Really good DTJ/YCBM (Slash w/ Myles Kennedy)

Tom-Ass

Axl and Slash's bands. .. poles apart in quality.

This sentence is accurate. Chinese is better then everything Slash managed to put out since he left old Guns with all of the bands he was in combined. Poles apart in quality.

Live, they're comparable. Slash's band got Myles, and Axl's solo Guns got Ashba.

It's just a matter of taste... so your sentence is bullshit.

To me Slash has like 35-40 songs post guns that I like, whereas Axl has maybe 5-6.

I'm with you on that one, you can make a pretty kick ass playlist of Slash's best tunes post-guns. CD I'd have to cut in half at least to get thru it.

• Like 1

if i had 2 bullets in a room with myles, assba and skrillex I would shoot myles' right arm twice

Whaaa!?

As for the video, DTJ sounded pretty decent, YCBM was just played that bit too fast for my liking, I think you can push a songs tempo live but you have to be careful not to scupper the entire song by making in drag or possibly make it too fast.

This sentence is accurate. Chinese is better then everything Slash managed to put out since he left old Guns with all of the bands he was in combined. Poles apart in quality.

Live, they're comparable. Slash's band got Myles, and Axl's solo Guns got Ashba.

To me Slash has like 35-40 songs post guns that I like, whereas Axl has maybe 5-6.

35-40? that's a bit much? are we talkin' about like or think they are great songs?

I like almost all of the latest record, I'd say there's 8 or 9 absolute killer tracks, Apocalyptic love didn't work for me, but there's about 3/4 cool songs Slash had about 5 really good songs, Libertad has about 4 really good songs, Contraband has about 5 really good songs, Snakepit? I honestly have never had any interest in Snakepit it sounds like UYI out takes, and I'd much rather just listen to UYI I & II. So that's in the ball park of 28-30 great songs. If Axl had actually put of as many records as Slash in that time (in some alternate world) he would definitely have come up at least 5 really good songs per record as well.

The problem there is comparing Slash's output to Axl's, yeh! we know Slash has released a hell of a lot more than Axl... so the odds of him having more great songs are pretty high, CD isn't enough on it's own to contend with 15 years of solo / band releases, it is however as good as or better than the majority of the the records he released in that time. Time will tell if I will still love 'World on fire' in 6 years.

Edited by Tom2112

if i had 2 bullets in a room with myles, assba and skrillex I would shoot myles' right arm twice

Whaaa!?

As for the video, DTJ sounded pretty decent, YCBM was just played that bit too fast for my liking, I think you can push a songs tempo live but you have to be careful not to scupper the entire song by making in drag or possibly make it too fast.

35-40? that's a bit much? are we talkin' about like or think they are great songs?

I like almost all of the latest record, I'd say there's 8 or 9 absolute killer tracks, Apocalyptic love didn't work for me, but there's about 3/4 cool songs Slash had about 5 really good songs, Libertad has about 4 really good songs, Contraband has about 5 really good songs, Snakepit? I honestly have never had any interest in Snakepit it sounds like UYI out takes, and I'd much rather just listen to UYI I & II. So that's in the ball park of 28-30 great songs. If Axl had actually put of as many records as Slash in that time (in some alternate world) he would definitely have come up at least 5 really good songs per record as well.

The problem there is comparing Slash's output to Axl's, yeh! we know Slash has released a hell of a lot more than Axl... so the odds of him having more great songs are pretty high, CD isn't enough on it's own to contend with 15 years of solo / band releases, it is however as good as or better than the majority of the the records he released in that time. Time will tell if I will still love 'World on fire' in 6 years.

Nothing to argue with that. Just wanted to point out that CD isn't everybody's favour.

That was kinda my point though. Drama said Slash's band is much better, but imo, both bands deliver quality rock shows, and in the studio, Slash puts out a record every 2 years with weaker material compared to Axl, but Axl doesn't release new music very often and people have problems with the production.

It's subjective, but it is comparable. Slash is not really a songwriter and doesn't really experiment in the studio, and Axl tries to incorporate new approaches and influences to the Guns sound.

Interesting that Contraband had some Gn'R elements, and Chinese has many as well. Now I understand just how big of a part of the Guns sound Slash was. Almost or just as iconic as Axl's voice.

Chinese still sounds more Gn'R to me, so I prefer it with what I consider better material compared to the best Slash had to offer with Contraband. Non of it had the scale of Chinese. It's quite an ambitious album.

This sentence is accurate.

The worst song Slash has written since he left Guns, is still better than the entire Chinese Democracy record.

how can you say that with There Was a Time on the record??? your comment baffles me. seriously

I don't know why people get crazy over that song. Buckethead is great, so is Finck but lyrics are utter shit.

And yet you have no problem talking about how you enjoy some songs from World On Fire lol.

I like most of Twat's lyrics. And they don't ruin shit. Axl's phrasing is great here, how he sings those lyrics and the song is epic as shit.

And yes Bucket is great, delivering a monster outro.

Edited by Rovim

I'd take CD over Slash's post-Guns output, but I really liked World on Fire, and since 2012 I've preferred the Slash gigs I've attended to the Guns shows I've been to (with the exception of Atlantic City 2012, last great Axl performance I saw). Slash's 2012 solo spot beat any of the nuGNR solo spots, but his 2014 one dragged on way, way too long. Anastasia is the highlight of the Slash solo shows, along with SCOM. Nightrain, it's at toss-up between 2010 GNR and Slash for me, both experiences had pluses (Axl's voice, Slash's solo, Bumble's solo was pretty good) and minuses (Ashba, Myles is decent on Nightrain but no Axl). Seeing YCBM with Slash & Myles last November was great but the 2010 GNR performances were something else (also wish Slash would play it on the BC Rich). 2010 Slash Civil War was killer, 2012 Atlantic City GNR Civil War was pretty good, would have probably been better in 2010.

