Slash is sick of the media creating GNR conflict

Ultimately signing over the name means nothing unless you quit. I think Slash chose to go his own way and not have to deal with Axl in GNR. And that really is part of GNR, dealing with Axl is part and parcel of the band. Maybe that's not an ideal way but its a reality.

I disagree that signing over meant nothing at the time. It was another show of force and another act of control on Axl's part, and while they didn't realize what the repercussions of it would mean until after they left, emotionally as a band, it was significant.

And yes, in retrospect dealing with Axl is the reality of being in GNR, but at the time Izzy was the only casualty to date. I can't include Steven, since he really was the cause of his own downfall. But after Izzy, and then Slash, it became an obvious trend.

I don't know how much communication there actually was between Axl and Slash after recording SFTD. My impression is that it was limited, if any. The famous Slash quote about the song - "That's the sound of the band breaking up" - is notable. I read an interview where he went into greater detail about what happened. Not only the Paul Huge clusterfuck, but what he was feeling at the time before he even knew about the additional recording. He spoke about being in the studio and Axl coming in, never once acknowledging his presence, he didn't speak or even make eye contact. It got to the point that Slash went home one night, put a gun to his head and seriously contemplated pulling the trigger. It was way over before '96, which is why I question why Slash would still be bringing riffs to the table.

They were still talking though. Slash said so. Axl too. Guns was still expected to make an album, and it's two bosses were Axl and Slash. Everything you said just makes me believe even more (lol) that it happened. I think Slash wanted Axl's feedback, and just played it to him. But clearly I have no way of knowing that.

Tbh, I don't understand why people think Axl is such a big liar, that he will lie about such things. Slash is a guitar player, came up with a riff, and played it to Axl to see what he thinks about it. As for his refusal to include Axl, I've already explained my views about that.

I don't think Axl is a liar. Like Marc Cantor has even said, I think he just perceives things differently. He has his version of events and he perceives them as the truth, even if his account of details differ from anyone elses.

But you do think he lied about the FTP thing. Either you believe it, or you don't. Saying you generally don't think Axl is a liar, and that he perceives his versions of events as the truth doesn't really apply directly to what we're talking about here.

Axl specifically said Slash played him the FTP riff. That's one thing. Second piece of info is that Slash refused to let Axl work on it in any capacity.

If you don't believe both of these things, You think Axl lied. All I'm saying is that if Axl is not a liar, how could he lied about this? what he said about it was too detailed for it not to be the truth, or a lie.

No, it's not as black and white as you want it to be. It's not all or nothing.

Slash made errors in his book, some stupid / silly things like where he was born for example, and some people pounced on it to show if Slash could "lie" about that, then obviously anything he has ever said about Axl must also be a lie. Sometimes people get their facts wrong, sometimes people forget all the facts, or sometimes they perceive the facts differently than others. That doesn't mean they're lying.

Asking if Slash commented on playing the riff, knowing there wasn't a lot of communication between them by 1996, and wanting to confirm that Axl was told he could not use the riff, doesn't equate to me thinking Axl is a liar. It means that I have some questions and can't really make an informed opinion on the topic unless I get further clarification from all the individuals involved.

But you don't give Axl the same benefit of the doubt like you do for Slash. And imo, you're circling around the main point I'm making, with never really admitting that you do think Axl lied in the case of the FTP thing. You've said "yeah, right" adressing what Axl said that Slash played him the riff etc.

Before that, you've even questioned it ever happening. No, generally speaking, it's not black and white. I agree. But in this case, you're asking for proof from all involved before you even accept it really happened. That means, to me, that you don't believe Slash played it to Axl (going by other things you've said about how you find it very hard to believe Slash played anything to Axl given the shit situation their relationship was in at the time)

And btw, I really liked Slash's book. I don't think he's a liar.

Someone on one of these forums tweeted Slash awhile back and asked him about it, and he said it didn't happen.

I'll need a source to verify that.

Oh, right. This is the stuff Axl said Slash demanded Guns do untouched. Yeah, I don't believe Axl's account for a second.

