Looks like Spider-Man could get rebooted again.

sweetness

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/12/12/if-marvel-gets-spider-man-it-wont-be-the-andrew-garfield-kind

Sony and Marvel are close to a deal apparently, and if it moves forward Andrew Garfield is out and Marvel will start fresh and work Spider-Man into the Avengers.

Spider-Man belongs with Marvel but 2 reboots within a decade is kinda ridiculous. The Marvel side of the superhero genre really is the 'fast-food' of film making, jesus christ.

Update: An 8-page document from Sony has leaked which basically confirms that their intentions are also to reboot Spider-Man regardless of Marvel's desire to have the character back.

So I think it's safe to say now that whether or not Spidey stays with Sony or goes to Marvel, you're never gonna see Andrew Garfied in that suit ever again.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/13/exclusive-sony-hack-reveals-studio-planning-another-spider-man-reboot.html

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

Update: An 8-page document from Sony has leaked which basically confirms that their intentions are also to reboot Spider-Man regardless of Marvel's desire to have the character back.

So I think it's safe to say now that whether or not Spidey stays with Sony or goes to Marvel, you're never gonna see Andrew Garfied in that suit ever again.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/13/exclusive-sony-hack-reveals-studio-planning-another-spider-man-reboot.html

These aren't terrible ideas. Better than an Aunt May film, anyway.

I quite like ASM2, though, after hating the first ASM. Raimi's Spider-Man 2 is still my favourite.

I quite like ASM2, though, after hating the first ASM. Raimi's Spider-Man 2 is still my favourite.

Jesus christ, Sony fucked Spidey up so bad. Unbelievable.

Jesus christ, Sony fucked Spidey up so bad. Unbelievable.

I like the idea of having him be an adult and going thru the Kraven's Last Hunt storyline, tho.

If Spidey really does stay with Sony, I hope they go with that!

Tho I think at this point I'd rather see him go back to Marvel and fight alongside Cap America and Iron Man. Like you had said, Sony fucked Spider-Man up so bad. They basically don't even deserve him anymore.

I've never thought that Spidey was at his best as a team player, though. He's a lot more grounded in reality (well, as much as a superhero can be) than Cap or Iron Man or Thor, that's his appeal. I've been wanting a Spidey as an adult film for years, especially the bit with him as a science teacher (though hopefully that doesn't repeat all the Dangerous Minds/Freedom Writers clichés).

Amazing Spider Man was good, sequel was pretty dismal. I much prefer Garfield and Stone to Maguire and Dunst, but Marc Webb is no Raimi. And rebooting a franchise that was barely a decade old and that had been done so well (first two installments anyway) was ridiculous in the first place.

Edited by Angelica

Amazing Spider Man was good, sequel was pretty dismal. I much prefer Garfield and Stone to Maguire and Dunst, but Marc Webb is no Raimi. And rebooting a franchise that was barely a decade old and that had been done so well (first two installments anyway) was ridiculous in the first place.

Every retold origin moment in ASM fell flat for me. Uncle Ben's death was a non-event. The school fight wasn't as creative as the Raimi one. Lizard was an awful villain, the "blast a ray/release a gas that turns everyone in the city into monsters" is really old and was never good in the first place.

The few positives for me were Garfield and Stone's chemistry (and Stone's Gwen was a hell of a lot more likeable than Dunst's MJ) and that the film had more of Peter Parker's humour that the Raimi films were lacking.

Rebooting was stupid, but the ideas they had for the fourth film would have made the third Raimi film look like a masterpiece, he wasn't happy with the scripts for a good reason, they really were awful.

The 3rd Raimi film could have been great, but they lost their way by cramming way too much into one film. I bought the book The Spider-Man Chronicles by one of the producers, and there's a point where he mentions that it was going to be a two-parter, but they couldn't find a satisfying conclusion for the first part, so they just cut and cut and cut.

2 I THOUGHT was good when I walked out of the theater because Garfield and Stone are enjoyable, then you let it sink in and you realize the film sucked

I did try watching it again when I found it on YouTube a while back, and gave up after a few minutes, but I still don't think it was dismal. One thing that film got better than all the other Spidey films was the CGI, I was really impressed with Spider-Man's suit in this one.

