Slash is sick of the media creating GNR conflict

But he quit. If he so chill why he run away. I'm not trying to be obtuse. I don't get why Izzy quit either.

We all know Slash did a bad move. In my opinion, it's not why he quit, it's why he signed the name over to Axl and let the crazy one ruin the band.

Exactly. That's Slash's unforgivable act for me.

The fact that Slash was given an ultimatum at all, and presented with a contract like that to sign, is really what's unforgivable here.

If he hadn't signed it, the band would have been over anyway. He just prolonged the inevitable.

btw, Did Slash ever confirm he played the FTP riff for Axl?

No, Slash never confirmed he played the FTP riff for Axl. Does that mean it never happened? Do you need Axl to confirm everything Slash says in order for you to believe him?

Edited by Rovim

Ultimately signing over the name means nothing unless you quit. I think Slash chose to go his own way and not have to deal with Axl in GNR. And that really is part of GNR, dealing with Axl is part and parcel of the band. Maybe that's not an ideal way but its a reality.

Ultimately signing over the name means nothing unless you quit. I think Slash chose to go his own way and not have to deal with Axl in GNR. And that really is part of GNR, dealing with Axl is part and parcel of the band. Maybe that's not an ideal way but its a reality.

Yeah, but do you believe Slash thought he will never get the chance to return to the band when he left Guns?

Edited by Rovim

But he quit. If he so chill why he run away. I'm not trying to be obtuse. I don't get why Izzy quit either.

We all know Slash did a bad move. In my opinion, it's not why he quit, it's why he signed the name over to Axl and let the crazy one ruin the band.

The fact that Slash was given an ultimatum at all, and presented with a contract like that to sign, is really what's unforgivable here.

If he hadn't signed it, the band would have been over anyway. He just prolonged the inevitable.

Oh, Axl's wanting to own the name was worse than Slash signing it over, but Slash's signing it over was an obvious nail in the coffin. As you know, what went wrong with the band is that they indulged Axl's whims too much, thinking he'd come back to earth eventually, but he just kept flying higher and higher into la-la land. You don't sing over the GNR name to a crazy person. You have no idea what sort of weird shit he's going to do with it.

As far as FTP, all I've ever heard is the story where Axl says that Slash ordered him to perform the songs exactly as they were written or nothing. Do I know for a fact that didn't happen? Of course not. Do I think Axl twisted the facts so that he'd have a gift wrapped Out Ta Get Me anecdote? You betcha.

Oh, Axl's wanting to own the name was worse than Slash signing it over, but Slash's signing it over was an obvious nail in the coffin. As you know, what went wrong with the band is that they indulged Axl's whims too much, thinking he'd come back to earth eventually, but he just kept flying higher and higher into la-la land. You don't sing over the GNR name to a crazy person. You have no idea what sort of weird shit he's going to do with it.

As far as FTP, all I've ever heard is the story where Axl says that Slash ordered him to perform the songs exactly as they were written or nothing. Do I know for a fact that didn't happen? Of course not. Do I think Axl twisted the facts so that he'd have a gift wrapped Out Ta Get Me anecdote? You betcha.

Just a correction: Axl never said Slash wanted him to perform FTP exactly as it was written or nothing. Axl said he refused to let him work on it in any capacity. Refused to let him be a part of it, or to work on it together and to make it a Guns song. (not Axl's exact words, but close enough)

Basically, he said Slash was not sharing. Hoarding it.

Edited by Rovim

It's just not true that it was the Axl show. They gave into a lot of his bullshit for the UYI tour and the videos, but as far as fame and public image, Slash was huge. And as much as he might have hated some of those videos, they (NR in particular) made him as iconic as ever.

This is how I saw it at the time. Although Axl was always my favorite, him and Slash were on the same level. When Slash left, I thought GNR was just over. I've thought that for years actually. Just like them, I couldn't imagine Guns without Slash (and Duff to a lesser degree), that just wasn't possible.

And you were right. GN'R was over when Slash left.
Not quite, 2001 was awesome, as was 02

Just a correction: Axl never said Slash wanted him to perform FTP exactly as it was written or nothing. Axl said he refused to let him work on in any capacity. Refused to let him be a part of it, or to work on it together and to make it a Guns song.