How comfortable for you. Why don't you believe Axl in this case? maybe cause he's not Slash. (how ironic)

Yeah, cuz I'm a total Slash nutter. Nice try, though. :rolleyes:

And I don't think you know what irony is.

Of course I do. I've used it properly. You don't believe it cause it's not Slash, but Slash is less trust worthy then Axl imo, hence the irony. You'll believe someone who lied about going to Axl's house (a good example that at least shows he's capable of that kind of shit) but you won't believe Axl cause he's not Slash, not a very honest person as far as I can tell.

Never said you were a Slash "nutter" or even thought it, but nice try avoiding the issue, and talking about everything else cause you probably don't have anything relevant to say about it. :rolleyes:

Slash never said he didn't go to Axl's house, when he first addressed it in 2006 he simply denied saying those things to Axl. He said he hadn't spoke to him in a decade.

Yes he did. Totally did. I even remember him denying it, and later on admitting he did go to Axl's house and explaining why.

Here is the exact quote: "I'm not gonna go into the whole long thing. It was just something that he [Axl] decided he was going to… It was a lot of this stuff was built to promote the next GUNS record and the tour and all that kind of stuff, 'cause there was this blatantly fabricated thing in there that I'd gone to his house and that he and I had a conversation in which I said all this stuff about my bandmates. And it's just blatantly untrue. For one, I have not talked to the guy in any way, shape or form since 1996, so it's going on 11 years. [Laughs] So that's basically it. There's just no truth to it. And all things considered, it put lot of whatever in people's minds that I was that kind of a guy, so it's… there you have it. So it's not true."

He is specifically denying the allegation that he and Axl spoke to each other. He only refers to the part about going to his house in reference to the allegation that he and Axl spoke.

I didn't say he spoke to Axl, I said he lied about going to Axl's house, and then changing his story and explaining why he did go and tried to talk to Axl about a lawsuit that he thought they could work out face to face.

I realize that. I was refuting that he lied about going to Axl's house, he only specifically denies speaking to Axl. He only mentions going to Axl's house as part of the other lie, he never says that that specific part was untrue.

He found a way to give a lawyer answer that makes you think he didn't go to Axl's house AND didn't speak to him for years. (and later he did admit he went to Axl's house) Maybe technically it's not a lie, but can you really call it honest? Come on.

Why even admit that he specifically went to Axl's house after his previous statement?

And I remember he said something like he didn't want the VR guys to think he was trying to get out of the band. Hence his lawyer styled answer.

Seems you're the one who obesessed with wording, techincality etc. so you just admit you're wrong and move on...

Btw Perla send Slash to Axl so who cares? it's just shitty damage control. Every member do this kind of shit over the years (even the new ones) so once again who cares?

Stop being so obsessed

Axl is as just a liar as Slash in every way. They are a bunch of rockstars and assholes at the same time...

/thread

Edited by Crash Diet

But he quit. If he so chill why he run away. I'm not trying to be obtuse. I don't get why Izzy quit either.

We all know Slash did a bad move. In my opinion, it's not why he quit, it's why he signed the name over to Axl and let the crazy one ruin the band.

Exactly. That's Slash's unforgivable act for me.

The fact that Slash was given an ultimatum at all, and presented with a contract like that to sign, is really what's unforgivable here.

If he hadn't signed it, the band would have been over anyway. He just prolonged the inevitable.

btw, Did Slash ever confirm he played the FTP riff for Axl?

Oh, Axl's wanting to own the name was worse than Slash signing it over, but Slash's signing it over was an obvious nail in the coffin. As you know, what went wrong with the band is that they indulged Axl's whims too much, thinking he'd come back to earth eventually, but he just kept flying higher and higher into la-la land. You don't sing over the GNR name to a crazy person. You have no idea what sort of weird shit he's going to do with it.

As far as FTP, all I've ever heard is the story where Axl says that Slash ordered him to perform the songs exactly as they were written or nothing. Do I know for a fact that didn't happen? Of course not. Do I think Axl twisted the facts so that he'd have a gift wrapped Out Ta Get Me anecdote? You betcha.

