What Is Harassment?

magisme

Alfie, the whole point of the thread and my attention to it has been to think about the issue, including thinking about why some women have such a strong response.

People's responses are usually based on their experiences. A simple 'hello' or 'good morning' is perfectly innocuous on paper, agreed. But I've done the smile/nod politely thing and have promptly been followed for blocks when it was taken for a come-on. I've blatantly ignored it, only to be BELLOWED at for being an uppity bitch etc.

Don't worry, just tell him about you taste in music, he'd've soon fucked off :lol:

'The Afghan Wh...? Y'know what, i just remembered, I'm late for...an AIDS test!' *sound of feet running away* :lol:

Alfie, the whole point of the thread and my attention to it has been to think about the issue, including thinking about why some women have such a strong response.

People's responses are usually based on their experiences. A simple 'hello' or 'good morning' is perfectly innocuous on paper, agreed. But I've done the smile/nod politely thing and have promptly been followed for blocks when it was taken for a come-on. I've blatantly ignored it, only to be BELLOWED at for being an uppity bitch etc. For me it's not so much the greeting or acknowledgement itself, but the fact that I've suddenly been put in a situation where I have to worry about how the guy will react to my reaction.

I know some women enjoy it (or are at least unfazed by it), but I don't think it hurts to be aware of the fact that many find it annoying (and some downright confronting).

Yeah but you're an absolute fox, in France you would be known as la renard and be hunted with only your cunning and guile to protect you.

I understand where you're coming from though, that is fucked.

People's responses are usually based on their experiences. A simple 'hello' or 'good morning' is perfectly innocuous on paper, agreed. But I've done the smile/nod politely thing and have promptly been followed for blocks when it was taken for a come-on. I've blatantly ignored it, only to be BELLOWED at for being an uppity bitch etc. For me it's not so much the greeting or acknowledgement itself, but the fact that I've suddenly been put in a situation where I have to worry about how the guy will react to my reaction.

I know some women enjoy it (or are at least unfazed by it), but I don't think it hurts to be aware of the fact that many find it annoying (and some downright confronting).

Yeah but you're an absolute fox, in France you would be known as la renard and be hunted with only your cunning and guile to protect you.

I understand where you're coming from though, that is fucked.

She used to be a bloke called Alan yknow, look the neck lump, dead giveaway :lol:

Just tell em Angie, this bullshit has done on long enough :lol:

:lol::lol::huh: Really, really not but thank you

People's responses are usually based on their experiences. A simple 'hello' or 'good morning' is perfectly innocuous on paper, agreed. But I've done the smile/nod politely thing and have promptly been followed for blocks when it was taken for a come-on. I've blatantly ignored it, only to be BELLOWED at for being an uppity bitch etc.

Don't worry, just tell him about you taste in music, he'd've soon fucked off :lol:

'The Afghan Wh...? Y'know what, i just remembered, I'm late for...an AIDS test!' *sound of feet running away* :lol:

Meanwhile on planet earth, they made the best record of 2014 -_--_--_-

Funnily enough I was thinking of that advert earlier in the thread. The whole point is it's a parody advert, the reason there isn't a diet coke girl equivalent is because it would be too close to the truth. I've never known any women behave like that around random tradesmen.

Having worked with a shitload of women over the years, I can attest they are just as likely to go out of their way to check out certain areas of certain guys.

Nobody ever said pimpin was easy Sparky :D

• Like 1

Amazing that you think I'd expect the girl to act like she won the lottery and immediately swoon. That says a lot. No, I'd expect that she'd act like a kind and flattered person, because that's what people do, and that's what's always happened. Holy shit. What happened to some of you as children that made you like this?

And who said anything about needing a complete stranger to validate them? I don't even know what you're talking about. You sure you're not trying to convince yourself?

Why would I try to convince myself of anything? I live it all the time, you don't. You can stroll down a street and be ignored, get from point A to point B without any disruption, while many women can't. You have no clue what it's like from the female perspective, despite the fact you've now been told numerous times.

That's great that you have 3 female friends, 2 of whom crave the attention. I don't, my female friends don't. The females in this thread don't, women who come from all parts of the globe and not just from the small bubble of your existence.

A compliment IS a validation, but It means a lot more to me to have my guy, a friend, a co-worker doing the complimenting than it does some stranger passing me on the street, because, like I already said, of the intention behind it. I'm not strutting down a runway or wearing a bikini at the Miss Universe contest. I'm walking down the street minding my own business. I'm not smiling, making extended eye contact, there is nothing that says hey, let's engage in conversation. Yet guys think they have a right to do so. A sense of entitlement to think ok. It's not. Myself and others are giving you the female perspective, we are the ones on the receiving end, we deal with this on a daily basis , yet you're disagreeing as if we're somehow wrong. It's bizarre.

And tell me why someone should be flattered because a guy said hello? Like I've said, if he's doing it to one, we know he's doing it to dozens of other women he walks by. What's so flattering about that? What's so great about invading my personal space, disrupting my thoughts or a conversation I'm having with someone else? Why can women pass a good looking guy on the street and not feel the need to say anything? To think that any of this has to do with feminism shows just how little guys understand.

