The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

Probably the most important fight since May Pac, Andre Ward vs Sergey Kovalev, to unify at light heavy and possibly determine who is pound for pound best in the sport, both men 30 fights undefeated, both men titlists, Kovalev having cleared up his division and Ward coming up from super middle having cleared up his.

Did anyone else score Kovalev/Ward 114-113 for Ward, the same as the official decision? I did. I have no idea why people are screaming robbery, it was one of the closest fights I've ever seen but I think the decision was fair.

I gave Kovalev rounds 1, 2, 4, 6 and 10. Ward won the others quite clearly if you actually watch the fight.

Edited by AlexC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexC said:

Did anyone else score Kovalev/Ward 114-113 for Ward, the same as the official decision? I did. I have no idea why people are screaming robbery, it was one of the closest fights I've ever seen but I think the decision was fair.

I gave Kovalev rounds 1, 2, 4, 6 and 10. Ward won the others quite clearly if you actually watch the fight.

I absolutely 100% agree with you, 1st round was anyones, 2nd was Kova, 6th and 10th was Kova, rest was Ward, he was timing him, though Kova nullified his inside work quite well Ward still got some decent shots off inside, not to mention the bodywork, he was catching him with lead rights, check hooks...that ducking low and bull-rushing shit was kinda dirty but it was smart tactical dirty, Ward got the job done in my eyes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I absolutely 100% agree with you, 1st round was anyones, 2nd was Kova, 6th and 10th was Kova, rest was Ward, he was timing him, though Kova nullified his inside work quite well Ward still got some decent shots off inside, not to mention the bodywork, he was catching him with lead rights, check hooks...that ducking low and bull-rushing shit was kinda dirty but it was smart tactical dirty, Ward got the job done in my eyes.

Yeah that's how I saw it. It definitely deserves a rematch though, not only because it was so close but it was a compelling and highly competitive fight. I was convinced Ward would win fairly easily and I was shocked by how it played out. I wouldn't be surprised if Sergey is favoured to win the rematch.

6 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Yeah that's how I saw it. It definitely deserves a rematch though, not only because it was so close but it was a compelling and highly competitive fight. I was convinced Ward would win fairly easily and I was shocked by how it played out. I wouldn't be surprised if Sergey is favoured to win the rematch.

Yeah, after the Chilemba fight i thought Kova was there to be outboxed..and i wont lie to ya, I'm a Ward fan more than a Kova fan, i always tend to side with the highly skilled black American guy :lol:  They're just historically the boxers I've liked, all prior I'd been predicting a boxing clinic by Ward, by the third round i was thinking shit, SOG aint gonna make it...but he pulled it out the bag.  Suffice to say i heavily underrated Kova and slightly overrated Ward, he aint no Pretty Boy Floyd.

You dont just score this shit on aggressiveness, its effective aggressiveness.

Edited by Len Cnut

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Yeah, after the Chilemba fight i thought Kova was there to be outboxed..and i wont lie to ya, I'm a Ward fan more than a Kova fan, i always tend to side with the highly skilled black American guy :lol:  They're just historically the boxers I've liked, all prior I'd been predicting a boxing clinic by Ward, by the third round i was thinking shit, SOG aint gonna make it...but he pulled it out the bag.  Suffice to say i heavily underrated Kova and slightly overrated Ward, he aint no Pretty Boy Floyd.

I don't think we'll see another Floyd for a long time, guys like Rigondeaux and Chocolatito equal or maybe even exceed him skillwise but they'll never be massive ppv stars and become mainstream icons like him and Manny did.

I don't think Ward will ever reach that level of fame either tbh. They're marketing Canelo as the face of boxing and he was embarrassed by Mayweather.

Terence Crawford seems the most likely candidate to replace him imo or possibly Lomachenko but even they don't have superhuman abilities like Mayweather and Pacquiao seemed to have.

24 minutes ago, AlexC said:

I don't think we'll see another Floyd for a long time, guys like Rigondeaux and Chocolatito equal or maybe even exceed him skillwise but they'll never be massive ppv stars and become mainstream icons like him and Manny did.

I don't think Ward will ever reach that level of fame either tbh. They're marketing Canelo as the face of boxing and he was embarrassed by Mayweather.

Terence Crawford seems the most likely candidate to replace him imo or possibly Lomachenko but even they don't have superhuman abilities like Mayweather and Pacquiao seemed to have.

To be honest Floyd was never an icon, he was just a mouthy bastard who figured being mouthy was the way to get acclaim, he dont have no fanbase or anything, he kinda wore fans down by just always being there.  But none of that matters shit to me, i jus wanna see the fights and he gave me many years of good entertainment so i cant hate on him.

I like Crawford, I like Spence, Thurman has certain clear faults but he gets the job done and hes entertaining and articulate with it so hes someone else I'd like to see do well.

