Slash is sick of the media creating GNR conflict

That's fine. As long as we agree they were both spoiled babies.

Their names are Slash and Axl and they played in a band called Guns N Roses with songs like Back Off Bitch in their catalogue, and they were millionaires by their mid twenties. What do you think? :lol:

I just said I thought Izzy was a grown ass man back then. He was in the same band, and he wasn't a baby imo. :shrugs:

Didn't WFA just post a thread about Izzy getting fined thousands of dollars for throwing a fit on an airplane back in the 80s or something? Or was that in Supporter's Section? Anyway, I'm pretty sure they were all a bit special.

That's fine. As long as we agree they were both spoiled babies.

Their names are Slash and Axl and they played in a band called Guns N Roses with songs like Back Off Bitch in their catalogue, and they were millionaires by their mid twenties. What do you think? :lol:

I just said I thought Izzy was a grown ass man back then. He was in the same band, and he wasn't a baby imo. :shrugs:

Didn't WFA just post a thread about Izzy getting fined thousands of dollars for throwing a fit on an airplane back in the 80s or something? Or was that in Supporter's Section? Anyway, I'm pretty sure they were all a bit special.

As soon as he kicked his heroin habbit, he was in control, and made grown up decisions.

His best decision was leaving the band, mere days, before they started recording the first of the cheesy 'trilogy' videos. Always had impeccable timing did Izzbo. I do not think Axl had started turning up for shows in his underwear either at this stage? Tracey and Roberta had certainly not arrived. Either way, Stradlin got out at the exact right time.

For Izzy he did the right thing. It's not the band he wanted to be in. I saw his last show at Wembley and Tracy and Roberta were there to help us... and Axl was late (he thank us for "being real professional" I'll remember the titty cam on the big screen for-ever). This was a low point for the band from what I read. It's funny because Axl was late, then they play 4 or 5 songs, then Izzy took over and played Dust N Bones. That song and 14 years are like Izzy saying goodbye. It explains his mind set perfectly. Doing videos wasn't like something they never did or other bands weren't doing, but I guess it was for predominantly 3 Axl songs. That sold the band really well internationally and cemented their fame and success. Nov Rain is still a classic video. Don't Cry is good and Estrnaged is deep kitsch but wildly entertaining. Yesterdays, the band is out of the picture really. Thing is they did do some smaller videos, Garden of Eden/The Garden and the Skin n Bones tour, then Spaghetti incident, so if Izzy had stayed a year more it would have blown over. That would have made the next record much easier for Axl and Slash. Axl may have done a solo project with Trent and they might have put out I Hate Everybody But You, Time Gone By and This I Love on the next record. The Nick Kent interview prepared me for Izzy's departure when Izzy said "The Stones should have died when they were still cool."

Izzy would never have agreed to do music promos whereby you have a massive budget, turn up for make-up in the morning like an actor and have a script! Izzy's idea is, at best a bunch of clips from a random gig (Paradise City), at worst, a shoot on a sound stage (Sweet Child) or a pre-prepared gig (Jungle). He could not even be bothered to turn up for the filming with Schwarzenegger for You Could Be Mine. Fundamentally though, I think Izzy's ideal preference is to dispense with promos altogether - hence - the fact that the guy has not recorded a music video since 1992, despite being on his tenth record.

Class act is Izzy.

Izzy would never have agreed to do music promos whereby you have a massive budget, turn up for make-up in the morning like an actor and have a script! Izzy's idea is, at best a bunch of clips from a random gig (Paradise City), at worst, a shoot on a sound stage (Sweet Child) or a pre-prepared gig (Jungle). He could not even be bothered to turn up for the filming with Schwarzenegger for You Could Be Mine. Fundamentally though, I think Izzy's ideal preference is to dispense with promos altogether - hence - the fact that the guy has not recorded a music video since 1992, despite being on his tenth record.

Class act is Izzy.

He wasn't completely against leaning on a bin in the Jungle video. It think he was also unneeded with Axl playing the leading man.

But Izzy's material is largely unnoticed by the mainstream. To me he's the one with the midas touch songwriting wise. Maybe long term his songwriting will rise to the top. Not as fad driven. I just wish he could do at least one cycle as a pop rock singer songwriter just to get in the game. I see it's not his thing, but does he have a thing if no one knows?

• Like 1

Class act is Izzy.

But Izzy's material is largely unnoticed by the mainstream.

(Cough) Patience!!

Don't Cry and You Could Be Mine also (with Axl's input).

Class act is Izzy.

(Cough) Patience!!

