Do you think Axl gets off on watching us nutjobs clammering for some activity?

Towelie

He strikes me as the kind of guy who would derive pleasure from giving people exactly the opposite of what they want. We want albums, new music, an active band that functions normally.... Axl loves that he has the power to withhold that. Part of me believes if people stopped giving a shit, he may actually feel compelled to do something productive. But all the while he has people up in his ass freaking out over a tweet, why does he need to try harder?

This picture sums up how I see Axl's attitude for the last 5 years:

Why-Try-Harder.jpeg

Edited by Towelie

I have no doubts he shadows MYGNR from time to time with a mixture of amusement and confusion, he obviously is comfortable with the timescale, it is AxlTime and he intends to release something else, shit happened and Axl doesn't adjust well but he got a very impressive and no doubt cathartic record out eventually even if the band he had worked so hard to acquire was more or less on the rocks (again). Now we have another solid band that's fell apart with Bumblefoot's departure and the other guys probably sick of the waiting at this point to do something else except 5-7 CD songs and classic material, maybe dusting off 1 or 2 oldnew or old old songs per tour and no jamming or reciprocal ideas with the mysterious one.

It's all on him and he's sabotaged his own ambitions several times now, I dunno if he finds that funny since he has unlimited cash and touring offers but it's kinda sad to me with the talent he still has and the personnel.

I just don't think Axl sees it as we see it, and we have a shit ton of patience and whackjob level of interest for the return we receive, 1 album in over a decade and no signs or reports of Axl even considering jack shit new apart from one comment. Remember his lead player loyal as hell and passionate until it broke his spirit said he didn't even hear anything about Atlas despite playing a solo on it years back... I just don't think Axl understands he is approaching his mid-50's and has not even started to make another record despite the apparent hoarding of old-new member;s contributions and his own now ancient ideas... it might crack him up and be a latent hobby for him but I'm sure he still feels for that old vision and lost opportunities he's let paddle by. There's still a small amount of time left to chase them but it's gonna be fucking tough and maybe already decayed with the BBF issue.

Edited by RandallFlagg

It's kind of what a primo narcissist would do.

But I don't think Axl is, he's shown empathy for animals and Slash.

I think the delays are born of the pressure created by keeping the name, both for the label and Axl inside an industry and fan base that just wants what it wants.

The label might holding on to it last GNR release for a possible reunion. Wouldn't GNR get a better deal selling the reunion to another label?

Maybe a Very Best of GNR is what the label wants with a reunion tour?

But what if your ambition is to release albums 10 years late?

He strikes me as the kind of guy who would derive pleasure from giving people exactly the opposite of what they want. We want albums, new music, an active band that functions normally.... Axl loves that he has the power to withhold that. Part of me believes if people stopped giving a shit, he may actually feel compelled to do something productive. But all the while he has people up in his ass freaking out over a tweet, why does he need to try harder?

This picture sums up how I see Axl's attitude for the last 5 years:

Why-Try-Harder.jpeg

ha, my avatar was made about this fat bastards face

yeah, fair points

Edited by Strange Broue

I think he tries to avoid it but a lot of entertainers will ignore the good stuff said about them and hone in on the negatives. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been on here but I thought forum admin has a way of catching people who try to create multiple accounts.

I actively don't want Axl to make anymore music...

Why? I seem to recall you quite liking CD, at least in parts.

I did but i liked them in a way I like things that are like, in the mid tier or lower tier of my taste or musical preferences, if that makes sense? They're OK, they're good in and of themselves but they weren't worthy of being GnR songs i don't think and further more the level of quality has been steadily degrading since the Lies EP so, y'know, who wants to watch this fat pudding just get worse and worse and worse and slowly peter out surrounded by a band thats not resembling the bunch of Rudies they first were, they've had their day, there's no mileage of any value left in em so...y'know, who cares?

