Why is so hard to sing Coma?

I've been searching through forum but haven't found this kind of topic, so...why is it so hard and voice wrecking?

Many gnr songs are pretty too much for most of the singers (not to mention their author by himself in these days). Coma ruined Axl's voice a few times, they hardly ever performed it live (only 4 times?).

Do we have any members vocally educated or trained to try to explain it better?

The last 3 minutes are a beast. It's nonstop, it really needs the rasp to sound good (It's one of the few instances in GN'R songs where I'd say the rasp is absolutely essential), and the verses come so fast. Hell, half the time I can't even remember the order they go in.

The last 3 minutes are a beast. It's nonstop, it really needs the rasp to sound good (It's one of the few instances in GN'R songs where I'd say the rasp is absolutely essential), and the verses come so fast. Hell, half the time I can't even remember the order they go in.

Agreed, I used to be able to do it fine but the last time I tried I just couldn't make the high/long note at the end. It's just nuts, there's just string after string of lyric with barely any room to breath then it gets higher and higher and you have to hold that last note. I tried Prostitute the other day too and was fine until the "PERVERSION AND PAAAAAAIIINNNN" part. Once you sing this stuff you really appreciate how amazing Axl is.

• Like 2

Agreed, I used to be able to do it fine but the last time I tried I just couldn't make the high/long note at the end. It's just nuts, there's just string after string of lyric with barely any room to breath then it gets higher and higher and you have to hold that last note. I tried Prostitute the other day too and was fine until the "PERVERSION AND PAAAAAAIIINNNN" part. Once you sing this stuff you really appreciate how amazing Axl was.

FTFY

Agreed, I used to be able to do it fine but the last time I tried I just couldn't make the high/long note at the end. It's just nuts, there's just string after string of lyric with barely any room to breath then it gets higher and higher and you have to hold that last note. I tried Prostitute the other day too and was fine until the "PERVERSION AND PAAAAAAIIINNNN" part. Once you sing this stuff you really appreciate how amazing Axl was.

FTFY

Is.

He struggled with it in his vocal prime, that says something alright. These days he is capable of outstanding performances but he still even gets out of breath in some less intense tracks and he's singing well and in decent shape, he creates melodies and dynamite that are challenging as hell.

He could always slow down the tempo of the song. He seems to speed up every song in concert though. Like November rain...they play it in like 6 min now. I think in South America they played it at it's slow tempo in one city.

Back to the point. If he wanted to play the song he could, it's just not reasonable to play at it's original speed. He'd kill himself.

I don't see why Bumblefoot and Axl can't dual sing it

That would sound awful. Coma needs those strong, raspy Axl Rose vocals especially at the end... not weak, or average Axl vocals and another singer. He might have been able to pull it off near the middle of 2010 if they slowed it down, but I'm sure we'll never hear this song live again.

The dual-vocals could work on Locomotive where Axl's vocals are really layered. But they'll probably never play that song live again either.

• Like 1