I was talking about his solo material. He could have an audience like Tom Petty with just a little promo. Axl gave him an audience with GNR but he wanted more creative control.

It does bring up the question if Axl quit GNR before UYI was released taking his songs to go solo if he would be seen as cool as Izzy is. I'm betting Axl would get "You destroyed GNR".

Edited by wasted

Class act is Izzy.

He wasn't completely against leaning on a bin in the Jungle video. It think he was also unneeded with Axl playing the leading man.

But Izzy's material is largely unnoticed by the mainstream. To me he's the one with the midas touch songwriting wise. Maybe long term his songwriting will rise to the top. Not as fad driven. I just wish he could do at least one cycle as a pop rock singer songwriter just to get in the game. I see it's not his thing, but does he have a thing if no one knows?

You know, I think both Axl and Izzy have the midas touch as songwriters. Izzy starts a great idea in his style, and Axl turns other people's ideas to great songs, or way better songs. Better is a good example. He needed that simple Robin riff to sing his classic vocals over. In his style, with a piano, or if it's just a ballad, he's as good as Izzy when inspiration really strikes him.

Axl had the November Rain and Estranged demos on piano. The entire structure was already there. Maybe it took him a while, but he got there alone, until Slash made it much better, but just like Izzy's skeleton ideas, Axl managed to create a complete foundation to work with.

Edited by Rovim

Class act is Izzy.

(Cough) Patience!!

I was talking about his solo material. He could have an audience like Tom Petty with just a little promo. Axl gave him an audience with GNR but he wanted more creative control.

But who cares if, x more people, are exposed to Izzy's music? Izzy doesn't. The music he puts out is there for the people who want it. His small, but relatively stable fanbase, do not really - although they would prefer him to perform live more often. I don't because I am already a fan. Stradlin's bashfulness has meant, he has not compromised his integrity in the same way that Axl (selling Budweiser) and Slash (Fergie etc) have.

There's a half hour interview Izzy did in 2006 for TuneCore (which was split up into 3 parts on You Tube) about his life before, during and after GNR. I'm sure it's been posted before but it's worth checking out if you haven't.

Never heard this before. Thank you very much for sharing.

• Like 1

Class act is Izzy.

(Cough) Patience!!

But who cares if, x more people, are exposed to Izzy's music? Izzy doesn't. The music he puts out is there for the people who want it. His small, but relatively stable fanbase, do not really - although they would prefer him to perform live more often. I don't because I am already a fan. Stradlin's bashfulness has meant, he has not compromised his integrity in the same way that Axl (selling Budweiser) and Slash (Fergie etc) have.

That's cool, I get it. I just think it's a waste for someone with so much talent not to get some more recognition/fans. Like I said maybe he will eventually. I just think he could be like Tom Petty with a little effort. I guess they made enough money. I'm not going to make a big deal out Izzy being part of the UYI project because he pulled out of most of the videos but those records probably afforded him some freedom over the years.

Class act is Izzy.

You know, I think both Axl and Izzy have the midas touch as songwriters. Izzy starts a great idea in his style, and Axl turns other people's ideas to great songs, or way better songs. Better is a good example. He needed that simple Robin riff to sing his classic vocals over. In his style, with a piano, or if it's just a ballad, he's as good as Izzy when inspiration really strikes him.

Axl had the November Rain and Estranged demos on piano. The entire structure was already there. Maybe it took him a while, but he got there alone, until Slash made it much better, but just like Izzy's skeleton ideas, Axl managed to create a complete foundation to work with.

Axl does seem to want to get his songs out there, whether it's Nov Rain and Estranged or TIL. Always think SOD, TWAT, Catcher, Madagascar and Prostitute are Axl songs but they are really band songs? I don't thnk Axl is as prolific as Izzy in terms of song writing. That's why I think it's a bit of a waste for Izzy to be allergic to promo for his solo stuff. But I guess it's his style, the whole aesthetic of Izzy is that. It's a shame he can't be like Tom Petty but he's more like Keef but he was in a big band at the same time, Izzy might as well not do anything. It's just weird to have access to the machine but not use it at all. It's like he likes music but he quit the music industry. Whereas Axl and Slash really need to be in a band context. Axl would have like 3 songs for his solo record after 10 years. Axl should do Disney soundtracks if the GNR gig ever goes dry. 1 song every 5 years for Tiger Queen 3. Slash is Joe Perry, nobody cares about the solo projects, I mean if you are bored they are okay it's nowhere near GNR. Not literally nobody, everyone gets so pissed about that (you count, you matter, we get it), but it's going to be 10 years of solo stuff then people will be like can you play Jungle now. Again it's in the context of being able to work on a bigger canvas but choosing to do use MS Paint at home. I get that it's cool and different sensibility and not as shallow but why bail so early the Stones are still out there on crutches willing to die with their boots on. The Guns guys were like thanks for money it will help with rehab! Why did no one in the 90s want to be rock stars?

