Ben Affleck on Real Time: Islamaphobia

Dan H.

Len has been morally compromised because of his Islamic background, although, I heard it is difficult to get a pint in the Islamic state: not many boozers around.

A Dies' Reply:

Well, actually in 1742 in a remote village in the Islamic state of Rani-Stan alcohol was briefly allowed for 18 months due to obscure folklore regarding its healing qualities during the chinese year of the Badger :lol:

Dude, how you like Perfidia?

Really enjoying it thus far. Going to an evening with James Elroy in a couple of weeks which I'm really looking forward to as well.
Bender! I love how everyone assumes you're this thick Northern shit shoveller that eats with his feet :lol:
Only because you fucking told 'em I am you cunt! :lol:

I don't know. I think our violent impulses would adapt and find some other way to express themselves.

The way I see it it's about galvanising your power base and your "soldiers" for want of a better word. Hearts and minds and all that and somebody who doesn't fear death is never gonna surrender if they think there's a greater calling to serve. Simple as that really and it goes back to the old adage of "good people do good things and evil people do evil things but to make a good person do evil it takes religion". :shrugs:
So then what about the second part of my post? Empires wouldn't continue to slaughter hundreds of times more people than the loonies for Empire's sake? Please. Religion isn't the driving force behind global violence like it used to be - economy and dominance have taken over.
See this is why I wish I had a decent keyboard right now. :lol: I'll respond in more depth as soon as I get chance. Just to say though that I don't disagree with you on your second point totally.

Are you going to respond to this or is it redundant after my posts?

In the muslim countries I have visited, entertainment and might life has been so lacking that one might argue that people is driven to drinking out of necessity, which, according to the Quran regarding consumption of pork (another of the outdated islamic dietary rules), would make the coping with existence through intoxication somewhat acceptable.

Curry powder was invented by the British, the East India Company employees to be precise to replicate the tastes they sampled in India, but this was more the, 17th century.

See, we used to own your country. Owned it all, Pakistan, draped in red.

See, i was right, a Dies' reply to a T :lol: and no the british empire never owned Pakistan, there was no Pakistan under British Rule...and further apart from that i aint from Pakistan :lol: Edited by Lennie Godber

Yeah, to be honest that was one of the first immediate like...realitys of life that kinda made me like, think about these kinda things. Sounds silly but when you're like little it's little things like that that are like...they make ya think. Like sitting around in a lunch room in primary school like, hmmmm, sausage, evil. Eat that and God ain't happy with ya and you go to hell. Then you look around the lunch room like Tim, Mark, David, Sarah, her her, him, them, that one over there...all going to hell. Bit harsh innit, for a sausage?

And this is my thing with religion, it's just never ever been tenable? I mean like, people usually go 'oh i turned 15 and like, thought about the world and started asking questions', sod that, i was asking that shit was i was 8 'where is God, is he watching me now, how can he watch everyone at once, what, even when I'm in the bath, does he see my dinkle? Does God have a dinkle, where does God wash his dinkle?' etc etc etc :lol:

There were just glaring holes to it, apparent even at that age. 'if you cheat, God will punish you', so you nick a packet of Cherry Drops to test the theory...nothing happened, i got away with it! :D For a short while it occured to me that perhaps I was God and no one was thinking thoughts like these...then when i found I couldn't do long division I realised there was no God.

Edited by Lennie Godber
  • Like 1

So then when was it with the times is what I'm asking...and why, what about those times made it a good idea then and not now? I'm not being funny with you or anything, it's a genuine question :)

No, I understand. I don't know exactly when not eating pork was a good dietary recommendation. It might have been at the time the Quoran was written, but I don't know. It really depends on why you shouldn't eat pork. If you shouldn't eat pork because of risk of infections from undercooked pork meat, then maybe it was a sensible rule at that time if people were apt to not cook their meat properly back then. If you shouldn't eat pork because it was an animal that ate feces, garbage etc, and as such it was considered unclean, then maybe it wasn't really a sensible rule back then, either, because "uncleanliness" isn't really spread through meat. If you shouldn't eat pork because this was an even older cultural taboo that was handed down from, say, the Egyptions who wouldn't want their people to eat the image of one of their gods, then it was already behind the times when the Quoran was written since that people didn't believe in teh Egyptian pantheon. If you shouldn't eat pork because that rule was just made to promote and distinguish Islam as a unique religion with its own laws, then it might have served its purpose back then when Islam was a fledgling thing but wouldn't have much relevance today. So, I don't really know and I guess it all depends on the whys..

the Quran regarding consumption of pork (another of the outdated islamic dietary rules)

So what date was not eating pork acceptable?

Probably before the fridge was invented and before we had this huge stables were they aren't even able to eat anything then 'clean' food or are to roll over in the mud. :shrugs:

Apologies for the time taken to respond but my computers playing up and chapter and verse on an iPhone is a right pain in the arse. As I see it its perfectly acceptable to hold the opinion that religion is the cause of many of the worlds ills without endorsing western imperialist foreign policy.

