Attack on French satirical magazine who posted jokes about the prophet Mohammed - 12 killed

SoulMonster

It is what it is

It is fine to have free speech, but we are taught as kids to respect people and their cultures.

Where you draw the line, I do not know, but Private Eye and UK satire comics do not descend to the free speech levels of the French. Remember that the French found it ok to take nude photos of British Royal Family.

Boundaries are different in different countries. Rather than fighting with each, maybe it is more about education and learning how to respect other nations and their ways. It is illegal to go train and plane spotting in some countries, that is how odd the world is

Yeah/ try educating the Islamic psychos about respect etc....it won't work. The Mid East has been a shit hole for as long as I can remember. They don't give a fuck. It's all about their made up "God". Whatever his name is. They hate women (that's why they are covered head to toe....can't drive....can't vote....forced marriages). Publicly be heading people......all in name of religion. I wish the rest of world would be more understanding and tolerant of these people! Edited by Snowmass
  • Like 1

The Muslims- such peaceful and tolerable and inclusive people.

If only they could be more like Christians. Oh wait...

No. But you can criticize/make fun of pretty much any other people/religion except Muslim/Islam idiots without worrying about some dumbass and his 98 awaiting virgins to bomb you.

Ever been to Northern Ireland during the Troubles? Just having a Catholic/Protestant name in the wrong neighbourhood was enough to get a bullet in the head.

• Like 1

No. But you can criticize/make fun of pretty much any other people/religion except Muslim/Islam idiots without worrying about some dumbass and his 98 awaiting virgins to bomb you.

Ever been to Northern Ireland during the Troubles? Just having a Catholic/Protestant name in the wrong neighbourhood was enough to get a bullet in the head.

Nope. But in the big picture it's not them that causing worldwide situations.

Maybe they're just playing catch up with Christianity then. Practically every single conflict worldwide since the dawn of time has had a religious context to it. Every major religion has blood on its hands.

They're all fucked in the head. Islam is just the flavour of the day. Don't forget good old Dubya hearing instructions from God either...

Edited by Facekicker
  • Like 1

Bush told Chirac that "Gog and Magog are at work in the Middle East." Blair believed he was on a mission from God in joining Bush in the invasion of Iraq. Iraqis are still suffering today.

But it's OK because, hey, the Middle East is a shithole anyway, right?

Tehran in the '70s:

03.jpg

Why was there a Revolution in '79? The seeds can be traced back to the CIA-orchestrated coup of '53 which saw the democratically-elected Mossadegh thrown out of power when he wished to nationalise Iran's oil industry.

This is Abu Dhabi today:

2.Full-Day-Abu-Dhabi-City-Tour.jpg

Man, looks just like Tatooine, doesn't it? Shame they can't be a poster-child of prosperity and freedom, like Detroit:

detroit.png

Great making sweeping generalisations, isn't it?

• Like 4

Bush told Chirac that "Gog and Magog are at work in the Middle East." Blair believed he was on a mission from God in joining Bush in the invasion of Iraq. Iraqis are still suffering today.

Tehran in the '70s:

03.jpg

Why was there a Revolution in '79? The seeds can be traced back to the CIA-orchestrated coup of '53 which saw the democratically-elected Mossadegh thrown out of power when he wished to nationalise Iran's oil industry.

This is Abu Dhabi today:

Man, looks just like Tatooine, doesn't it? Shame they can't be a poster-child of prosperity and freedom, like Detroit:

detroit.png

best post of the thread. on a side note, not sure why the walking dead or mad max fury road both were filmed outside of detroit.

Edited by bran

Have always liked the Iranians ever since I learned they renamed the street where the British Embassy is to Bobby Sands Street :lol:

Also we had to play Iran in World Cup qualifiers and all the Irish fans that landed in Tehran were collected by cab drivers who brought them to their own homes where they had stockpiled out of date beer and vodka so the lads could have a drink before the game :lol:

• Like 1

Why can "we" make fun of the Pope or any religion and not worry about much but God forbid "we" make fun of Allah or whatever (LOL) and all hell breaks loose? People need to lighten up. It's all a joke. Emphasis on ALL. Seriously - a death threat for a stupid cartoon? Really? Or the Salmon Rushdie guy? Death threats....wow. Nice religion. And just remember - the U.S. is the most hated country in world.

