AXL ROSE Is 'The Guy You Call If You Make A Mistake And Need To Be Bailed Out At 4 O'Clock In The Morning'

HEH I REMEMBER ABOUT THAT TIME THERE WAS A THREAD AND PEOPLE WERE DEBaTING IF SOME GUY IN THE CROWD AT A BOXING MATCH WAS AXL OR NOT,,,, WONDER IF IT WAS THAT FIGHT ANYONE ELSE REMEMBER?

SORRY I CAN'T HEAR WHAT YOU'RE SAYING RIGHT NOW, TOO MUCH NOISE.

HEH I REMEMBER ABOUT THAT TIME THERE WAS A THREAD AND PEOPLE WERE DEBaTING IF SOME GUY IN THE CROWD AT A BOXING MATCH WAS AXL OR NOT,,,, WONDER IF IT WAS THAT FIGHT ANYONE ELSE REMEMBER?

funny-man-shouting-mega-phone-fuck-yeah-

• Like 1

I think there must be some basis in genuine friendship there. I mean, Axl is known to has fired and rehired the majority of his band and entourage at any given point. It's unlikely Del has managed to go 25 years without pissing him off a few times and vice versa probably. In an alternate universe scenario where Axl finds himself on his uppers I can't see him ditching a friendship of that length purely over money. I have a friend I've had for about 35 years, they become an inextricable part of your being, akin to family.

funny-man-shouting-mega-phone-fuck-yeah-

You're on a roll today username. I seem to have laughed at a ton of your posts!

• Like 1

Theres an article from the 91 club warm up tour that Del wrote where he gives Axl his honest opinion on how he rated the shows out of a 1 to 10 scale. So it would seem that at one point he did give it straight and Axl valued that. If he would still be honestly critical nowadays, no one really knows....id lean towards no given the state of Axls vocals/performance the last 3 to 4 years.

Edited by ChineseIRS

I think there must be some basis in genuine friendship there. I mean, Axl is known to has fired and rehired the majority of his band and entourage at any given point. It's unlikely Del has managed to go 25 years without pissing him off a few times and vice versa probably. In an alternate universe scenario where Axl finds himself on his uppers I can't see him ditching a friendship of that length purely over money. I have a friend I've had for about 35 years, they become an inextricable part of your being, akin to family.

I agree. I still remember that quote I've mentioned before, where Danny Sugerman made an observation on Del and Axl's friendship and opined that Del truly loved him (and yes, we're talking platonic). I think that's probably accurate.

I've known my BFF since we were both six years old, and I agree, such close, longterm friends really do become a major part of your life. In a way I feel as though they're closer than family because that long association is entirely voluntary. You stay in touch with that person because you genuinely want to and because they mean so much to you personally - not because you *need* to do so for the sake of family harmony or obligation.

• Like 1

The only problem I have with Del and the rest of them is that they all appear to owe Axl on some level - usually financially.

There seems to be evry few people in Axl's life that can actually meet him head on because they owe him nothing and stay around for reasons other than his wealth & fame.

Axl spoke of feeling used by Bucket to further his career after he left, he slated Izzy for demanding so much cash to appear with the band, Beta and her entire brood are on salaries, Del & Dizzy would have been penniless and in deep shit without Axl.

That creepy letter from his old manager was all about the money and adulation he could secure.

Does the man have any friends that are not somehow benefiting in terms of $$$$

• Like 1

The only problem I have with Del and the rest of them is that they all appear to owe Axl on some level - usually financially.

There seems to be evry few people in Axl's life that can actually meet him head on because they owe him nothing and stay around for reasons other than his wealth & fame.

Axl spoke of feeling used by Bucket to further his career after he left, he slated Izzy for demanding so much cash to appear with the band, Beta and her entire brood are on salaries, Del & Dizzy would have been penniless and in deep shit without Axl.

That creepy letter from his old manager was all about the money and adulation he could secure.

Does the man have any friends that are not somehow benefiting in terms of $$$$

Duff maybe, although he was paid to performe a few shows in S.A. (He was working after all) he seemed to be happy and got along with everyone, gym classes and everything. When he met Axl again back in 2010 there was no money involved. Loaded opened for GN´R, but that was only a couple of shows.

I don't think there is one single powerful, famous and wealthy person on this planet that doesnt have issues with relationships and learning who's there for them genuinely or for the benefits of the relationship.

From politicians and company owners to singers, actors, athletes, etc. they all go through the same shit.

I don't think there is one single powerful, famous and wealthy person on this planet that doesnt have issues with relationships and learning who's there for them genuinely or for the benefits of the relationship.

From politicians and company owners to singers, actors, athletes, etc. they all go through the same shit.

Axl reminds me of Michael Jackson in that nearly all of those he brought close to him were pretty low down the socio/economic ladder and fucked without his help, so he helps them, then kind of owns them in a way and can demand 100% loyalty.

There is a method in the madness...