Who do you fancy for Garcia v Thurman?  I love Rigo, as a boxing purist hes a joy to watch but he'll never make big numbers.  Yeah, i dont see Ward being a big noise either.  Or as big anyway.  Canelos got his mexican fanbase and he gets the job done but as you say Floyd played with him.

Edited by Len Cnut

7 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

To be honest Floyd was never an icon, he was just a mouthy bastard who figured being mouthy was the way to get acclaim, he dont have no fanbase or anything, he kinda wore fans down by just always being there.  But none of that matters shit to me, i jus wanna see the fights and he gave me many years of good entertainment so i cant hate on him.

I like Crawford, I like Spence, Thurman has certain clear faults but he gets the job done and hes entertaining and articulate with it so hes someone else I'd like to see do well.

Who do you fancy for Garcia v Thurman?

Also Floyd was around in a great era and during the last 8 years of his career he beat more hall of famers than pretty much anyone in the history of the sport and he made it look easy. But yeah, his whole "Money Mayweather" act paid dividends. Even if it made him unpopular to the general public.

Garcia vs. Thurman is a really good matchup and difficult to predict, but I think maybe Garcia edges it ever so slightly. He's the better all around boxer, is quicker with his hands and feet and has enough power to make Keith think twice about just rushing in and attacking him.

That being said, Keith Thurman is one hell of a puncher and he has decent skills, so if he's patient and cuts the ring off effectively I could easily see him winning.

So I'm picking Danny Garcia but I'm not confident at all.

25 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Also Floyd was around in a great era and during the last 8 years of his career he beat more hall of famers than pretty much anyone in the history of the sport and he made it look easy. But yeah, his whole "Money Mayweather" act paid dividends. Even if it made him unpopular to the general public.

Garcia vs. Thurman is a really good matchup and difficult to predict, but I think maybe Garcia edges it ever so slightly. He's the better all around boxer, is quicker with his hands and feet and has enough power to make Keith think twice about just rushing in and attacking him.

That being said, Keith Thurman is one hell of a puncher and he has decent skills, so if he's patient and cuts the ring off effectively I could easily see him winning.

So I'm picking Danny Garcia but I'm not confident at all.

You think Danny quicker with his hands and feet, really?

15 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

You think Danny quicker with his hands and feet, really?

Yeah by a fair bit, his overhand is snappy as fuck, plus he gets in position to punch super quick, like he's really good at getting in and out of punching range by using little steps and pivots. But even with all that, Thurman still might end him. 

15 hours ago, AlexC said:

Yeah by a fair bit, his overhand is snappy as fuck, plus he gets in position to punch super quick, like he's really good at getting in and out of punching range by using little steps and pivots. But even with all that, Thurman still might end him. 

I've always thought the opposite of Danny, he does everything well but nothing exceptionally, hes an example of how far you can get on solid fundamentals but I've never considered him to be fast exactly, he telegraphs shots quite clearly and hes always looked to me to be there to be out-boxed, as Petersen, Herrera and Khan proved...well, Khan proved for four rounds til he got splattered :lol:

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I've always thought the opposite of Danny, he does everything well but nothing exceptionally, hes an example of how far you can get on solid fundamentals but I've never considered him to be fast exactly, he telegraphs shots quite clearly and hes always looked to me to be there to be out-boxed, as Petersen, Herrera and Khan proved...well, Khan proved for four rounds til he got splattered :lol:

Khan is a joke.

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

A funny one tho! :lol:  

It's his own fault. He must know he has a weak chin, but whenever he gets rocked he tries to fight back in a panicked frenzy like a fucking retard and then he just gets ruined.

It's like when Canelo started making Khan miss after a few rounds. Khan got over anxious and started throwing stupid, overly telegraphed right hands, got timed and countered and then boom. Gone.

Hilarious.

13 minutes ago, AlexC said:

It's his own fault. He must know he has a weak chin, but whenever he gets rocked he tries to fight back in a panicked frenzy like a fucking retard and then he just gets ruined.

It's like when Canelo started making Khan miss after a few rounds. Khan got over anxious and started throwing stupid, overly telegraphed right hands, got timed and countered and then boom. Gone.

Hilarious.

He doesnt have a boxers temperment or a good boxing brain.  

Did a great mannequin challenge against Canelo though! :D

• Like 1

:lol:

some good fights on tonight, very good in fact:

Tommy Langford v Sam Sheedy for the British middleweight title

Terry Flanagan vs Orlando Cruz, first openly gay fighter in boxing (a lot has been made of this for some reason) fighting for a world title

and later tonight, the big one, Lomachenko vs Walters, which should be an absolute cracker, spoilt for good fights last couple of weeks :)