliant record but then again each is a product of its moment and with hindsight at the elapsed years it's nice to have several more tracks, let's be honest, the very least the worst ones are is decent.

It has some great songs for sure, The Dogs of War, Sorrow and Learning To Fly are my faves, I'll have to give it a couple more spins. It's the middle I feel lacks something. It's all Gilmour basically if I remember, I might even have preferred this and Division to combine for a single brilliant record but then again each is a product of its moment and with hindsight at the elapsed years it's nice to have several more tracks, let's be honest, the very least the worst ones are is decent.

I busted out the Lapse LP a couple of months ago for the first time in a long time. Couldn't even get through the whole thing due to the ridiculously bad production. Switched to Delicate Sound instead based on production alone.

Yeah, honestly it sounds like The Endless River is more of a Pink Floyd album than Lapse because each member is pretty equal on it. Gilmour essentially did all of Lapse with Mason and Wright ocassionally jumping in. Still, I like the album quite a bit.

I busted out the Lapse LP a couple of months ago for the first time in a long time. Couldn't even get through the whole thing due to the ridiculously bad production. Switched to Delicate Sound instead based on production alone.

I'm used to the production but it is insanely dated. It was probably great when it came out lol

Picking mine up in an hour or so. My intention is to return home and listen to both LPs straight through. I'll do my best to post a review ASAP.

On a side note, my record store owner sent me a text saying he had a Floyd bootleg on LP and wanted to know if I wanted him to save it for me. I looked into it and it's one of the only shows from the 87 tour where they were doing Echoes, so I'm all over that.

In total, I'll be brining 5 LPs of Pink Floyd home from the record store today and that's just fine by me!

• Like 1

Sounds awesome, Russ! Just be warned, TER is not Division Bell 2.0

That's fine by me. I like TDB, but I certainly don't want or need more of it.

I re-read your review last night and it's got me very curious/hopeful about what I'm going to hear today.