Nobody really. You know girls it is ok to admit this video is shit and manipulative and racist. Admitting that doesn't invalidate the point it claims it was trying to make concerning women getting harassed on the street. Every guy knows that happens and that some guys take it too far. But if you want to discuss that in a fair manner then this kind of video is the worst possible starting point.

The video shows a small portion of the city, but I don't consider it as racist or manipulative. It's New York City. These neighborhoods do exist and women do have to walk thru them. Not everyone lives or works on family friendly streets lined with multi million dollar brownstones, not that it makes much of a difference. Maybe the fact that the woman's boyfriend is a Wall St banker is a reason they didn't include footage, if they even went down there. But I'm telling you the results would have been much the same however. You've got mags who is a school teacher and dresses like he's going to pose for the cover of GQ and he does it. Has nothing to do with race. ALL men, Black, White, Asian, fat, skinny, young, old, cute, ugly, have done this to me. I don't walk thru Harlem or Hells Kitchen, yet what happened to her has happened to me everywhere else. I don't know why the video doesn't depict that, but it's not because it doesn't exist. Maybe we'll get a part 2.

• Like 4

Do we really want to go down the route of "women don't behave like this" in this thread?

I live in a city where there are a lot of hen parties every weekend.

Virtually every single one of them revolve around shouting/leering at men everywhere they go and the more drunk they get the more physical they get.

I've had my arse pinched and my junk grabbed so many times by girls at these things that I've lost count. And it has happened to me in bars/clubs AND on the street.

• Like 1

Do we really want to go down the route of "women don't behave like this" in this thread?

Virtually every single one of them revolve around shouting/leering at men everywhere they go and the more drunk they get the more physical they get.

I've had my arse pinched and my junk grabbed so many times by girls at these things that I've lost count. And it has happened to me in bars/clubs AND on the street.

That's totally out of order too. I like to think I don't know any women that behave that way but maybe I do, I don't go on hen parties because I can't stand stuff like that. I didn't even have one of my own.

Maybe you should do your own video Facekicker. Shame both sexes into keeping their hands and thoughts to themselves.

That's totally out of order too. I like to think I don't know any women that behave that way but maybe I do, I don't go on hen parties because I can't stand stuff like that. I didn't even have one of my own.

Maybe you should do your own video Facekicker. Shame both sexes into keeping their hands and thoughts to themselves.

The most important thing is that I heavily edit it, deliberately race bait and include a link at the end asking for donations to a highly suspicious "non-profit". Everything else is secondary :lol:

Funnily enough I was thinking of that advert earlier in the thread. The whole point is it's a parody advert, the reason there isn't a diet coke girl equivalent is because it would be too close to the truth. I've never known any women behave like that around random tradesmen.

Maybe not openly behave like that...but they sure have the equivalent conversations, meaning they think about it just as much as guys do. There simply is more social pressure on girls to "behave" but that's about it I would say.

The most important thing is that I heavily edit it, deliberately race bait and include a link at the end asking for donations to a highly suspicious "non-profit". Everything else is secondary :lol:

I should probably say for the record I haven't watched the video in question, these things are often edited or have some kind of agenda. I've been responding in this thread based on the OP question and my own experiences.

Maybe not openly behave like that...but they sure have the equivalent conversations, meaning they think about it just as much as guys do. There simply is more social pressure on girls to "behave" but that's about it I would say.

Thinking about stuff is fine though, it doesn't interrupt or bother the other person. If I see a guy I think is attractive in the street I keep the thought in my head, yes some girls will point it out to friends but personally I'm not even comfortable with that. I don't particularly want people knowing who I find attractive to be honest.

Having worked with a shitload of women over the years, I can attest they are just as likely to go out of their way to check out certain areas of certain guys. The only difference, women then gossip about it afterward.

If I had a dime for every time I noticed a woman taking a quick glance toward my package mid-conversation, I'd have enough money for an official GNR t-shirt. :lol:

Yeah, do they also follow the guys around on the streets? Do they demand their phonenumber? Are they much stronger and call them 'whore' or 'grumpy bitch' when not giving the right reaction? Are they shouting compliments to them, so everybody can hear it and turn their faces to you?

Did they turn their face close to your crotch and did they say 'wow nice dick!'?

Facing shit like this when just walking the streets, is exactly why an 'innocent' given compliment can be wrong recieved. I am talking about 'just walking the street, going from A to B, minding your own business, being in a hurry, thinking of your work etc. Just be aware of the fact not all men are meaning it in a nice way or behaving in a nice way. So our experiences have put our guards up.

• Like 3

Just had a fantastic conversation with my first period class about this. Restored my faith in humanity a bit. :lol:

The kids put everything we've said in here to shame, honestly. Both sides.

Like i was saying earlier, kids have a lot more suss than we give em credit for. Actually i don't think that was in this thread. Whatever, i fuckin' said it so I'm right so there :lol:

Just had a fantastic conversation with my first period class about this. Restored my faith in humanity a bit. :lol:

The kids put everything we've said in here to shame, honestly. Both sides.

This doesn't mean much without examples. How old are these kids? Ask the females to get back to you on the same debate in 10 -15 years time and see if they hold the same opinions.