Ben Affleck on Real Time: Islamaphobia

Dan H.

Arent all soldiers prepared to die for their cause/country though?

You reckon? I'll make a bet with you that we stick one of your lot in a Russian roulette with a member of the Green Howards and see who shits his pants first.

I don't know. I think our violent impulses would adapt and find some other way to express themselves.

The way I see it it's about galvanising your power base and your "soldiers" for want of a better word. Hearts and minds and all that and somebody who doesn't fear death is never gonna surrender if they think there's a greater calling to serve. Simple as that really and it goes back to the old adage of "good people do good things and evil people do evil things but to make a good person do evil it takes religion". :shrugs:

So then what about the second part of my post? Empires wouldn't continue to slaughter hundreds of times more people than the loonies for Empire's sake? Please. Religion isn't the driving force behind global violence like it used to be - economy and dominance have taken over.

• Like 2

I don't know. I think our violent impulses would adapt and find some other way to express themselves.

The way I see it it's about galvanising your power base and your "soldiers" for want of a better word. Hearts and minds and all that and somebody who doesn't fear death is never gonna surrender if they think there's a greater calling to serve. Simple as that really and it goes back to the old adage of "good people do good things and evil people do evil things but to make a good person do evil it takes religion". :shrugs:
So then what about the second part of my post? Empires wouldn't continue to slaughter hundreds of times more people than the loonies for Empire's sake? Please. Religion isn't the driving force behind global violence like it used to be - economy and dominance have taken over.
See this is why I wish I had a decent keyboard right now. :lol: I'll respond in more depth as soon as I get chance. Just to say though that I don't disagree with you on your second point totally.

Imagine if none of these people believed in sky fairies........

We'd just find some other reason to kill each other.
We wouldn't expect to be rewarded for it in eternity though. ;)

Everyone would be the same amount of dead though.

It's like the argument that if we remove guns from the streets the murder rate would be the same only people would be killing each other with knives instead. And if we were to remove the knives they'd use rocks. And if we removed the rocks they'd strangle each other.

Personally I have never understand the weird concept that there will always be a fixed amount of murder. Is it some kind of magics? Or just a weird idea about the constantness of murder rates that appeals to bleak minds who enjoy being negative and hopeless? I believe that if we remove the reasons people have for killing each other, people would stop killing each other. Maybe I am a simpleton, but I think it really is that simple. I am not saying religion is a very big cause of killings toda, but I sincerely believe that if there were no wars and murders motivated by religion, there would be less people murdered every year. I simply don't think there is something wired into our genes that would make us increase murder for other reasons as soon as we somehow sensed that the murder rate had started dropping and that things were going too well. I find that idea absurd.

• Like 1

If we look at the percentage of people who die from murder today and in past generations (the numbers are sketchy but I believe a thorough case could be made), less people die from murder now than before. So whatever we have done to decrease muder rates, humans haven't compensated for this by finding new reasons to kill each other. I simply see no evidence of our violent tempers finding a way to expres themselves so the muder rate remains constant. Through economic dependence, development of functioning states, etc, we HAVE managed to remove reasons people kill each other and live more in peace (talking about Europe here). I see absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be exactly the same with religion. Remove religion and we have YET one less reason to kill each other.

If we look at the percentage of people who die from murder today and in past generations (the numbers are sketchy but I believe a thorough case could be made), less people die from murder now than before. So whatever we have done to decrease muder rates, humans haven't compensated for this by finding new reasons to kill each other. I simply see no evidence of our violent tempers finding a way to expres themselves so the muder rate remains constant. Through economic dependence, development of functioning states, etc, we HAVE managed to remove reasons people kill each other and live more in peace (talking about Europe here). I see absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be exactly the same with religion. Remove religion and we have YET one less reason to kill each other.

lets do that right after we abolish marriages and love affairs since infidelity and jealousy also at times have known to inspire people to murder :P

Edited by Ketan

lets do that right after we abolish marriages and love affairs since infidelity and jealousy also at times have known to inspire people to murder :P

And as we both know those are the best kind!

MEH TERE DHUR PEH AYAA HOON!

Edited by Lennie Godber
  • Like 1

This is such a "dark" thread, full of negativity and controversial subjects....I think it's time to spread some love around.....from Orlando, Fl....Mickey and Minnie Mouse:

776714834_783288.gif

:P

In my defence, my last post quoted a song from a film about an ancient Persian love story, the same one Clapton Layla was based on :D

• Like 2

Did Kamikhazis do it based on some kinda faith or were they just mentalists? :lol:

According to pre-1945 Shintoism, the Japanese Emperor was literally descended from Amaterasu (the sun goddess) and therefore was divine incarnate. The Japanese islands themselves were created by deities, Izanagi and Izanami. Kamikaze incidentally means 'divine wind' (kami: deities, gods; kaze: wind); it was a term first used during the Mongol invasion of 1281, which swept away the Khan's hordes.

Yahzids are not christians at all, they have their own religion. They are basicly devil worshippers. The (sjiitic) muslims, and muslim kurds are covered in my country just as much. The difference is ISIS sees the yahzids as evil and they are definately killed when ISIS gets them, while the others might have a chance as long as they were not fighting ISIS and adjust.

They are not devil worshippers. They just blend elements of Christianity, Islam and Zoroastrianism.

My mistake, the Christian Yazdidis are the one ISIL spare so they can pay the "People of the Book" tax.

Imagine if none of these people believed in sky fairies........

We'd just find some other reason to kill each other.
We wouldn't expect to be rewarded for it in eternity though. ;)

Religion or not, whoever controls the region gets a shitload of money.

I know Georgy, but they don't see 'Satan' (for them the Peacock Angel) as evil anymore. He is their main Angel to worship, cause in their religion he was forgiven. And that's why other religions see them as Devil Worshippers, allthough in their religion he is not a devil, but their most important angel.

Their religion is very interesting actually and very peacefull. You can't get a Yazidi, you are born as one.

It doesn't matter, born as a yazidi, you are most likely to die under the rule of ISIS. But they were hunted before already. They suffered for centuries.

they are also kurds, which are divided and have other religions (mostly islam) as well.

You probably already knew Georgy, I just wanted to write down some information.

Edited by MB.

Dude, how you like Perfidia?

Really enjoying it thus far. Going to an evening with James Elroy in a couple of weeks which I'm really looking forward to as well.
Bender! I love how everyone assumes you're this thick Northern shit shoveller that eats with his feet :lol: Edited by Lennie Godber

I know Georgy, but they don't see 'Satan' (for them the Peacock Angel) as evil anymore. He is their main Angel to worship, cause in their religion he was forgiven. And that's why other religions see them as Devil Worshippers, allthough in their religion he is not a devil, but their most important angel.

Their religion is very interesting actually and very peacefull. You can't get a Yazidi, you are born as one.

It doesn't matter, born as a yazidi, you are most likely to die under the rule of ISIS. But they were hunted before already. They suffered for centuries.

they are also kurds, which are divided and have other religions (mostly islam) as well.

Well, that'll certainly go down well in the muslim world :lol: