Slash is sick of the media creating GNR conflict

They couldn't be bothered to put up with Axl's shit anymore. Izzy just didn't care. Slash felt like he could make it on his own outside GNR.

But you see how it could be the other way round. Slash sees he's got cash and doesn't need Axl. Izzy is fucked up and just doesn't care about being a huge stadium band. Both grew balls they couldn't pay for before they got huge. Same for Axl, you don't like it Ill get Robin Finck or Gilby Clark or Dj or Fortus.

I guess that's the key, Axl is the special one. There's not a ton of megalomaniac singers around who actually have talent.

No matter what people say Axl has something special, so no matter how great Izzy and Slash are they aren't that special. Slash isn't Jimmy Page. Izzy isn't Keef. But Axl is the greatest front man of all time.

They've shown none of them are that special on their own, Axl included.

• Like 1

They couldn't be bothered to put up with Axl's shit anymore. Izzy just didn't care. Slash felt like he could make it on his own outside GNR.

But you see how it could be the other way round. Slash sees he's got cash and doesn't need Axl. Izzy is fucked up and just doesn't care about being a huge stadium band. Both grew balls they couldn't pay for before they got huge. Same for Axl, you don't like it Ill get Robin Finck or Gilby Clark or Dj or Fortus.

I guess that's the key, Axl is the special one. There's not a ton of megalomaniac singers around who actually have talent.

No matter what people say Axl has something special, so no matter how great Izzy and Slash are they aren't that special. Slash isn't Jimmy Page. Izzy isn't Keef. But Axl is the greatest front man of all time.

Slash: "Axl, take a listen! this is something I came up with!" *plays the Fall To Pieces riff*

Axl: "holy fuckin' shit! that's incredible! let's work on it NOW! fuck, this could be a great fuckin' Guns song!"

Slash: "fuck you motherfucker! that's MINE. Oh, sweet riff o'mine".

Edited by Rovim

Slash: "Axl, take a listen! this is something I came up with!" *plays the Fall To Pieces riff*

Axl: "holy fuckin' shit! that's incredible! let's work on it NOW! fuck, this could be a great fuckin' Guns song!"

?

Slash thought he could come back, cause he couldn't imagine a Guns N' Roses without him. It was a power move.

Most likely Slash felt Axl didn´t need him around. Keep in mind Axl called not only Tobbias but also Zakk Wylde. I bet Slash felt disrespected. Asking other guys to join the band and help to write music without consulting with neither Slash nor Duff? Axl forced both Slash and Duff to work with Tobbias. On top of that when they recorded Sympathy For The Devil, Tobbias recorded Slash parts again at Axl´s request. I could see why Slash was pissed off, fed up and he left.

Slash thought he could come back, cause he couldn't imagine a Guns N' Roses without him. It was a power move.

Most likely Slash felt Axl didn´t need him around. Keep in mind Axl called not only Tobbias but also Zakk Wylde. I bet Slash felt disrespected. Asking other guys to join the band and help to write music without consulting with neither Slash nor Duff? Axl forced both Slash and Duff to work with Tobbias. On top of that when they recorded Sympathy For The Devil, Tobbias recorded Slash parts again at Axl´s request. I could see why Slash was pissed off, fed up and he left.

Most likely it was a power move, like I've said it was. Bringing Paul Huge without getting Slash's approval was a huge cunt move, I agree. But Slash didn't think Paul was any good. Not only Slash thought he was needed in Guns imo, he couldn't imagine a Guns N' Roses without him, like I've stated earlier.

Edited by Rovim

use past tense please

You excluded the part where Axl tells Slash that he wants a NIN album under GNR name

Possibly. But that is post split. I'm talking reasons for split. The idea that Axl was the man iwas prevalent. It had become the Axl show. It's a fame thing maybe. The label seemed to back him before the record industry collapse. Why was that? Maybe Axl was the show, SCOM, Nov Rain..maybe Slash felt like he could carve out his own career instead of playing second fiddle to diva of the decade.

To me Axl was doing his job, but many more metal than I disagree.

?

Slash was a big part of the problem. I don't believe he tried to work shit out, but instead was interested in advancing his own agendas. Axl and Slash didn't see eye to eye, and you know... it takes two to tango.

Axl was interested in working on the Fall To Pieces riff and whatever ideas Slash already wrote for it. If Slash cared about giving another real chance for old Guns, that was a good time to do it. Slash said Axl was interested in Guns being Pearl Jam, being NIN. Axl didn't like Snakepit as it was, so why the fuck didn't he allow Axl to work on something that inspired him? that he liked?

