Are PS4/XBOne worth the cost of an upgrade?

Dazey

I have Xbox One and I honestly love it. Is it necessary? That is a bit more complicated.

I've enjoyed Titanfall, Forza, ACIV, Watchdogs, and some indie games on it. Thing is, all of these except Forza are available on 360/PS3. The same will go for Destiny and all games in the Master Chief Collection are accessible on 360 (in a limited way). We are still in the "cross gen" transition where most titles will be available for both eras of consoles. However, the better performing editions will be on PS4 and Xbone. I do like all the other features my Xbone has but that isn't the must buy reason of owning it.

I'm glad I upgraded because my 360 died, but it may not be necessary now. Xbone has a lot of great things happening but Halo 5 will be the beginning of the "next gen" for it. Same goes for PS4 which is having an even slower release start. However, when we reach Fall of 2014 cross gen releases will be phased out. You can get away with a 360 or PS3 for the next 6 months or so, but it'll be time to upgrade soon if you want to keep up with the newest releases.

Edited by ZoSoRose

I was thinking about buying a PS4, but I don't want to pay to play online

Really depends on the game, quite a few of the launch games where free to play online. Not sure about any of the current ones.

I have both PS3/PS4. My biggest gripe with my PS4 atm is that there isn't exactly a wide selection of games out there for it along with not being able to play PS3 games on it currently.

Final Fantasy XV, The Witcher 3, Dragon Age 3 ect all games I was looking forward to last year when I got it. All delayed till 2015.

If you consider yourself a casual gamer, than probably not just quite yet. There are still a lot of great games on PS3/Xbox 360 to play. Better to play those first, then upgrade to a new console. By then, you can grab a lot of the good to great games that came out earlier for a lot less money. Unless it's GTA, I'll never buy a game when it first comes out. I'd rather wait and pay $10-$20 for it.

Personally, the only game I play a lot is Tiger Woods PGA Golf, and they won't be releasing the next iteration until next year. So I won't be upgrading until March or April of 2015.

• 2 months later...

The only concole I own is a Wii U. I'm a casual gamer at best so it's all I need. I briefly considered getting a PS4, but I don't see myself every really digging into the higher end games.

That's the only console I own this generation as well. Will probably get a PS4 when price drops and God of War comes out. Wii U is turning out to be quite a nice console though.

Wii U has steadily amassed a killer library. And Smash Bros. will be well worth the cost alone.

TitanFall was the only game thus far that tempted me to upgrade, but I'm more a Playstation guy and the 360 version turned out to be fine. That said, there's a surprising number of big games coming starting early 2015(Arkham Knight being 1) which will be new gen only. Seems suicidal considering the still limited install base, but guess they gotta force the issue at some point.

If the PS4(or XboxOne) had been backwards compatible, I'd have bit the bullet and bought back near release...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

My Xbox One is such a piece of shit. It froze 3 times in a row on me the other night. It's just a glitchy mess.

Xbox Snap is cool, but without kinect it's not user friendly.

Is it the Xbox or the game? While I don't have an Xbox One, my 360 locks up a lot when I play certain games, while runs smoothly on others.

I think for anyone returning to console gaming they should stick with a PS3/Xbox 360. There's just way too much value in these systems to jump to the new systems. I still have a backlog of 10-15 games to get to (that I may never end up playing). You can buy unbelievable games for a PS3/Xbox 360 for less than $15 (in some cases, less than $5-$10).