Slash is sick of the media creating GNR conflict

Izzy is anonymous to the mainstream, fans know him through GNR. Maybe a few people see a news bit about Izzy but I find it hard to believe people don't check him out for the ex-GNR ref.

I like Izzy songs more than Slash or Axl, Axl at his best probably beats him but he has so many songs. Axl has some big ones. But throwing out solo albums with no expectation is easier than living with the GNR back cat and living up to the name. CD had to be a lot of things. I still think even with Izzy and Slash in GNR they might have only put out one more record at this point as GNR. And that's what they didn't like GNR became a prison of expectations. They got out when they were legends and time froze. Who knew what uncool stuff lay ahead. Axl got a little taste of it.

To be totally honest with you, I'll take Chinese over all of Slash's and Izzy's albums combined. Even if it's just 14 songs (15 including Oh My God)

Axl has the real need to go big. You don't get those production values anywhere else. (talking about former Guns members) Even Slash's biggest project (Contraband) had shifty production, and it was fairly quickly put together.

I'd probably take CD over all the solo projects and VR. But Izzy just churns out songs without trying, he's a natural.

I always think Jungle, Paradise City, SCOM and Rocket Queen are the songs Axl pushed to be more epic. I doubt Izzy was pushing for synths on PC. from CD you can see what elements of GNR Axl brought.

Axl makes albums, Izzy writes songs. Axl knows how to make a huge record and how to push the songs and be creative to get to a point where they don't sound like the sum of the parts. I'm not sure if that is song writing, if that makes sense? That's like a combo of creativity and genius.

Axl could have taken Ain't it a Bitch and had Bucket doing some Zombie guitar on it with Pitman doing Korn synths and turned it into a horror rock n roll song. I'm kind of expecting Down by the Ocean to have some NIN element, like an acoustic song with a white noise soundscape in the background.

Axl's chinese recipe. He'll try anything, combine shit that doesn't make sense on paper, but it does when you taste it. Whatever works, you'll like at least a few dishes. That is creative, and it's ballsy too imo. He doesn't just copy, not everything is so traditional, he breaks molds inside the Guns sound. He keeps the elements he likes, and he puts them together with fresh shit, big no no's for most other old dogs. It's cool.

"Izzy writes songs, Axl makes albums" couldn't have said it better myself. I doubt it's how Axl sees it, and I don't think it's accurate, but yeah, Axl cares about the big picture, how it all fits together, how his potential trilogy works, titles of songs, vibes, and statements. It's all there, there is a crazy logic at play here, if you agree to take the full ride. I want to take the full ride, I feel like with Chinese, the rollercoaster went up, but the real thrill of going down is not fully built yet. CD ll is the real conclusion, the best part perhaps.

I think it is accurate. Izzy writes songs, Axl makes albums.
Izzy writes songs, Axl made an album

Axl released an album, but made a bunch of them. Brian May, Bach, Brain, Fortus, Dizzy, Tommy, DJ, and many more all said Axl had more then just what we got. There's a difference between what an artist chose to release and what he completed and is sitting in the vault. Prince is a good example.

Axl also made AFD and UYI. Izzy wrote songs for those albums but Axl was molding them adding tracks Izzy didn't write, parts that Izzy or Slash didn't want etc. He came up with the cover work and titles of the records and wrote lyrics that fit on Don't Damn Me and Locomotive. It points to more involvement in the making of the whole of the album, not just CD. People use this idea that Slash made Nov Rain what it was, but the reality is the song wouldn't even be there if it was up to him. Izzy didn't learn the cords to Coma. Nov Rain, Estranged, Breakdown, it's Axl. I doubt Izzy would have done DNB, 14 Years, Bad Obsession, Pretty Tied Up like that without Axl and Slash pushing it a certain. Axl was always pushing things bigger and louder and lyrically writing about Illusions. He was a making an album about something, they were just doing another bunch of rock n roll songs. This is just an observation, I think they complemented each other pretty well. When they met in the middle like on Jungle, SCOM or YCBM or Don't Cry you got an epic hit. But still for the most parts they were almost in different bands. That's maybe why it wasn't that out of the question for Axl to carry on, it's like okay we won't do anymore sleazy rock n roll songs, I can get solos from someone else, there's all these songs I was going to do anyway. I need 4 songs from somewhere else. Fuck it, let's do it.

