Why is so hard to sing Coma?

The last 3 minutes are a beast. It's nonstop, it really needs the rasp to sound good (It's one of the few instances in GN'R songs where I'd say the rasp is absolutely essential), and the verses come so fast. Hell, half the time I can't even remember the order they go in.

Agreed, I used to be able to do it fine but the last time I tried I just couldn't make the high/long note at the end. It's just nuts, there's just string after string of lyric with barely any room to breath then it gets higher and higher and you have to hold that last note. I tried Prostitute the other day too and was fine until the "PERVERSION AND PAAAAAAIIINNNN" part. Once you sing this stuff you really appreciate how amazing Axl was.

FTFY

Is.

The last 3 minutes are a beast. It's nonstop, it really needs the rasp to sound good (It's one of the few instances in GN'R songs where I'd say the rasp is absolutely essential), and the verses come so fast. Hell, half the time I can't even remember the order they go in.

Agreed, I used to be able to do it fine but the last time I tried I just couldn't make the high/long note at the end. It's just nuts, there's just string after string of lyric with barely any room to breath then it gets higher and higher and you have to hold that last note. I tried Prostitute the other day too and was fine until the "PERVERSION AND PAAAAAAIIINNNN" part. Once you sing this stuff you really appreciate how amazing Axl was.

FTFY

Is.

Your point?

Edited by MrSoftie

FTFY

Is.

Your point?

Mediocre performances are not 'amazing'. You should have used that Prostitute video posted above, 'cause that was amazing.

FTFY

Is.

Your point?

Mediocre performances are not 'amazing'. You should have used that Prostitute video posted above, 'cause that was amazing.

You think that's mediocre? Haha, you're hilarious. You think 2006 tour was mediocre too?

FTFY

Is.

Your point?

You think that's mediocre? Haha, you're hilarious. You think 2006 tour was mediocre too?

No, there were some great performances during 2006. None of the videos you posted are similar to 2006 performances.

FTFY

Is.

Your point?

No, there were some great performances during 2006. None of the videos you posted are similar to 2006 performances.

Go listen to TWAT at Hamerstein 06 and then the TWAT performance I've posted and tell me again how it's not similar to 06....

FTFY

Is.

Your point?

Go listen to TWAT at Hamerstein 06 and then the TWAT performance I've posted and tell me again how it's not similar to 06....

Not similar.

I'm not saying those performances are bad, I just think they're not great or amazing.

I've been searching through forum but haven't found this kind of topic, so...why is it so hard and voice wrecking?

Many gnr songs are pretty too much for most of the singers (not to mention their author by himself in these days). Coma ruined Axl's voice a few times, they hardly ever performed it live (only 4 times?).

Do we have any members vocally educated or trained to try to explain it better?

Try singing the song yourself and come back outta breath. Man, I tried that song when I got heavily into doing crappy GNR vocal covers ( still do lol )and just about died. The rasp at the pitch and how it's done totally

killed my voice. Honestly, it hasn't really been the same since I tried it and I don't blame Axl for not singing it live more than he did. I think there is a instrumental cover or karaoke with lyrics on youtube of the song if you wanna have fun and try it yourself, but expect to sound like you got a frog stuck in your throat over the next couple of days.

Seriously, I don't know how the fuck Axl sang that song or how he sings the other songs....amazing vocalist. blows me away everytime I try to emulate the guy.

I'd love to hear the isolated vocals on coma to hear just how he sings the damn song but cannot find any kind IEM audio on youtube to hear just how amazing his vocals are.

Imagine Axl singing a Meat Loaf song. He'd be dead after the first 4 lines

So would Meat Loaf these days.

5.35 onwards is pure gold :lol:

Bitch Tits' singing days are long behind him but he should go back to charging club prices if he's still doing concerts. Supposedly he's always had a big following in England? As long as you have one hit album that still love it, you'll have people showing up.

He should have gotten the original Bat Out of Hell band back together for the 25th a decade ago for a few dates and called it a day.

Nah Axl can still sing... he sounds fucking incredible on some tracks from the 2014 vegas residency, I have faith in the man, he still delivers one hell of a show overall once he's warmed up on a tour, this will continue until he hits 60, the question is whether he's still singing already 10 year old 'recent' songs or not.

Some thing you guys have to take into account is also that the vocals on the studio version aren't a "live-take" performance; The intensity is indeed pretty amazing, but on Coma, You Could Be Mine and most of other songs, Axl recorded his vocals sentence by sentence. Therefore it's sometimes impossible to sing it exactly in the same way because words overlap each other.

Not similar.

I'm not saying those performances are bad, I just think they're not great or amazing.

I think you're hearing what you want to hear, but it's what it is..

I think you're hearing what you want to hear too. What a coincidence! :)

Well, I hear fuck all difference between the '14 TWAT and Nightrain and '06 performances. If anything I think Hammerstein's TWAT isn't as good vocally.

Not similar.

Well, I hear fuck all difference between the '14 TWAT and Nightrain and '06 performances. If anything I think Hammerstein's TWAT isn't as good vocally.

Wait, are you telling me that those 2014 performances you shared are better than '06 performances? I don't want to get that wrong. Please confirm.

• Like 1

Not similar.

Wait, are you telling me that those 2014 performances you shared are better than '06 performances? I don't want to get that wrong. Please confirm.

RIR/download has a better nightrain. I think the 7th June 14 TWAT was better than Hammerstein, yes. Perfect vocal control, amazingly powerful notes at the end. The 06 performance is all over the place vocally, the best part being the end. As always this is just my opinion.