2015 RNRHOF thread

WFA

And for the love of God, the Smiths should NEVER, EVER be inducted.

:rofl-lol:

We need to begin discussing whether McCoy has worse taste in music than WFA. You didn't think it was possible, but it might be.

Non-rock artists have been inducted since the year they started this fucking thing - deal with it.

Is that true? I've never paid attention. Only time I cared about the HoF was when I was stupid and thought that Axl might put aside his out ta get me complex if only for a night.
My music taste is amazing :max:

You remind me of myself when I was your age. I listened to pretty much the same stuff that you do now and I honestly can't stomach it anymore. You'll grow up and grow out of it.

• Like 3

A lot of bands complain about the politics, but I think once they get up and see being acknowledged by their influences and peers, getting up to applaud for them, they can't help but feel something about the moment, up on stage with the people who helped make it happen.

I still want The Monkees, Spinal Tap and Weird Al inducted as well as whole genres in rock that get overlooked.

If they're gonna go down the rap road (which they obviously are) then NWA is about the most important rap artist they could induct.

They've been down the rap road since 2007, inducting Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five ... followed by Run DMC ... followed by the Beasties ... followed by Public Enemy.

Each of those groups was far more influential, and far more worthy, than NWA.

NO. NWA is DIRECTLY responsible for most if not all of the best hip hop of the 90's and early 2000's. I would put NWA with or even above all of the acts you just mentioned.

• Like 1

What no Velvet Revolver?

I dont dig the hall. When they have bands that they really like, like RHCP - they can bring in almost every god damn member that has ever been in the band (if the band requests so) but when they have band that they arent "fan boy" enough they dictate who gets in and who does not. RHCP had all sorts of guys in, like the new guitarist that had been in the band for a year(?), but for the Ramones they dropped CJ and Richie (who were there for 3-4 studio albums and 5-6 years)... And for AC/DC they did not accept Mark Evans, the original bass player for the first three albums and for KISS they only accepted the original four, leaving out Eric Carr, Bruce Kulick and Eric Singer - that should have been inducted as well.

They change their terms and reasoning, don't value em at all.

What no Velvet Revolver?

I dont dig the hall. When they have bands that they really like, like RHCP - they can bring in almost every god damn member that has ever been in the band (if the band requests so) but when they have band that they arent "fan boy" enough they dictate who gets in and who does not. RHCP had all sorts of guys in, like the new guitarist that had been in the band for a year(?), but for the Ramones they dropped CJ and Richie (who were there for 3-4 studio albums and 5-6 years)... And for AC/DC they did not accept Mark Evans, the original bass player for the first three albums and for KISS they only accepted the original four, leaving out Eric Carr, Bruce Kulick and Eric Singer - that should have been inducted as well.

They change their terms and reasoning, don't value em at all.

I didn't realize that the Chilli Peppers got their newest guitarist in the Hall, that is some BS. It does seem like their are double standards, especially with these media darling bands like the RHCP. BTW I am starting to really dislike that band, not nearly as good as some claim. I like the old stuff, yes. But Staduim Arcadia was their last good album,and even that should not have been a double, a lot of filler on it. Good band yes, but vastly overrated imo.

Velvet Revolver are one hit wonders and they won't be eligible for induction until like 2029 anyway.

So how exactly does the "25 years after first release" work? Could Slash be inducted as Slash even though his first solo album wasn't until 2010, because of his releases with GNR?

Could Kanye West be inducted earlier than 2029 because of his earlier work producing other rappers' albums?

I think the ceremony should be renamed The Music Hall Of Fame Inductions. Anyways, Chic are a funk band, and so is War, so I could see them getting in, besides, Lee Oskar of War is one of the most talented harmonica players ever. Cool to see NWA get in along with NIN. Will Robin be there? I can also see Green Day getting in, and good they're finally inducting SRV.

