Appetite For Democracy First-Week Sales Revealed

These numbers should be illegal on this damn forum lolz

Forum logic:

AFD didn't sell shit what a failure.

Axl is in a commercial promoting the band to try and sell more. What a sell out!!

Axl Is in a commercial promoting the band? Please link me to that! I really want to see it!

Forum logic:

Axl is in a commercial promoting the band to try and sell more. What a sell out!!

Axl Is in a commercial promoting the band? Please link me to that! I really want to see it!

You didn't see the budlight commercial with the rap paradise city? Lol unless your stating that he did a commercial only to sell bud lights and not his own image which Axl=GNR

Forum logic:

You didn't see the budlight commercial with the rap paradise city? Lol unless your stating that he did a commercial only to sell bud lights and not his own image which Axl=GNR

Oh, for me it's just a cameo appearance. he's hardly recognizable in it and probably did it for free. the sell out comments came just to make fun of those who called slash a "media whore".

Forum logic:

Oh, for me it's just a cameo appearance. he's hardly recognizable in it and probably did it for free. the sell out comments came just to make fun of those who called slash a "media whore".

Yah true, but was the most air time he's done in god knows how long. Maybe since 06 mtv awards? Well ig golden gods counts lol.

For the record I think it's one of the greatest shows out there, even when Axl was in the wilderness kinda for a couple years until he found his star power a few weeks ago and mixed it up letting the band deviate from clockwork rigidity, it's still a superb occasion, just that releasing a video of such little progress when there's so much more this line up could offer, it's a bit of a let down having them focus on that direction.

Decent sales. A little promotion goes a long way. In my store, I pushed this DVD pretty hard. I had a poster up for a week before release, ordered in extra copies of Appetite and was playing GNR on a frequent basis. So while not every Walmart or Kmart got it in, I made sure my Kmart did and I sold out. I got in 4 Blu Ray and 10 DVD. So far I sold 12 since release. In my tiny reigon, that's good enough for me.

• Like 1

Good number for a non marketed bluray.

Will sell around 200 000 copies ,n a year worldwide imo.

Any release typically does their best numbers the first week. Those are the people who were waiting to buy it.

Alos, I've got a good source in the UMG mail room in Columbia that SWEARS the blu-ray topped 7 figures.

So here's the dilemma, has interest/legitimacy in eyes of the mainstream fans (who still fill the arenas without caring that much about new GNR), has this endless touring cycle grown new fans of new GNR to the degree that a new record will sell better than it would've done a few years back when many of us perceived the momentum to have reached its peak, or did it indeed reach its zenith in 2011? Obviously albums take a big hit with free downloads these days but fans are more willing to travel to gigs since they cannot readily experience them thru youtube etc. I personally believe fans will flock to a band named GNR as long as Axl is leading it and whoever is in the band is competent, if he played half the set new GNR songs and half classic GNR songs but mayhap Axl doesn't really believe this, thus the hesitancy to release anything new.

• Like 1

So here's the dilemma, has interest/legitimacy in eyes of the mainstream fans (who still fill the arenas without caring that much about new GNR), has this endless touring cycle grown new fans of new GNR to the degree that a new record will sell better than it would've done a few years back when many of us perceived the momentum to have reached its peak, or did it indeed reach its zenith in 2011? Obviously albums take a big hit with free downloads these days but fans are more willing to travel to gigs since they cannot readily experience them thru youtube etc. I personally believe fans will flock to a band named GNR as long as Axl is leading it and whoever is in the band is competent, if he played half the set new GNR songs and half classic GNR songs but mayhap Axl doesn't really believe this, thus the hesitancy to release anything new.

His idea of making a newGN'R would have worked if he had consistenly released more albums with nuGNR than he did with old line-up.... That's his mistake....

ChinDem in 2008..... CD 2 in 2010... CD in 2012...

His whole life dilemma would be solved by now.

• Like 1

hey guys you know GN'R always has a slow start, Appetite didn't sell much at the beginning either

Always? Lies debuted at #5. UYI 1&2 became the first two albums from the same artist to debut at the top of the charts on Billboard simultaneously.

CD did it's best business in week 1.

• Like 1

His idea of making a newGN'R would have worked if he had consistenly released more albums with nuGNR than he did with old line-up.... That's his mistake....

Exactly, he got Ashba in 2009 and BBF in 2006 and by all accounts had a lot of material still left lying around to work with from the chinese sessions and plenty of time to make new songs, so he can't lay the blame on losing Bucket/Finck and he's had at least 3 full tours to tour that record successfully, lord know what the hell he's waiting for.

I had to look for this pretty hard at Best Buy. It was in the DVD section buried amongst some other stuff. I thought it would of been at the end of an isle with a new release sign or something. They must still be pissed over the CD deal.

It's so ridiculous that this is a fight when we're working with so little information. Debuting at #1 = Great. 4800 = ???. I haven't seen anyone propose a solid comparison, looking at numbers, release dates, retail availability, streaming and download sales, market expectations, and so on. So anyone who says much beyond "#1 is pretty cool" and starts talking about how great or how poor sales are is doing nothing but revealing their own biases and lazy thinking.

It sold ONLY ONE copy in Southamerica and they inmediately dissected the tape, put it up on YouTube for the "bros" to watch at the cyber-cafe :rofl-lol:

(will not tell to which channel it is uploaded, tho' :P)

..which they didn't because they were busy responding to your mom's messages on Whatsapp.

Tinyrobot for president!!!!

It sold ONLY ONE copy in Southamerica and they inmediately dissected the tape, put it up on YouTube for the "bros" to watch at the cyber-cafe :rofl-lol:

(will not tell to which channel it is uploaded, tho' :P)

..which they didn't because they were busy responding to your mom's messages on Whatsapp.

O_o my mom doesn't have wazzup...

Tinyrobot for president!!!!

yaaay!! rock3

It's so ridiculous that this is a fight when we're working with so little information. Debuting at #1 = Great. 4800 = ???. I haven't seen anyone propose a solid comparison, looking at numbers, release dates, retail availability, streaming and download sales, market expectations, and so on. So anyone who says much beyond "#1 is pretty cool" and starts talking about how great or how poor sales are is doing nothing but revealing their own biases and lazy thinking.

Somebody posted some other opening week sales earlier in this topic.

Metallica, Motley and Dream Theater had better opening weeks.

Megadeth and Saxon had worse opening weeks.

The only thing I thought was funny is how a few posters are already making excuses for the 4,800 number. If this had happened and if that had happened then the sales totals would be higher! That's ridiculous because those "ifs" didn't happen!!! And, because you can apply those same "ifs" to all the other releases as well. Maybe Megadeth would have beaten GnR's numbers if they had more promotion, more prime store front area and were sold in more retail outlets.

I hate this saying, but...........it is what is is.

Metallica sold 10,000

GnR sold 4,800

Megadeth sold 2,000

Saxon sold 500

No need for excuses. No need to try and justify the numbers.

Not sure why the die-hard group can't just enjoy the fact GnR debuted at #1.

Making excuses just leads to ridiculous arguments that don't really need to happen.

We should be celebrating the #1 position, not debating all the "ifs." If I had a billion dollars I'd be a billionaire. But I don't, so I'm not. No matter how many "what ifs" I throw into the equation.

GnR debuted at #1. That's a great thing.

It didn't sell as well as other big name band's DVDs did.

Who cares. It's not a competition.

Focus on the positive and stop concentrating so much on the negatives.

• Like 1