Quite a lot of bands start with 70 songs and whittle it down to the best 14 songs. Axl has talked about the reason for CD being made was dictators around the world. He was going for spiritual without going religious. So that could explain why something like Silkworms wasn't on CD. Maybe the second half is other perspectives on the same thing. Axl seems to have a bunch of material but he was making an album too. Now maybe he is just looking to get material out like UYI was to a degree.

There is a danger of reading too much into Axl's out put because I doubt he wanted to wait so long. Around 2000 he was ready to mix CD and was told it wasn't ready. There were a lot issues around this record that had nothing to do with music.

That doesn't change the fact Axl has had something different to express on each record and has changed the music to express it better. Whereas I feel like Izzy and Slash aren't expressing different emotions, it's just a slightly twist on what they did before. The discernible theme is rock n roll attitude. Down and righteous with swagger every time. I've got no problem with Dylan and ACDC. It's just Axl seems to doing something else. The Stones took on different influences, maybe there's some Queenryche or Floyd, Elton did western albums? U2 do a similar kind of thing. There's usually a creative context.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

Izzy is anonymous to the mainstream, fans know him through GNR. Maybe a few people see a news bit about Izzy but I find it hard to believe people don't check him out for the ex-GNR ref.

I like Izzy songs more than Slash or Axl, Axl at his best probably beats him but he has so many songs. Axl has some big ones. But throwing out solo albums with no expectation is easier than living with the GNR back cat and living up to the name. CD had to be a lot of things. I still think even with Izzy and Slash in GNR they might have only put out one more record at this point as GNR. And that's what they didn't like GNR became a prison of expectations. They got out when they were legends and time froze. Who knew what uncool stuff lay ahead. Axl got a little taste of it.

To be totally honest with you, I'll take Chinese over all of Slash's and Izzy's albums combined. Even if it's just 14 songs (15 including Oh My God)

Axl has the real need to go big. You don't get those production values anywhere else. (talking about former Guns members) Even Slash's biggest project (Contraband) had shifty production, and it was fairly quickly put together.

I'd probably take CD over all the solo projects and VR. But Izzy just churns out songs without trying, he's a natural.

I always think Jungle, Paradise City, SCOM and Rocket Queen are the songs Axl pushed to be more epic. I doubt Izzy was pushing for synths on PC. from CD you can see what elements of GNR Axl brought.

Axl makes albums, Izzy writes songs. Axl knows how to make a huge record and how to push the songs and be creative to get to a point where they don't sound like the sum of the parts. I'm not sure if that is song writing, if that makes sense? That's like a combo of creativity and genius.

Axl could have taken Ain't it a Bitch and had Bucket doing some Zombie guitar on it with Pitman doing Korn synths and turned it into a horror rock n roll song. I'm kind of expecting Down by the Ocean to have some NIN element, like an acoustic song with a white noise soundscape in the background.

Axl's chinese recipe. He'll try anything, combine shit that doesn't make sense on paper, but it does when you taste it. Whatever works, you'll like at least a few dishes. That is creative, and it's ballsy too imo. He doesn't just copy, not everything is so traditional, he breaks molds inside the Guns sound. He keeps the elements he likes, and he puts them together with fresh shit, big no no's for most other old dogs. It's cool.

"Izzy writes songs, Axl makes albums" couldn't have said it better myself. I doubt it's how Axl sees it, and I don't think it's accurate, but yeah, Axl cares about the big picture, how it all fits together, how his potential trilogy works, titles of songs, vibes, and statements. It's all there, there is a crazy logic at play here, if you agree to take the full ride. I want to take the full ride, I feel like with Chinese, the rollercoaster went up, but the real thrill of going down is not fully built yet. CD ll is the real conclusion, the best part perhaps.

Axl released an album, but made a bunch of them. Brian May, Bach, Brain, Fortus, Dizzy, Tommy, DJ, and many more all said Axl had more then just what we got. There's a difference between what an artist chose to release and what he completed and is sitting in the vault. Prince is a good example.

