Straight Outta Compton

J Dog

The wife paid $30k a year to go to school in Compton. :lol:

It was apparently a really nice area once upon a time, if you watch the Cagney movie White Heat they're driving in and around it a fair bit, looks lovely. Not suggesting your Missus went there in 1949 or anything :lol:

On topic:

This movie sounds fuckin' shite, 'not a dry eye in the house when Eazy gets AIDS', oh yay, NWA go full Tom Hanks, cool :mellow:

If they made that scene emotionless everyone would be bitching about how terrible the acting was. It's hardly Tom Hanks level drama (It's not really drama at all), but the guy who played Eazy knocks it out of the park when he gets diagnosed.
I think the whole premise of the film and what they are attempting to project as ridiculous.

Is there any mention of the whole 'HIV pussy havin' motherfucker' skit with Daz and Dre off of Doggystyle?

No. Go see it tho ya wanker. 8 bucks. It was damn cool I thought.

The wife paid $30k a year to go to school in Compton. :lol:

It was apparently a really nice area once upon a time, if you watch the Cagney movie White Heat they're driving in and around it a fair bit, looks lovely. Not suggesting your Missus went there in 1949 or anything :lol:

On topic:

This movie sounds fuckin' shite, 'not a dry eye in the house when Eazy gets AIDS', oh yay, NWA go full Tom Hanks, cool :mellow:

If they made that scene emotionless everyone would be bitching about how terrible the acting was. It's hardly Tom Hanks level drama (It's not really drama at all), but the guy who played Eazy knocks it out of the park when he gets diagnosed.
I think the whole premise of the film and what they are attempting to project as ridiculous.

Is there any mention of the whole 'HIV pussy havin' motherfucker' skit with Daz and Dre off of Doggystyle?

No. Go see it tho ya wanker. 8 bucks. It was damn cool I thought.

I would rather be eaten alive by a pack of hungry pigs :lol: I have no wish to see NWA airbrush their lives for posterity, it sounds excruciating. Rappers should not be allowed to tell their own life storys in general, unless their name is Tupac Shakur. The only rapper I've honestly ever seen give a frank and forthright assessment of their own lives was Tupac, was Ressurection (although fair dues he didn't know that shit was gonna be for posterity but either way it was all media/interviews etc that he had put out there), the thing is full of 'i fucked up here, i fucked up here, WOW, i did that wrong, i judged that wrong etc'. I don't need to see a bunch of 2 bit NWA lookalikes playing out some kind of cartoon version of a story that, quite frankly, was never really that interesting in the first place. As tales go it's kinda uninteresting.

All that 'this is a classic American tale of greed...redemption' etc etc blah blah blah, i don't need to be preached at by a movie about a group that made a point of never preaching. It's just a movie version of VH1 Behind The Music, just like these shits always are. I'm getting the sneaking feeling that every rappers overall ambition is to someday be on Oprah, thats the end game here, the legend status this, what it culiminates in 'wa-hey, lets all get on the talkshows for middle aged ladies that fuckin' hated us in the first place!', what a sense of achievement they must feel.

Now somebody ask why i prefer Rakim :D

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

Self-righteous hipster doofus

I'd sign up if they'd have me :lol: Calling people a bunch of fuckin' wankers doesn't involve any kind of moral quagmire man :lol:

Hahaha. Alls I'm saying is a decent movie about a great group. I know you like them. It's a Hollywood portrayal. But go in without any preconceived notions. Or understanding of the history of NWA, and it's a decent film.

Lenny just set in his ways..

Self-righteous hipster doofus

I'd sign up if they'd have me :lol: Calling people a bunch of fuckin' wankers doesn't involve any kind of moral quagmire man :lol:

Hahaha. Alls I'm saying is a decent movie about a great group. I know you like them. It's a Hollywood portrayal. But go in without any preconceived notions. Or understanding of the history of NWA, and it's a decent film.

Lenny just set in his ways..

I'll probably end up watching it anyway, Lord knows I've watched enough low quality shit in my time :lol:

Lenny why do you hate fun. :(

Sorry! :lol:

Do you ever feel like you read too much into this shit?

No...but i don't think that invalidates the opposing idea that people put across in response to my having read too much, i.e. it is just a movie, it doesn't really matter for much etc etc. Why do you feel saying a movie looks like a piece of shit airbrushing process for prosperity 'reading too much?'. Perhaps I'm cynical. I suppose it's just a fun little freewheeling movie about a fluffy little group that inadvertedly shone a light on a bunch of people being pretty well fucked over at that point in history. I wonder if there are any clips of door after door in LA getting rammed in by drug squads or Rodney King getting all kinds of shit beat out of him. And all released around a time where a further light is being shone on police brutality against people of a certain colour in America.
You don't suppose a bunch of millionaires making money out of that could be a little bit cynical too, do ya? Or am i reading too much again? Sorry! This thing in my head, it just keeps thinking for itself and thinking for itself and thinking for itself...i try to shut it down and it just won't. On the brightside, i won't be walking into any moving traffic any time soon i suppose :lol:
But you're right, it is just a movie end of the day...just like Dodgeball is just a movie...and i won't watch that either cuz i think it looks like a piece of shit :D

Makes you wonder exactly why everyones been having a go at Floyd Mayweather lately. Perhaps if he released some headphones... :lol: But no, I promise to try to stop hating fun :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

Lenny why do you hate fun. :(

Sorry! :lol:

Do you ever feel like you read too much into this shit?

No...but i don't think that invalidates the opposing idea that people put across in response to my having read too much, i.e. it is just a movie, it doesn't really matter for much etc etc. Why do you feel saying a movie looks like a piece of shit airbrushing process for prosperity 'reading too much?'. Perhaps I'm cynical. I suppose it's just a fun little freewheeling movie about a fluffy little group that inadvertedly shone a light on a bunch of people being pretty well fucked over at that point in history. I wonder if there are any clips of door after door in LA getting rammed in by drug squads or Rodney King getting all kinds of shit beat out of him. And all released around a time where a further light is being shone on police brutality against people of a certain colour in America.

You don't suppose a bunch of millionaires making money out of that could be a little bit cynical too, do ya? Or am i reading too much again? Sorry! This thing in my head, it just keeps thinking for itself and thinking for itself and thinking for itself...i try to shut it down and it just won't. On the brightside, i won't be walking into any moving traffic any time soon i suppose :lol:

But you're right, it is just a movie end of the day...just like Dodgeball is just a movie...and i won't watch that either cuz i think it looks like a piece of shit :D

Makes you wonder exactly why everyones been having a go at Floyd Mayweather lately. Perhaps if he released some headphones... :lol: But no, I promise to try to stop hating fun :lol:
I don't mean like, you gotta be all or nothing about it. It's really cool that you have all of this insight and passion about the roots in rap music, and very cool that you empathize and identify with it in the particular way that you do.

And I'm not trying to be one of those "hey it's just a movie chill out" kind of dudes, because a movie can misrepresent or be offensive or miss the point or suck. Writing off a shitty stupid movie with the excuse of "well it's just a movie" is one of my biggest pet peeves, because being critical of media is what determines quality.

But more so what I meant is that, do you feel like you set your standards too high, to the point where you can't enjoy a well made, well acted, well shot, and well produced film that is representing a fictionalization of the origins of N.W.A.?

I mean after seeing it I guess it could have done better or been more emotionally genuine to the true story, but having Dre and Cube behind it kindof makes it as close to that as we can get, yeah?

Although I suppose what you're saying is that even Dre and Cube are retrospectively being disingenuous to their own story, looking back on their roots from their now coddled and wealthy life styles. Which I could totally get behind, the film certainly did seem like it was heavily glamorized to fit into a Hollywood narrative, and sure Dre and Cube are capitalizing a bit on people who still are stuck living in the conditions they probably faced when they were starting up.

But I mean, yeah. It very very heavily highlights police brutality(there are scenes of police abuse that aren't overly cartoonish but that give a perspective to the kinds of people that are being unfairly abused, and there are scenes of unfair emotionless drug raids), explores Rodney King and the aftermath of it(shows many real footage clips of the actual beating, and also shows fictionalizations of the riots), and could probably give some people a different perspective on the ways that the police force operates today, and how black people in impoverished areas are taken advantage of.

I'm sure Cube and Dre are making tons of money off of the film, but it really does dedicate a lot of its time to illustrating the power of police without making it feel over the top and inapplicable to topical events like Ferguson and Baltimore.

I dunno dude, I think you should check it out at least. I can hook you up with an online stream of it

Edited by Dan H.
  • Like 2

Rap just hasnt reached that classic rock nostalgia horizon. They just want more money, more bitches. If they had some kind of past worship they would showcase the music of NWA. I dont think its neccesarily a bad thing. They want to be relevant now, more Hollywood now. i guess its a macho culture coming out with a movie that plays well artistically but makes no money just isnt an option. Theres no romance in bombing in rap.

Too long, and it doesn't really give you a "behind the scenes" look. I was hoping for some early years..like young years, and they totally disrespect Ren and DOC.

Rap just hasnt reached that classic rock nostalgia horizon. They just want more money, more bitches. If they had some kind of past worship they would showcase the music of NWA. I dont think its neccesarily a bad thing. They want to be relevant now, more Hollywood now. i guess its a macho culture coming out with a movie that plays well artistically but makes no money just isnt an option. Theres no romance in bombing in rap.

It has.....you are just classic rock too much credit. How many posters on here would give it a thumbs down?

Edited by SunnyDRE

The truth is Eazy was nowhere his calibre, I mean these guys apparently had shooters all over their offices...and Suge secured his signature with iron bars.

Too long, and it doesn't really give you a "behind the scenes" look. I was hoping for some early years..like young years, and they totally disrespect Ren and DOC.

It has.....you are just classic rock too much credit. How many posters on here would give it a thumbs down?

So why isnt Compton... straight outta compton 2? It makes CD look like a avant garde masterpiece. its like they ready to bum Nwa but it ended up in kanyes ass. Maybe poor choice of words

So why isnt Compton... straight outta compton 2? It makes CD look like a avant garde masterpiece. its like they ready to bum Nwa but it ended up in kanyes ass. Maybe poor choice of words

:lol:

I saw it tonight. I was pretty good but moves a little fast. You don't really get all the animosity between Ice Cube and the group/Eazy. It's limited to a few scenes until he's out and then the rap battels kick ina little. Its a decent movie but it's tough to cram everything into 2.5 hours. Still it was well done I thought. I'd love to see a GnR movie done this well. Focus on their career from 1985-1994. Fuck the CD era(nobody cares). That could be a footnote in the credits if need be but the rise and fall of the band would be a great story.

• Like 1