How would you feel if Axl announced retirement?

Retiring might be a very interesting option.

People can always come back from retirement.

And rock stars do that a lot these days.

I have mentioned before that I think Axl is a very intelligent and clever man, so I am pretty sure he wouldnt make the same mistake twice.

(i.e. hiring a band of top professional skilled musicians a.k.a. very well paid yes-men that can`t write a good song to save their lives).

So retirement looks good for now.

Anything that Axl can do in order to get rid of these ~extremely skilled and very professional musicians~ that he has surrounded himself with can only be a good thing.

It may turn into something...

Retirement > No more skilled musicians around > Comeback thoughts > Phone calls > Reunion > "Wow I just wrote a great song with Izzy in ten minutes, its so fuckin easy!" > New album > "Wow Slash still can write killer melodies" > Biggest comeback tour ever > Keith Richards says "the world missed these guys" > "Wow, Duff, you and Steven are solid as fuck!" > Small selected club shows in New York, LA, Paris, Rio, London, Berlin, Tokyo and Sidney > Axl is 4 hours late for the Rio show... No one cares because everybody is so excited to see GNR again after 25 years > "Wow, these people really like us"

Retiring might be a very interesting option.

People can always come back from retirement.

And rock stars do that a lot these days.

I have mentioned before that I think Axl is a very intelligent and clever man, so I am pretty sure he wouldnt make the same mistake twice.

(i.e. hiring a band of top professional skilled musicians a.k.a. very well paid yes-men that can`t write a good song to save their lives).

So retirement looks good for now.

Anything that Axl can do in order to get rid of these ~extremely skilled and very professional musicians~ that he has surrounded himself with can only be a good thing.

It may turn into something...

Retirement > No more skilled musicians around > Comeback thoughts > Phone calls > Reunion > "Wow I just wrote a great song with Izzy in ten minutes, its so fuckin easy!" > New album > "Wow Slash still can write killer melodies" > Biggest comeback tour ever > Keith Richards says "the world missed these guys" > "Wow, Duff, you and Steven are solid as fuck!" > Small selected club shows in New York, LA, Paris, Rio, London, Berlin, Tokyo and Sidney > Axl is 4 hours late for the Rio show... No one cares because everybody is so excited to see GNR again after 25 years > "Wow, these people really like us"

The best part of there never being a reunion is the fact that people like you will be disappointed.

My reaction would be "I get it. Thanks for the memories."

I was just about to expand upon my original post in here when I saw this. I think this sums up how I would actually feel.

I've made no secret that I think Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson & Axl Rose are the most talented entertainers to ever walk a stage. Elvis & MJ ended up leaving us far too early for reasons that were related to over doing it. Axl has out lived both of them which is great, but I wouldn't want him to put himself through too much just to maintain a certain level. So if he just called it quits, I'd be bummed but I would get it.

I'd say "you're about 10 years too late." He should have stopped touring after the 06/07 tour, quietly released Chinese Democracy (which is what he did anyway) and fade away into the ether. Until he does something that furthers his version of GNR or himself, I don't see why he should have really continued past 2006. Its only made him look worse, but of course thats just my opinion.

"Thanks for everything! Too bad we didn't get more, though"

Seriously, I have had great memories on here, seeing him with the current band, and with other things. I would like another album or two, but retirement at this point wouldn't be super shocking or the end of the world

Yeah but the Stones actually release albums of new music every few years, Axl has managed to put out ONE studio album of "new" material in what, 21 years?...and it's been 6 years since that came out.

Most of these people who puzzle you so wouldn't have that attitude if Axl put out some new music.

No, I think they'd still find something to complain about.

The Stones since 1994 have released exactly two albums.

Axl has released one. So, all he has to do is release one and he'll be on par with the Stones level of output.

• Like 1

Yeah but the Stones actually release albums of new music every few years, Axl has managed to put out ONE studio album of "new" material in what, 21 years?...and it's been 6 years since that came out.

Most of these people who puzzle you so wouldn't have that attitude if Axl put out some new music.

Axl has released one. So, all he has to do is release one and he'll be on par with the Stones level of output.

I tend to agree with this. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If he put out a new album it wouldn't be to everyone's liking. If he didn't put out a new album people would continue to be upset about that. If he reunited with the AfD/Illusions lineup (and I tend to think it would be the Illusions one because they'd probably work with Matt over Steven for numerous reasons) there would be complaints that it's a nostalgia cash grab and they're trying to capitalize on the old times - and then there would be more complaints about how, mysteriously, it's just not the same as it was 25 years ago. And if he continues to tour or work with NuGuns, of course there will be complaints about that.

All of which is why, IMHO, the guy should just do what makes HIM happy and say to hell with anyone else's opinions on it, whatever that might be; be it Vegas, Nu Guns, old Guns, learning to tap dance in Broadway musicals, whatever.