Axl also made AFD and UYI. Izzy wrote songs for those albums but Axl was molding them adding tracks Izzy didn't write, parts that Izzy or Slash didn't want etc. He came up with the cover work and titles of the records and wrote lyrics that fit on Don't Damn Me and Locomotive. It points to more involvement in the making of the whole of the album, not just CD. People use this idea that Slash made Nov Rain what it was, but the reality is the song wouldn't even be there if it was up to him. Izzy didn't learn the cords to Coma. Nov Rain, Estranged, Breakdown, it's Axl. I doubt Izzy would have done DNB, 14 Years, Bad Obsession, Pretty Tied Up like that without Axl and Slash pushing it a certain. Axl was always pushing things bigger and louder and lyrically writing about Illusions. He was a making an album about something, they were just doing another bunch of rock n roll songs. This is just an observation, I think they complemented each other pretty well. When they met in the middle like on Jungle, SCOM or YCBM or Don't Cry you got an epic hit. But still for the most parts they were almost in different bands. That's maybe why it wasn't that out of the question for Axl to carry on, it's like okay we won't do anymore sleazy rock n roll songs, I can get solos from someone else, there's all these songs I was going to do anyway. I need 4 songs from somewhere else. Fuck it, let's do it.

Quite a lot of bands start with 70 songs and whittle it down to the best 14 songs. Axl has talked about the reason for CD being made was dictators around the world. He was going for spiritual without going religious. So that could explain why something like Silkworms wasn't on CD. Maybe the second half is other perspectives on the same thing. Axl seems to have a bunch of material but he was making an album too. Now maybe he is just looking to get material out like UYI was to a degree.

There is a danger of reading too much into Axl's out put because I doubt he wanted to wait so long. Around 2000 he was ready to mix CD and was told it wasn't ready. There were a lot issues around this record that had nothing to do with music.

That doesn't change the fact Axl has had something different to express on each record and has changed the music to express it better. Whereas I feel like Izzy and Slash aren't expressing different emotions, it's just a slightly twist on what they did before. The discernible theme is rock n roll attitude. Down and righteous with swagger every time. I've got no problem with Dylan and ACDC. It's just Axl seems to doing something else. The Stones took on different influences, maybe there's some Queenryche or Floyd, Elton did western albums? U2 do a similar kind of thing. There's usually a creative context.

My point is that Axl didn't make the classic Guns' albums by himself. As much as he pushed things to be done, fought for some songs and ideas and added his parts, theses albums were a team effort.

He's a big part of them of course but to me the weakest point of the Illusions, as example, are all the weird sounds and effects Axl has layed over the tracks. Stuff like that fucking phone call on KOHD, this "850 pounds" shit on GITR or a lot of unnecessary keyboards that are all over the albums. IMO these two albums would be much better off without Axl's visions of "making albums".

I'm not talking about the songs he wrote like Estranged, NR or Breakdown. They were necessary for the huge success of the band. Just talking about that "overdubs", if we can call them so.

Edited by Free Bird

My point is that Axl didn't make the classic Guns' albums by himself. As much as he pushed things to be done, fought for some songs and ideas and added his parts, theses albums were a team effort.

He's a big part of them of course but to me the weakest point of the Illusions, as example, are all the weird sounds and effects Axl has layed over the tracks. Stuff like that fucking phone call on KOHD, this "850 pounds" shit on GITR or a lot of unnecessary keyboards that are all over the albums. IMO these two albums would be much better off without Axl's visions of "making albums".

I'm not talking about the songs he wrote like Estranged, NR or Breakdown. They were necessary for the huge success of the band. Just talking about that "overdubs", if we can call them so.

I was saying he made the albums, not that they were perfect. Those overdubs, quotes, whistle, throwing piano on the songs, doing his Elton Rose material, choosing the cover/title and writing lyrics about Illusions were the difference between AFD and UYI. I think he also kind of came up with the title and pushed songs in certain ways. Not putting Nov Rain or Don't Cry on AFD also a creative decision. It was probably the right decision for the record, but that kind if type cast the band and handed others more prominence. The way some can't see past AFD points to maybe being a mistake.

To me Axl instigating changes per record shows he's the one making albums with different vibes. Without Axls input you have another AFD but without as many hits n classics.

