Attack on French satirical magazine who posted jokes about the prophet Mohammed - 12 killed

SoulMonster

As I hear mosques have been attacked, shot at and fire bombed throughout the night across France, all over Europe I see Muslims and their friends, barely having the chance to mourn the dead, who are already now grappling with how to respond to the imminent reaction of fear, blame, and hate towards them instigated by the ‪#‎CharlieHebdo‬-attack.

I read stories of young men walking into buses or stores as they are stared at with loathing and contempt, stories of young women at work wearing their hijabs as they are being told by people that they should be ashamed of themselves for wearing it, stories of children being bullied at school because parents or teachers told the children of the class that the bad men in Paris were of the same religion as theirs.

I see a lot of resilient and eloquent responses from young people who are of a generation that grew up with having to respond all their lives to a society that problematizes their presence, having to respond when an act of violence perpetrated by individuals was generalized to their whole ethnic/cultural/religious community, having to respond to the one-sided media narratives that stigmatizes and criminalizes them and having to respond to the corresponding opportunist right-wing backlashes that reduce them to "terrorists" and turn them into scapegoats.

Unfortunately I also see a lot of that kind of hysteria being internalized by some, as society imposes a certain kind of self-blame for the racism and Islamophobia they endure. Fortunately others keep their backs straight, rejecting the routine of having to distantiate from and apologize for acts they didn't commit nor condone, refusing to have to first say sorry for their religion or to have to praise racist satire and say they are also Charlie before they can sympathize with their losses.

We have to be honest with ourselves here, Charlie Hebdo with its "satire" attacked the weak more often than the strong and defended the dominant in the guise of attacking convention. Condemning their murder does not require the embrace of their racism. The ‪#‎JeSuisCharlie‬ hashtag makes unanimity compulsory: i.e. we must all be Charlie, we must all agree, we must all be one. If you are not Charlie, you are not ours, you are alien. That is not a defense of freedom of the press, it's an affirmation of us against them.

Of most of those people I have never seen expressions of a similar angst to the massacre of press and civilians in thousand-fold numbers in far off places where people have brown skin like Iraq, Pakistan or Palestine. As a reminder, twelve journalists were murdered by Israel last summer in Gaza as well. Attacks that were sponsored by the US and UK governments. And it's Western leaders like Cameron, Obama and Hollande who have led the assault on the freedom of press and protest under the guise of the Orwellian 'War on Terror', whose toll of human misery in drone strikes, invasions, torture, and occupations dwarfs the #CharlieHebdo-attack 1.000.000:1.

One tends to forget this world that has been made into one giant battlefield, one that is expanding now also to the streets of Paris, is a result of extreme ignorant hatred, that is motivated by an enormous lust for money and power, founded by a global system that is degrading and abusing human life and putting humanity on a crash course to mass destruction. One tends to forget that those who are the real danger to "civilization" are not the immigrants and minorities, but the politicians and the businessmen who try to profit from this system and its crises. One tends to forget that the majority of those victimized by this system are generally not Charlie, but Ahmed.

So I am not saying I am Charlie. I am Ahmed the 3-year-old Syrian refugee who froze to death because his homeland has been plunged into chaos by power hungry maniacs and foreign meddling. I am Ahmed the 10-year-old Palestinian who was seen as a threat and thus shot in the head and killed by an Israeli soldier. I am Ahmed the 17-year-old French-Algerian that faces daily police harrassment and has a bigger chance of landing in jail than finding a job. I am Ahmed the 35-year-old whose mosque or kebab shop has been bombed or will be bombed by racist extremists. I am Ahmed the 42-year-old police officer whose faith and culture was ridiculed, but died defending Charlie's right to do so. ‪#‎JeSuisAhmed‬

Is it really being bullied into silence though soulmonster? or being sensitive to large minority of your population?

I'd say that death threats and fire-bombs are in the field of bullying. But yes, one can easily say that they shouldn't have published offensive satire and thus offended a large minority of muslims. Other will say it is important to be critical of religion, even to the point of risking to offend, and that the freedom to express oneself is more important than the freedom to not be offended by words.