I gave that as an example to how Slash put himself first. Not the future of the band. I think Slash's behavior became vindictive and selfish, partly because Axl was an asshole too. (the Paul Huge thing for example) But they were both to blame, cause they both controlled the band with maybe Axl having more control.

Edited by Rovim

?

Slash was a big part of the problem. I don't believe he tried to work shit out, but instead was interested in advancing his own agendas. Axl and Slash didn't see eye to eye, and you know... it takes two to tango.

Axl was interested in working on the Fall To Pieces riff and whatever ideas Slash already wrote for it. If Slash cared about giving a real chance, that was a good time to do it. Slash said Axl was interested in Guns being Pearl Jam, being NIN. Axl didn't like Snakepit as it was, so why the fuck didn't he allow Axl to work on something that inspired him? that he liked?

I gave that as an example to how Slash put himself first. Not the future of the band. I think Slash's behavior became vindictive and selfish, partly because Axl was an asshole too. (the Paul Huge thing for example) But they were both to blame, cause they both controlled the band with maybe Axl having more control.

Axl and Duff rejected Slash's songs. Slash went somewhere else with them. When Axl decided he wanted some of them, they were already gone. Sure, Slash was part of the problem, but Axl was THE problem.

Possibly. But that is post split. I'm talking reasons for split. The idea that Axl was the man iwas prevalent. It had become the Axl show. It's a fame thing maybe. The label seemed to back him before the record industry collapse. Why was that? Maybe Axl was the show, SCOM, Nov Rain..maybe Slash felt like he could carve out his own career instead of playing second fiddle to diva of the decade.

It's just not true that it was the Axl show. They gave into a lot of his bullshit for the UYI tour and the videos, but as far as fame and public image, Slash was huge. And as much as he might have hated some of those videos, they (NR in particular) made him as iconic as ever.

?

Axl was interested in working on the Fall To Pieces riff and whatever ideas Slash already wrote for it. If Slash cared about giving a real chance, that was a good time to do it. Slash said Axl was interested in Guns being Pearl Jam, being NIN. Axl didn't like Snakepit as it was, so why the fuck didn't he allow Axl to work on something that inspired him? that he liked?

Axl and Duff rejected Slash's songs. Slash went somewhere else with them. When Axl decided he wanted some of them, they were already gone. Sure, Slash was part of the problem, but Axl was THE problem.

It's just not true that it was the Axl show. They gave into a lot of his bullshit for the UYI tour and the videos, but as far as fame and public image, Slash was huge. And as much as he might have hated some of those videos, they (NR in particular) made him as iconic as ever.

But you're talking about the Snakepit stuff. I'm talking about the Fall To Pieces riff. That wasn't a part of the Snakepit tapes Slash gave to Axl, cause if it was, Axl would have told Slash let's work on it. I don't think Axl and Duff ever rejected the Fall To Pieces riff.

Edited by Rovim

This is how I saw it at the time. Although Axl was always my favorite, him and Slash were on the same level. When Slash left, I thought GNR was just over. I've thought that for years actually. Just like them, I couldn't imagine Guns without Slash (and Duff to a lesser degree), that just wasn't possible.

This is how I saw it at the time. Although Axl was always my favorite, him and Slash were on the same level. When Slash left, I thought GNR was just over. I've thought that for years actually. Just like them, I couldn't imagine Guns without Slash (and Duff to a lesser degree), that just wasn't possible.

And you were right. GN'R was over when Slash left.

Who wrote the 3 biggest hits from AFD? WTTJ, SCOM, Paradise.

Took November Rain and Estranged to heights I'm sure Axl couldn't even dream of. And couldn't reach with anyone else imo.

Axl is the more charismatic one. Unique. More then Slash. But Slash.... Slash is the bastard son of every great rock n' roll guitar player that he liked that came before him. And the only one that shared that perfect chemistry with Axl.

Slash doesn't have the vision, or the artistic aspirations Axl seems to have, he's not interested in making art. It's not that big of a deal to him. Not really.

But he can make his guitar do everything it supposed to do. Sleazy as shit. Melodic as fuck, and everything sounds perfect when he's inspired. Slash's talent is special. You can't find many or any guitar players from his generation anymore. Maybe a gen before, but there was nothing like Slash. What is that, if not a special guitar player? No one had a cooler sound then Slash's sound in AFD.