You Could Be Mine

Double Talking Jive

Back Off Bitch

Perfect Crime

Bad Obsession

Civil War

Get in the Ring

Dust N Bones

Don't Cry - ill allow it

Garden of Eden

Pretty Tied Up

Coma

Its good but not as good as AFD.

YCBM and Don't Cry would carry it.

But Nov Rain was probably the jack pot, with Estranged, Don't damn me, Locomotive, Breakdown adding depth.

Edited by wasted

I was saying he made the albums, not that they were perfect. Those overdubs, quotes, whistle, throwing piano on the songs, doing his Elton Rose material, choosing the cover/title and writing lyrics about Illusions were the difference between AFD and UYI. I think he also kind of came up with the title and pushed songs in certain ways. Not putting Nov Rain or Don't Cry on AFD also a creative decision. It was probably the right decision for the record, but that kind if type cast the band and handed others more prominence. The way some can't see past AFD points to maybe being a mistake.

To me Axl instigating changes per record shows he's the one making albums with different vibes. Without Axls input you have another AFD but without as many hits n classics.

You Could Be Mine

Double Talking Jive

Back Off Bitch

Perfect Crime

Bad Obsession

Civil War

Get in the Ring

Dust N Bones

Don't Cry - ill allow it

Garden of Eden

Pretty Tied Up

Coma

Its good but not as good as AFD.

YCBM and Don't Cry would carry it.

But Nov Rain was probably the jack pot, with Estranged, Don't damn me, Locomotive, Breakdown adding depth.

What is with the arbitrary tracklist?

Not arbitary, it's the UYI tracks that Axl wasn't involved with much, or wasn't one of his songs, wasn't written by some else outside the band (The Garden, Yesterdays), wasn't a cover. Songs basically that Izzy and Slash wrote mainly with Axl not interfering too much. It's an AFD 2 type record, just not as good.

I think Axl influenced Don't Cry a lot, but maybe not. I think it was part of their early repertoire. I'll allow it. Get in the Ring is the Duff track, it's a great GNR track, even if haters don't like Axl's rant. 14 Years has Axl's lyrics and backing vocals on it. Izzy would think he was interfering I guess.

I think they burned out.

Not arbitary, it's the UYI tracks that Axl wasn't involved with much, or wasn't one of his songs, wasn't written by some else outside the band (The Garden, Yesterdays), wasn't a cover. Songs basically that Izzy and Slash wrote mainly with Axl not interfering too much. It's an AFD 2 type record, just not as good.

I think Axl influenced Don't Cry a lot, but maybe not. I think it was part of their early repertoire. I'll allow it. Get in the Ring is the Duff track, it's a great GNR track, even if haters don't like Axl's rant. 14 Years has Axl's lyrics and backing vocals on it. Izzy would think he was interfering I guess.

I think they burned out.

I am not usually one to defend Axl Rose, but your list includes many 'Rose' songwriting credits. Some of those songs had a tremendous amount of input from the redhead. Back Off Bitch was written before Hollywood Rose, with Tobias. Coma was a significant songwriting collaboration between Axl and Slash. The following songs from your list, all contain 'Rose' credits:

- You Could Be Mine

- Don't Cry

- Back Off Bitch

- Civil War

- Get In The Ring

- Don't Cry

- Garden of Eden

- Coma

I think they burned out.

I am not usually one to defend Axl Rose, but your list includes many 'Rose' songwriting credits. Some of those songs had a tremendous amount of input from the redhead. Back Off Bitch was written before Hollywood Rose, with Tobias. Coma was a significant songwriting collaboration between Axl and Slash. The following songs from your list, all contain 'Rose' credits:

- You Could Be Mine

- Don't Cry

- Back Off Bitch

- Civil War

- Get In The Ring

- Don't Cry

- Garden of Eden

- Coma

It's not whether he had songwriting credits, it's what kind of song he got the credit for. And in some cases it's just for lyrics mainly. The ones I took out are basically his songs Dead Horse, Shotgun Blues, Breakdown, Nov Rain, Estranged, My World.

I think the band were on board with Back off Bitch, Bad Obsession, Don't Cry you know those older tracks. They are in a similar vein to AFD.

Whereas they weren't so sure about Nov Rain, Estranged, Breakdown. Without these songs and Axl broadening the scope lyrically on DDM and Locomotive the album is just another AFD type album.

What I am saying is that it's Axl who pushed more for UYI to tackle broader subject material, and expand. Over dubs etc. the other guys wouldn't have done it, both Slash and Izzy wanted it stripped down and probably would have kept closer to an AFD type record. But to me it's what Axl pushed for is what makes those records different from AFD.

Axl is the one writing about illusions and writing epics for the most part, the other guys were just happy to do rock n roll songs about sex n drugs.

Like Duff said, Dolphins? That's not very rock n roll. They didn't get it or care about Axls lyrics about illusions or lyrics about Freud.

But it shows Axl was making an album, not just throwing rock n roll songs on an album. That continued even more so with CD. That's prob part why they said adios.

Edited by wasted

I think they burned out.

- You Could Be Mine

- Don't Cry

- Back Off Bitch

- Civil War

- Get In The Ring

- Don't Cry

- Garden of Eden

- Coma

It's not whether he had songwriting credits, it's what kind of song he got the credit for. And in some cases it's just for lyrics mainly. The ones I took out are basically his songs Dead Horse, Shotgun Blues, Breakdown, Nov Rain, Estranged, My World.

I think the band were on board with Back off Bitch, Bad Obsession, Don't Cry you know those older tracks. They are in a similar vein to AFD.

Whereas they weren't so sure about Nov Rain, Estranged, Breakdown. Without these songs and Axl broadening the scope lyrically on DDM and Locomotive the album is just another AFD type album.

What I am saying is that it's Axl who pushed more for UYI to tackle broader subject material, and expand. Over dubs etc. the other guys wouldn't have done it, both Slash and Izzy wanted it stripped down and probably would have kept closer to an AFD type record. But to me it's what Axl pushed for is what makes those records different from AFD.

Axl is the one writing about illusions and writing epics for the most part, the other guys were just happy to do rock n roll songs about sex n drugs.

Like Duff said, Dolphins? That's not very rock n roll. They didn't get it or care about Axls lyrics about illusions or lyrics about Freud.

But it shows Axl was making an album, not just throwing rock n roll songs on an album. That continued even more so with CD. That's prob part why they said adios.

Illusions would be very different from AFD even without the overdubs.

The mature songwriting and the piano are significant for the difference of the albums. I just think they would be way better without that overdubs

I think they burned out.

- You Could Be Mine

- Don't Cry

- Back Off Bitch

- Civil War

- Get In The Ring

- Don't Cry

- Garden of Eden

- Coma

And you can hear it: Slash never strayed too far from what he loved years ago, Izzy did a bunch of styles in his solo albums, but again, not too far from the keith inspired thing, Duff does the punk and hard rock thing. Axl is the only one from the classic line up that had any interest in doing the epics, incorporating new influences, and broadening the Gn'R sound, with elements he liked about it.

If Slash and Duff were onboard, and with Paul in the band and Izzy sending out ideas every few years, I imagine some interesting things could have been created musically.

But it's all about what are your interests, and of course you have to keep it together long enough to see it bloom.

Edited by Rovim

I think they burned out.

- You Could Be Mine

- Don't Cry

- Back Off Bitch

- Civil War

- Get In The Ring

- Don't Cry

- Garden of Eden

- Coma

Illusions would be very different from AFD even without the overdubs.

The mature songwriting and the piano are significant for the difference of the albums. I just think they would be way better without that overdubs

Well that's what I said, it's mainly the more mature writing that makes UYI different to AFD, but that's mainly down to Axl because Axl is trying to express different emotions and ideas outside of sex drugs etc. and on CD he went further in developing the music. Bringing in new influences the old guys would never.

I think they burned out.

- You Could Be Mine

- Don't Cry

- Back Off Bitch

- Civil War

- Get In The Ring

- Don't Cry

- Garden of Eden

- Coma

And you can hear it: Slash never strayed too far from what he loved years ago, Izzy did a bunch of styles in his solo albums, but again, not too far from the keith inspired thing, Duff does the punk and hard rock thing. Axl is the only one from the classic line up that had any interest in doing the epics, incorporating new influences, and broadening the Gn'R sound, with elements he liked about it.

If Slash and Duff were onboard, and with Paul in the band and Izzy sending out ideas every few years, I imagine some interesting things could have been created musically.

But it's all about what are your interests, and of course you have to keep it together long enough to see it bloom.

After AFD seemed like Axl didn't just want to do rock n roll anymore. He wanted to write about different experiences. It's like on AFD he'd covered the rock n roll outlaw lifestyle and was ready to move on to fame and frustrations. I wonder if Axl really wanted to include BAck off Bitch, Bad obssssion under the umbrella of UYI. When asked about YCBM Axl said they wanted to do something everyone would enjoy. Like he had compromised and done something for the fans when really he was more into the trilogy etc. that song is really the last crowd pleasing AFD song they ever did. None of the other rockers impacted long term in the same way AFD rockers did or the more mature Illusion tracks like Yesterdyas. Estranged, Civil War.

I think they burned out.

- You Could Be Mine

- Don't Cry

- Back Off Bitch

- Civil War

- Get In The Ring

- Don't Cry

- Garden of Eden

- Coma

After AFD seemed like Axl didn't just want to do rock n roll anymore. He wanted to write about different experiences. It's like on AFD he'd covered the rock n roll outlaw lifestyle and was ready to move on to fame and frustrations. I wonder if Axl really wanted to include BAck off Bitch, Bad obssssion under the umbrella of UYI. When asked about YCBM Axl said they wanted to do something everyone would enjoy. Like he had compromised and done something for the fans when really he was more into the trilogy etc. that song is really the last crowd pleasing AFD song they ever did. None of the other rockers impacted long term in the same way AFD rockers did or the more mature Illusion tracks like Yesterdyas. Estranged, Civil War.

I think they burned out.

- You Could Be Mine

- Don't Cry

- Back Off Bitch

- Civil War

- Get In The Ring

- Don't Cry

- Garden of Eden

- Coma

He was good to go by then. Ready to move on to bigger and better things. (in his eyes) or more like bigger is better for Axl.

What I can agree with is it's better to not repeat yourself. That's for sure. Even if the themes are similar, you can mix it up enough so it at least sounds fresh, and if we take a look at Chinese, you've got new experiments that work surprisingly well: you've got Catcher. You've got Better. You've got Prostitute.

Then Axl decided to have some fun with If The World, and went into Pink Floyd territory with Sorry.

Axl was the leader after all. He proved that with Chinese to me. He will probably prove it again with CD ll. He did have the vision imo. It wasn't like Slash said: he didn't want to be Pearl Jam, he didn't want to be NIN. He wanted to borg the shit out of those bands though. Make them a part of the Gn'R sound. A lot of old Guns fans like Better it seems. You'll like a few songs at least, even if you won't think it sounds like Guns. (but it does to me)

What's with all the fuckin' complaints? hard to let go of such iconic guitar sound. It's Slash. Missing element is Izzy and his songs, but he was half missing for UYI. I think it's more Slash, and I don't think most people care about what Duff brings to the table. (I do though)

No Axl, and it would have been more like AC/DC: very good, but repetitive. Axl wants to move forward, even if he doesn't always make his move. Or it's in slow motion. At least the artistic value of it is there. At least Axl won't repeat himself like so many others do. At least, I don't think he will.

Edited by Rovim

Hey let's get this topic back on track. Listen, Slash is sick of the media creating GNR conflict.

What are you doing. :max:

Actually I think Slash did say he didn't want to be Pearl Jam. I think he said almost those exact words. Also, he said he's tired of the media creating GNR conflict.

Hey let's get this topic back on track. Listen, Slash is sick of the media creating GNR conflict.

Actually I think Slash did say he didn't want to be Pearl Jam. I think he said almost those exact words. Also, he said he's tired of the media creating GNR conflict.

lol fuck off. Back off topic: I like Wicked Stone.

lol fuck off. Back off topic: I like Wicked Stone.

Have you heard Moonlander? I wonder if Stone Gossard is tired of the media creating GNR conflict. It would be rad if he issued a press release on the matter just to fuck with people. Something like "due to the media creating GNR conflict, Jeff Ament and I will no longer be granting interviews."