Just a correction: Axl never said Slash wanted him to perform FTP exactly as it was written or nothing. Axl said he refused to let him work on it in any capacity. Refused to let him be a part of it, or to work on it together and to make it a Guns song. (not Axl's exact words, but close enough)

Basically, he said Slash was not sharing. Hoarding it.

Stop with this xy said bullshit already! It's on a record from the Making of Estranged video. Here you can hear the early version of the FTP riff and band members comments about the song writing process at that phase

http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Untitled+Song+Making+Of+Estranged/2GCHwi?src=5

Ultimately signing over the name means nothing unless you quit. I think Slash chose to go his own way and not have to deal with Axl in GNR. And that really is part of GNR, dealing with Axl is part and parcel of the band. Maybe that's not an ideal way but its a reality.

I disagree that signing over meant nothing at the time. It was another show of force and another act of control on Axl's part, and while they didn't realize what the repercussions of it would mean until after they left, emotionally as a band, it was significant.

And yes, in retrospect dealing with Axl is the reality of being in GNR, but at the time Izzy was the only casualty to date. I can't include Steven, since he really was the cause of his own downfall. But after Izzy, and then Slash, it became an obvious trend.

I don't know how much communication there actually was between Axl and Slash after recording SFTD. My impression is that it was limited, if any. The famous Slash quote about the song - "That's the sound of the band breaking up" - is notable. I read an interview where he went into greater detail about what happened. Not only the Paul Huge clusterfuck, but what he was feeling at the time before he even knew about the additional recording. He spoke about being in the studio and Axl coming in, never once acknowledging his presence, he didn't speak or even make eye contact. It got to the point that Slash went home one night, put a gun to his head and seriously contemplated pulling the trigger. It was way over before '96, which is why I question why Slash would still be bringing riffs to the table.

They were still talking though. Slash said so. Axl too. Guns was still expected to make an album, and it's two bosses were Axl and Slash. Everything you said just makes me believe even more (lol) that it happened. I think Slash wanted Axl's feedback, and just played it to him. But clearly I have no way of knowing that.

Tbh, I don't understand why people think Axl is such a big liar, that he will lie about such things. Slash is a guitar player, came up with a riff, and played it to Axl to see what he thinks about it. As for his refusal to include Axl, I've already explained my views about that.

I don't think Axl is a liar. Like Marc Cantor has even said, I think he just perceives things differently. He has his version of events and he perceives them as the truth, even if his account of details differ from anyone elses.

But you do think he lied about the FTP thing. Either you believe it, or you don't. Saying you generally don't think Axl is a liar, and that he perceives his versions of events as the truth doesn't really apply directly to what we're talking about here.

Axl specifically said Slash played him the FTP riff. That's one thing. Second piece of info is that Slash refused to let Axl work on it in any capacity.

If you don't believe both of these things, You think Axl lied. All I'm saying is that if Axl is not a liar, how could he lied about this? what he said about it was too detailed for it not to be the truth, or a lie.

Slash made errors in his book, some stupid / silly things like where he was born for example, and some people pounced on it to show if Slash could "lie" about that, then obviously anything he has ever said about Axl must also be a lie. Sometimes people get their facts wrong, sometimes people forget all the facts, or sometimes they perceive the facts differently than others. That doesn't mean they're lying.

Asking if Slash commented on playing the riff, knowing there wasn't a lot of communication between them by 1996, and wanting to confirm that Axl was told he could not use the riff, doesn't equate to me thinking Axl is a liar. It means that I have some questions and can't really make an informed opinion on the topic unless I get further clarification from all the individuals involved.

But you don't give Axl the same benefit of the doubt like you do for Slash. And imo, you're circling around the main point I'm making, with never really admitting that you do think Axl lied in the case of the FTP thing. You've said "yeah, right" adressing what Axl said that Slash played him the riff etc.