Its a tough one.

No it's not.
Besides there is always court to fight it out. Nobody should give in to violence.

Then you have people say on the internet: they took the risk themselves and all that. They did, but that's already the point. Why was writing a cartoon considered a risk even? In our western society, we are able to take the piss out of everything. If you don't like it or feel hurt, don't read it. If you feel offended, go to court. But don't go and shoot twelve people. I have no understanding for that and nobody should. If I offend you with satire, you have no right to kill me. Not in our society that is and there isn't much more to say about it.

I assume we all agree with that the killing was horrible and shouldn't have happened. I don't even understand what there to discuss or what this discussion really is about. :shrugs:

the killing should never have happened.

but you have 7.5% of your population to think about, and thier views and faith to consider, regardless of whether or not you agree with it

Associated Press is one of many press bureaus that has chosen to not show the satirical cartoons from Charlie Hebdo, by cropping and blurring pictures or through just textually explaining them. This is their choice to make and I respect their concern about not offending many of their readers. It may not be in their mission to be edgy and criticial. Fine. Personally, I would preferred it if they had been willing to be more offensive, but again, it is their choice to make and I understand it. They also removed the satirical cartoons from their database of graphics, promptly spurring the conservative magazine The Washington Examiner to demand that they also remove any pictures that might be offensive to other religions, in particular Christianity. Not believing in making an exception for muslims, --although one might argue that other religions aren't as sensitive towards art that criticises their beliefs -- AP did as requested. So now images that are critical and offensive to any large religion is purportely removed from AP's important graphics database.

If you don't really believe in the power of criticism through satire nor of the importance of being critical towards religions and basically everything else we humans do and think, then I guess this is all fine, but I think it is a another sad outcome of the massacre in Paris.

I remember watching some TV show a few years back that interviewed various Americans and their views on Iran - the usual mix of "they hate us for our freedoms, bomb bomb Iran etc" - then they interviewed Iranian students on a campus in Tehran - they were all wearing Calvin Klein hoodies, listening to iPods, and were quite vocal in their condemnation of the regime there. You could be forgiven for thinking they were American students.

Not that any American news network would portray them like that when the drums of war are sounding.

Associated Press is one of many press bureaus that has chosen to not show the satirical cartoons from Charlie Hebdo, by cropping and blurring pictures or through just textually explaining them. This is their choice to make and I respect their concern about not offending many of their readers. It may not be in their mission to be edgy and criticial. Fine. Personally, I would preferred it if they had been willing to be more offensive, but again, it is their choice to make and I understand it. They also removed the satirical cartoons from their database of graphics, promptly spurring the conservative magazine The Washington Examiner to demand that they also remove any pictures that might be offensive to other religions, in particular Christianity. Not believing in making an exception for muslims, --although one might argue that other religions aren't as sensitive towards art that criticises their beliefs -- AP did as requested. So now images that are critical and offensive to any large religion is purportely removed from AP's important graphics database.

If you don't really believe in the power of criticism through satire nor of the importance of being critical towards religions and basically everything else we humans do and think, then I guess this is all fine, but I think it is a another sad outcome of the massacre in Paris.

I think it is a sensible thing to do, its a real tense time and emotions are running high. I have no issue with these cartoons being published but lets not be inflammatory at this moment in time.

The terrorists have claimed they want to die as martyrs. Yeah right. What they did have zero support from any of the larger or demograhically relevant religions. They are scorned and despised by all but an insignificant few. They represent nothing but a small minority of similarly confused crazies. They won't die as martyrs but go down in history as murderous lunatics who killed when confronted with mockery.

I think it is a sensible thing to do, its a real tense time and emotions are running high. I have no issue with these cartoons being published but lets not be inflammatory at this moment in time.

Is is really a tense time? During the Mohammad caricatures in 2006 it really was a tense time with huge protests in Arab countries, storming of embassies, etc.

