Slash: 'I Definitely Play Better If I Can Read The Audience Better'

KeyserSoze

I guess playing wise still great but hooking up with great songwriters like Izzy and Axl helps the tunes. There was great guitar work on AL too. The stars align once in a lifetime I guess.

The songs don't even come close, but there are moments of classic Slash in there. Just how excited he sounds to play again. I think his first solo on Wicked Stone, Safari Inn, and his many riffs and Too Far Gone musically show he can still find new things to say with his guitar, but the timeless nature of any good Guns tune will never be felt in most of his songs cause he's not a good songwriter. He writes good melodies on guitar and plays them perfectly. Because of that he was such an asset to old Guns and a huge part of it's sound, but the other huge part was Izzy and Axl as songwriters and he never found that again really.

Riffs and melodies are songwriting as well. Yes, he needs the contributions of Izzy and Axl in some way, but to say he isn't a songwriter by himself is bullshit. On each of his solo albums he has written some classic tunes that are high anticipated on his life shows. Maybe with exception of Libertad.

Edited by Free Bird

Riffs and melodies are songwriting as well. Yes, he needs the contributions of Izzy and Axl in some way, but to say he isn't a songwriter is bullshit. On each of his solo albums he has written some classic tunes that are high anticipated on his life shows

He said he's not a songwriter. I happen to agree. What he does best is not writing classic songs. It is not the same as writing amazing riffs and mind blowing solos. It requires different things from a musician.

Even within what you do with an electric guitar, you can be good at one thing and shitty at another. Like you can't solo for shit but you have great riffs for example. Slash expresses himself perfectly within what he does best: putting together notes to form great melodies, riffs, and solos. Again, not the same thing as doing what Izzy did for example, or Axl.

Edited by Rovim

His overall playing now is nowhere near as good as it used to be or he would be cranking out timeless classics like he used to instead of generic rock like he is.

One has not much to do with the other, and certainly not in this case. Apples and oranges and all of that.

Comparing Slash to Slash is apples to oranges? Slash's guitar work in Guns would be considered classic no matter what people he had around him. Quite obviously that's not the case with the songs he's producing today, nor would it be if these songs were released back then. Obviously then, the only logical conclusion one can come to is that Slash's playing was better when he was in GN'R. Nobody on earth gives a rats ass about technicality or Slash wouldn't be considered a legend for anything he's ever done.

Edited by Damn_Smooth

He must have a very hard time reading the audience these days.

Why?

he is sober now, so he doesn't fuck up that much like in the old days (yes he can play better improvised solos back then, but overall his playing is better than ever now)

I know you don't like any of his stuff outside Guns, but i really don't see what you're referring to

What?

what part of my post are not understandable?

or you just escape from your another trolling attempt?

Old, wrinkly Dad rockers. Always the same

says the guy with an 1980 Iron Maiden avatar?

Old, wrinkly Dad rockers. Always the same.

All rock is Dad Rock.

and all hip hop and rap is only for the scum of the earth :lol:

see how it goes little limey bro?

If you had the ability to see beyond the massive penis sprouting out of the centre of your forehead you might've realised i was actually on your side here but nevermind :lol:

noope, we are not on the same page on this one

Riffs and melodies are songwriting as well. Yes, he needs the contributions of Izzy and Axl in some way, but to say he isn't a songwriter is bullshit. On each of his solo albums he has written some classic tunes that are high anticipated on his life shows

He said he's not a songwriter. I happen to agree. What he does best is not writing classic songs. It is not the same as writing amazing riffs and mind blowing solos. It requires different things from a musician.

Even within what you do with an electric guitar, you can be good at one thing and shitty at another. Like you can't solo for shit but you have great riffs for example. Slash expresses himself perfectly within what he does best: putting together notes to form great melodies, riffs, and solos. Again, not the same thing as doing what Izzy did for example, or Axl.

I try it this way:

Take any of the Guns' classics.

Most of them are composed of Axl's or/and Izzy's vocals, Slash's or/and Izzy's riffs, Izzy's accords and Slash's solos.

All of them did come up with some melodies.

Too me thats all some kind of songwriting. I'm not saying that Slash is as talented as Izzy in fixing a song, or writes lyrics like Axl does, but he is contributing parts to the songs that are as important as the contributions of Axl and Izzy.

That was the band's formular and without each other's contribution they didn't managed to create tunes like in their heydays quality wise. They released songs with the potential to be classic guns tunes, like Sweet Caress, Better, TWAT, Anastasia, Slither, FTP... all great tunes... but again, all of them lack something and that's the contribution of the other two members.

So to me they are all songwriters with different strong points

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

His overall playing now is nowhere near as good as it used to be or he would be cranking out timeless classics like he used to instead of generic rock like he is.

One has not much to do with the other, and certainly not in this case. Apples and oranges and all of that.

Comparing Slash to Slash is apples to oranges? Slash's guitar work in Guns would be considered classic no matter what people he had around him. Quite obviously that's not the case with the songs he's producing today, nor would it be if these songs were released back then. Obviously then, the only logical conclusion one can come to is that Slash's playing was better when he was in GN'R. Nobody on earth gives a rats ass about technicality or Slash wouldn't be considered a legend for anything he's ever done.

Rubbish. 'Classic' is just a barometer of populism. Even some of Slash's best Guns N' Roses work is not considered, 'classic' - case in point, Locomotive. There is no doubt that Slash is producing solos and riffs today, every bit as good as the ones he wrote for Guns.

Rubbish. 'Classic' is just a barometer of populism. Even some of Slash's best Guns N' Roses work is not considered, 'classic' - case in point, Locomotive. There is no doubt that Slash is producing solos and riffs today, every bit as good as the ones he wrote for Guns.

