I think this is one of the best live performances of WTTJ What do you think?

VMA 1988 is just incredible. I don't want to drag this thread off-topic but the video makes for a great example of what Axl brings to the table over Myles Kennedy - its the intensity and raw anger that just pours out of him, something Myles Kennedy just cannot do no matter how well he can sing,

Are you trying to compare 1988 Axl Rose to Myles Kennedy? Fuck you. They're not even comparable. It's like, I mean, a complete other league for Axl Rose. He was fuckin' unique. You hear that voice and you want to murder someone. So amazing!

Well that is kind of my point. People often say that Myles has a great voice but he doesn't fit GNR songs. That video is a great example of why - not an ounce of the presence, charisma or anger that Axl has in spades.

HAD. Axl HAD the presence, charisma and anger in spades. He no longer has any of it.

False. Still got it, but you know...you can catch a glimpse of it when he's seriously into it. Saw it in the show I've attended. People in the crowd were rough before they came on, but after the show those very same people were saying how amazing he was and that he still had it. That was in 2012 where most of the shows were weak compared to what came before. No bullshit.

Paris 93 was one of the best. They ripped the roof off in that show

Nightrain was amazing that night. Slash could barely contain himself. Would have given anything to attend that show with those crazy awesome argentines.

Edited by Rovim

Nightrain was amazing that night. Slash could barely contain himself. Would have given anything to attend that show with those crazy awesome argentines.

I just wish we had pro shot from that gig

I just wish we had pro shot from that gig

We don't, but someday...someday we will.

• Like 1

Wait, are you talking about Paris or Argentina? Because I don't think they played nightrain that night.

Yeah I can't think of any nuGNR era performances that I prefer over original era. The epic 2010 tour had Axl with the same internal fire he had in the old days, although the fire had less going for it being that he's not a kid anymore. But still, it was missing the original band, which took away from the experience for me.

Also, fuck anybody who will say "fuck you, you didn't go to a show, you just like to watch YouTube and judge, you're not a real fan, etc." Stfu, I'm a YouTube Warrior and proud of it lol...anyway, the difference is clear. Old performance > new performance

• Like 1

Wait, are you talking about Paris or Argentina? Because I don't think they played nightrain that night.

Talking about dat argentinian Nightrain. Slash's playing was perfect. Fuckin' perfect. All guts.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

My favorite Nightrain is from AM Ring 2006.

Axl and band included just completely nailed it.

I know BBF done some shredding in the final solo but he keep it close to the original with BBF own style added in, but not too much and it was fucking great!!!!

I'll be the first to say that BBF in the first several shows of that tour done way to much shedding and kind of lost the GNR style the song had but once he hit his stride he really done some really good playing.

Rock in Rio 2001. It's thrilling.

The scream at the beginning. ... anyone ever counted how long that was ?

The scream for Rio III was 21 seconds

The scream for AM Ring 2006 was all most 24 seconds

But the screams will never again be like that siren wail of the original days. Now they are just regular metal-type screams. In the beginning, they were a sound no other singer could make. A deep, multi layered howl. Many people thought the beginning of Jungle on the actual album was electronic. Edited by Amish

Rock in Rio 2001. It's thrilling.

The scream at the beginning. ... anyone ever counted how long that was ?

The scream for Rio III was 21 seconds

The scream for AM Ring 2006 was all most 24 seconds

But the screams will never again be like that siren wail of the original days. Now they are just regular metal-type screams. In the beginning, they were a sound no other singer could make. A deep, multi layered howl. Many people thought the beginning of Jungle on the actual album was electronic.

I agree. Axl really could make some badass sounds and they all fit right into the song, it was amazing he could make those sounds in the first place but to be able to them in songs and they all just fit that too was amazing. We will never see another singer like W Axl Rose, there are some that can do one thing or another but to have the vocal range, be able to go from very low to high/powerful in a split second and all the crazy sounds, all over the fucking stage, jumping off stuff and anything else he can think of and be considered one of if not the best front man of all time(of all time is debatable). I am talking more 87-93 hear. I don't see there being another bigger than life RNR front man.

Back when WTTJ came out and I got AFD my friends would say, why did they put that siren sound at the front of the song and I said no it is Axl making that sound.

