Straight Outta Compton

J Dog

People slag him off left right and centre and a lot of it is deserved but at the same time he's a really important figure in the lineage of that particular kind of music, young artists were getting fucked back in them days, by the business brigade, by the 'i'll-put-you-on-hold' lot, he basically got a lot of these guys their dues, by hook or by crook. It was needed in the industry at that time. However else things might've ended up everybody on that fuckin' label ate and lived good and made money. Rap music would not be what it is today were it not for Suge Knight, the great trinity of Dre, Snoop and Pac, the ones to REALLY take it overground would not be in the way they are were it not for Suge Knight, put simply contemporary music history would be a lot different and not for the better either.

Plus, anyone that makes Vanilla Ice make a statement like 'i needed adult diapers that day' is a man i have a lot of time for :lol:

• Like 1

People slag him off left right and centre and a lot of it is deserved but at the same time he's a really important figure in the lineage of that particular kind of music, young artists were getting fucked back in them days, by the business brigade, by the 'i'll-put-you-on-hold' lot, he basically got a lot of these guys their dues, by hook or by crook. It was needed in the industry at that time. However else things might've ended up everybody on that fuckin' label ate and lived good and made money. Rap music would not be what it is today were it not for Suge Knight, the great trinity of Dre, Snoop and Pac, the ones to REALLY take it overground would not be in the way they are were it not for Suge Knight, put simply contemporary music history would be a lot different and not for the better either.

Plus, anyone that makes Vanilla Ice make a statement like 'i needed adult diapers that day' is a man i have a lot of time for :lol:

If that is him in the movie, it looks like they giving a beat down. I'm assuming that's Eazy, when Suge goes to "negotiate" getting Dre out of his Ruthless contract.

You got it right about Suge, hate him all you want, he has a huge role in hip hop history. He helped to completely change the rap game. That trinity you talking about, The Chronic followed by Doggystyle followed by All Eyez on Me, that is a classic, game changing stretch of albums. Not to mention all the other stuff.

I've heard people give Pac hell about hanging with Suge and all that, but my man was sitting in a maximum security prison looking at like 9 years in the face, and here comes Suge with a million dollars cash saying, I can bail you out today and we will be on a private jet to L.A this afternoon, you just gotta sign with Death Row. Of course Pac is going to sign. It's the classic tale of making a deal with the devil.

Just to show you the type of attitude Suge had look at Above the Rim. That's a movie about New York, filmed in New York, based on outdoor street basketball, which has always been a big part of New York's personality. The courts inside a fence with the projects in the background, the net made of chains, that is some New York shit right there. Suge goes out and gets the right to the soundtrack, and then makes the entire soundtrack a West Coast/Death Row party. Dude did not care.

• 2 weeks later...

DJ Yella might finally get his time in the spotlight

Nah

Poor Yella and Ren get no love.

I've always liked Ren. i thought he sounded pretty good on Chin Check i believe and what was that track on Snoops Last Meal album, it had i think Lady of Rage, Cube, Ren, Snoop, i can even remember Rens opening lines 'here come the villian again, grab your ho and get the fuck outta town/this hooray for tolerance! shit make the world go round, it's that black hooray for tolerance! Ren, duck when i bust/make Jada get on these nuts' etc etc so forth.

'Ren is the villian and you're just a hostage/so whenever I'm stepping cover your head like an Ostrich' that was one of my favorite cuts off of SOC.

Eazy-E was the least important member musically speaking. Pisses me off when he gets all the plaudits. Cube and Ren for the rhymes, Dre and Yella for the beats and production. Eazy for the extortion.

Well not really man cuz he gave it a voice, he gave it authenticity, he was the wildcard of the group, they were sold on being crazy and Eazy was the only really crazy one. For SOOC to work it has to be believable and Eazy made it believable.

I get what you mean, his musical contribution was the least but...yknow, its like saying would Pete Townshends songs've sold without being channelled through Rog' Daltrey?

• 2 weeks later...

I've always liked Ren. i thought he sounded pretty good on Chin Check i believe and what was that track on Snoops Last Meal album, it had i think Lady of Rage, Cube, Ren, Snoop, i can even remember Rens opening lines 'here come the villian again, grab your ho and get the fuck outta town/this hooray for tolerance! shit make the world go round, it's that black hooray for tolerance! Ren, duck when i bust/make Jada get on these nuts' etc etc so forth.

'Ren is the villian and you're just a hostage/so whenever I'm stepping cover your head like an Ostrich' that was one of my favorite cuts off of SOC.

Yeah Chin Check was tight. I think the Last Meal one was Set it Off, Ren sounded good on both. This one was pretty good too...

Ren - "scarin motherfuckas like Stephen King flicks make hooray for tolerance!z clear the room like a dike flee a dick"

Edited by J Dog

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to watch Fear of the Black Hat to get ready to not go and see this.

Black Hat is classic. And I just don't believe Mr.Fuck that Police himself is not going to watch this.

I miss Eazy

We all do homie...we all do

• Like 1

Saw the trailer. What the fuck nothing on Ren and Yella? And why is the Dre guy a dead ringer for Ren?

What shits me more than anything? Not once did I hear "YOU ARE NOW ABOUT TO WITNESS THE STRENGTH OF STREET KNOWLEDGE...". That alone would have made me go nuts.

I'm going to watch Fear of the Black Hat to get ready to not go and see this.

FUCK THE SECURITY GUARDS! :lol:

Eazy and Ren had the best voices, IMO. I was actually talking to a buddy a while ago about that, he showed me a few of Rens solo songs I hadn't heard, he was really underrated. ^Hello is fuckin awesome too.

I don't often see much love for 100 Miles and Runnin either, which is crazy cuz to me it's easily one of their best songs, maybe even their best. Dre sounds his best, Ren and Eazy are both on fire, good beat, but I always see people pass over it.

• Like 2

Eazy and Ren had the best voices, IMO. I was actually talking to a buddy a while ago about that, he showed me a few of Rens solo songs I hadn't heard, he was really underrated. ^Hello is fuckin awesome too.

I don't often see much love for 100 Miles and Runnin either, which is crazy cuz to me it's easily one of their best songs, maybe even their best. Dre sounds his best, Ren and Eazy are both on fire, good beat, but I always see people pass over it.

One of their best songs post Cube. Relentless beat and all three went in.

Always thought N!ggaz4Life got a little too much hate too. The title song....Appetite for Destruction...Real N'z Don't Die...Alwayz into Sumthin...Automobile...I'd Rather Fuck You....all great songs.

I'm with Johnny up their about the writing taking a dip after Cube. But that's also when the production took off. Dre started to come into his own. Just listen to Alwayz Into Sumthin...that's like the start of G-Funk right there.

Edited by J Dog
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...