Straight Outta Compton

J Dog

Because they sucked after Cube left. Their lyrics got stupidly misogynistic and violent because they didn't really have anything witty to say and spare me with the aggressive Dre crap.

True but that level of violence and misogyny had a sort of novelty value in 1991. But yeah, Cube was the boy really.

Edited by Len B'stard

Saw a lengthy trailer for this, look a bit shite. There was a bit in it where the Cube playing guy is busting up a bunch of plaques on an office wall, if thats in reference to the incident with Priority Records I'd be interested to know how that fits the film, that shit happened whilst he was a solo artist, not a member of NWA. Certain members of The Lench Mob were in attendance if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Len B'stard

I absolutely love this era of west coast rap, it's really the pinnacle imo. Nothing New York EVER produced can fuck with Straight Out of Compton, The Chronic, Doggystyle, and All Eyez on me. Those 4 albums are just plain on a different level imo. Not trying to knock New York or any other artists, but those 4 were my Shit. Still to this day, those albums still sound fresh relevant. I actually wanted to buy Doggystyle in vinyl today, but wife shot me down. ?

I absolutely love this era of west coast rap, it's really the pinnacle imo. Nothing New York EVER produced can fuck with Straight Out of Compton, The Chronic, Doggystyle, and All Eyez on me. Those 4 albums are just plain on a different level imo. Not trying to knock New York or any other artists, but those 4 were my Shit. Still to this day, those albums still sound fresh relevant. I actually wanted to buy Doggystyle in vinyl today, but wife shot me down.

Not to be Geeko the fuckin' Hip Hop Spazzboy but those four albums ain't from the same era.

i noticed the movie's almost 2 and a half hours (does this mean there could be a 3 hour director's cut?), the reviews mention that it starts running out of steam a half hour before the end. They're taking a 10 year span for a group that existed half that time.

The reputation of a city name never goes away even if things have improved for the better.

I absolutely love this era of west coast rap, it's really the pinnacle imo. Nothing New York EVER produced can fuck with Straight Out of Compton, The Chronic, Doggystyle, and All Eyez on me. Those 4 albums are just plain on a different level imo. Not trying to knock New York or any other artists, but those 4 were my Shit. Still to this day, those albums still sound fresh relevant. I actually wanted to buy Doggystyle in vinyl today, but wife shot me down.

I'd probably agree. I love certain NY shit, especially from that time. But from NWA up until Death Row went down, that's just top notch shit. Great era.

I'm putting a lot of faith in F. Gary Gray to not make the movie too soft and cream puffy.

• Like 1

I'd probably agree. I love certain NY shit, especially from that time. But from NWA up until Death Row went down, that's just top notch shit. Great era.

I'm putting a lot of faith in F. Gary Gray to not make the movie too soft and cream puffy.

If 4 albums from the west coast are head and shoulders above the rest then that don't say a lot for hip hop as a genre :lol:

If 4 albums from the west coast are head and shoulders above the rest then that don't say a lot for hip hop as a genre :lol:

Now you know better than that. I can't speak for Mikey, but I include a lot more than those 4 albums. Everything from Pac and Cube and Eazy albums, Coolio, Dj Quik, Too $hort and the Dangerous Crew (Spice 1, Ant Banks), Warren G, Above the Law (one of the most overlooked rap groups ever). Anything from Death Row like those soundtracks or DPG. And I'm not even preaching they are better, whatever makes ya foot tap and head nod. Personally I just love the sound they had. On any given day I can listen to any of them.

Overall, yeah, NY historically is at the top. Their roster of great rappers goes way deeper then the west. I just love the G-Funk.

Edited by J Dog
  • Like 1

But Len, what album from anywhere,n it just NY can you honestly say is better than any of those 4? I like Biggie, but album vs album, it's not on the same level as All Eyez On Me or Makavelli if you want my honest to God opinion there. Wu tang were good yes, but they never reached the Chronic or Doggystyle type of level. Public Enemy were also pretty important, but compared to NWA, they didn't have the impact. I don't see any Public Enemy movies being made, the proofs in the pudding there. Honestly the only NY act that being in this conversation is Run DMC. I'll give you them, but all the rest fall short, even Jay Z. I like his first 5 or 6 albums, but honestly he came in to the game at a point when Pac and Biggie were gone, so thats why he became the man IMO. Had Pac and Biggie lived, Jay Z would not of become the big shot he is now. Honestly man to man or album to album I'll take Eminem over Jay Z any day of the week. Eminem had something new to say, nobody else was like him. Jay Z was all Money ain't a thang, same old schtick really. Plus Eminems first 2 albums are better than anything Jay Z ever recorded. Of course this is all just my opinion, I'm no hip hop authority. But I did live through this whole era, and I've always felt that west coast was better. Even though Eminem was Detroit guy, his connection to Dre made him the next generation of the west coast style really, with the beats anyways. Like J Dog said, give me Snoop, Dre, Pac, Cube, Easy, Warren G, Nate Dogg, Kurupt, and plenty of others over anything the east coast ever produced. Biggie was great, no doubt, but Pac was on a whole different level mentally, so he is who I side with there.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

mikey, don't forget nas and big l, they werre great...

anyway, i saw "do the right thing" by spike lee this afternoon (soundtrack by public enemy), it's a good movie, i doubt "straight outta compton" will be as good.

I did forget about Nas, he was something for a while there.

I guess part of the reason I feel the way I do, besides just liking the music better, is because of where I grew up and what not. I grew up in Flint Mi, which is one of the 3 worst cities in America, and usually #1. So my perspective, when it comes to hip hop might be a little different. I didn't attend the worst school in Flint, but having said that, their isn't a good school either, except for private school, but not public. My point is I actually grew up in rough area, just as hard or arguably harder than what many of these artists actually talk about. Now don't get me wrong, my personal up bringing was no where near that of 2Pac or anyone else, I'm not saying that. But what I am saying is that I grew up with kids, mostly African Americans that yes did have it as hard or even harder than Pac did. So even though that wasmt my personal reality, I did witness it on a first hand level. Many of which are indeed dead or in jail or are in and out of jail frequently. Honestly just recently (about 3 to 4 months ago) a friend of mine from school was murdered because he was in the drug game. He was murdered in his sleep, and it's very unlikely his killer will ever be enough to justice, because to be quite frank, the Flint police very rarely EVER solve murder cases, unless it involves white folks...

To circle this back around to the topic at hand, the real hardcore gangsta type brothers, didn't listen to much Jay Z or even Biggie back in the day. I'm not saying they didn't like them or respect them, but (from what I remember) they were more into bone thugs, yes nas, early no limit (before it got real popular), and yes Pac. Pac had the ultimate respect, he was like the real deal. It was more of the suburban (white kids) that liked Biggie tbh. Even though I was technically one of those suburban white kids, and did like Biggie as well, my group of friends were more "hardcore" I guess lol. We listened to all the west coast stuff, the new York stuff, and the southern stuff. I say that because my friends bought the drugs from the real thugs, then sold it to the rich kids and kids from the schools outside of Flint. So we kinda were the middle men I guess lol. But usually the music that the real thugs were listening to wouldn't catch on with the suburban kids until 6 months or even a year or two later, if at all.

I'm just rambling know, lol. Whatever you are into is all cool, it doesn't really matter. Its just my perspective was a little different I suppose. My friends and I would go to the ghetto to get an ounce, they would show up bumping Ghetto Dope. My friends and I would be listening to Outkast (usually), and we would sell a dime to a kid in the suburbs who would be listening to Hypnotize on repeat, or even worse gettin jiggy wit it. I swear this one kid was ALWAYS bumping hypnotize...

Saw a lengthy trailer for this, look a bit shite. There was a bit in it where the Cube playing guy is busting up a bunch of plaques on an office wall, if thats in reference to the incident with Priority Records I'd be interested to know how that fits the film, that shit happened whilst he was a solo artist, not a member of NWA. Certain members of The Lench Mob were in attendance if I'm not mistaken.

That scene takes place after Cube released AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted in the film. It's Lynch Mob guys with him when he does it.

i noticed the movie's almost 2 and a half hours (does this mean there could be a 3 hour director's cut?), the reviews mention that it starts running out of steam a half hour before the end. They're taking a 10 year span for a group that existed half that time.

The reputation of a city name never goes away even if things have improved for the better.

Don't agree at all about the film losing steam in the last half hour, I thought it was excellent. Very touching, I've actually been reading a lot of comments on Reddit saying there wasn't a dry eye in a lot of showings when Eazy got diagnosed.

I do have one question seeing as I'm not exactly an expert on N.W.A, but I'll spoiler tag in because it may or may not have just been written into the film.

Was the group really on the edge of a full-scale reunion when Eazy got diagnosed? I knew the story as it unfolded in the film more or less, but I never remember hearing about them trying to reunite in 1995, let alone Cube or Dre ever really making amends with Eazy before he died.

anyway, i saw "do the right thing" by spike lee this afternoon (soundtrack by public enemy), it's a good movie, i doubt "straight outta compton" will be as good.

Nothing can beat Fear of the Black Hat.

Nothing can beat Fear of the Black Hat.
As good as this movie looks, I will eat a glove if it's better than Fear of a Black Hat.

The wife paid $30k a year to go to school in Compton. :lol:

It was apparently a really nice area once upon a time, if you watch the Cagney movie White Heat they're driving in and around it a fair bit, looks lovely. Not suggesting your Missus went there in 1949 or anything :lol:

On topic:

This movie sounds fuckin' shite, 'not a dry eye in the house when Eazy gets AIDS', oh yay, NWA go full Tom Hanks, cool :mellow:

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

I do have one question seeing as I'm not exactly an expert on N.W.A, but I'll spoiler tag in because it may or may not have just been written into the film.

Was the group really on the edge of a full-scale reunion when Eazy got diagnosed? I knew the story as it unfolded in the film more or less, but I never remember hearing about them trying to reunite in 1995, let alone Cube or Dre ever really making amends with Eazy before he died.
Cube and Eazy made amends but not Dre and Eazy. Cube said him and Eazy talked about working together again on day, but full-scale reunion is a stretch.
  • Like 1

The wife paid $30k a year to go to school in Compton. :lol:

It was apparently a really nice area once upon a time, if you watch the Cagney movie White Heat they're driving in and around it a fair bit, looks lovely. Not suggesting your Missus went there in 1949 or anything :lol:

On topic:

This movie sounds fuckin' shite, 'not a dry eye in the house when Eazy gets AIDS', oh yay, NWA go full Tom Hanks, cool :mellow:

If they made that scene emotionless everyone would be bitching about how terrible the acting was. It's hardly Tom Hanks level drama (It's not really drama at all), but the guy who played Eazy knocks it out of the park when he gets diagnosed.