On the contrary, I would say that now is the time to show that the terrorist haven't won anything, that they gained nothing through the murdering of journalists and cartoonists, by publishing the cartoons over and over. Would that result in a tense time? Perhaps. Would it be worth it? I think so.

Five hostages in the Jewish grocery store in Paris, apparently. They say shots have been fired and one person wounded.

IS is said to be behind the attacks in Paris and allegedly announced more terrorist attacks in Europe and the US.

EDIT: AFP says two died in the grocery store.

Edited by Lio

I hope to see the good Muslims protesting against these terror groups around the world. A hashtag campaign is not enough...

Will they be allowed to wear their burqas at said protest in defence of freedom of expression?

01e0c416-977a-11e4-9b12-a686e0a8e10b_ori

Apparently they are. I know it's not a burqa, but anyway.

As far as I can see, everyone is condemning the terror attacks, except for IS and Al Qaida, that is :shrugs: Many people are also stressing the danger in polarizing. I think that's vital too. Terrorists want polarization. Let's try our best not to give them what they want.

I hope to see the good Muslims protesting against these terror groups around the world. A hashtag campaign is not enough...

Will they be allowed to wear their burqas at said protest in defence of freedom of expression?

As far as I can see, everyone is condemning the terror attacks, except for IS and Al Qaida, that is :shrugs: Many people are also stressing the danger in polarizing. I think that's vital too. Terrorists want polarization. Let's try our best not to give them what they want.

That's great! Which city is that in? No one is protesting here in Toronto. There are over a billion Muslims around the world so hopefully they stand up soon!

Its never been up to the terrorists, they dont pass the laws in France nor does any man dictate my responses to me, i call what i see and what i see is 'hey, stand with us in condemnation of this attack on our national character and identity and way of life...oh yeah, leave your identity at the door though ok?'

That's great! Which city is that in? No one is protesting here in Toronto. There are over a billion Muslims around the world so hopefully they stand up soon!

Rotterdam, according to the paper. We have demonstrations here in Belgium too, in most big cities.

Local representatives of the three major religions (Catholic, Jews, Muslims) have convened to condemn the attacks as well.

Its never been up to the terrorists, they dont pass the laws in France nor does any man dictate my responses to me, i call what i see and what i see is 'hey, stand with us in condemnation of this attack on our national character and identity and way of life...oh yeah, leave your identity at the door though ok?'

Lenny, I have the impression that muslims condemn the attacks on 'our national character' out of their own free will. No one has to tell them they have to condemn the attacks. They do so themselves. I know there's people saying: Moderate muslims, let yourselves be heard. Personally, I don't really think that's necessary, at least not in their identity as a muslim, they can protest and condemn the attacks as sane people, like 99% of the population. I know I'm not good at expressing myself, but I just mean that if they condemn the attacks, as they do, it should be because they're human beings, not because they're muslims.

Having said that, maybe it is a good thing that they are openly condemning the attacks, as perhaps now people will understand that not every muslim is a terrorist and the overwhelming majority just wants peace.

Lenny, I have the impression that muslims condemn the attacks on 'our national character' out of their own free will. No one has to tell them they have to condemn the attacks. They do so themselves. I know there's people saying: Moderate muslims, let yourselves be heard. Personally, I don't really think that's necessary, at least not in their identity as a muslim, they can protest and condemn the attacks as sane people, like 99% of the population. I know I'm not good at expressing myself, but I just mean that if they condemn the attacks, as they do, it should be because they're human beings, not because they're muslims.

Having said that, maybe it is a good thing that they are openly condemning the attacks, as perhaps now people will understand that not every muslim is a terrorist and the overwhelming majority just wants peace.

Yes, I somehow doubt that western muslims would support these attacks, especially moderate muslims who know better. The only support you'll find is in the fundamental and radical islam countries where mocking islam can get you beheaded.

The guy who has taken hostages in the Jewish super market in Paris is a known associate of the Charlie Hebdo assassins and is reportedly demanding the release and safe exit of the two shooters who have taken a hostage themselves.