Personally I think that weve brought a lot of what were seeing now on ourselves but that doesnt excuse the actions of a bunch of lunatics chopping heads off all over the place any more than we can make excuses for the west bombing poor brown people back into the stone age.

We need to realise that there are people in the world that dont want to live the way we do and do get up to all sorts that we find distasteful but isnt that kind of up to them in their own countries? Weve tried to bring democracy and freedom to these people by force and it doesnt seem to have done them much good as far as I can tell.

Going back to my point however about religion and war I was trying to say that if you want an army to fight and die willingly you have to give them one hell of a cause. A religious man who knows that hes fighting a holy war and is destined for paradise is obviously more likely to run screaming into a hail of artillery fire or strap on a suicide vest.

I mean its basic logic is it not? They after all have nothing to fear in death so will fight willingly until their last breath. Thats why this war is something that the west can never win and we would do well to realise that before we get any deeper into the whole clusterfuck.

Ssitting around in a lunch room in primary school like, hmmmm, sausage, evil. Eat that and God ain't happy with ya and you go to hell. Then you look around the lunch room like Tim, Mark, David, Sarah, her her, him, them, that one over there...all going to hell. Bit harsh innit, for a sausage?

[/thread]

:lol:

I've just realised that "Quoran" looks a lot like "Quorn". Reckon the whole pork thing is just a sneaky marketing tool? :lol:

Edited by Dazey

Apologies for the time taken to respond but my computers playing up and chapter and verse on an iPhone is a right pain in the arse. As I see it its perfectly acceptable to hold the opinion that religion is the cause of many of the worlds ills without endorsing western imperialist foreign policy.

Personally I think that weve brought a lot of what were seeing now on ourselves but that doesnt excuse the actions of a bunch of lunatics chopping heads off all over the place any more than we can make excuses for the west bombing poor brown people back into the stone age.

We need to realise that there are people in the world that dont want to live the way we do and do get up to all sorts that we find distasteful but isnt that kind of up to them in their own countries? Weve tried to bring democracy and freedom to these people by force and it doesnt seem to have done them much good as far as I can tell.

Going back to my point however about religion and war I was trying to say that if you want an army to fight and die willingly you have to give them one hell of a cause. A religious man who knows that hes fighting a holy war and is destined for paradise is obviously more likely to run screaming into a hail of artillery fire or strap on a suicide vest.

I mean its basic logic is it not? They after all have nothing to fear in death so will fight willingly until their last breath. Thats why this war is something that the west can never win and we would do well to realise that before we get any deeper into the whole clusterfuck.

Ssitting around in a lunch room in primary school like, hmmmm, sausage, evil. Eat that and God ain't happy with ya and you go to hell. Then you look around the lunch room like Tim, Mark, David, Sarah, her her, him, them, that one over there...all going to hell. Bit harsh innit, for a sausage?

[/thread]

I've just realised that "Quoran" looks a lot like "Quorn". Reckon the whole pork thing is just a sneaky marketing tool? :lol:

I thought he was purposely taking the mickey. I remember once in school i was in RE with my mate Ross (an avowed racist :lol:) and they were talking about Islam, Mecca, the Ka'ba and Ross goes 'ahahaha, the kebab, you pray at a kebab!' :lol:

Curry powder was invented by the British, the East India Company employees to be precise to replicate the tastes they sampled in India, but this was more the, 17th century.

See, i was right, a Dies' reply to a T :lol: and no the british empire never owned Pakistan, there was no Pakistan under British Rule...and further apart from that i aint from Pakistan :lol:

Of course there was no Pakistan. It was Britannia, the Raj. Your ancestors used to bow to English toffs haha.

[/thread]

Love ya, buddy, but that addresses nothing of what you said you were going to address re: large scale killings and empire and such. Crazies are crazies. They commit the stuff we call murder. That's small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, though, if I can be so crude about death. Who kills the most? And notice how it's not even close. Tenuous connection to religion at best for most of the killing in the world.

See, i was right, a Dies' reply to a T :lol: and no the british empire never owned Pakistan, there was no Pakistan under British Rule...and further apart from that i aint from Pakistan :lol:

Of course there was no Pakistan. It was Britannia, the Raj. Your ancestors used to bow to English toffs haha.

No, there was no Pakistan because there was no Pakistan because it hadn't been created yet, it was called India ergo, British never ruled Pakistan, it was built over the ashes of the British Empire when the English toffs is question got dealt with by a little man in a loincloth doing...well, uh, nothing! :lol:

And how were the English toffs treating your ancestors Dies'? Built them all castles, did they? :lol:

No, there was no Pakistan because there was no Pakistan because it hadn't been created yet, it was called India ergo, British never ruled Pakistan, it was built over the ashes of the British Empire when the English toffs is question got dealt with by a little man in a loincloth doing...well, uh, nothing! :lol:

And how were the English toffs treating your ancestors Dies'? Built them all castles, did they? :lol:

Aye, I know all of this - Jinna etc.

I have, ehh, Scottish blue blood in me.

Aye, I know all of this - Jinna etc.

I have, ehh, Scottish blue blood in me.

How enchanting :lol: