The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

11 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

In some leisure centre isn't it? I saw the weigh in it looked shabby as fuck. He was shoehorned onto the card wasn't he? 

Yeah was meant to be last week...n prior to that he got injured so hes ended up in a swimming pool complex in Paisley.

16 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

I hope that he gives him a bumming, because Saunders is a cunt.

The Russian won it by a round to my reckoning, got skanked, Bill took the mic and apologised to the crowd saying he stunk the place out and shouldnt have the nuts to mention GGG based on that performance.

29 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Your other favourite person Tyson Fury was there too, carrying his belt.

Somewhere a village is crying out for its idiot.

Also, just because we are talking about boxing, and I was just thinking about him, here's my all-time favourite boxing picture:

hwoodpubpic.jpeg

"Tyson Fury? I never heard of the bum!"

1 hour ago, PappyTron said:

Somewhere a village is crying out for its idiot.

Also, just because we are talking about boxing, and I was just thinking about him, here's my all-time favourite boxing picture:

hwoodpubpic.jpeg

"Tyson Fury? I never heard of the bum!"

Isn't it I'll moida da bum? :lol:

22 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

March

Billy Joe Saunders is back tonight, with a predictably soft touch for his first defence.

Just so I know I have missed it having fallen asleep.

I think cricketers could have any boxer. Brian Close there. Muhammad Ali couldn't handle the Windies pace attack. he'd be crying into his koran facing Roberts and Holding etc.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Just so I know I have missed it having fallen asleep.

I think cricketers could have any boxer. Brian Close there. Muhammad Ali couldn't handle the Windies pace attack. he'd be crying into his koran facing Roberts and Holding etc.

Yes, I imagine Mike Tyson has nightmares about Gladstone Small too :lol:

Muhammad Ali ('67) vs. Mike Tyson ('88)

I know it's a topic that's cliche and been done to death but I'm always curious about people's opinions on it, I think you can tell a lot about what type of fan someone is based off of their pick and reasoning.

Discuss.

1 hour ago, AlexC said:

Muhammad Ali ('67) vs. Mike Tyson ('88)

I know it's a topic that's cliche and been done to death but I'm always curious about people's opinions on it, I think you can tell a lot about what type of fan someone is based off of their pick and reasoning.

Discuss.

Ali wipes him out, TKO inside the distance, too fast on his feet, chin of granite,  just popping him with the jab all night, tie him up in close, that left like a piston, Ali handled bigger punchers than Mike, Liston, Shavers, Big George.  Mike Tyson would be easy work for Ali.  Tyson dont have the heart to beat an Ali, as good as Mike was he was pretty one dimensional and he didnt respond well to adversity.  Mike is one of my fav fighters of all time but Ali was Ali, no way Mike could do him, especially 1967 Ali.

Edited by Len Cnut

7 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Ali wipes him out, TKO inside the distance, too fast on his feet, chin of granite,  just popping him with the jab all night, tie him up in close, that left like a piston, Ali handled bigger punchers than Mike, Liston, Shavers, Big George.  Mike Tyson would be easy work for Ali.  Tyson dont have the heart to beat an Ali, as good as Mike was he was pretty one dimensional and he didnt respond well to adversity.  Mike is one of my fav fighters of all time but Ali was Ali, no way Mike could do him, especially 1967 Ali.

Tyson was in no way one dimensional, and he was a much more devastating puncher than George Foreman and Sonny Liston combined, George was a slow, wide open swinging battering ram puncher with absolutely no defense. George was better during his second career. Liston was nothing like Tyson, he was the epitome of one dimensional, just chasing and chasing. Shavers could bang, the end. He was just a puncher. Tyson is a far superior boxer than Ali ever was, he was a master at counterpunching while on the attack. He would slip punches so easily and time evil hooks and combinations so perfectly, I don't care how much heart you have, if they land its lights out. Yes Ali had a great chin, but when it comes to receiving punches from Tyson, especially when you don't see them, it doesn't matter.

Ali's only chance would be to hold and hold. I can't really see his movement and jab doing much after a couple of rounds once Tyson finds his range. I think Ali's legacy distorts his actual ability, yes he was the G.O.A.T. But Tyson ain't no Joe Frazier, he's way too skilled, too fast and too much for Ali.

3 hours ago, PappyTron said:

Mike Tyson never really fought any big names. As for Ali, Jukebox Timebomb, the Zimbabwean boxer, would take him out in the first.

Yes okay. Ali knocks Tyson out in one round. Ali, the guy who has one first round knockout in his entire career and a massively controversial one at that. He couldn't even knock 44 year old Archie Moore out in the first but yeah, he bangs out Tyson in one. That's perfectly plausible.

22 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Yes okay. Ali knocks Tyson out in one round. Ali, the guy who has one first round knockout in his entire career and a massively controversial one at that. He couldn't even knock 44 year old Archie Moore out in the first but yeah, he bangs out Tyson in one. That's perfectly plausible.

I didn't say that Ali would beat Tyson in one round. I said that Jukebox Timebomb would beat Ali in one round.

27 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Tyson was in no way one dimensional, and he was a much more devastating puncher than George Foreman and Sonny Liston combined, George was a slow, wide open swinging battering ram puncher with absolutely no defense. George was better during his second career. Liston was nothing like Tyson, he was the epitome of one dimensional, just chasing and chasing. Shavers could bang, the end. He was just a puncher. Tyson is a far superior boxer than Ali ever was, he was a master at counterpunching while on the attack. He would slip punches so easily and time evil hooks and combinations so perfectly, I don't care how much heart you have, if they land its lights out. Yes Ali had a great chin, but when it comes to receiving punches from Tyson, especially when you don't see them, it doesn't matter.

Ali's only chance would be to hold and hold. I can't really see his movement and jab doing much after a couple of rounds once Tyson finds his range. I think Ali's legacy distorts his actual ability, yes he was the G.O.A.T. But Tyson ain't no Joe Frazier, he's way too skilled, too fast and too much for Ali.

:lol:

Tyson was in no way one dimensional

Being one dimensional doesn't mean to say you are unskilled.  In fact, in a manner of speaking, Ali didn't exactly have a great deal of range in what he did, great footwork, a lethal left jab, did entirely headshots almost...but what he did he did exceptionally and he could dispatch most fighters with just that.  Same with Tyson...but the fact is there is a formula to beat him.  Back off, keep him on the end of the jab, tie him up in close, push him off, don't let him get set, Mike couldn't fight going backwards, Douglas, Holyfield, Lewis, all this guys undid the Tyson riddle.  Not only that but, God i can't remember who it was, was it Razor Ruddock?  He couldn't put Razor Ruddock away on the back of a little movement.  Now don't get me wrong, he soundly beat Ruddock on points but you can see types of styles he fuckin' struggled with man. 

he was a much more devastating puncher than George Foreman and Sonny Liston combined, George was a slow, wide open swinging battering ram puncher with absolutely no defense. George was better during his second career.

I do not agree with this at all.  In fact its broadly disagreed upon throughout boxing.  Tyson was a devastating knockout artist and had great technique and timing but he put his everything into shots and executed them perfectly, right from the hip and the shift of bodyweight...George Foreman was naturally heavy handed, George Foreman could fuckin' tap people over, he had natural fuckin' power, he could put you away with either hand, he starched Michael Moorer on his second go round with a fuckin' light one two, an arm punching one two...and just put him out, put him to bed, blood streaming out of his nose.  Same goes for Liston, the man was fearsome, he clubbed people to fuckin' shit.  Liston is remembered as slow and lumbering etc etc but thats because peoples enduring memory of him is him chasing the fastest heavyweight of all time around the Miami Beach convention centre, Liston could move when he needed to, watch his fight with Cleveland Williams, watch any of his fuckin' fights out there except the Ali ones, the man was terrifying, much more so than Mike Tyson.

Shavers could bang, the end. He was just a puncher.

Right but he was still the hardest punching heavyweight in history...and Ali took a full blooded shot from him on the chin, he took shots from Foreman, he took shots from Liston.  My point is that you make judgements or predictions based on prescedent right?  i.e. a fighter has show a propensity for a certain kind of behaviour in the right circumstances ergo, under the right kind of pressure, he would respond in a particular way, right?  Well then based on that, how can you predict a knockout against Ali?  The man was NEVER knocked out...he was never even down for a three count, what reasonable prescedent is there for Ali getting knocked out by anyone?  There isn't one, it's not a logical or reasonable prediction.

he was a master at counterpunching while on the attack. He would slip punches so easily and time evil hooks and combinations so perfectly, I don't care how much heart you have, if they land its lights out.

Right but he had a distinct pattern, he was there to be out-boxed by a superior level fighter.  Here's Tysons style, chin down, eyes up, peekaboo style, waits for the jab, when the jab comes slip, counter, body, head, body, head head...and you're out of there.  Its literally a routine.  Now its not as easy as just fuckin' typing it out, the man made a precise art of it and timing is key here, you have to counter at the precise point when the opponents jabbing hand is fully out-stretched cuz thats where they're at their most off balance and least well disposed to hold a shot...and Mike did make a fuckin' art out of it...but against a boxer boxer boxer like Ali?  No chance.  It would be light work.

Also, and this pains me to say because Tyson was the fighter of my youth and one of the fighters i rate the highest...but Tyson didn't have no heart.  Tyson could not deal with adversity.  You pose a tricky proposition to Tyson and in the key moments of his life he folded.  He did it against Douglas, he did it against Holyfield, he did it against Lewis, the latter two being key fights of his career.  That guy got caught by clean shots, in his PRIME, by Frank Bruno (fair dues he knocked him the fuck out in the next round but point being he could be touched).  Tyson, at his heart, at his core, is a chain snatcher.  He's a guy with fuckin' mental issues who breaks down crying in interviews, he's a kid that used to get fuckin' bullied and fights from that psychological emotional core.  People like Sonny Liston weren't like that, Sonny Liston had all the fuckin' emotion of a dead trout at the fishmongers, Sonny Liston did not give a fuck, Muhammad Ali, again, all the fuckin' heart, all the fuckin' pride, all the fuckin' guts in the world, he would NEVER give up, why, cuz he had character.  Tyson lacked character.  The same thing that makes you follow susceptible old grannies into lifts to mug them for their pocket books, that same moral turpitude is the same thing that makes fighters like Tyson quit at the 11th hour, it's called lack of character.

There is no logical reasonable basis upon which anyone can claim that Ali would lose to Tyson, you're literally predicting something that never happened and never came close to happening, which is Ali getting knocked out.  Tyson getting out-boxed however happened on a number of occasions.  Now i love Tyson and i love Ali and I look at this question with as much objectivity as I can and I just do not see it, i do not see Tyson beating Ali, short armed, crouching Mike Tyson, trying to get under Ali, and especially prime Ali, it would never happen.  And then all that talking he did...the talking and holding...by the 8th round Tyson would chase him with a fucking stool, Ali was the PERFECT fighter to beat Mike Tyson is every way. 

He couldn't even knock 44 year old Archie Moore out in the first

He predicted Moore in four...and did it in four. 

Edited by Len Cnut