DTJ got a disappointingly muted response from the crowd in London last year :/ Band were still great.

tl;dr: you should see Slash live, it's a great show.

tl;dr: you should see Slash live, it's a great show.

Hopefully this summer I'll get to grace my ears with some live Slash playing.

And btw, I like the BC Rich. But just how it looks and in the studio. I don't think it's really that great live. Slash sounds killer on ycbm to me now.

Prostitute in Vegas clearly showed Axl can still deliver sometimes, but you know...he's lazy as shit and doesn't give enough fucks to get in shape before a tour and/or practice with the band, warming up, singing before a tour.

But all that is shit to Axl. I wonder if he likes to play Wii U, or just PS4/Xbox1 games.

Edited by Rovim

The worst song Slash has written since he left Guns, is still better than the entire Chinese Democracy record.

how can you say that with There Was a Time on the record??? your comment baffles me. seriously

There are plenty of Slash's solo work that is better than anything on Chinese Democracy

• Like 1

There are plenty of Slash's solo work that is better than anything on Chinese Democracy

Impossible. The "Gotta get the IRS, Gonna need the FBI" song is a masterpiece. :rofl-lol:

That was kinda my point though. Drama said Slash's band is much better, but imo, both bands deliver quality rock shows, and in the studio, Slash puts out a record every 2 years with weaker material compared to Axl, but Axl doesn't release new music very often and people have problems with the production.

It's subjective, but it is comparable. Slash is not really a songwriter and doesn't really experiment in the studio, and Axl tries to incorporate new approaches and influences to the Guns sound.

Interesting that Contraband had some Gn'R elements, and Chinese has many as well. Now I understand just how big of a part of the Guns sound Slash was. Almost or just as iconic as Axl's voice.

Chinese still sounds more Gn'R to me, so I prefer it with what I consider better material compared to the best Slash had to offer with Contraband. Non of it had the scale of Chinese. It's quite an ambitious album.

I don't know why people get crazy over that song. Buckethead is great, so is Finck but lyrics are utter shit.

And yet you have no problem talking about how you enjoy some songs from World On Fire lol.

I like most of Twat's lyrics. And they don't ruin shit. Axl's phrasing is great here, how he sings those lyrics and the song is epic as shit.

And yes Bucket is great, delivering a monster outro.

Everything's fine. Still I don't agree with everything you wrote but it's your opinion and it's ok. To me there's enough stuff Slash's written over the past 2 decades including songs from CB that are at least on par with the best of CD like TWAT and Better.

Still, nothing of that stuff is perfect. Some tunes lacks the greatness of Axl, some lacks the rawness and energy of Slash... and some lacks the coolness of Izzy. It is what it is.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

I used to hate Myles voice on GnR songs. He was so bad on the popular SCOM and Civil War performances that it actually hurt my feelings.

But he has sounded pretty darn good on some of the more recent ones. He had a really good Rocketqueen one, almost sounding better than Axl did in his prime.

BUT at the end of the day, this isn't a competition. Who cares if Myles or Axl is a better singer? That's more of a topic for butthurt cupcake like posters who do nothing but come here to bitch and moan and complain and just add negativity to the forum.

If you are a fan of a singer/band - then go see them, buy their albums, enjoy their career.

If you are not a fan, then don't go see them, don't buy their albums, don't follow their career.

I thought Velvet Revolver was boring, clichéd and they sucked.

Hence I didn't go post 20 times on every VR topic just so I could tell people how much I hated Scott's voice.

• Like 1

Whaaa!?

28-30 are still twice as many songs as CD in its entirety, and there are only 3-4 kick ass songs on it, if that. But I'd agree with the poster and say slash has closer to 40-50 killer tunes since leaving Guns. But that's just an old timers opinion.

Sorry that's just absolute bull. Are we forgetting 'Gotten ft. Adam Levine' are we forgetting Saint is a sinner? Safari Inn? CD is obviously not your cup of tea, you make the clear on a daily basis. There are easily 3 songs on that album that I would put up against almost any GnR song, there's at least 10 songs on the album that are great songs. There's a couple of songs that don't do anything for me, and some of the songs I think are great suffer from flabby productions admittedly. As I've said a million times, the album is not for everyone.

Was it Myles' voice that killed the momentum in his try out with the Led Zeppelin guys?

Lol. No. The project just fell apart. What I heard was that Page just wasn't ready to be working with singers for that project. I also saw an interview ith JPJ where he said liked Myles. (Referred to here in this Blabbermouth.com article http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jimmy-page-and-john-paul-jones-couldn-t-agree-on-new-band-s-lead-singer/ ) Jason Bonham had heard Myles sing before on the set of a Rock Star, so he knew what he was doing when he asked Myles to jam with them.

Was it Myles' voice that killed the momentum in his try out with the Led Zeppelin guys?

Lol. No. The project just fell apart. What I heard was that Page just wasn't ready to be working with singers for that project. I also saw an interview ith JPJ where he said liked Myles. (Referred to here in this Blabbermouth.com article http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jimmy-page-and-john-paul-jones-couldn-t-agree-on-new-band-s-lead-singer/ ) Jason Bonham had heard Myles sing before on the set of a Rock Star, so he knew what he was doing when he asked Myles to jam with them.

I said to myself before listening to World On Fire that I won't let what I think about his timbre ruin it for me. It didn't. I get he has grown on me, and now I'm excited to see them live (hopefully) and for their next album with Slash.

Liked how he sings Wicked Stone on the album, and other songs as well. Still hate the lyrics though. He is capable for at least a little more. The lyrics to Alter Bridge songs are much better in comparison. At least they actually mean something most of the time.