Before that, you've even questioned it ever happening. No, generally speaking, it's not black and white. I agree. But in this case, you're asking for proof from all involved before you even accept it really happened. That means, to me, that you don't believe Slash played it to Axl (going by other things you've said about how you find it very hard to believe Slash played anything to Axl given the shit situation their relationship was in at the time)

Someone on one of these forums tweeted Slash awhile back and asked him about it, and he said it didn't happen.

http://www.gunsnfnroses.com/index.php?/topic/3722-gnrs-lost-album/page__st__20

CrashDiet:

I'm not "obesessed" with anything. I wasn't wrong either. Slash went to Axl's house, and gave a lawyer type answer when he was asked about it. He made it appear as though he didn't go, when in fact, he did. Later he clarified it, and even ShadowOfTheWave agreed with me on that one. I think it was manipulative of Slash, but he said he didn't want his VR bandmates to freak out that him going to Axl's house was an indication of him looking for a way out of VR.

It doesn't make me less interested in what happened just because Perla was the one who sent Slash there. Or that he was drunk. I care. What's it to you? if you don't care, let me worry about what I care or not. You don't have to read or post in this thread if you don't want to.

I don't think Slash and Axl are liars. And I'm not obsessed, this is a fan forum. Fan, fanatic. Don't tell me what to do, just do what you like and let others talk about what they want to talk about. Like you decide how much I should or shouldn't discuss something. :rolleyes:

It doesn't sound logical to me, that's all. Slash coming to Axl when they weren't even on good terms anymore to play him something he wrote, just to turn around and tell Axl he can't use it? Doesn't that sound juvenile and ridiculous?

But who knows, by this time Slash was done, he was bitter and hurt, and maybe he was trying to find a way to hurt Axl as well.

But he quit. If he so chill why he run away. I'm not trying to be obtuse. I don't get why Izzy quit either.

We all know Slash did a bad move. In my opinion, it's not why he quit, it's why he signed the name over to Axl and let the crazy one ruin the band.

The fact that Slash was given an ultimatum at all, and presented with a contract like that to sign, is really what's unforgivable here.

If he hadn't signed it, the band would have been over anyway. He just prolonged the inevitable.

Oh, Axl's wanting to own the name was worse than Slash signing it over, but Slash's signing it over was an obvious nail in the coffin. As you know, what went wrong with the band is that they indulged Axl's whims too much, thinking he'd come back to earth eventually, but he just kept flying higher and higher into la-la land. You don't sing over the GNR name to a crazy person. You have no idea what sort of weird shit he's going to do with it.

As far as FTP, all I've ever heard is the story where Axl says that Slash ordered him to perform the songs exactly as they were written or nothing. Do I know for a fact that didn't happen? Of course not. Do I think Axl twisted the facts so that he'd have a gift wrapped Out Ta Get Me anecdote? You betcha.

Just a correction: Axl never said Slash wanted him to perform FTP exactly as it was written or nothing. Axl said he refused to let him work on it in any capacity. Refused to let him be a part of it, or to work on it together and to make it a Guns song. (not Axl's exact words, but close enough)

Stop with this xy said bullshit already! It's on a record from the Making of Estranged video. Here you can hear the early version of the FTP riff and band members comments about the song writing process at that phase

But according to Axl, as soon as Axl showed interest in it, it was over. Meaning Slash didn't let Axl work on it.

So Slash says "What? No!", never happened right? and Axl said he played it to him, and as soon as he showed interest "that was over".

Someone is lying, or doesn't remember.

So Slash says "What? No!", never happened right? and Axl said he played it to him, and as soon as he showed interest "that was over".

Someone is lying, or doesn't remember.

When Marc was asked about it he said that Axl wouldn't lie about something like that, and that Slash has trouble remembering dates.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave

But according to Axl, as soon as Axl showed interest in it, it was over. Meaning Slash didn't let Axl work on it.

are you deaf? you can hear the riff and Axl heared this riff. The making of Estranged video is from 1994...