The Message is one of the most important songs in the history of hip hop. It didn't just come and go

Perhaps that was a poor choice of words. What I meant was that it wasn't really a game changer, not like Straight Out Of Compton was. A lot of great guys like Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Tone Loc and Young MC directly followed Grandmaster Flash, but hip hop wasn't really taken all that serious yet. Even the "hardcore" guys of that era like Slick Rick and Public Enemy were not on the same level as the Gangsta era.. All great, don't get me wrong, but they were a lot more "family friendly" than guys like Snoop, Dre, Tupac, and Easy E. They just blew the doors off EVERYTHING. Linguini Occurance called NWA the "Nirvana of their genre," but thats not even close to accurate. NWA are like the Jimi Hendrix of hip hop. Everything changed after them. Grandmaster Flash is like the Chuck Berry, also great in his own right, for sure. Run DMC are like The Beatles and Death Row is like the Led Zeppelin, this is kinda fun :)

• Like 1

The Message is one of the most important songs in the history of hip hop. It didn't just come and go

Perhaps that was a poor choice of words. What I meant was that it wasn't really a game changer, not like Straight Out Of Compton was. A lot of great guys like Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Tone Loc and Young MC directly followed Grandmaster Flash, but hip hop wasn't really taken all that serious yet. Even the "hardcore" guys of that era like Slick Rick and Public Enemy were not on the same level as the Gangsta era.. All great, don't get me wrong, but they were a lot more "family friendly" than guys like Snoop, Dre, Tupac, and Easy E. They just blew the doors off EVERYTHING. Linguini Occurance called NWA the "Nirvana of their genre," but thats not even close to accurate. NWA are like the Jimi Hendrix of hip hop. Everything changed after them. Grandmaster Flash is like the Chuck Berry, also great in his own right, for sure. Run DMC are like The Beatles and Death Row is like the Led Zeppelin, this is kinda fun :)

But The Message was a game changer. Instead of rap continuing in the Sugarhill Gang way, The Message brought the street into the lyrics and changed rap forever.

I could see LL Cool J or Run DMC being, maybe, possibly, "family friendly"...but Public Enemy? No way. If we look now, of course they all look tame, but at the time they weren't, especially Public Enemy and Boogie Down Productions. Bands, yes bands, that were moving the needle of the game with every new rhyme they spit out, taking the genre to levels not thought possible just a few years prior. And The Message was the starting point of that movement. And the starting point of rap being taken in a more serious manner.

Then you add the experimentation of the Beastie Boys, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul and rap and hip hop were going in all sorts of directions.

And Gangsta rap was one of those directions. Game changer? Sure, but not more or less than the others. Sort of a playing field that was up for grabs with no rules and everyone trying to top themselves and their contemporaries, which made for a fertile time.

There wasn't really a focused effort on making rap albums until Run DMC's Raising Hell. If you want to talk about one album that changed things, and had influence. Add Aerosmith and MTV to it and it opened a door wide open. They were real, they weren't flashy, and they were easily the best at what they did at that time. 2 years prior they had put out "It's Like That" so they had already done the social commentary thing they had some success with.

• 5 months later...

http://www.cleveland.com/music/index.ssf/2015/04/rock_and_roll_hall_of_fame_cla_9.html

One of the more poignant exhibits in the display that focuses on the pop-punk band that made it into the hall in its very first year of eligibility is a "what I want to be when I grow up'' school assignment written by a 9-year-old "Billie.''

He had it all mapped out -- a band by 15 (which, maybe not so coincidentally, is when he and bassist Mike Dirnt formed their first band), stardom by 20 playing "really lowed,'' then superstardom and traveling the world by 29. Of course, like all good kids, he DID have a backup plan -- a football player who wins championships.

There wasn't really a focused effort on making rap albums until Run DMC's Raising Hell. If you want to talk about one album that changed things, and had influence. Add Aerosmith and MTV to it and it opened a door wide open. They were real, they weren't flashy, and they were easily the best at what they did at that time. 2 years prior they had put out "It's Like That" so they had already done the social commentary thing they had some success with.

Raising Hell really doesn't get the credit it should. I mean like fuck the whole Aerosmith thing and being like the biggest album up to that point (superseded by Licenced to Ill?), it's just a really good Hip Hop album. Shame they kinda fell off after that just when Rap was really kicking off. Tougher than Leather was alright but not up there with Raising Hell or the first album.
  • Like 1