What Is Harassment?

magisme

Fuck that, Len. Answer the real question for me. Is cunt a word I should drop on first meet or is it more a first date kind of thing? I'm thinking first date. Like when she's talking about her job or her education or some shit I just don't care about, I just say, "Shut up, cunt. And pull the front of that dress down while you're at it so I can look at some cleavage while I do damage to this surf n turf."

I think that seems better than just walking up to her and calling her a cunt out of the blue.

I think what she meant was if you're criticising that one for being a stitch up how can you not with this one? The guy one is fake as fuck.

I'm glad YOU said it Len. ^_^

Must have been a chilly day, everyone except Colby is wearing a jacket. We wouldn't want to cover up those guns though, people might miss them. Thankfully that video included white people. I'm just disappointed no one followed him for 5 minutes. Maybe he could try sticking a bigger sock in his pants next time.

Oh I see. This almost identical video of "Harassment" isn't legit because nobody followed him for five minutes. You know like that one part of the woman's video which everyone unanimously agrees was harrassment. But I mean the rest of this stuff was outrageous just like the stuff in the woman's video. I'm offended by the comments this man received. Pfft. I'm curious though why should he have to cover up his guns? He's not asking for anything right? The way he's dressed is no excuse for the blatant harrasment he received right? And wow this guy got it from both genders. Sad, sad, sad that he had to put up with such vile harrassment
I think what she meant was if you're criticising that one for being a stitch up how can you not with this one? The guy one is fake as fuck.
Either way it doesn't matter. It's always been said that it doesn't matter what a woman wears. It doesn't give men the right to make googley eyes at them or make unwanted comments towards them. That's true BUT If that's the case then the same applies to men. Shouldn't matter one bit what this guy is wearing. The comments directed at him are the exact same as the ones directed at the woman in her video. He's walking around just like she did and he's giving nobody any indictation that their comments or advances are welcome, yet it happens anways.

I pointed out what he's wearing, because if someone is going out of their way to make a comparison and prove some point, then make it a true fuckin comparison.

He was dressed inappropriately for the weather first of all. The girl in the video wasn't. Everyone is wearing a jacket and he's walking around in a Fruit of the Loom undershirt. Immediately that will attract some attention, just for the sheer oddity of it. She wears nothing to bring any overt attention to herself, he goes out of his way to do so. And for the record, correct, it should NOT matter what a girl wears, and you know what, it doesn't. I've come out of the gym, hair in a ponytail, no makeup, wearing sweats and a hoodie, and I've still gotten unwanted attention.

Second of all, there was some hoopla about how the girl's vid was racist and they only showed her strolling thru a black neighborhood. Again, you want to make a real comparison, he should have walked thru the same areas too. (of course he probably would have gotten his ass kicked, but that's besides the point.) Instead he opts to walk downtown, an area where a large population of gays live and hang out. Half the people who made comments to him were gay men, so really what exactly was his point? All he proved was that men, both gay and straight, can't seem to control themselves.

My next issue would be something any New Yorker would understand. The part where he's walking thru the subway, he's on the yellow line. You see, that line is there for a reason, you're supposed to be behind it. A couple of inches to the right and you're laying on the 3rd rail. Do people do it all the time? Yeah, douchbags do. Those girls didn't say anything, just looked at him. I look at douchbags who do it too, and think to myself, if you fall over, you're on your own dude. No indication there they were thinking anything different.

The girl at City Hall park who ran over to him for his number. Fake as fuck. I'm sure if I turned up the volume I'd hear "action" as she makes the beeline out of nowhere. Of course this is just my opinion, but seems like an obvious one. Same with the guy at the end who over dramatically twists the chick around. And I didn't realize we would be counting people who just stare behind us without speaking. Well If that's the case females should never leave their homes - ever. The girl video didn't even include those instances, but I'm sure no one doubts it happened.

His vulnerability is nowhere near the level of the girl, any girl, not even in the same hemisphere of closeness. Guys here want to blow off parts of the girl's vid where she's followed, or the guy who persistently asks for her number, or the guy asking several times if he was too ugly for her, or the guy who tells her she should say thank you because he said hello, and then tell me this video of Joey D from the Jersey Shore is some sort of proof that men experience the same thing? His video shows 2 guys half his size dressed as fairies. It's delusional.

So what's next, are the males in this thread going to tell women how they should feel when they get their periods? I can't wait.