On the other hand, both Del and Paul Tobias were friends with Axl from the time he didn't have two cents to his name and couldn't do a thing to help them financially. At one point they were ALL at the same socioeconomic level. So was Dizzy for that matter. He was friends with the band from 85 onward. So even if money is now in the picture and all of those people work for Axl, it didn't start out that way. Perhaps that's the difference - those are all folks who knew Axl before he was famous and didn't just show up to hop a ride on the gravy train in 1992. I almost wonder if that's one of the reasons Axl did hire a lot of his old friends to work for him or for the band in some capacity - he thought he could consider them true friends since they had all been around and been supportive in the lean days. I'd add Marc Canter to that even though Axl hasn't spoken to him in a while - in the beginning Marc was bankrolling a lot of GnR stuff and helping support the band in other ways, such as keeping such amazing documentation, so the situation was reversed.

Axl's siblings, as well - they obviously supported him before he was famous, and even though they worked for him during UYI they both seem to have their own careers now and they both seem to still be close to Axl. So they're in Axl's life without being on his payroll.

As TR said, it IS a situation that a lot of very wealthy and/or famous people have to contend with: what do their friends really want? Are they really friends at all, or just hangers-on? Family can be just as treacherous, or even more so.

Edited by stella
  • Like 4

Axl paid Del's bills, so therefore Axl is the greatest guy.

Slash and Duff didn't pay Del's bills, so therefore Slash and Duff are pieces of shit and their contributions to GNR should be minimized to the extreme.

Hey, I just realized that I didn't donate to the "Del Charity Fund" this year. Does that make me a piece of shit just like Slash and Duff?

It's easy to defend a guy when he pays your doctor bills and bails you out of jail. But where was del during all the riots axl caused? Was it dels shit that got destroyed and what does del have to say about the angry mobs. And I'm sure steph and erin may have something else to add. Well del, you earned your paycheck.

It's easy to defend a guy when he pays your doctor bills and bails you out of jail. But where was del during all the riots axl caused? Was it dels shit that got destroyed and what does del have to say about the angry mobs. And I'm sure steph and erin may have something else to add. Well del, you earned your paycheck.

If I remember correctly, Del wasn't an important part of the tour like he is now a tour manager. He was there like a "biographer" or whatever. The riots were Doug Goldstein responsability, I guess.

I don't know if riots/DV/etc. have any relevance to this particular conversation. The discussion is about Del and Axl's personal relationship and friendship, and it's highly unlikely that Del had even a remote bit of influence or responsibility for the riots. Nor was the DV with Erin Del's fault (and IIRC Del did try to tell Axl that it wasn't a good relationship). And does talking about this friendship, and Axl's seeming altruism toward his close friends and relatives, indicate that he's never done bad things and should be canonized? I can't find evidence of that anywhere on this thread.

For what it's worth: I don't know when Del started as road manager, but over the past, say, four years, the band's been better and better about showing up at a reasonable hour and Axl hasn't missed any shows. Which would, understandably, cut down on potential for riots and audience injuries. Perhaps Del has had a positive influence in that respect. Perhaps he has nothing to do with it because correlation doesn't equal causation. It's interesting that it's happened that way, though.

Edited by stella

I agree with you Stella. Some people here don't seem to understand friendships or their own friendships are all flawed.

I don't get it when people ask where Del was when the riots happened and why people think Axl is some sort of puppet who will do as his friends tell him. Don't you have enough proof of Axl doing whatever he wants? I don't know if he gets away with some stuff because he's rich and wealthy and surrounded by yes-men and women, or simply because he's an independent individual and a rebel who will do as he pleases.... Friends are not parents, they can advice you, accompany you, support you or not, but ultimately a person is free to make their own decisions, whether good or bad.

Have you people read Slash book? He tells plenty of stories of camaraderie among the old line-up. Duff appears to be the father of them all, always there to help everybody who was in trouble. Slash says how Duff and him tried to help Stevn with his drug addiction. They almost babysit Steven. But it didn't work.

With Axl was another story... The way Slash tells the story is like they always ended up pleasing Axl in whatever he wanted, even if the rest of the band didn't like it one bit. Why is that? Slash says "he always won over us"... What kind of charm does Axl have? Hell, they even gave up their rights to the GNR name to please Axl!

For sure, this would be a great case for therapists and psychologists. Axl seems to be the kind of guy who charms you in a way that you can't say no to him even if you are about to lose everything because of him.

I don't know if it's ok for us to judge these relationships since we know very little about them. Every friendship, every romance, every relationship has it's own dynamics only the people involved know how it works. We are not in position to be too hard on the entourage because we were never there and never will be.

• Like 2

Once you've reached the level of celebrity Axl has or did, it's got to be hard to know if people you meet after the fame explodes are genuine or just wanting something out of you.

I saw an interview with Tony Robinson (Baldrick from Blackadder) and they were asking him about Rowan Atkinson- he basically said that, that he didn't know who to trust except the people he knew before he became a big deal.

• Like 1