Why do Axl fans always buy multiple copies of stuff?

I see them today saying, ''I will buy five copies of Vegas dvd and give three of them to friends and one to the dog''. I remember them doing something similar when Chinese Democracy was released. It is, weird behaviour. For me, only one copy of any album I have ever bought has sufficed and I do not wish to proliferate random newgnr items on unsuspecting acquaintances, with I expect differing musical tastes to myself - I would rather buy them a plant or a pair of socks if we are discussing christmas or birthday presents here.

I don't know I used to read a megadeth forum and they'd kinda subtly compete whenever something new was released 'I bought 5 copies this morning, even thinking of getting 2 more for a friend who kind of likes them and my office buddy since I think he'll like it', 'I'm buying 10 copies this over time, help boost those numbers and it's great to spread the word, everyone likes free stuff, right?', god forbid I barely saw anyone ever state outright they only got 1 copy for fear of being strung up on a telephone wire or something.

Nothing wrong with being enthusiastic about something you support. And I wouldn't say it's just an Axl thing. Many fans of different bands do it as well.

I remember back when UYI 1&2 were released many of my friends were buying multiple copies. Though I didn't buy multiple copies at the same time, I probably bought those albums numerous times over the years as a result of 'em getting lost or broken.

Can you imagine if you're not even a GNR fan and some dumbass friend of yours walks up to you and hands you the gift of CD or WoF? :lol:

Yeah, I feel the same reaction when someone pushes music on me as when someone wants to talk about Jesus with me.

Can you imagine if you're not even a GNR fan and some dumbass friend of yours walks up to you and hands you the gift of CD or WoF? :lol:

Yeah, I feel the same reaction when someone pushes music on me as when someone wants to talk about Jesus with me.

Listening to Slash won't help save your soul though ;)

I've only ever bought a second copy of an album if it was to have it on vinyl as well as CD. If I want a copy for my car then I will just burn it.

GNR is one of the few bands that i'll buy anything from them (i only skipped the last Vegas DVD because Axl's voice is embarassing on it) Not multiple copies, though

I don't really buy music anymore, since i can get any music that i would want on almost any format (lossless or lossy even vinyl rips)...

Also my interest in bootlegs increased in the last few years and buying bootlegs in the 21st centruy is just idiotic so...

Edited by Motivation

You will always find retarded people out there and Axl fans are really that retarded.

That said, people who collect stuff usually buy the same item but in different releases. That's very normal.

If I wouldn't consider Chinese Democracy to be utter shit, I would have probably bought the regular, red hand and grenade releases separately.

Exactly. Whenever you hear them talk it is as if they are handing out copies to random people like an evangelical preacher. ''Spread the gospel''. It has an element of desperation.

I have heard of people buying different formats, like the Slash limited deluxe editions (with their extra bonus tracks for different markets) and Contraband (with its multiple sleeves); this is a big financial con in itself but at least it has a sort of logic to it if you are an anal fan who must have everything - especially if a version includes extra tracks. But buying multiple copies of the exact same object, I cannot fathom! If you needed an extra copy of an album for a car or somewhere else, would it not be more logical to make a dupe?

It seems like fans desperate attempts to artificially inflate the sales figures of a poor selling release.

As others have said, this has nothing to do with "Axl fans".

Take a peek around the interwebs. There are tons of people who buy multiples of a lot of things and it's not just contained to music, let alone Guns N' Roses. As someone else said; I couldn't care less how other people spend their money. I'm sure I buy plenty of shit that wouldn't matter at all to someone else while I'm certain people buy and value a lot of things I couldn't care less about.

• Like 1

Take a peek around the interwebs. There are tons of people who buy multiples of a lot of things and it's not just contained to music, let alone Guns N' Roses. As someone else said; I couldn't care less how other people spend their money. I'm sure I buy plenty of shit that wouldn't matter at all to someone else while I'm certain people buy and value a lot of things I couldn't care less about.

Alright, point taken, other fans buy multiple copies of the same objects. But in answer to you and war's point about the freedom to spend one's money, I merely question the logic of buying the exact same object multiple times on the same day (in order to give them to random strangers apparently). I personally have some old LPs and books which are duplicated in newer formats but buying these can be logically rationalised due to their antique aesthetic appeal, scarcity and monetary value. An album with variants of packaging (like World on Fire) can be, just about, reasoned with, if you apply it to those fans who simply must have everything; they might have an aesthetic appeal also, different packaging with different pros and cons. In some way it is good to see the album cover continue to entice people in. I personally am not interested in any of this but I can just about get my head round it. Then there is the buying of multiple editions because they give you something, extra tracks on Japanese editions or bonus dvd making ofs or a magazine (e.g. Classic Rock's fanpacks) - Slash is a good example of all of this. This is logical enough because you literally get something for your money, something fairly vital as in the case of new material. I would be more inclined to buy one edition - the one with the most content, say - and download the extra tracks, but I can thoroughly understand why fans buy editions with exact content.

Now, you come to a situation like Chinese Democracy: it is one album the same across both formats; it is one packaging and album artwork (sans the two ultra rare variants out there); the same set of songs. No possible benefit can be gained by having extra copies. You cannot play two cds at the same time.

Alright, point taken, other fans buy multiple copies of the same objects. But in answer to you and war's point about the freedom to spend one's money, I merely question the logic of buying the exact same object multiple times on the same day (in order to give them to random strangers apparently). I personally have some old LPs and books which are duplicated in newer formats but buying these can be logically rationalised due to their antique aesthetic appeal, scarcity and monetary value. An album with variants of packaging (like World on Fire) can be, just about, reasoned with, if you apply it to those fans who simply must have everything; they might have an aesthetic appeal also, different packaging with different pros and cons. In some way it is good to see the album cover continue to entice people in. I personally am not interested in any of this but I can just about get my head round it. Then there is the buying of multiple editions because they give you something, extra tracks on Japanese editions or bonus dvd making ofs or a magazine (e.g. Classic Rock's fanpacks) - Slash is a good example of all of this. This is logical enough because you literally get something for your money, something fairly vital as in the case of new material. I would be more inclined to buy one edition - the one with the most content, say - and download the extra tracks, but I can thoroughly understand why fans buy editions with exact content.

Now, you come to a situation like Chinese Democracy: it is one album the same across both formats; it is one packaging and album artwork (sans the two ultra rare variants out there); the same set of songs. No possible benefit can be gained by having extra copies. You cannot play two cds at the same time.

You can say that about anything though. I have a friend who buys 2 copies of his favorite comic book series. He keeps one to read and one to store and keep in mint condition. I think it's a little crazy, but whatever. Maybe some people are keeping a sealed copy of CD for their personal collection, I have no idea. Maybe some are giving it to their friends. Maybe if you hadn't gone after 'Axl' fans individually in your subject line you would have gotten some legit responses as to why people buy more than one. Your subject line itself is trolling.

People buy multiple copies in the hopes that Axl will see the sales numbers and perhaps want to release more music in the future. I suppose people see it as an "investment" in a future product. (This is the added "benefit").

If a new album were to be released, I can see myself buying multiple copies. Sometimes an insane band requires insane fans.