I think this is one of the best live performances of WTTJ What do you think?

I think the 1988 VMA performance of WTTJ in one of the best live WTTJ of all time.

That badass scream at the front, the energy they had will little audience interaction, but that was normal for the VMAs back then.

The way he sung the first half of the song was amazing, I think he did fuck up his voice toward the end but it was still great.

I hate how the WTTJ opening scream or howl has been done really since parts of the UYI tour, trading the opening scream to doing the scream at the of the line your gonna dieeeeeeeeee I guess call me out fashion about that.

Tell me what you think.

Edited by bigcountry

I don't know if the performance in the OP is the best ever but I do know that anyone who says a Jungle performance by any of the new era lineups is the best ever is either on Axl's payroll, completely insane, or just like to hear themselves talk and get a reaction. Nobody honestly believes a new era Jungle performance is the best ever.

• Like 3

I don't know if the performance in the OP is the best ever but I do know that anyone who says a Jungle performance by any of the new era lineups is the best ever is either on Axl's payroll, completely insane, or just like to hear themselves talk and get a reaction. Nobody honestly believes a new era Jungle performance is the best ever.

Shh. They think nobody notices it. :lol:

I don't know about you but I prefer to see the same guys who sat together to write and record WTTJ, performing it. Rather than, you know, a bunch of some other guys that have nothing to do with the song, 'hired' to perform it.

I love the RAR 2006, my favourite performances are based really on what Axl brings as opposed to who he is playing with. The band (any era) are mostly consistent in what they do bar the odd fuck up here and there.

I would need a pro shot of every GNR WTTJ from 88-93 to decide this haha It's easy to like a pro shot version from this time.

My favorite is from Chicago. The camera work is awesome. The screams are amazing, the sound is spot on. You can see the fans going crazy and Axl performing all at the same time. Just a great video!

Edit: RAR was great but look at the moves and performance Axl gives off in the video I posted compared to 2006. Obviously Axl at his prime in 92 should trump Axl in 06 so I don't see how a 90's performance isn't the favorite.

Edited by IncitingChaos

Shh. They think nobody notices it. :lol:

I don't know about you but I prefer to see the same guys who sat together to write and record WTTJ, performing it. Rather than, you know, a bunch of some other guys that have nothing to do with the song, 'hired' to perform it.

WTTJ played by the old band:

Lots of energy, great guitars by Slash and Izzy. Axl's powerful voice. Legendary performances. Performed by its original composers.

WTTJ played by the hired band:

Extended intro (Ashba's Hogan ears), Ron solo wearing Stormtrooper mask, "YOUUUUU.... ME" and Welcome to the You're Crazy, Pitman pretending to play something/enjoy the song, etc... Played by replacements (of replacements of replacements) who have nothing to do with the song.

• Like 3

Rock in Rio 2001. It's thrilling.

The scream at the beginning. ... anyone ever counted how long that was ?

Oh, you want to talk about long screams? OH HE WANNA TALK ABOUT LONG SCREAMS :lol:

Here:

My face melted. :headbang:

2001 was great too! Buckethead made me laugh - in a good way.

VMA 1988 is just incredible. I don't want to drag this thread off-topic but the video makes for a great example of what Axl brings to the table over Myles Kennedy - its the intensity and raw anger that just pours out of him, something Myles Kennedy just cannot do no matter how well he can sing,

VMA 1988 is just incredible. I don't want to drag this thread off-topic but the video makes for a great example of what Axl brings to the table over Myles Kennedy - its the intensity and raw anger that just pours out of him, something Myles Kennedy just cannot do no matter how well he can sing,

Are you trying to compare 1988 Axl Rose to Myles Kennedy? Fuck you. They're not even comparable. It's like, I mean, a complete other league for Axl Rose. He was fuckin' unique. You hear that voice and you want to murder someone. So amazing!

Are you trying to compare 1988 Axl Rose to Myles Kennedy? Fuck you. They're not even comparable. It's like, I mean, a complete other league for Axl Rose. He was fuckin' unique. You hear that voice and you want to murder someone. So amazing!

Well that is kind of my point. People often say that Myles has a great voice but he doesn't fit GNR songs. That video is a great example of why - not an ounce of the presence, charisma or anger that Axl has in spades.

Well that is kind of my point. People often say that Myles has a great voice but he doesn't fit GNR songs. That video is a great example of why - not an ounce of the presence, charisma or anger that Axl has in spades.

Ummm i get your point, but to be fair Myles never sung WTTJ (There's a reason why Todd do the vocals on that song...)

Also YCBM by the Conspirators is not a good idea...

Edited by Motivation

Ummm i get your point, but to be fair Myles never sung WTTJ (There's a reason why Todd do the vocals on that song...)

Also YCBM by the Conspirators is not a good idea...

True but it carries over to all GNR songs IMO

Yeah no... nothing that came after old Guns can compare to a wttj live performance with Slash. Gotta be a fool to think that new Guns can even come close. Love that VMA 1988 performance. Not the best though. Slash came up with what spawned it after all. Slash wrote all the biggest hits from AFD. Not too bad. :devilshades:

HAD. Axl HAD the presence, charisma and anger in spades. He no longer has any of it.
  • Like 2