Class act is Izzy.

Axl does seem to want to get his songs out there, whether it's Nov Rain and Estranged or TIL. Always think SOD, TWAT, Catcher, Madagascar and Prostitute are Axl songs but they are really band songs? I don't thnk Axl is as prolific as Izzy in terms of song writing. That's why I think it's a bit of a waste for Izzy to be allergic to promo for his solo stuff. But I guess it's his style, the whole aesthetic of Izzy is that. It's a shame he can't be like Tom Petty but he's more like Keef but he was in a big band at the same time, Izzy might as well not do anything. It's just weird to have access to the machine but not use it at all. It's like he likes music but he quit the music industry. Whereas Axl and Slash really need to be in a band context. Axl would have like 3 songs for his solo record after 10 years. Axl should do Disney soundtracks if the GNR gig ever goes dry. 1 song every 5 years for Tiger Queen 3. Slash is Joe Perry, nobody cares about the solo projects, I mean if you are bored they are okay it's nowhere near GNR. Not literally nobody, everyone gets so pissed about that (you count, you matter, we get it), but it's going to be 10 years of solo stuff then people will be like can you play Jungle now. Again it's in the context of being able to work on a bigger canvas but choosing to do use MS Paint at home. I get that it's cool and different sensibility and not as shallow but why bail so early the Stones are still out there on crutches willing to die with their boots on. The Guns guys were like thanks for money it will help with rehab! Why did no one in the 90s want to be rock stars?

I think it's easy to just say why didn't these people managed to do what those other fuckers did despite hating the shit out of one another? but every person is different. Every relationship between two or more people is different as well.

So you can't really compare the relationships of bands cause apples and oranges. This is not The Rolling Stones.

Axl is crazy, Slash probably thinks of himself before any band he's in, and it makes him fuck up sometimes, like making a power move by leaving Guns, thinking he could always come back cause he's Slash.

Izzy is very weird. Or he's very normal or both, I can't decide. He's quite unique imo. He puts the personal shit and his freedom and don't fuck with me above all else. So no more big machine, no more crazy lead singers. He tried it, it ran it's course. Like heroin. But he learns from his mistakes. For him, nothing is too much of a big deal.

But I totally get what you mean about Tiger Queen 3.

Edited by Rovim

I understand but it's not that uncommon. Or maybe I'm just butthurt U2 are the biggest band. Axl seems to have the right ideas its just all these flaky guitarists are a bit wannabe rock stars. This is why rock is dying, this is what's wrong with America, GNR ruined boxing.

I understand but it's not that uncommon. Or maybe I'm just butthurt U2 are the biggest band. Axl seems to have the right ideas its just all these flaky guitarists are a bit wannabe rock stars. This is why rock is dying, this is what's wrong with America, GNR ruined boxing.

Maybe Axl and Slash were two differnet personalities that never really worked. On a musical level, they were perfect, but Axl doesn't really tolerate any lies, or dishonesty, or not giving 100%, and he doesn't give too many chances if he has enough proof you're a traitor. It's tough man.

Then you've got Izzy, and his commitment hangs on a cunt's hair. They were never as stable as the stones or U2. It was a ticking bomb from day one imo.

There was enough ego there to say fuck you, my way or the highway. Very different from Kieth's you never leave advice he gave to Slash.

• Like 1

Maybe Axl and Slash were two differnet personalities that never really worked. On a musical level, they were perfect, but Axl doesn't really tolerate any lies, or dishonesty, or not giving 100%, and he doesn't give too many chances if he has enough proof you're a traitor. It's tough man.

Then you've got Izzy, and his commitment hangs on a cunt's hair. They were never as stable as the stones or U2. It was a ticking bomb from day one imo.

There was enough ego there to say fuck you, my way or the highway. Very different from Kieth's you never leave advice he gave to Slash.

It's like Road House: Tripleganger. There's 3 Patrick Swayze's and no one gives a fuck. What a band, what a legacy. They said jump, they said No Way! Axl was even badass enough to use the industry's money to make his fuck this industry record. Outraged by Myths is coming soon.

Axl doesn't really tolerate any lies, or dishonesty, or not giving 100%, and he doesn't give too many chances if he has enough proof you're a traitor.

