New Rolling Stone Interview With Slash: "I hated the Guns N' Roses success."

ManetsBR

Here is the exact quote "Quando o Guns se tornou grande de verdade, só comecei a usar muita droga e a me esconder.Eu detestava aquilo"

Which means: When GNR turned out to be huge success I started to use drugs and to hide myself. I hated that

iT ACTUALLY means: When GNR became really huge, I started taking a lot of drugs and to hide myself. I hated that/

Which basically is the same.

no

the first one gives the impression that he didn t use drugs before gnr success

Here is the exact quote "Quando o Guns se tornou grande de verdade, só comecei a usar muita droga e a me esconder.Eu detestava aquilo"

Which means: When GNR turned out to be huge success I started to use drugs and to hide myself. I hated that

iT ACTUALLY means: When GNR became really huge, I started taking a lot of drugs and to hide myself. I hated that/

Which basically is the same.

no

the first one gives the impression that he didn t use drugs before gnr success

No.

One thing that doesn't make sense.... If he didn't enjoy the success of GnR, then why didn't he just hang up the top hat after he left GnR and live off royalties? He certainly could've changed his look a bit, started going by "Saul", and live a normal life while still getting a good chunk of change from the hits from AFD and UYI. Axl did that throughout the mid to late 90's, Slash could've.

Have no idea what the article says but what I surmise is that he didn't enjoy the big machine that GNR became and all that came with that. It doesn't mean that he didn't enjoy playing music and didn't want to continue to play music.

He could always go Izzy route. Izzy never stopped making new music...But he also doesn't appear on magazine covers with top hat and dark shades, never was media darling or doesn't go on long tours playing GnR music...But thats what separates Slash and Izzy. One pretends to be cool rocker who doesn't give a damn about anything, other IS cool rocker who doesn't give a damn about anything...

• Like 1

One thing that doesn't make sense.... If he didn't enjoy the success of GnR, then why didn't he just hang up the top hat after he left GnR and live off royalties? He certainly could've changed his look a bit, started going by "Saul", and live a normal life while still getting a good chunk of change from the hits from AFD and UYI. Axl did that throughout the mid to late 90's, Slash could've.

Have no idea what the article says but what I surmise is that he didn't enjoy the big machine that GNR became and all that came with that. It doesn't mean that he didn't enjoy playing music and didn't want to continue to play music.

He could always go Izzy route. Izzy never stopped making new music...But he also doesn't appear on magazine covers with top hat and dark shades, never was media darling or doesn't go on long tours playing GnR music...But thats what separates Slash and Izzy. One pretends to be cool rocker who doesn't give a damn about anything, other IS cool rocker who doesn't give a damn about anything...

:wow: :wow: :monkey: :monkey:

• Like 1

Slash's weekly interview.

I bet he says something about being happy in his career WITHOUT Guns n Roses. Smh.

He really only brings up Guns when he's asked about them. Why are you assuming things? Slash is still involved in the music business, part of that entails interviews if you're not a dick. How many interviews has Axl done? 2? How many where he actually says anything substantive about new music or behind the scenes info? 0.

Because every interview has the same questions, the same answers and the same fan reaction.

I bet he says something about being happy in his career WITHOUT Guns n Roses. Smh.

He really only brings up Guns when he's asked about them. Why are you assuming things? Slash is still involved in the music business, part of that entails interviews if you're not a dick. How many interviews has Axl done? 2? How many where he actually says anything substantive about new music or behind the scenes info? 0.

Edited by majormayhem

Honestly, I'm sure it annoys you, but its probably the most truthful thing he could say. By all their accounts, they hated that band while they were apart of it. Yeah, it wasn't all bad times, but when it got really big, they all drifted and were all basically on their own. It was grueling and took their toll on each one of them. Slash is thankfully sane enough to look back and know what it did for his life and career (it made it, there's no hiding that) but also realize happiness past it. And he should be allowed to say that as much as he wants. They keep asking, why should he say something different and probably untrue?

Oh fuck that. I love Izzy to death. The man makes incredible music. But when he fucking feels like it and never makes appearances ever. Thats all fine and good, but I would never want Slash to take that route. If he doesn't keep himself current and out there, people call him a hasbeen. If he does, he's a guy that "pretends to be cool", which seriously should be against the law to say while DJ Ashba is currently in Guns N Roses.

I'm sorry, but thank god Slash didn't take that route. I'm happy that I can see Slash usually two times a year with an incredible stable band and putting out music that the world does hear and gravitate towards, however small that number is. So Slash appears on magazines and plays with pop stars and occasionally does some weird PR stuff cause its part of the gig. The bottom line is a large portion of his year is spent touring and making new music, so if you want to find a way to criticize that, I'm sorry but I'm just baffled.

I guess it just all sounds like kissing Slash's ass, but he's done it right. He had a look, he was one of the last major icons of that era. If it makes him happy, I don't see why in the world he'd change that. He's recognizable. He doesn't wear that stuff when he's not doing appearances, and he does it most likely so that people like my father who don't follow the man still know who it is. Again, its just one of those things I guess people will agree to disagree on. But seriously, it would have been plain stupid to do anything differently than he really did, image and appearance wise.

Edited by gunsfanoldie

No, he shouldn't change his truth. But, the fans shouldn't get so bent out of shape when a his weekly interview comes out and he gives the same answer he has been giving for years.