Edited by stella

I tend to agree with this. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If he put out a new album it wouldn't be to everyone's liking. If he didn't put out a new album people would continue to be upset about that. If he reunited with the AfD/Illusions lineup (and I tend to think it would be the Illusions one because they'd probably work with Matt over Steven for numerous reasons) there would be complaints that it's a nostalgia cash grab and they're trying to capitalize on the old times - and then there would be more complaints about how, mysteriously, it's just not the same as it was 25 years ago. And if he continues to tour or work with NuGuns, of course there will be complaints about that.

All of which is why, IMHO, the guy should just do what makes HIM happy and say to hell with anyone else's opinions on it, whatever that might be; be it Vegas, Nu Guns, old Guns, learning to tap dance in Broadway musicals, whatever.

Amen. No matter what he does, his "fans" will crucify him.

He just put out a live DVD and did a string of tours. For most groups that'd be totally fine. For some here, putting out a live dvd and touring is a cardinal sin and he must retire.

Since 1994, The Stones have released 2 studio albums.

They've also re-released Exile and Some Girls, each coming with a bonus disc of a full albums worth of songs that were never released.

They've also released 15 live albums, some that included new studio songs or songs performed live that aren't on any studio album

They've also released 3 collections....all of which contained either new songs or unreleased songs...

They've also released 5 box sets.

They released a live concert film directed by Martin Scorsese

They've released 15 dvds

They've released 18 music videos

So yeah, 1 more album from Axl and he'll be right there with them....

Edited by Sixes
  • Like 2

They've also re-released Exile and Some Girls, each coming with a bonus disc of a full albums worth of songs that were never released.

They've also released 15 live albums.

They've also released 3 collections....all of which contained either new songs or unreleased songs...

They've released 15 dvds

Oh and the 25 or so studio albums prior to that.
  • Like 1

They've also released 15 live albums.

They've released 15 dvds

We have every unreleased song from the old era on bootleg.

We have the UYI era band and a collection of the original band's videos.

Also, have to compare

The Stones have had 50 years and were prolific even when they began. In their first 6 years (1963-1969), they put out ten records, two compilations, two live albums and one documentary.

Guns in their first six years (1985-1991) put out 3 full studio albums and two EPs.

But, since Axl can't match the Stones' level of productivity, he must retire, thereby robbing the fans who actually appreciate him nowadays of a chance of ever seeing him live again. Because you guys aren't happy with the status quo.

Oh right, I forgot about some of the documentaries the Stones have released since 1994...so that's more output that they've got on Axl in their golden years and old age....

also, in the years since 1994...

Mick formed a group, SuperHeavy and released an album with them

he also released an old album he did with Ry Cooder, Watts, Wyman and Nicky Hopkins

he also released a studio album

he released a compilation that included unreleased songs

he collaborated on a soundtrack

he acted in 5 movies

he produced 1 movie

he released a single with will.i.am and jennifer lopez

he released a few music videos

Keith...

has appeared on over 25 different albums

released 2 albums with his band Wingless Angels

was in 2 movies

wrote and released his autobiography

released a Winos compilation

Woody...

released 2 studio albums

released 3 live albums

released 1 compilation album

guested on numerous albums

Charlie...

released 5 albums

• Like 1

When you're on the decline with no chance to redeem your career, WTF is the point of beating this dead horse? Money? He could sit on his ass for the rest of his life and never sweat it.

Yeah, let's get rid of all the interesting rock bands like Aerosmith and Metallica and GN'R because they're on the 'decline of their career'

God, I hope he doesn't retire. I'd like to see them again :(

Oh right, I forgot about some of the documentaries the Stones have released since 1994...so that's more output that they've got on Axl in their golden years and old age....

also, in the years since 1994...

Mick formed a group, SuperHeavy and released an album with them

he also released an old album he did with Ry Cooder, Watts, Wyman and Nicky Hopkins

he also released a studio album

he released a compilation that included unreleased songs

he collaborated on a soundtrack

he acted in 5 movies

he produced 1 movie

he released a single with will.i.am and jennifer lopez

he released a few music videos

Keith...

has appeared on over 25 different albums

released 2 albums with his band Wingless Angels

was in 2 movies

released a Winos compilation

Woody...

released 2 studio albums

released 3 live albums

released 1 compilation album

guested on numerous albums

Charlie...

released 5 albums

You're ignoring the fact that compared to 99% of most bands ever, Guns N' Roses were never (even in the '80s-'90s) productive or prolific by any standard.

This is a band that took 4 years to release a second full album. Back in their heyday. With Slash, Izzy and Duff on board.

This is a band whose material only compromises 48 original songs.

But hey, let's just retire and make sure there's never ANY chance of that number growing. I mean, those people who like Axl now? Fuck 'em, who cares if they wanna see him again?