Rank Slash's albums on guitar work alone

ShadowOfTheWave

I cannot be bothered to make a list, but, Appetite would certainly be first whereas Contraband would be last. I have never come across a more, anti-Slash record, than Contraband.

Libertad

Ironically it has his two biggest hits Slither and Fall to Pieces. But that's stadium rock I guess. Its just got to be big and loud. Snakepit had great guitar, loose and bluesy.

What's ironic is Fall To Pieces was a huge hit and for me is in the conversation for worst song of all time. Fucking hate that song and always have from the first time I heard it.

I just think to have a mainstream hit record it has to suck. It has to be bland and simple.

Thinly. Thinly veiled. On purpose. :lol:

I cannot be bothered to make a list, but, Appetite would certainly be first whereas Contraband would be last. I have never come across a more, anti-Slash record, than Contraband.

Libertad

Ironically it has his two biggest hits Slither and Fall to Pieces. But that's stadium rock I guess. Its just got to be big and loud. Snakepit had great guitar, loose and bluesy.

What's ironic is Fall To Pieces was a huge hit and for me is in the conversation for worst song of all time. Fucking hate that song and always have from the first time I heard it.

But you're cumming all over the new U2 album. You have questionable taste. Shit's horrid. And I like U2.

I just think to have a mainstream hit record it has to suck. It has to be bland and simple.

Thinly. Thinly veiled. On purpose. :lol:

Libertad

But you're cumming all over the new U2 album. You have questionable taste. Shit's horrid. And I like U2.

Fall To Pieces is one of the worst songs ever in my opinion so regardless of what you think of U2 my opinion on Fall to Pieces remains the same. It fucking sucks beyond belief.

I kind of like American Man... yes, Slash does have a nice tasty solo there... But that album over all likes the balls and fire Slash has on this album and AL for that matter..

Just 16 has some killer playing on it though.. Very Chuck Berry on steroids type shit.

Edited by smoking guns

Slash's guitar work alone: Appetite and Illusions, then everything else. Doesn't even come close imo.

Don't like his Snakepits at all, but there is some great guitar playing goin' on there.

It's always good guitar work. It's Slash. It's what he does. (Libertad though)

Looking thru all these lists it's apparent the majority prefer his bluesier albums to his modern rock sound. Would love for the next record to return to that sound with his new technical prowess, maybe co-write it with izzy since he said he's the only one he can play rhythm with recently.

Nah, he also said very recently he doesn't like to play with others. Don't think he wants to write or play with Izzy or anyone else. (in his bands)

Edited by Rovim

I don't like Slash's rhythm guitar, his solos and riffs are great, but he should let someone else write rhythms.

Great lead guitar player, horrid rhythm player. It just sounds like a lead guitar player that doesn't really get how a rhythm guitar player should play imo, which is exactly what it is.

Or what it sounds like when a guitar player attempts to play the bass.

Edited by Rovim

1.Appetite for Destruction

2.UYI II

3.UYI I

4.World on Fire

5. 5 O'clock

6. Apocalyptic Love

7. Contraband

8. Slash

9.Ain't Life Grand

10.Libertad

This is very close to mine

Me as well, though I'd put Contraband higher right now, at #4. I loved every song on that album and still listen to it often, same with 5 0'clock. Libertad just never grew on me.

There is some decent rhythm playing on WOF.... Lets not over think this...

Can you even tell the difference? Not between thinking and overthinking, just...decent rhythm guitar playing and shitty rhythm guitar playing. Can you offer examples of good rhythm playing from WOF?

Can you even tell the difference? Not between thinking and overthinking, just...decent rhythm guitar playing and shitty rhythm guitar playing. Can you offer examples of good rhythm playing from WOF?

Lots of power chords from Slash.... I think rhythm is killing time between leads for him :). Learning Izzy parts on AFD is so fun... lots of vocal melodie guitar lines and unique chords and strumming patterns.... ahhh Izzy :wub:

We need an Izzy emote.

Edited by Ant

Lots of power chords from Slash.... I think rhythm is killing time between leads for him :). Learning Izzy parts on AFD is so fun... lots of vocal melodie guitar lines and unique chords and strumming patterns.... ahhh Izzy :wub:

We need an Izzy emote.

It's like a whole different approach. You have to love that way of playing. Slash like you said, just wants to play leads. Rhythm is secondary to him heh. It's not for real rhythm players. You can tell right away when you listen to a guitar player. It is possible to be great at both, but it's rare imo.

Different goals. Different things that contrast. Different qualities. I hear none of that on WOF. I hear Slash playing something that will go well with the lead idea he had everytime I listen to his rhythm playing.

Edited by Rovim