Do you believe in ghosts?

I've definitely had some weird stuff happen. Disembodied voices, doors opening by themselves, my stereo being turned on when I come home from work (it was off when I left in the morning), etc.

My dad has had his fair of experiences over the years as well. He's definitely a lightning rod from paranormal activity, it seems.

Yes. I grew up in a haunted house. My mom still lives there.

I've definitely had some weird stuff happen. Disembodied voices, doors opening by themselves, my stereo being turned on when I come home from work (it was off when I left in the morning), etc.

My dad has had his fair of experiences over the years as well. He's definitely a lightning rod from paranormal activity, it seems.

Jack-Nicholson-lol.gif

I have a question... Is it me or do only Americans believe in ghosts ? I have never met anyone who believes in ghosts, never met anyone who has visited a haunted house. But I've seen American tv shows dedicated to people who genuinely seem to believe in ghosts and here on this board alone, there are several people who have experienced paranormal activity of some sort. I'm not trying to make fun of people who do believe in ghosts, as I said earlier, I'm really intrigued by believers. Are we Europeans just too down to earth for this kind of things ?

Edited by Lio

I have a question... Is it me or do only Americans believe in ghosts ? I have never met anyone who believes in ghosts, never met anyone who has visited a haunted house. But I've seen American tv shows dedicated to people who genuinely seem to believe in ghosts and here on this board alone, there are several people who have experienced paranormal activity of some sort. I'm not trying to make fun of people who do believe in ghosts, as I said earlier, I'm really intrigued by believers. Are we Europeans just too down to earth for this kind of things ?

Ghost Hunters International had most of their episodes in Europe.

The majority of Americans believe in gods, you can't really blame them for believing in ghosts, too.

I don't think so. A lot of people here believe in God too, they don't believe in ghosts. I would love nothing more than to be convinced. I mean, DangerousCurves has lived in a haunted house. So if I go there, would I be able to witness it ? What happens ? What are McCoy's dad's experiences of paranormal activity ?

Or can you only witness it if you believe ?

I am curious about the witnessing ghosts only if you believe. I've had friends and my wife all claim to see ghosts and they admit to believing in ghosts. I don't believe in ghosts and I've never seen a ghost.

I've heard some things at work though, and people say the building is haunted.

The majority of Americans believe in gods, you can't really blame them for believing in ghosts, too.

I don't think so. A lot of people here believe in God too, they don't believe in ghosts.

To me, if you have already abandoned rationality by believing in one form of supernatural creatures then it really isn't such a large step to start believing in another because you have already accepted that such things can exist.

But yeah, why does Americans believe in ghosts and not people in Netherlands? Well, I would say that people in Netherlands for the most part has better education and is more informed that your average American. America is such a diverse country when it comes to its population but it seems to me there is a rather strong undercurrent of irrationality where people embrace all kinds of supernatural beliefs. We actually have the same thing here in Norway.

America is such a diverse country when it comes to its population but it seems to me there is a rather strong undercurrent of irrationality where people embrace all kinds of supernatural beliefs. We actually have the same thing here in Norway.

What do Norwegians believe in ? cupcakes ? (Not trolling, I think I once read that in a book. I think it was a children's book though.)

America is such a diverse country when it comes to its population but it seems to me there is a rather strong undercurrent of irrationality where people embrace all kinds of supernatural beliefs. We actually have the same thing here in Norway.

What do Norwegians believe in ? cupcakes ? (Not trolling, I think I once read that in a book. I think it was a children's book though.)

In addition to beliefs in gods we have, like in so many countries, a fairly strong new age movement where people, mostly fairly young people, believe in all kinds of trendy supernatural things (karma, reincarnation, spirits, etc). Basically whatever is popular at the moment. But, and I guess this is more unique to Norway, we have, especially among the older generations and the indigenous Sami people, deep-rooted beliefs that I guess is connected to nature, like beliefs in various spirits that are connected to specific places, various forms of healing, bad spells, etc. For instance in my own family there are older people who believe in the ability to stop bleeding by rituals and particular haunted geographic areas that come from old Sami beliefs. I am not saying this is wide-spread at all, but I do think these things, and their nature, is somewhat special to us. I don't think many people believe in cupcakes any more, for some reason that particular form of irrational belief has died out.

• Like 1

I believe in what I can see. And ghosts are see through, so no.

In all seriousness though, I don't. The whole notion of "a spirit wants to mess with your head for no reason other than because it can" seems ridiculous to me. Of course, I have some religious beliefs that probably seem silly to a lot of people, so I don't have a right to judge about anything.

That's not to say ghost stories don't unsettle me though. For example, Robert the Doll. For those of you that don't know, Robert the Doll is a doll that "lives" in a museum down in Florida, and many people claim to have seen him move and change his facial expressions before their very eyes. Part of it's probably the pediophobia in me, but that story has always scared the hell out of me for some reason. Same with that "Annabelle the Doll" story nobody can shut up about anymore.

In addition to beliefs in gods we have, like in so many countries, a fairly strong new age movement where people, mostly fairly young people, believe in all kinds of trendy supernatural things (karma, reincarnation, spirits, etc). Basically whatever is popular at the moment. But, and I guess this is more unique to Norway, we have, especially among the older generations and the indigenous Sami people, deep-rooted beliefs that I guess is connected to nature, like beliefs in various spirits that are connected to specific places, various forms of healing, bad spells, etc. For instance in my own family there are older people who believe in the ability to stop bleeding by rituals and particular haunted geographic areas that come from old Sami beliefs. I am not saying this is wide-spread at all, but I do think these things, and their nature, is somewhat special to us. I don't think many people believe in cupcakes any more, for some reason that particular form of irrational belief has died out.
Norse gods are great. Thor was awesome to be fair. I've never heard of him ordering his followers to cut women's genitals off or anything. He pretty much just goes around twatting people with his hammer and leaves it at that. :)

Norse gods are great. Thor was awesome to be fair. I've never heard of him ordering his followers to cut women's genitals off or anything. He pretty much just goes around twatting people with his hammer and leaves it at that. :)

It's still a bunch of cack, though. Us Norwegians traded out Thor and Odin out for Jeesus for some reason. They are both as believable as unicorns and leprechauns.

Those who believe in bs believe in Jesus, just like you do in the US. They aren't catholic, though. They are protestant. I'm a rational person, so I'm an atheist.