Your theory is plain bullshit

case closed

It doesn't sound logical to me, that's all. Slash coming to Axl when they weren't even on good terms anymore to play him something he wrote, just to turn around and tell Axl he can't use it? Doesn't that sound juvenile and ridiculous?

But who knows, by this time Slash was done, he was bitter and hurt, and maybe he was trying to find a way to hurt Axl as well.

That is what I've said a few posts back: he was angry as shit at Axl, (no shortage of reasons with the Paul Huge thing) and when some people are angry, bitter, or whatever, they change their behavior. This is why I think it's possible it happened.

CrashDiet:

I'm saying Slash didn't give Axl permission to work on the FTP riff. The making of Estranged video and it's content doesn't mean Slash didn't refuse to let Axl work on it, like Axl alluded to in his comment about what happened according to him.

ShadowOfTheWave:

I believe Marc, I think Axl told the truth about the FTP thing.

Edited by Rovim

The sooner you people realise that celebrities/rockstars/moviestars etc are all a bunch of self-obsessed arseholes the better. Lies and lying are all part of the business. Everyone plays the game. Yes, that means Slash, Axl and everyone else in GNR, past and present.

I've no doubt that Slash and everyone else in GNR gets sick of the media, social media and the internet. Happens to everyone.

So what? Big deal. Move on.

The sooner you people realise that celebrities/rockstars/moviestars etc are all a bunch of self-obsessed arseholes the better. Lies and lying are all part of the business. Everyone plays the game. Yes, that means Slash, Axl and everyone else in GNR, past and present.

I've no doubt that Slash and everyone else in GNR gets sick of the media, social media and the internet. Happens to everyone.

Yo, cuntface: don't like it? can always fuck off. :max:

That is kind of my point.

:lol: what point? you're educating people in a Gn'R forum on how and how much to discuss a Gn'R topic. Yeah, why don't you go stuff your cuntface with a big bag of dicks? :heart:

Edited by Rovim

It amazes me sometimes, the division in loyalty, who's good, who's bad, whose fault it was for the break up of the band. None of them are angels, they were all sleazy gutter punks when they made it big. It seems Axl Rose wanted to get away from all of that and the others didn't and they turned on him. W.A.R stepped up to be a leader and instead was painted as a dictator. I never had an opinion on the break up, only questions. But after reading Slash's book, I can see they all had a part in the band's demise. I think it's a wonderful thing that they've all been successful in their own individual pursuits, I love the current guns line-up, and I'm really happy that Axl kept the band going because I still get to hear him sing. I wish we had more music from GnR, if for no other reason, they wouldnt be considered a "cover" band. I'd love to see them play nothing but Chinese democracy (1 and 2) tracks in concert and maybe one or two classics in the encore.

• Like 3

:lol: what point? you're educating people in a Gn'R forum on how and how much to discuss a Gn'R topic. Yeah, why don't you go stuff your cuntface with a big bag of dicks? :heart:

There's not much to discuss really. That's my point.

There's not much to discuss really. That's my point.

Do you have any idea how douchey it is to tell people a Gn'R topic is not worth discussing cause you don't think it's worth discussing in a Guns N' Roses forum? We're talking wet Ashba on a roof amounts of douche.

Took you long enough to think how to explain to me what was your point, but your point is not relevant. This is a fuckin' fan forum. You don't have to post or read this thread if you don't want to, but don't come here and shit all over it with your pretentious fuckin' attitude and project how you believe the discussion should take place or how long or to what direction it should go.

Live and let live and all that fuckin' shit. What's it to you if some people enjoy talking about Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and whoever the fuck that was in Gn'R in a Gn'R forum? are you that full of yourself? :lol: There are worse things to discuss in length about, and again, it should be expected that we'll talk a lot about the history of the band and what exactly went down and disect it, and talk about what's going on with the current band cause we're fans. Fanatics. It's totally appropriate, and any discussion of the band is completely valid imo. It's not like we were discussing Axl's facial hair.

