I just discovered Deep Purple

wasted

I forgot to mention, I think Gillan's voice has really deteriorated. The show I went to was fun, but he was the weak link. I'm still glad its him up there, but us always complaining about Axl makes me forget there is worse out there

I'd love to see Deep Purple with back up singers so Ian could take it easy on his voice.

I've seen Purple four times. Ian can still wail when he wants to.

Somebody once told me that Smoke on the Water is a reference for taking bongs.

Absolutely not. Smoke On The Water was written about a whore house that burned down and there were like 20 whores killed and Blackmore got away without a scratch and wrote the riff with no pants on.

It's about a Frank Zappa show at a hotel that burned down after someone shot a flare gun. It's all in the song lyrics.

• Like 2

I might get a lot of different answers to this, but I'll ask anyway.

The only Deep Purple LP I have is a best of with this tracklisting:

Black Night
Speed King
Fireball
Strang Kind Of Woman
Child In Time
Woman From Tokyo
Highway Star
Space Truckin'
Burn
Stormbringer
Demons Eye
Smoke On The Water

What full LP should I buy next in order to try to branch out?

After losing most of my actual CD collection, I went on "Mad In Japan" alone for years...mostly songs you already have though.

Maybe "In Rock"...or the MKII reunion album from 84, Perfect Strangers.

* Made In Japan :P

Edited by DR DOOM

Somebody once told me that Smoke on the Water is a reference for taking bongs.

Absolutely not. Smoke On The Water was written about a whore house that burned down and there were like 20 whores killed and Blackmore got away without a scratch and wrote the riff with no pants on.

It's about a Frank Zappa show at a hotel that burned down after someone shot a flare gun. It's all in the song lyrics.

Black Night
Speed King
Fireball
Strang Kind Of Woman
Child In Time

Woman From Tokyo

Highway Star
Space Truckin'
Burn
Stormbringer
Demons Eye
Smoke On The Water

JMO, as I prefer live albums, but I recommend you get "Made in Japan"

You can get the 2 LP original vinyl pretty reasonably. I would recommend the original Japan release which was actually titled "Live in Japan" but the original UK release is excellent as well. This Live album was originally only going to be released in Japan but they were selling so many imports here in the U.S. the record label decided to release it world wide. I first heard this on the old NYC FM station WNEW when it was only available as an import and found the import UK version at local record store and wore it out.

The Japan version was the first release of this title and it has a different cover and is called "Live" instead of "Made" but it is the same album as the later " Made in Japan" releases. The best matrix has "Porky/ Peck scratched into the run out area. I have a Japanese and UK version with this matrix and they are excellent sounding. Much better then the later Warner Brothers U.S. version IMHO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEEP-PURPLE-LIVE-IN-JAPAN-Japan-2LP-w-obi-/371283615448?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56723a5ed8

I also like to go to the Hoffman forum to hear what version other vinyl geeks like.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/quick-question-about-deep-purple-made-in-japan.113741/

Or if you really want to splurge you can buy the complete 72 Japan shows in this deluxe 9 LP box set that came out about a year ago. I have the CD version and I am thinking of buying this LP box at bonus time this year

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Made-Japan-VINYL-Deep-Purple/dp/B00I8ZHT44/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1428585250&sr=1-2&keywords=Deep+Purple+Made+in+Japan+vinyl

If you want something different that is not on your Best of album I recommend the two LP's of the 1984/85 reformed MK IIb version of band "Perfect Stranger" and "House of Blue Lights". If I had to buy one I would go for PS but HOBL is also very good IMHO.

I also think the Burn album from the Coverdale/ Hughes MK III version of the band is excellent and even though I am in the minority I also like the Tommy Bolin MK IV album "Come Taste the Band" which has a more funk feel to it then the Blackmore band albums.

Here is an excellent resource on DP releases

http://www.thehighwaystar.com/rosas/jouni/discoidx.html

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

Black Night
Speed King
Fireball
Strang Kind Of Woman
Child In Time

Woman From Tokyo

Highway Star
Space Truckin'
Burn
Stormbringer
Demons Eye
Smoke On The Water

JMO, as I prefer live albums, but I recommend you get "Made in Japan"

You can get the 2 LP original vinyl pretty reasonably. I would recommend the original Japan release which was actually titled "Live in Japan" but the original UK release is excellent as well. This Live album was originally only going to be released in Japan but they were selling so many imports here in the U.S. the record label decided to release it world wide. I first heard this on the old NYC FM station WNEW when it was only available as an import and found the import UK version at local record store and wore it out.

The Japan version was the first release of this title and it has a different cover and is called "Live" instead of "Made" but it is the same album as the later " Made in Japan" releases. The best matrix has "Porky/ Peck scratched into the run out area. I have a Japanese and UK version with this matrix and they are excellent sounding. Much better then the later Warner Brothers U.S. version IMHO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEEP-PURPLE-LIVE-IN-JAPAN-Japan-2LP-w-obi-/371283615448?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56723a5ed8

I also like to go to the Hoffman forum to hear what version other vinyl geeks like.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/quick-question-about-deep-purple-made-in-japan.113741/

Or if you really want to splurge you can buy the complete 72 Japan shows in this deluxe 9 LP box set that came out about a year ago. I have the CD version and I am thinking of buying this LP box at bonus time this year

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Made-Japan-VINYL-Deep-Purple/dp/B00I8ZHT44/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1428585250&sr=1-2&keywords=Deep+Purple+Made+in+Japan+vinyl

If you want something different that is not on your Best of album I recommend the two LP's of the 1984/85 reformed MK IIb version of band "Perfect Stranger" and "House of Blue Lights". If I had to buy one I would go for PS but HOBL is also very good IMHO.

I also think the Burn album from the Coverdale/ Hughes MK III version of the band is excellent and even though I am in the minority I also like the Tommy Bolin MK IV album "Come Taste the Band" which has a more funk feel to it then the Blackmore band albums.

Here is an excellent resource on DP releases

http://www.thehighwaystar.com/rosas/jouni/discoidx.html

Thanks for all of that. I will definitely look into them more soon. Good to know where to start. I'll probably pick up Made In Japan the next time I see it.

They are more like Top Gear presenters playing guitar.

Oh, well thats alright then! :lol: What happened to you Wasted, you used to be a lad but you're turning into a fuckin' Nigel :lol:
It's part of a plan to infiltrate Scientology and bring it down from within.

This is literally the first thing you've ever said that makes sense to me.

I sense a sort of mad profundity in almost every other thing he says, its why i love him, bless him :lol:

Oh, well thats alright then! :lol: What happened to you Wasted, you used to be a lad but you're turning into a fuckin' Nigel :lol:
It's part of a plan to infiltrate Scientology and bring it down from within.

Freeze a couple of Hollywood bank accounts and you're probably two thirds there mate.

Purple are my favourite of the ''three biggy British heavyweights with an adjective in their nomenclature'', i.e. Purple, Zep, Sabbath. They took themselves less seriously than Zeppelin and were not as ridiculous as Sabbath; they never went down the Tolkien ye olde England mythology bollocks route.

I'm partial toward their early prog albums but their discography is worth exploring, both Ian Gillan and David Coverdale take the band in interesting directions..haven't taken the time to listen to their latest album though.

In Rock and Machine Head are my favorites