There's definitely a quote from the chats somewhere where he said he was told to perform songs as they were written, with no input of his own. I get all his Out Ta Get Me stories confused sometimes. :lol:

Just a correction: Axl never said Slash wanted him to perform FTP exactly as it was written or nothing. Axl said he refused to let him work on in any capacity. Refused to let him be a part of it, or to work on it together and to make it a Guns song.

There's definitely a quote from the chats somewhere where he said he was told to perform songs as they were written, with no input of his own. I get all his Out Ta Get Me stories confused sometimes. :lol:

Yeah, but I was reffering to the quote where Axl specifically talked about FTP. That seem more relevant, or just as relevant as other quotes about Slash's behavior according to Axl cause it was more detailed. Up until that point, we didn't even know Axl got a chance to listen to FTP back then.

It's just not true that it was the Axl show. They gave into a lot of his bullshit for the UYI tour and the videos, but as far as fame and public image, Slash was huge. And as much as he might have hated some of those videos, they (NR in particular) made him as iconic as ever.

This is how I saw it at the time. Although Axl was always my favorite, him and Slash were on the same level. When Slash left, I thought GNR was just over. I've thought that for years actually. Just like them, I couldn't imagine Guns without Slash (and Duff to a lesser degree), that just wasn't possible.

That's not real guns n roses.

Yeah, but do you believe Slash thought he will never get the chance to return to the band when he left Guns?

I've bandied the idea around that maybe he thought he was doing a Joe Perry. But Slash fans said he was never going back because it was Axls fault. I think maybe he pretended to be open to a reunion but really he could not live under Axls rule. So I guess he'd decided but maybe he hoped Axl would relent, I doubt that though. He thought Axl fucked him over I guess. Maybe it was a case of if Axl let's me do what I want more or less then it's an okay gig. But Snakepit does seems like an ultimatum or test. It wasn't a reasonable way to conduct yourself, but Axl isn't reasonable so there you go. Edited by wasted

So Slash played Axl a riff he had no intention of giving or allowing him to work on? Yeah, ok.

Both Slash and Axl talked about how shitty their relationship was at the time. Both acted more like enemies, and were bitter. When you think someone is a fuckin' asshole, like Slash probably did (just my guess) it's not too far fetched to think your behavior toward them will change accordingly.

And after Axl's rejection of the Snakepit material, it becomes even more believable to me.

Maybe Slash wanted to keep that riff to himself. Why is that so unbelievable? The band was in a horrible shape, it's future unknown. I think it's possible Slash made a selfish decision to hoard one of his best riffs, and not share it with Axl, a guy that wanted different things musically at least as Slash saw it.

Edited by Rovim

Does anyone else find it strange that Axl recognizes a riff after all those years ? What is the year that Slash played to riff for Axl ? 1996 ? And it was released in 2004 ? I mean, Slash must have played countless riffs for Axl in all those years. Or was that one of the riffs that Axl had worked on, then got back to Slash, who then said the album was already recorded ?

I've bandied the idea around that maybe he thought he was doing a Joe Perry. But Slash fans said he was never going back because it was Axls fault. I think maybe he pretended to be open to a reunion but really he could not live under Axls rule. So I guess he'd decided but maybe he hoped Axl would relent, I doubt that though. He thought Axl fucked him over I guess.

My best guess is that Slash thought Axl will take him back cause he was a huge part of the sound and he will never dare to keep it going without him. In the behind the music special Matt or Slash said that right until the 2002 VMA performance, they thought a reunion was possible.

Does anyone else find it strange that Axl recognizes a riff after all those years ? What is the year that Slash played to riff for Axl ? 1996 ? And it was released in 2004 ? I mean, Slash must have played countless riffs for Axl in all those years. Or was that one of the riffs that Axl had worked on, then got back to Slash, who then said the album was already recorded ?

I don't think it's strange. It's a very catchy riff. It's a riff that will get Axl's ears perked up imo. In the style of SCOM.

Axl takes notes of stuff so he can argue about them no matter how much time has passed. He probably asked Paul to record the riff for him. Paul didn't do it justice, of course.

That's not real guns n roses.
But it was :monkey:

Unlike the current touring tribute band that lineup had fire. They sounded tight, they were ready to show the world what they had done, and that they weren't faceless musicians.

I don't know how much communication there actually was between Axl and Slash after recording SFTD. My impression is that it was limited, if any. The famous Slash quote about the song - "That's the sound of the band breaking up" - is notable. I read an interview where he went into greater detail about what happened. Not only the Paul Huge clusterfuck, but what he was feeling at the time before he even knew about the additional recording. He spoke about being in the studio and Axl coming in, never once acknowledging his presence, he didn't speak or even make eye contact. It got to the point that Slash went home one night, put a gun to his head and seriously contemplated pulling the trigger. It was way over before '96, which is why I question why Slash would still be bringing riffs to the table.

I don't know how much communication there actually was between Axl and Slash after recording SFTD. My impression is that it was limited, if any. The famous Slash quote about the song - "That's the sound of the band breaking up" - is notable. I read an interview where he went into greater detail about what happened. Not only the Paul Huge clusterfuck, but what he was feeling at the time before he even knew about the additional recording. He spoke about being in the studio and Axl coming in, never once acknowledging his presence, he didn't speak or even make eye contact. It got to the point that Slash went home one night, put a gun to his head and seriously contemplated pulling the trigger. It was way over before '96, which is why I question why Slash would still be bringing riffs to the table.

They were still talking though. Slash said so. Axl too. Guns was still expected to make an album, and it's two bosses were Axl and Slash. Everything you said just makes me believe even more (lol) that it happened. I think Slash wanted Axl's feedback, and just played it to him. But clearly I have no way of knowing that.

Tbh, I don't understand why people think Axl is such a big liar, that he will lie about such things. Slash is a guitar player, came up with a riff, and played it to Axl to see what he thought about it. As for his refusal to include Axl, I've already explained my views about that.

Edited by Rovim

I disagree that signing over meant nothing at the time. It was another show of force and another act of control on Axl's part, and while they didn't realize what the repercussions of it would mean until after they left, emotionally as a band, it was significant.

And yes, in retrospect dealing with Axl is the reality of being in GNR, but at the time Izzy was the only casualty to date. I can't include Steven, since he really was the cause of his own downfall. But after Izzy, and then Slash, it became an obvious trend.

They were still talking though. Slash said so. Axl too. Guns was still expected to make an album, and it's two bosses were Axl and Slash. Everything you said just makes me believe even more (lol) that it happened. I think Slash wanted Axl's feedback, and just played it to him. But clearly I have no way of knowing that.

Tbh, I don't understand why people think Axl is such a big liar, that he will lie about such things. Slash is a guitar player, came up with a riff, and played it to Axl to see what he thinks about it. As for his refusal to include Axl, I've already explained my views about that.

I don't think Axl is a liar. Like Marc Cantor has even said, I think he just perceives things differently. He has his version of events and he perceives them as the truth, even if his account of details differ from anyone elses.

They couldn't be bothered to put up with Axl's shit anymore. Izzy just didn't care. Slash felt like he could make it on his own outside GNR.

But you see how it could be the other way round. Slash sees he's got cash and doesn't need Axl. Izzy is fucked up and just doesn't care about being a huge stadium band. Both grew balls they couldn't pay for before they got huge. Same for Axl, you don't like it Ill get Robin Finck or Gilby Clark or Dj or Fortus.

I guess that's the key, Axl is the special one. There's not a ton of megalomaniac singers around who actually have talent.

No matter what people say Axl has something special, so no matter how great Izzy and Slash are they aren't that special. Slash isn't Jimmy Page. Izzy isn't Keef. But Axl is the greatest front man of all time.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Axl is just a shadow of what he once was and even in his prime, he wasn't the greatest frontman of all time. He had the talent to become one, but his own demons played a part in his life both professional and personal.

"The greatest frontman of all time" does not milk the shit out the classic tunes he wrote with people who is not in the band anymore and with people who he clearly hates even if he has no valid reason to do so. "The greatest frontman of all time" does not sit on his ass for years and does not move forward with his band. The list continues but I'm too lazy to point out the obvious.