Your opinion is what's rubbish. Slash's solos today are nothing compared to what they used to be.

Your opinion is what's rubbish. Slash's solos today are nothing compared to what they used to be.

Subjectivity and subjectivity which I disagree with. Anastasia, Safari Inn and Wicked Stone would easily grace a, 'top ten Slash solos' list, by me, any day of the week.

Subjectivity and subjectivity which I disagree with. Anastasia, Safari Inn and Wicked Stone would easily grace a, 'top ten Slash solos' list, by me, any day of the week.

I'll give you Anastasia coming in at #10 and agree to disagree on the other 2.

Use Your Illusion contains some classic shit though. Slash didn't even like November Rain and Estranged and struck gold. That kind of quality can not just be achieved by experience or talent. Slash was inspired as shit thanks to the rest of the old Guns line up. He was also high as a maofaka. He was in his prime and still hungry as a musician.

So I agree in a way bro, but if you JUST get your hands on some Myles free World On Fire instrumentals you will hear some fine guitar playing and Wicked Stone's first solo sounds fuckin' mean. At least first 15 seconds of it. There are still moments of great guitar playing imo.

Edited by Rovim

Use Your Illusion contains some classic shit though. Slash didn't even like November Rain and Estranged and struck gold. That kind of quality can not just be achieved by experience or talent. Slash was inspired as shit thanks to the rest of the old Guns line up. He was also high as a maofaka. He was in his prime and still hungry as a musician.

So I agree in a way bro, but if you JUST get your hands on some Myles free World On Fire instrumentals you will hear some fine guitar playing and Wicked Stone's first solo sounds fuckin' mean. At least first 15 seconds of it. There are still moments of great guitar playing imo.

I think it's just a rumor that Slash doesn't like NR and Estranged. He even worked hard on them. He doesn't like the videos, especially that one of Estranged but I think he is very proud of both of the songs.

To his solo stuff: I like the outro solo of Wicked Stone much more than the first one. But there are other really great solos on WOF like that one from Too Far Gone, Shadow Life or BTSS.

Edited by Free Bird

^^^

It's not just a rumor. Axl ranted about it in one of his 2002 shows saying how Slash and Duff were like "no, ain't gonna work on those 2 songs fuck that."

Yeah, I love the outro as well.

I know the Axl rant. Axl had always an exclusive point of view... maybe Duff and Slash had to fight for their songs and this was an opportunity?

But I know. Everybody's out there to get Axl ;)

^^^

It's not just a rumor. Axl ranted about it in one of his 2002 shows saying how Slash and Duff were like "no, ain't gonna work on those 2 songs fuck that."

I know the Axl rant. Axl had always an exclusive point of view... maybe Duff and Slash had to fight for their songs and this was an opportunity?

But I know. Everybody's out there to get Axl ;)

What do you know? honestly, I believe Slash and Duff weren't into it. At least then, they were not into weeping. I don't blame them for not seeing it. Bit musically short sighted but whatever.

I'm glad Axl insisted though. Both of them came up with killer shit for November Rain and Estranged.

Btw, Axl never struck me as a liar. I don't know where this "Axl is a liar" thing comes from.

He said a trilogy of albums, but maybe he really did believe it was going to happen and his insanity and insecure as shit nature and child-like tantrum throwing self were in the way of actually following through with it.

Edited by Rovim

I didn't say Axl is a lier.I said he has an exclusive point of view. I don't believe all things Axl says are true but I believe all things he says are "his truth".

You know the history of this band. Nothing's Axls fault. It's always someone else's ;).

You could be right, but I don't believe Slash and Duff didn't like Estranged and November Rain. But I do believe they didn't want to have much more of that songs.

Edited by Free Bird

Axl got caught out lying the other day on this forum. He said Stradlin's guitar was turned down in 1993 because he was stoned (Izzy had been sober for two years). Axl lied about the Snakepit thing also. He said, Slash insisted on singing these lyrics however the lyrics were penned much later by Dover! There was actually no lyrics in place.

• Like 2

Axl got caught out lying the other day on this forum. He said Stradlin's guitar was turned down in 1993 because he was stoned (Izzy had been sober for two years). Axl lied about the Snakepit thing also. He said, Slash insisted on singing these lyrics however the lyrics were penned much later by Dover! There was actually no lyrics in place.

Axl likes to dream up big concepts and sometimes he did not choose his words carefully and talked about his wild artistic plans. Shit happens, especially in Gn'R land. Doesn't mean the man lied about it.

We have Chinese, and we'll probably get to hear CD ll when it's released in a few years, maybe less. So we get like 30 songs out of it at least.

Axl lied about the Snakepit thing also. He said, Slash insisted on singing these lyrics however the lyrics were penned much later by Dover! There was actually no lyrics in place.

In fact that is one of the funniest storys some people here believe. It doesn't make any sense.

By the way, if it really was the case that Slash said no changes to Axl, it wouldn't make sense that Axl suddenly want to work on some of these songs again later.

Edited by Free Bird

^^^

Tip. Axl lies.

I don't know if he lies, or if he just rewrites history in his head. Both are as possible as what he said happened.

^^^

Tip. Axl lies.

I don't know if he lies, or if he just rewrites history in his head. Both are as possible as what he said happened.

To be fair, we have no reason to believe it didn't happen the way Axl said it did in this case. November Rain and Estranged are not what Slash and Duff were typically into back then.

^^^

Tip. Axl lies.

To be fair, we have no reason to believe it didn't happen the way Axl said it did in this case. November Rain and Estranged are not what Slash and Duff were typically into back then.

Well the songs are existing and they're including some greatfull work not only by Axl, so I have a reason to believe it didn't happen the way like Axl expressed it Edited by Free Bird