Edited by Snowmass

Salmon Rushdie? Did they ever catch him in the end?

No spunko they didn't and I'm not sure if he's in hiding or whatever. He has made a statement against what happened in France though.

I wonder what his book was about that caused the fatwa on him. He has stood the test of time that's for sure.

Salmon Rushdie? Did they ever catch him in the end?

No spunko they didn't and I'm not sure if he's in hiding or whatever. He has made a statement against what happened in France though.

I wonder what his book was about that caused the fatwa on him. He has stood the test of time that's for sure.

Salman Rushdie came out of hiding years ago. He's actually a guest on the first episode of the new season of Bill Maher's show tonight. I can't wait to see that.

http://youtu.be/PioHDGEt6BM

• Like 1

Why can "we" make fun of the Pope or any religion and not worry about much but God forbid "we" make fun of Allah or whatever (LOL) and all hell breaks loose? People need to lighten up. It's all a joke. Emphasis on ALL. Seriously - a death threat for a stupid cartoon? Really? Or the Salmon Rushdie guy? Death threats....wow. Nice religion. And just remember - the U.S. is the most hated country in world.

Mate, I take the piss out of Islam all the time, have you not seen my posts earlier in the thread.

Yes, you're right, in general Muslims take this shit more seriously and some are fucking psychos who kill people, but like Facekicker said it's exactly the same with certain groups of Catholics, Protestants, etc. Hopefully it'll all be history soon like it mostly is with Christianity today.

Is the US the most hated country in the world? Maybe, in certain ways, but it's also one of the most loved countries in the world. There's kids in the Middle East who love the American Pie movies, Metallica, cheeseburgers, etc. It's the being bombed to Kingdom Come by drones and being played against each other by the West (the US supported Saddam in his war on Iran and supplied him with chemical weapons) that they're not so much a fan of.

Mate, I take the piss out of Islam all the time, have you not seen my posts earlier in the thread.

Yes, you're right, in general Muslims take this shit more seriously and some are fucking psychos who kill people, but like Facekicker said it's exactly the same with certain groups of Catholics, Protestants, etc. Hopefully it'll all be history soon like it mostly is with Christianity today.

Is the US the most hated country in the world? Maybe, in certain ways, but it's also one of the most loved countries in the world. There's kids in the Middle East who love the American Pie movies, Metallica, cheeseburgers, etc. It's the being bombed to Kingdom Come by drones and being played against each other by the West (the US supported Saddam in his war on Iran and supplied him with chemical weapons) that they're not so much a fan of.

the thing is in history there is no shortage of times where christians went and killed hundreds of thousands in the name of god. every religion on this planet has psychos. like i said in another post the vast majority of muslims are peaceful people who go about there day just like the rest of us. when it comes to having a billion followers it only takes a very, very small fraction to get enough people to do some serious damage. these crazy fuckers are cutting off fellow muslims heads and killing them by the thousands because they do not share their fucked up view.

taking a group of psychotics and lumping them in with the millions upon millions of innocent people who peacefully follow this faith is quite absurd. its a bad situation all the way around and there is no real clear way to fix it. lumping all muslims as potential terrorists who are going to blow you up isnt going to help either.

• Like 1

Dramatic police chase going on right now north of Paris involving shoot-outs, car chases and hostages. Two people has been reported to have been killed and 20 wounded.

it kind of reminds me the night of the boston police going after the marathon bombing suspects.

for me bottom line of the story is that terrorists try to impose the rules. they kind of tell you that now it's not up to court, but up to Fatwa to decide which cartoon is acceptable and which isn't, and where is the line between joke and insult. unfortunately, western society is totally unprepared for the challenge... as seen from this thread, some people don't mind being their hostages..

• Like 2

Tehran in the '70s:

03.jpg

This is Abu Dhabi today:

detroit.png

I'll take Motown myself!