:facepalm:

Don't be too quick to jump to conclusions. I don't think Slash is a liar, I was just guessing how Axl sees it. I think Axl is crazy, and I've always thought that about him.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Class act is Izzy.

(Cough) Patience!!

That's cool, I get it. I just think it's a waste for someone with so much talent not to get some more recognition/fans. Like I said maybe he will eventually. I just think he could be like Tom Petty with a little effort. I guess they made enough money. I'm not going to make a big deal out Izzy being part of the UYI project because he pulled out of most of the videos but those records probably afforded him some freedom over the years.

What is he actually missing out on though? Money? He still gets his GN'R songwriting royalties and his guests with New gnr no doubt, provide a surplus. You mention 'recognition' there, but what does that actually mean? In my opinion, Izzy has the best of both worlds. He has the money (from gnr) yet can still put out his own records to those who desire them without the hassles of the industry or lead singers. He can also walk down the street without being recognised. It is infinitely more desirable than Axl's, mansion and minders, circus, or Slash, a walking cartoon character 'for hire'.

Class act is Izzy.

(Cough) Patience!!

What is he actually missing out on though? Money? He still gets his GN'R songwriting royalties and his guests with New gnr no doubt, provide a surplus. You mention 'recognition' there, but what does that actually mean? In my opinion, Izzy has the best of both worlds. He has the money (from gnr) yet can still put out his own records to those who desire them without the hassles of the industry or lead singers. He can also walk down the street without being recognised. It is infinitely more desirable than Axl's, mansion and minders, circus, or Slash, a walking cartoon character 'for hire'.

Mostly I think we are missing out. I don't have all his records cos I can't find them easily, have some of them. He doesn't really exist as a solo artist. I just think its more a waste of talent and should have a wider audience, not that he isn't enjoying himself. I'd like him to exist on his own terms not living off his GNR royalties. Not on principle but just cos he should be able to pull it off. But I'm sure he's happy doing what he wants. It just would be cool if he was Bruce Springsteen or Tom Petty. Its more a presence not having to live off daddy. But if that encroaches on him too much I apologise its not like we attention seeking Internet whores. Edited by wasted

Class act is Izzy.

(Cough) Patience!!

Mostly I think we are missing out. I don't have all his records cos I can't find them easily, have some of them. He doesn't really exist as a solo artist. I just think its more a waste of talent and should have a wider audience, not that he isn't enjoying himself. I'd like him to exist on his own terms not living off his GNR royalties. Not on principle but just cos he should be able to pull it off. But I'm sure he's happy doing what he wants. It just would be cool if he was Bruce Springsteen or Tom Petty. Its more a presence not having to live off daddy. But if that encroaches on him too much I apologise its not like we attention seeking Internet whores.

Granted, I would like physical copies of his Itunes albums!

Class act is Izzy.

(Cough) Patience!!

Mostly I think we are missing out. I don't have all his records cos I can't find them easily, have some of them. He doesn't really exist as a solo artist. I just think its more a waste of talent and should have a wider audience, not that he isn't enjoying himself. I'd like him to exist on his own terms not living off his GNR royalties. Not on principle but just cos he should be able to pull it off. But I'm sure he's happy doing what he wants. It just would be cool if he was Bruce Springsteen or Tom Petty. Its more a presence not having to live off daddy. But if that encroaches on him too much I apologise its not like we attention seeking Internet whores.

Vinyl seems more Izzy. iTunes is convenient though. I just think he's still like the cool ex member of GNR who was too cool to do videos. He's never stepped out of that shadow to do a legit solo career. He makes Tom Waits look like a ho.

It makes sense as Slash and Axl were always the face of GNR to pop fans that bought the albums for SCOM and Niv Rain.

Edited by wasted

Class act is Izzy.

(Cough) Patience!!

Vinyl seems more Izzy. iTunes is convenient though. I just think he's still like the cool ex member of GNR who was too cool to do videos. He's never stepped out of that shadow to do a legit solo career. He makes Tom Waits look like a ho.

It makes sense as Slash and Axl were always the face of GNR to pop fans that bought the albums for SCOM and Niv Rain.

Axl wants everything to be as huge as possible, biggest production possible, and the money is important to keep his spoiled lifestyle going. Slash wants to maintain his fan base and make as much money as possible. Izzy wants everything to be as easy as possible. It's good enough for him to release his shit on itunes. I think it's perfect for him actually, but maybe not to his fans. He doesn't even tour. He doesn't care enough about this shit to do more.