Edited by Nosaj Thing

I disagree that signing over meant nothing at the time. It was another show of force and another act of control on Axl's part, and while they didn't realize what the repercussions of it would mean until after they left, emotionally as a band, it was significant.

And yes, in retrospect dealing with Axl is the reality of being in GNR, but at the time Izzy was the only casualty to date. I can't include Steven, since he really was the cause of his own downfall. But after Izzy, and then Slash, it became an obvious trend.

Tbh, I don't understand why people think Axl is such a big liar, that he will lie about such things. Slash is a guitar player, came up with a riff, and played it to Axl to see what he thinks about it. As for his refusal to include Axl, I've already explained my views about that.

I don't think Axl is a liar. Like Marc Cantor has even said, I think he just perceives things differently. He has his version of events and he perceives them as the truth, even if his account of details differ from anyone elses.

But you do think he lied about the FTP thing. Either you believe it, or you don't. Saying you generally don't think Axl is a liar, and that he perceives his versions of events as the truth doesn't really apply directly to what we're talking about here.

Axl specifically said Slash played him the FTP riff. That's one thing. Second piece of info is that Slash refused to let Axl work on it in any capacity.

If you don't believe both of these things, You think Axl lied. All I'm saying is that if Axl is not a liar, how could he lied about this? what he said about it was too detailed for it not to be the truth, or a lie.

They couldn't be bothered to put up with Axl's shit anymore. Izzy just didn't care. Slash felt like he could make it on his own outside GNR.

But you see how it could be the other way round. Slash sees he's got cash and doesn't need Axl. Izzy is fucked up and just doesn't care about being a huge stadium band. Both grew balls they couldn't pay for before they got huge. Same for Axl, you don't like it Ill get Robin Finck or Gilby Clark or Dj or Fortus.

I guess that's the key, Axl is the special one. There's not a ton of megalomaniac singers around who actually have talent.

No matter what people say Axl has something special, so no matter how great Izzy and Slash are they aren't that special. Slash isn't Jimmy Page. Izzy isn't Keef. But Axl is the greatest front man of all time.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Axl is just a shadow of what he once was and even in his prime, he wasn't the greatest frontman of all time. He had the talent to become one, but his own demons played a part in his life both professionally and personal.

"The greatest frontman of all time" does not milk the shit out the classic tunes he wrote with people who is not in the band anymore and with people who he clearly hates even if he has no valid reason to do so. "The greatest frontman of all time" does not sit on his ass for years and does not move forward with his band. The list continues but I'm too lazy to point out the obvious.

He was always too insecure to be the greatest frontman of all time. You can be fuckin' crazy and still become that. But crazy and insecure can lead you to you know...go into hiding or questioning yourself too much that you make your move too late to ever get there or maintain that position.

Edited by Rovim

Slash should say what Axl says to them. Never going to happen in this lifetime.

After 20 something years, and many music achievements later, you'd think the press would realize that the original members won't reunite nor do they need to.

It's like beating a dead horse. Move on.

But you do think he lied about the FTP thing. Either you believe it, or you don't. Saying you generally don't think Axl is a liar, and that he perceives his versions of events as the truth doesn't really apply directly to what we're talking about here.

Axl specifically said Slash played him the FTP riff. That's one thing. Second piece of info is that Slash refused to let Axl work on it in any capacity.

If you don't believe both of these things, You think Axl lied. All I'm saying is that if Axl is not a liar, how could he lied about this? what he said about it was too detailed for it not to be the truth, or a lie.

No, it's not as black and white as you want it to be. It's not all or nothing.

Slash made errors in his book, some stupid / silly things like where he was born for example, and some people pounced on it to show if Slash could "lie" about that, then obviously anything he has ever said about Axl must also be a lie. Sometimes people get their facts wrong, sometimes people forget all the facts, or sometimes they perceive the facts differently than others. That doesn't mean they're lying.

Asking if Slash commented on playing the riff, knowing there wasn't a lot of communication between them by 1996, and wanting to confirm that Axl was told he could not use the riff, doesn't equate to me thinking Axl is a liar. It means that I have some questions and can't really make an informed opinion on the topic unless I get further clarification from all the individuals involved.