House of Cards Season 4 [Spoiler Tags Please]

Forsaken

My wife LOVED the first two seasons but I never got around to watching either. I started season 3 with her yesterday morning just for shiggles and like what I'm seeing so far. There's been plenty of times where I've had her stop so I can ask questions so I think I'm caught up on a lot of the back story now.

We got through roughly 7 (maybe 8?) episodes between Saturday and Sunday. As far as I know, we'll be finishing the season tonight.

Finished two episodes. Thought the focus of the first half hour of the first episode was somewhat strange. I'm assuming there's a reason to be revealed later why the producers/scriptwriters decided to spend so much time on that one character.

From what i've seen so far, this season seems to hinge on the husband/wife dynamic far more than another seasons.

As for the particular issues that require spoiler tags, well:

Interesting how there were three references to eggs in the second episode (the first lady picking out eggs for the easter egg hunt, Frank formulating a plan based on the physics of balancing an egg, and later Claire cracking a couple of eggs to end the episode). There might have been more, but those were the three that I caught. I'm wondering if the two cracked eggs signified Claire's need to separate herself from Frank, that in order to do so, she's willing to crack both of their eggs, so to speak.

I thought that the scene at the end alluded heavily to the possibility of (spoiler I guess?)

Claire being pregnant, especially with her all of a sudden deciding she was hungry after declining the food Frank offered her.

I'm 5 episodes in. Loving it so far.

It sounds as though they took the criticism of the past two seasons to heart and gave the Underwoods some worthy adversaries with this season. Last season felt as though Frank towered over others as he climbed his way to the top. Not so with this season; Frank and (especially Claire) seem to be dropping the ball quite a bit in the face of some worthy adversaries.

Should have ended it at season 2. That was a perfect ending.

They de-fanged Frank and Claire both this season. It's like they want the audience to forget what monsters they are and for us to "like" them. We DO like them, BECAUSE they're monsters! Now they just feel neutered. Like how Tony Soprano got more "cuddly" and less ruthless as the show gained popularity.

There's not even a single mention of what Frank did in episode one of season two. 13 episodes and not even a single mention. The characters have forgotten and the writers want the audience to forget.

I won't spoil anything for anyone but the problem is....there's not very much to spoil. It just felt toothless. Just a straight political drama with none of malice from the first two seasons. Thumbs down for me.

• Like 2

Finished the season last night and I agree with the above.

I thought you could see Claire leaving Frank from a MILE away which made the ending very anti-climatic for me.

Also, I thought the guy who played the book writer (can't remember the characters name) was the WORST. ACTOR. EVER.

Should have ended it at season 2. That was a perfect ending.

They de-fanged Frank and Claire both this season. It's like they want the audience to forget what monsters they are and for us to "like" them. We DO like them, BECAUSE they're monsters! Now they just feel neutered. Like how Tony Soprano got more "cuddly" and less ruthless as the show gained popularity.

There's not even a single mention of what Frank did in episode one of season two. 13 episodes and not even a single mention. The characters have forgotten and the writers want the audience to forget.

I won't spoil anything for anyone but the problem is....there's not very much to spoil. It just felt toothless. Just a straight political drama with none of malice from the first two seasons. Thumbs down for me.

Nope when

Petrov meets Frank in the Jordan Valley (?) Petrov recognised the killer in Frank quickly

This was like half a season. They've changed key elements or at least focused on other aspects and characters. Doug and his story this season mainly worked imo, and I like the attempt of going deeper into the human and flawed side of the power couple.

Still, a flawed season. I still want to know what happens next, and there were powerful moments that reminded me why I watch this show, but the writing was clumsy at times, and I feel like they're trying to do more things now and only really nailing just a few.

Maybe it's growing pains, but I hope the next season will move the show forward, without neglecting the crucial elements that made it work in the first place. Still had fun watching it though.

Just finished. Not gonna lie, this was the weakest of the seasons so far. You'd think with Frank

being the President
, that the story would become that much better...but it felt like a huge let down. A lot of story lines that fall flat, some that are never fully hashed out, and others that you could see from a mile away, as Russ said.

My ranking of the seasons are the seasons in order so far. Somewhere around the second half of season 2 it became much less interesting, even with Frank's status.

Just read this from reddit...

Who gets custody of Meechum?
:lol:

Edit: That reminds me, something bothered me about the last chapter.

So Doug bought bleach, acetone a shovel and possibly some rope at the same time...and no one even thinks that's suspicious? :lol:

Also there's literally no reason for Claire to be acting like that. She knew her husband bullied his way into the presidency, then she basically begged him to make her the ambassador to the U.N, now she's pissed that he makes the final decisions? He may have treated her like shit this season, but that anger is way too manufactured for me.

Edited by Crazyman
  • Like 1

Just finished. Needless to say... this season had some story problems. Overall I liked it, but S1 and S2 were far better. The guy who played Petrov was great, those exchanges were the highlights of the season for me. The ending was quite anti-climactic as stated above. I'm curious for next season, I genuinely thought this would be the end.

Just finished. Needless to say... this season had some story problems. Overall I liked it, but S1 and S2 were far better. The guy who played Petrov was great, those exchanges were the highlights of the season for me. The ending was quite anti-climactic as stated above. I'm curious for next season, I genuinely thought this would be the end.

Has it been greenlit for another season?

I was just assuming given the ending. It didn't feel definitive to me at all, figure if the reviews are still decent why wouldn't they do another?

Edited by OmarBradley

I was just assuming given the ending. It didn't feel definitive to me at all, figure if the reviews are still decent why wouldn't they do another?

just wondering...stranger things have happened

I'm still pissed that My So Called Life was cancelled and I never got to find out what happened with Angela and Brian Krakow

Edited by Sixes

The theory is that the show will end next season, because 4 (seasons) x 13 (episodes per season) = 52 (full deck of cards).

I don't know if I believe that, as I think they'll probably keep making it if people continue to watch it, which they will.

Edited by Crazyman

The theory is that the show will end next season, because 4 (seasons) x 13 (episodes per season) = 52 (full deck of cards).

I don't know if I believe that, as I think they'll probably keep making it if people continue to watch it, which they will.

There's a couple other theories I've seen on Reddit on why the show would logically run four seasons. Without delving too much into season 3 (As I've still only watched the first episode), I like both of these:

- Each season represents one suit of a deck. I can't remember what suit season 2 represented, but I know season 1 was hearts, because of the affairs.

- Each season sees Frank embodying a different face card; in season 1 he was the jack - important, but not top dog. Season 2 saw him as the queen - number two to the king. Season 3 he is the king, for obvious reasons. And, again, I can't speak on how well season 3 ties into this theory - season 4 will see him as the ace; standing alone.

• Like 2

There's a couple other theories I've seen on Reddit on why the show would logically run four seasons. Without delving too much into season 3 (As I've still only watched the first episode), I like both of these:

- Each season represents one suit of a deck. I can't remember what suit season 2 represented, but I know season 1 was hearts, because of the affairs.

- Each season sees Frank embodying a different face card; in season 1 he was the jack - important, but not top dog. Season 2 saw him as the queen - number two to the king. Season 3 he is the king, for obvious reasons. And, again, I can't speak on how well season 3 ties into this theory - season 4 will see him as the ace; standing alone.

things-that-blew-your-mind-when-you-were

• Like 2

Oh...I quite like that idea. I actually hope they end it next year now.