You know even with the WTTJ video alot of people still didn't believe it was him and some sort of recording of that sound they used.

Edited by bigcountry

I think the 1988 VMA performance of WTTJ in one of the best live WTTJ of all time.

That badass scream at the front, the energy they had will little audience interaction, but that was normal for the VMAs back then.

The way he sung the first half of the song was amazing, I think he did fuck up his voice toward the end but it was still great.

I hate how the WTTJ opening scream or howl has been done really since parts of the UYI tour, trading the opening scream to doing the scream at the of the line your gonna dieeeeeeeeee I guess call me out fashion about that.

Tell me what you think.

oh ya its number 1

and perhaps number 1 best GNR live performance

i can't really think of one that beats it

Rock am ring 2006 is the best by miles

ahahahahahahahaha

u think that a Nu GNR live performance is better than original GNR at their most exciting and best electrifying moment

LOL true GNR fans i tell ya....

I don't know if the performance in the OP is the best ever but I do know that anyone who says a Jungle performance by any of the new era lineups is the best ever is either on Axl's payroll, completely insane, or just like to hear themselves talk and get a reaction. Nobody honestly believes a new era Jungle performance is the best ever.

I love the RAR 2006, my favourite performances are based really on what Axl brings as opposed to who he is playing with. The band (any era) are mostly consistent in what they do bar the odd fuck up here and there.

please oh please

how can any true GNR fan think or believe that any nu performance beats GNR at their truest and best form

Yeah I can't think of any nuGNR era performances that I prefer over original era. The epic 2010 tour had Axl with the same internal fire he had in the old days, although the fire had less going for it being that he's not a kid anymore. But still, it was missing the original band, which took away from the experience for me.

Also, fuck anybody who will say "fuck you, you didn't go to a show, you just like to watch YouTube and judge, you're not a real fan, etc." Stfu, I'm a YouTube Warrior and proud of it lol...anyway, the difference is clear. Old performance > new performance

agreed

2010 comes as close to what OG GNR was - and probably the only show that may stand toe to toe is the first duff reunion show in London ie. you could be mine and Nice boys maybe could stretch to think about you when izzy first showed up in 2006 as well

other than that Nu GNR tanks in comparison to any original show

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

Myles never sung WTTJ

He did once and sounded dreadful, that's why they switched to Todd.

Don't get me wrong, I love Myles but in comparison to 87-93 Axl, he doesn't hold a fuckin' candle. That said, who does? Axl was one of a kind.

Hmm i'm just out of the loop for a while so i missed that performance :lol:

anyway agree with you, Myles lacks charisma and frontman abilities. He is good techincally and i like him in Alter Bridge, but with Slash he is boring and sounds like he came from a Nickelbackesqe band

I don't know if the performance in the OP is the best ever but I do know that anyone who says a Jungle performance by any of the new era lineups is the best ever is either on Axl's payroll, completely insane, or just like to hear themselves talk and get a reaction. Nobody honestly believes a new era Jungle performance is the best ever.

I have noticed several people on this board prefer Axl's band performances (2001-present) over Guns n' Roses (1986-1991 or, let's say, 1986-1993).

That is completely absurd, ridiculous, etc.

But there is probably a simple explanation for that.

Probably 90% of those people weren't even born when Guns n' Roses was alive (let's say, until Izzy left in 1991).

And, if they were born, they probably were still in diapers or something like that.

So, in a way, you can't blame them.

They just weren't there.

They didn't see it, they didn't hear it, they will never be able to go back and live it.

So they will never know.

What most definetely happened is that these younger fans were exposed first and foremost to this new Axl's band.

Yeah, Axl's band is basically a joke when compared to Guns n' Roses.

But this same Axl's band also happens to play the best rock n' roll songs ever written.

And we all know that Axl has lost his voice and his mojo but he still can have his moments.

So it's kinda easy to fall in love with Axl's band, specially if you are growing up in the 2000's.

There is pretty much no competition.

Any kid with blood on his veins will prefer Axl's band over the disgusting stuff that is available.

From Creed to Nickelback to Alter Bridge, I'd choose Axl's band anytime.

And what about Guns n' Roses?

For them, Axl's band is Guns n' Roses.