The women that has posted in this thread so far are Alfie, MB, TinyRobot, P4A, Lio, Angelica, Orsys, FuddMcKagan and AdriftatSea. Did I miss anyone? That's 9 women anyway. You're going to tell us that just because one out of nine women has a different view than the rest their EXPERIENCES on the matter are incorrect?

Also, I'm a heterosexual male,

disputed

I haven't paid attention lately, but is the argument now that since men might also be on the receiving end of uninvited and unwelcome comments from female strangers, this somehow invalidates the criticism against men who do the same towards women?

Well, some people (smart folk) would say it proves it's not a criticism on just male behaviour, but a criticism on human behaviour. Eh, never mind get back to the male bashing as it were.

• Like 2

I haven't paid attention lately, but is the argument now that since men might also be on the receiving end of uninvited and unwelcome comments from female strangers, this somehow invalidates the criticism against men who do the same towards women?

Well, some people (smart folk) would say it proves it's not a criticism on just male behaviour, but a criticism on human behaviour. Eh, never mind get back to the male bashing as it were.

I don't think anyone has been denying that men might find themselves target for unwanted attetion from women, too. I just don't think anyone recognizes this as as large a problem as men bothering women. I don't intend to trivialize that issue, but untill a large fraction of men complain about unwanted attention from the other sex, then I think this is primarily a problem for women. And in this context it is not about marginalizing men being harrassed by women, it was pointing out the absurdity of some people in this thread using the fact that men might be bothered by unwanted attention from females as justification for men doing the same to women.

It's beyond hypocritical because women post endless selfies on instagram and twitter and facebook seeking this exact same attention but when a guy says they are beautiful or "damn girl" in person suddenly it's harrassment because why? The type of attention they seek elsewhere is suddenly real and oh no now the type of attention they've been craving has been given in person and the guy who gave the attention is a sick fuck! PLEASE!

I'm so sick of this shit where society, media and women are starting to portray every single man on the planet as a sexual predator. That's what it's come to. If you're a man, you're a fucking scumbag. How dare any of us look at a woman, speak to a woman or show any interest whatsoever unless said woman writes a formal document stating that you are allowed to show her attention and make a complientary comment. Eye contact is not good enough because I mean shit we might read that eye contact totally wrong.

About 90% of that video was harmless nothing. 10% of it was creepy. But hey lets' make an entire video lumping everything under the sun as harrassment and suggest all men are fucking scumbags.

Agree 100%

It's also disturbing how many feminists are willing to outright dismiss obvious racism because to do so might clash with or undermine their own agenda. In fact it is disgusting.

Do you want someone doing that to your wife/girlfriend? Just curious.

As long as they don't get too insulting to her or to myself, I'm cool with it.

I've been with my girlfriend and sometimes guys would say things like "beautiful!" or... just whistle, you know? and she would look at me like "what are you waiting to react?" but I always think "they get to see you, I get to touch you and be with you", so it's never a problem to me. I'm truly laid back with that stuff 'cause last time I confronted one of these guys my now ex-girlfriend ended up crying on the street because I almost killed the guy. I've learned that there's no reason to get involved in a fight or get defensive just because other people think your girlfriend is beautiful. :shrugs:

You watched a balding ginger guy saying retarded stuff to girls and ending up getting his way with them anyways.

In other words, "harassment" doesn't have anything to do with what you say, or what you look like but with how you say it and the vibe you are projecting.

Agreed. However, how you can dispute that if people think saying "hello" should be considered as harassment? :lol:

I'm no ass kisser or anything but every girl on the street is someone's daughter, sister, mother or wife/girlfriend. I think they should be treated as if they're yours.

I haven't watched the video or read through 22 pages but I read enough to get the run down of the big deal here. If you'd be cool with someone doing it to your family or lover then no, it's not harassment. That's maybe a loose way to put it but I think in general, ya get it.

In this country we don't even pay 'em a full wage and think it's the norm to treat em like fucktoys on the street just waiting to be plucked up and taken home. #douchebaggery

It's beyond hypocritical because women post endless selfies on instagram and twitter and facebook seeking this exact same attention but when a guy says they are beautiful or "damn girl" in person suddenly it's harrassment because why? The type of attention they seek elsewhere is suddenly real and oh no now the type of attention they've been craving has been given in person and the guy who gave the attention is a sick fuck! PLEASE!