So do try to pull your head out of your ass long enough to notice it doesn't have to be interesting for you in order for it to be a valid discussion, which leads me to MY original point:

Don't like it? can always fuck off. :max:

Edited by Rovim

They couldn't be bothered to put up with Axl's shit anymore. Izzy just didn't care. Slash felt like he could make it on his own outside GNR.

But you see how it could be the other way round. Slash sees he's got cash and doesn't need Axl. Izzy is fucked up and just doesn't care about being a huge stadium band. Both grew balls they couldn't pay for before they got huge. Same for Axl, you don't like it Ill get Robin Finck or Gilby Clark or Dj or Fortus.

I guess that's the key, Axl is the special one. There's not a ton of megalomaniac singers around who actually have talent.

No matter what people say Axl has something special, so no matter how great Izzy and Slash are they aren't that special. Slash isn't Jimmy Page. Izzy isn't Keef. But Axl is the greatest front man of all time.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Axl is just a shadow of what he once was and even in his prime, he wasn't the greatest frontman of all time. He had the talent to become one, but his own demons played a part in his life both professional and personal.

"The greatest frontman of all time" does not milk the shit out the classic tunes he wrote with people who is not in the band anymore and with people who he clearly hates even if he has no valid reason to do so. "The greatest frontman of all time" does not sit on his ass for years and does not move forward with his band. The list continues but I'm too lazy to point out the obvious.

Again we are talking about pre-split. The perception that Axl is the man or a rarer talent or the band can't go on stage without him. Axl can potentially find another guitarist and write another nov Rain. This is late 90s, GNR are big. The label gave them a massive advance to make a record. The support was there with or without Slash. That's an element there isn't much info on, why the label continued to support Axl as GNR. But they indulged him until about 2004. I think it's because with Axl and the GNR name it's still a very viable especially around 2000. Even in 2008. Axl n GNR name got the best but deal. A great deal for the band. I'm not saying its morally right or the truth, it's a version of reality that explains what happened to a certain extent. Anyone can bang on about It not really being GNR without Slash, the reality is it has been for almost 15 years. And I think one reason is Axl is a great frontman. Even if technically the not the best vocalist he seems to be able to carry a show as GNR. Edited by wasted

Slash is nothing if not a great promotional machine. :P

The timing of these sort of comments is interesting. Heh.

The timing isn't interesting at all. It's very obvious he's about to release an album and is doing promotion for it. Obviously when an artist is about to release an album they get more media coverage, do more interviews and in Slash's case he gets asked about GnR more now than at other points when hes not as active. It's pretty straight forward why he made these comments because he's obviously getting asked about it a lot and in particular more now than usual. he's not making these comments to promote himself as you so "subtly" try to suggest.

Aaaaaand reading all the comments in this thread now is yet again a massive reminder of how completely out of touch with reality most of you are.

Well, it's interesting to me. You're kinda full of yourself, yes?

It's what Slash does when there's something to promote. Not always, but many times imo. He said he won't talk about Gn'R and answer any questions regarding that band, and that was the reason why he released his book, and yet...

Holy fuck. What would you like him to do when he's asked? Walk out of the interview? Act like a bitch ass prima dona like Axl?

Also gotta laugh at the people still bitching and wondering why if Slash was so cool and chill why did he leave GnR. News flash geniuses Slash left because Axl is a fucking lazy ass prick who's released one shitty album in nearly 20 years and has done nothing but tour leeching off classic guns material. Slash whether you like it or not had the balls to go out and make a career for himself touring new music all the time, creating more than half a dozen albums that his fans enjoy. God damn some of you are so lost in your fandom of Axl you've lost all touch with reality.

Slash didn't quit because Axl took 20 years to make a record. He quit because Axl didn't really want to put that Snakepit material as a GNR record with no real changes. It seems even Axl owning the name and being late to shows wasn't that big a deal as long as the record was what he wanted to do.

Not compromising was an important part of GNR and Slash didn't want to chase the market or do big epic ballads and he had no reason to do that after making a few bucks with GNR. He just wanted to keep rocking. He wasn't cool and chill in GNR he said he was pretty unhappy with it all really.