First comic I ever bought was a re-telling of Electro's origin (Amazing Spider-Man #422, April 1997), so I'd been waiting to see him on screen for a while. I wasn't blown away, but I didn't think it was terrible.

I thought the bits with Garfield and the little Spidey kid were really cute, and got to the essence of the character.

What the fuck was Giamatti doing, though...

It is surprising you mentioned this as I watched the second reboot on youtube last night, the one with Electro. Some cheeky cunt had uploaded it to youtube under the generic, 'full action film' (tip, you can pull up a lot of films by searching that). It was, very, American and CGIey - like watching a video game; I am not sure what these film makers think we should see when we watch this rubbish. Why, post SW prequel, do they persist with the CGI stuff? It was dreadful. Surely Attack of the Clones was proof that the technology is garbage?

On the plus side, the leading man was charismatic - more, glib than the first one (who did an alright job as well).

Sony hasn't been able to cast a good Spiderman or make a good Spiderman movie and they lucked out on the first trilogy due to special effects alone. I trust Marvel much more to find a decent actor and story for their own character. Garfield should never have been considered in the first place. And the fucking nerd from That 70's Show as Venom??? Ffs, what kind of drugs would you have to be on to make that sound like a good idea. Fuck Raimi.

Every retold origin moment in ASM fell flat for me. Uncle Ben's death was a non-event. The school fight wasn't as creative as the Raimi one. Lizard was an awful villain, the "blast a ray/release a gas that turns everyone in the city into monsters" is really old and was never good in the first place.

The few positives for me were Garfield and Stone's chemistry (and Stone's Gwen was a hell of a lot more likeable than Dunst's MJ) and that the film had more of Peter Parker's humour that the Raimi films were lacking.

Rebooting was stupid, but the ideas they had for the fourth film would have made the third Raimi film look like a masterpiece, he wasn't happy with the scripts for a good reason, they really were awful.

The 3rd Raimi film could have been great, but they lost their way by cramming way too much into one film. I bought the book The Spider-Man Chronicles by one of the producers, and there's a point where he mentions that it was going to be a two-parter, but they couldn't find a satisfying conclusion for the first part, so they just cut and cut and cut.

2 I THOUGHT was good when I walked out of the theater because Garfield and Stone are enjoyable, then you let it sink in and you realize the film sucked

I did try watching it again when I found it on YouTube a while back, and gave up after a few minutes, but I still don't think it was dismal. One thing that film got better than all the other Spidey films was the CGI, I was really impressed with Spider-Man's suit in this one.

First comic I ever bought was a re-telling of Electro's origin (Amazing Spider-Man #422, April 1997), so I'd been waiting to see him on screen for a while. I wasn't blown away, but I didn't think it was terrible.

I thought the bits with Garfield and the little Spidey kid were really cute, and got to the essence of the character.

I thought the CGI was WAY too cartoony in TASM 2. It looked like a video game at times

Sony hasn't been able to cast a good Spiderman or make a good Spiderman movie and they lucked out on the first trilogy due to special effects alone. I trust Marvel much more to find a decent actor and story for their own character. Garfield should never have been considered in the first place. And the fucking nerd from That 70's Show as Venom??? Ffs, what kind of drugs would you have to be on to make that sound like a good idea. Fuck Raimi.

I think 1 and 2 are great Spidey movies

2, ASM, and ASM 2 suck though =(

An adult Spider-Man will work.

Exactly. That time period where he was a high school science teacher would be a very interesting side of him to see in a film. Maybe even do a Batman thing where he hasn't been Spidey for a decade or so and then has to get back into it cause Kraven is calling him out or something.

• Like 1

I thought the CGI was WAY too cartoony in TASM 2. It looked like a video game at times

I think 1 and 2 are great Spidey movies

2, ASM, and ASM 2 suck though =(

Disagree. The only thing remotely decent about them was J.K. Simmons performance as J Jonah Jameson and he didn't get anywhere near enough screen time. At least they had that going for them though, which is one more thing than I can say about the reboot flops.