Honestly, I'm sure it annoys you, but its probably the most truthful thing he could say. By all their accounts, they hated that band while they were apart of it. Yeah, it wasn't all bad times, but when it got really big, they all drifted and were all basically on their own. It was grueling and took their toll on each one of them. Slash is thankfully sane enough to look back and know what it did for his life and career (it made it, there's no hiding that) but also realize happiness past it. And he should be allowed to say that as much as he wants. They keep asking, why should he say something different and probably untrue?

No, he shouldn't change his truth. But, the fans shouldn't get so bent out of shape when a his weekly interview comes out and he gives the same answer he has been giving for years.

He's not doing the interview for you, he's doing it for the fans of the country he's about to play.

I do find his interviews very repetitive, but I can't ignore the fact that the only reason is because I have heard or read every single available interview he has given in the last 20 years.

Edited by Nosaj Thing
  • Like 1

He's not doing the interview for you, he's doing it for the fans of the country he's about to play.

I do find his interviews very repetitive, but I can't ignore the fact that the only reason is because I have heard or read every single available interview he has given in the last 20 years.

Oh, I thought it was for me. I was like, "But Slash, you have said this stuff in literally every interview you've done for the last year, at the very least. Just stop doing interviews.". But, I guess if he's doing it for Brazil, I do understand now. I'm gonna go jerk off to the Sweet Child O' Mine solo now.

You're obviously pretty gullible and biased.

Slash always had a high musical output (live and recorded), even in the Guns days he was busy all the time. He's kept exactly the same course. He didn't show up in a flannel shirt and combats in the 90's or in cargo pants and a backwards hat in the early 2000's. He's always been the man he is. In fact, he's a bit ridiculous because he has changed so little.

And while we're on the subject, Izzy still wears bandannas around his head and shades on stage (like he did in the '80s) so your point makes no sense.

Musically, Slash is pushing out albums like good catholic women push out babies so that point makes no fucking sense either. Izzy doesn't appear on magazines because nobody outside of these forums really is interested enough.

Lastly, this implied bullshit of Slash not really having some right to play GNR tunes just doesn't wash; he's playing songs he fucking co-wrote, plus he's playing them for fans that he knows paid to hear them, not to be cool. I bet Slash would dump SCOM in the morning and push his new stuff instead if he could, he just isn't arrogant or dumb enough to deny the lightweight fan what they came to see and hear.

Izzy lives as he does not to be a "cool rocker" (what 50 year old would desire such a title anyway?)...Izzy lives as best as he sees fit. YET he wasn't too cool to take Axl's coin to show up and play a fucking wedding. Would Slash do that? Maybe. But the fact is, he doesn't need to.

So get your schoolboy view of the music business updated and more realistic and get your facts straight while you're at it.

Edited by Intercourse
  • Like 4

Cool is not how I'd describe Izzy, in some ways he's more of a recluse than Axl. At least Axl embraced the exposure and success, Izzy ran from it screaming and hid in a hole somewhere.

That doesn't mean he's not cool. Izzy values his freedom more then anything else it seems.

It's not about fear, it's about choice that is made cause that's just what the type of man like Izzy will go with. It's priorities. Not worth it for him so he does it in such a way that will fit his preferred lifestyle.

There are many types of cool musicians. I'd say he was the coolest of the bunch in Guns. He's got enough money to not give up anything for music. He can just release the shit on itunes and get back to do whatever he likes.

He rarely performs so I think he's not interested in long tours anymore either.

Edited by Rovim

Slash always had a high musical output (live and recorded), even in the Guns days he was busy all the time. He's kept exactly the same course. He didn't show up in a flannel shirt and combats in the 90's or in cargo pants and a backwards hat in the early 2000's. He's always been the man he is. In fact, he's a bit ridiculous because he has changed so little.

And while we're on the subject, Izzy still wears bandannas around his head and shades on stage (like he did in the '80s) so your point makes no sense.

Musically, Slash is pushing out albums like good catholic women push out babies so that point makes no fucking sense either. Izzy doesn't appear on magazines because nobody outside of these forums really is interested enough.

Lastly, this implied bullshit of Slash not really having some right to play GNR tunes just doesn't wash; he's playing songs he fucking co-wrote, plus he's playing them for fans that he knows paid to hear them, not to be cool. I bet Slash would dump SCOM in the morning and push his new stuff instead if he could, he just isn't arrogant or dumb enough to deny the lightweight fan what they came to see and hear.

Izzy lives as he does not to be a "cool rocker" (what 50 year old would desire such a title anyway?)...Izzy lives as best as he sees fit. YET he wasn't too cool to take Axl's coin to show up and play a fucking wedding. Would Slash do that? Maybe. But the fact is, he doesn't need to.

So get your schoolboy view of the music business updated and more realistic and get your facts straight while you're at it.

Couldn't have said it better. For as much criticisim as Slash gets for his post guns work, he's got by far the best back catalogue of non-guns tunes of the bunch. At least IMO.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Slash has always stated he hates playing SCOM. But, it's what your easy going fan would like to hear. So he plays it. I bet most people on this board could think of a better song from GNR that could be played by slash. Examples of November Rain, Coma, Back off Bitch etc. But he sticks with SCOm as its more well known