And you were right. GN'R was over when Slash left.

Old GN'R was over. New Guns is still going. (but I don't know where)

So what exactly happened with the Fall to Pieces riff?

It went into hiding in Slash's ass. Contraband.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Remember that Axl wanted to work on the Snakepit material, while Slash wanted it to stay the same. It was probably the same with FTP, Axl wanting to "work on it" is pretty disrespectful to Slash, as singers should stick to lyrics and vocal melodies. Remember that Axl was also pushing Slash to work with Paul, and since Slash didn't respect Paul as a player he probably didn't want him messing with his shit.

How many guitarists in major bands would take kindly to the singer interfering with the guitar parts they were writing?

Remember that Axl wanted to work on the Snakepit material, while Slash wanted it to stay the same. It was probably the same with FTP, Axl wanting to "work on it" is pretty disrespectful to Slash, as singers should stick to lyrics and vocal melodies. Remember that Axl was also pushing Slash to work with Paul, and since Slash didn't respect Paul as a player he probably didn't want him messing with his shit.

How many guitarists in major bands would take kindly to the singer interfering with the guitar parts they were writing?

Axl was never just the singer.

Not according to Axl. Axl basically said Slash cockblocked him right after he played it for him. There was no chance for Axl to present conditions. Slash wasn't sharing.

So when you say "probably", you don't have anything to base it on cause Axl didn't like Snakepit right away, he changed his mind, and wanted to work on some things, but he still didn't like most of the Snakepit material (some riffs, some ideas here and there)

It wasn't at all like his reaction for Fall To Pieces. (going by what Axl said about it) he liked it right away. Wanted to work on it, meaning he wanted to turn it into a song together with Slash. You don't know that Axl wanted to change it drastically or whatever or at all. He really seemed to like it. And why wouldn't he?

It's right up his alley. A SCOM type of riff.

Edited by Rovim

Oh, right. This is the stuff Axl said Slash demanded Guns do untouched. Yeah, I don't believe Axl's account for a second.

How comfortable for you. Why don't you believe Axl in this case? maybe cause he's not Slash. (how ironic)

Btw, Axl didn't say Slash demanded that Guns had to work on the Fall To Pieces riff and Slash's ideas for it untouched. He didn't even let Axl be a part of it. Work on it in any capacity. Not even attempt to start working on it.

Edited by Rovim

Oh, right. This is the stuff Axl said Slash demanded Guns do untouched. Yeah, I don't believe Axl's account for a second.

How comfortable for you. Why don't you believe Axl in this case? maybe cause he's not Slash. (how ironic)

Yeah, cuz I'm a total Slash nutter. Nice try, though. :rolleyes:

And I don't think you know what irony is.

Edited by magisme

Axl was never just the singer.

No, as I said he wrote lyrics and vocal melodies. However, he did not write riffs or solos, and him asking Slash to change full songs that were presented to him is Axl being an ass.

Not according to Axl. Axl basically said Slsah cockblocked him right after he played it for him. There was no chance for Axl to present conditions. Slash wasn't sharing.

So when you say "probably", you don't have anything to base it on cause Axl didn't like Snakepit right away, he changed his mind, and wanted to work on some things, but he still didn't like most of the Snakepit material (some riffs, some ideas here and there)

It wasn't at all like his reaction for Fall To Pieces. (going by what Axl said about it) he liked it right away. Wanted to work on it, meaning he wanted to turn it into a song together with Slash. You don't know that Axl wanted to change it drastically or whatever or at all. He really seem to like it. And why wouldn't he?

It's right up his alley. A SCOM type of riff.

But Axl also said he wanted Slash to work with Paul because he thought he complimented him well or something, and we know Slash didn't want anything to do with him. So it makes sense for Slash to not want to submit his best material to GNR under those conditions.

Yeah, cuz I'm a total Slash nutter. Nice try, though. :rolleyes:

And I don't think you know what irony is.

Of course I do. I've used it properly. You don't believe it cause it's not Slash, but Slash is less trust worthy then Axl imo, hence the irony. You'll believe someone who lied about going to Axl's house (a good example that at least shows he's capable of that kind of shit) but you won't believe Axl cause he's not Slash, not a very honest person as far as I can tell.

Never said you were a Slash "nutter" or even thought it, but nice try avoiding the issue, and talking about everything else cause you probably don't have anything relevant to say about it. :rolleyes:

Edited by Rovim