I'm so sick of this shit where society, media and women are starting to portray every single man on the planet as a sexual predator. That's what it's come to. If you're a man, you're a fucking scumbag. How dare any of us look at a woman, speak to a woman or show any interest whatsoever unless said woman writes a formal document stating that you are allowed to show her attention and make a complientary comment. Eye contact is not good enough because I mean shit we might read that eye contact totally wrong.

About 90% of that video was harmless nothing. 10% of it was creepy. But hey lets' make an entire video lumping everything under the sun as harrassment and suggest all men are fucking scumbags.

Perhaps its worth considering that if a girl makes a facebook pic or whatever where shes pouting or whatever that thats all it is, the rest of the monologue you interpret through the eye contact you make with the pic is all in your head and not something she should be made to answer.

There is a difference between expressing ones sexuality and offering ones sexuality, facebook isnt a cattle market, its a thing whereby certain social circles can connect.

Anyway, i seen pics on facebook with girls with glasses and cardigans and guys are like 'oh, shes doin' the cute bookworm thing'.

To me the problem appears when you consider an instagram-selfie or a facebook picture to be 'attention craving' and then start tripping when they aint after your attention. Thats actually quite illuminating if you think about it, you're looking down on these girls from the get-go, you think that because they got themselves on instagram or facebook that they're 'attention seeking', perhaps that sub-concious contempt shows in your approach and thats why you ain't getting nowhere? When you say 'say bitch, you need to thank ya momma for dat ass' at some girl in the street that she sees the inherent disrespect in such an approach, how much can you respect someone, a stranger at that, that you shout at in the street?

Shit, im a guy and i dont even like when my mates shout at me in the street, dont yell or whistle at me in the street and motion for me to come over, im a human being, you wanna talk to me come walk over and talk to me like a normal human being, i find it jarring and unpleasant and in the wrong i've told a few to people to fuck off for it.

Shit, im a guy and i dont even like when my mates shout at me in the street, dont yell or whistle at me in the street and motion for me to come over, im a human being, you wanna talk to me come walk over and talk to me like a normal human being, i find it jarring and unpleasant and in the wrong i've told a few to people to fuck off for it.

Couldn't agree more.

That shit gets frustrating at some point.

Edited by Nosaj Thing

This is why I hate these kind of videos. They take a legit issue, make a highly dubious manipulative video designed to outrage people, then add a link looking for donations to some sketchy non-profit.

It's fucking bullshit much like that KONY2012 shit that every social justice warrior on facebook has conveniently forgotten.

Guarantee you that next month there will be another idiotic hyped up video gone viral designed to part suckers with their money.

• Like 1

Do you want someone doing that to your wife/girlfriend? Just curious.

What's gotten lost in the hoopla is that no one has condoned any of the behavior in the video, other than the "have a nice day" and "have a beautiful day" moments. No one. Am I mistaken? Has anyone condoned the behaviors? Before things went sideways it was about what constitutes harassment, hence the thread title. Personally, I think we need to differentiate between what is OK, what is awkward, what is rude, and what is harassment. Behaviors in the video run the gamut. To lump them all together as harassment is to cheapen and dilute an important term and issue.

inb4 my words are twisted as misogynist

Agree 100%

It's also disturbing how many feminists are willing to outright dismiss obvious racism because to do so might clash with or undermine their own agenda. In fact it is disgusting.

Stop with this crap, dude! It has NOTHING to do with racism, get out of your fucking bubble and take a plane to Europe, take a plane to Latinamerica.... It happens everywhere, among all races.

Why would feminist want to neglect racism? Feminist care about women, of all races, all social classes and all cultures in the world. What you say have no basis and stop trying to make this topic a racist shit because you are peeing out of the litter box.

If you have a case for racism then open another thread and talk about it, but don't try to shame or ruin this topic, which is a legit issue for women. And I REPEAT, we don't need this video to learn what's been going on for centuries. This street harassment is as old as my grandma. I could get the footage of security cameras in the street and it would be pretty much the same or worse.

• Like 2

I think Rusty has come to this thread late so has probably missed a lot of that Mag.

Yeah, I hope that didn't come across like I thought he was going to call me a misogynist. Just wanted to give him an honest account of my intentions with the thread in case he saw a few of my piss taking posts and thought my intention was just to make a mockery of the whole thing.