Are PS4/XBOne worth the cost of an upgrade?

Dazey

Has anybody here bought either of these and if so are they worth the cost of upgrading yet?

I've had a 360 and a PS3 for years and so far I can't really see all that much of an improvement graphically between generations.

I mean if you compared NES to SNES, SNES to N64, PS1 to PS2 and XBox to XBox 360 there was always a massive improvement in graphical performance.

I just can't see anything like that level of improvement In this new gen barring slightly nicer textures and wotnot.

As a pure spec nerd with no dog in this fight, I say ABSO-FRIGGIN-LUTLEY not. The only difference that either of them seem to be adding is social media connectivity. Combine that with the fact that I believe neither are backward compatible, and the fact that I believe the PS3 actually eliminated many of the media server capabilities, I don't see it.

Right now? Eh, it depends. I have an Xbox One and it's a pretty decent machine, but it's still early in its lifetime and doesn't have that many games out, but some of the titles it has are pretty impressive and fun. I'd say it's worth it if enough games you want to play are out exclusively for it, but otherwise? Probably a good idea to wait. I can't speak much for the PS4 though, but it doesn't really look like there are many worthwhile games out for it yet.

Worth it for the console, yes. The games are still too pricey though, but they are coming down. New games at £50 are not worth it.

I have a PS4 and what is going to be great is (for another £80) you can get Playstation TV in september. You can stream your PS4 to another TV in the house over wifi. Also playstion Now will be availible shortly, which is going to be 'a netflix for games'. Only ps3 titles but they will add ps1 and 2. That will be for the console and PS TV. Obviously all this is going to add up. I never had a ps3 so theres a whole bunch of games i can play now.

You can grab a Ps4 on ebay for £285 new in box from a seller on ebay, or at gamestop for £329. I cant see them slashing anymore money of it before xmas. Xbox one is £349 without camera. Camera on both consoles are a joke and a waste of money.

I guess it comes down to how much ££££ you have and how often you play games?

Edited by Axl_morris

Has anybody here bought either of these and if so are they worth the cost of upgrading yet?

I've had a 360 and a PS3 for years and so far I can't really see all that much of an improvement graphically between generations.

I mean if you compared NES to SNES, SNES to N64, PS1 to PS2 and XBox to XBox 360 there was always a massive improvement in graphical performance.

I just can't see anything like that level of improvement In this new gen barring slightly nicer textures and wotnot.

Get a PS4 because Uncharted 4, although that's next year so if you don't want any of the other games, I'd wait. Don't even look in the direction of the disaster that is the Xbox One, it's more of a media centre than a gaming console.

Edited by ***Flawless

PC is so far beyond any console now that it's not even funny. Especially this early in the lifespan of this generation. You want a graphics upgrade from PS3 and 360, that would be the definite best way to go. With both PS4 and XB1 being based on X86 architecture, exclusives that won't be on PC will be few and far between too.

Edited by Damn_Smooth
  • Like 1

The only concole I own is a Wii U. I'm a casual gamer at best so it's all I need. I briefly considered getting a PS4, but I don't see myself every really digging into the higher end games.

That's the only console I own this generation as well. Will probably get a PS4 when price drops and God of War comes out. Wii U is turning out to be quite a nice console though.

There are no killer apps out for either machine yet.

Yeah that sucks. PS4 doesnt even have youtube app
S¡mon" has shared a workaround to get an "almost exact replica" of it on your console. And the best part is, it's incredibly easy.Simply open the PS4's internet browser and go to "http://www.youtube.com/tv". It's as simple as that

http://www.gamezone.com/news/2013/12/04/get-youtube-on-ps4-with-this-workaround

I have a Ps4 and WiiU

PC is so far beyond any console now that it's not even funny. Especially this early in the lifespan of this generation. You want a graphics upgrade from PS3 and 360, that would be the definite best way to go. With both PS4 and XB1 being based on X86 architecture, exclusives that won't be on PC will be few and far between too.

PC gamers are so arrogant sometimes.

In a discussion about graphics, they should be. Edited by Damn_Smooth
  • Like 3

In a discussion about graphics, they should be.

Not when the OP didn't enquire about it. He asked about the PS4 and Xbox One, I don't understand why PC users can't just let people enjoy consoles. Unless someone asks, there's really no reason.

In a discussion about graphics, they should be.

Not when the OP didn't enquire about it. He asked about the PS4 and Xbox One, I don't understand why PC users can't just let people enjoy consoles. Unless someone asks, there's really no reason.

Because I value Dazey as a poster and a friend and I want him to have the best advice possible, as if it were any of your business. Don't take your consolite inferiority complex out on me.
  • Like 3

The PC vs Console debate is old

PC people are purists, they love their gaming

Consoles are for the house now, they give music and TV, keep people fit, do all sorts of things. For gaming though, consoles are still fine

PC's are the purest place to go for games, that still remains

Apart from exclusive games for xbox one, what advantage does Xbox have over PS4

Xbox don't even run at 1080p and drop the frame rate if they do.

It seems the xbox struggles to run 60fps at 1080p. For the games that do run at 60fps there are comparisons on youtube showing the xbox struggling to keep it at 60. Often dropping below 30.

Here is the list of games for each console, with resolution and framerate.

http://m.uk.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

Edited by Axl_morris

I already bought my PS4 because I saw a great deal and used some coupons and thought why not, ended up paying $300 + taxes. That said, I still have two fully functional PS3s that I haven't used in a looong time, I mean, as game consoles.

Do I think they're worth the upgrade? I don't know. Did I need the console right away? No, I haven't touched it yet. Will I use it in the near future? Yes, when Last of Us remastered and Uncharted 4: A Thief's End are out, respectively.

Edited by Nosaj Thing