The 15 year wait for Chi Dem did it, there's no coming back from that sort of monsterous fuckery. 15 years is a long time man. Thats a good chunk of life, this shit isn't inexhaustible, you have an allotted time where your talent shines and you're the shit and then it's over and the value of GnR nostalgia is not equivalent to that of bands like The Stones etc simply because they are not as iconic, didn't do as much work and as such don't occupy as beloved a place in peoples hearts.

Put simply, there was nothing new of any value in there and the few songs i did like i liked because they were oddly reminiscent, in some kinda minor way, of old Guns songs and, coupled with Axls voice over em it was kind of like a little nostalgia. Anything that was a move in a new direction was absolutely painfully dire and like...there's just no value in it on any level.

I actively don't want Axl to make anymore music...

Why? I seem to recall you quite liking CD, at least in parts.

I did but i liked them in a way I like things that are like, in the mid tier or lower tier of my taste or musical preferences, if that makes sense? They're OK, they're good in and of themselves but they weren't worthy of being GnR songs i don't think and further more the level of quality has been steadily degrading since the Lies EP so, y'know, who wants to watch this fat pudding just get worse and worse and worse and slowly peter out surrounded by a band thats not resembling the bunch of Rudies they first were, they've had their day, there's no mileage of any value left in em so...y'know, who cares?

The 15 year wait for Chi Dem did it, there's no coming back from that sort of monsterous fuckery. 15 years is a long time man. Thats a good chunk of life, this shit isn't inexhaustible, you have an allotted time where your talent shines and you're the shit and then it's over and the value of GnR nostalgia is not equivalent to that of bands like The Stones etc simply because they are not as iconic, didn't do as much work and as such don't occupy as beloved a place in peoples hearts.

Put simply, there was nothing new of any value in there and the few songs i did like i liked because they were oddly reminiscent, in some kinda minor way, of old Guns songs and, coupled with Axls voice over em it was kind of like a little nostalgia. Anything that was a move in a new direction was absolutely painfully dire and like...there's just no value in it on any level.

Hmmm, I can't help but feel that's a bit harsh.

Yes, fifteen years is obscene but I actually respected that CD wasn't trying to be AFD, like so many of Slash's solo material still aspires to be. At least Axl doesn't think that he can re-create the magic of Appetite by pounding on a cowbell, playing some power chords and adding some bluesy pentatonic runs like it's still 1986. At least CD tried to do something different, irrespective of whether you thought it was successful in its attempt (I actually really liked some of the songs that were considered by many to be un-GNR, like Shacklers for example).

Trying ain't enough though is it? I'm not anti-something new, in fact I'm pro it, it has to be good though. And if you wanna carry the Guns name well then you're setting yourself up for a fall.

You can over evaluate these things and will them to be more than they are because of an affection for Guns n Roses but a piece of shit is a piece of shit I'm afraid. You can look at it and look at it and look at it and try and inflate what value is there, often not even conciously, a lot of people on this forum do it i feel, a lot of people run with it to the point of mental illness i feel actually :lol:

But that ain't gonna change what it is. It's a 2 and a half out of 5 star album.

Edited by Len B'stard

Trying ain't enough though is it? I'm not anti-something new, in fact I'm pro it, it has to be good though. And if you wanna carry the Guns name well then you're setting yourself up for a fall.

You can over evaluate these things and will them to be more than they are because of an affection for Guns n Roses but a piece of shit is a piece of shit I'm afraid. You can look at it and look at it and look at it and try and inflate what value is there, often not even conciously, a lot of people on this forum do it i feel, a lot of people run with it to the point of mental illness i feel actually :lol:

But that ain't gonna change what it is. It's a 2 and a half out of 5 star album.

Fuck no 2 out of 5. The album is timeless. 4 out of 5. (you don't even like Catcher bro)

Besides, Chinese is not for people like you. You don't really care for UYI. It ended with Appetite and Lies for you and Chinese is something else. You hate Queen I think as well so that's game over.

It's more Axl's take on it obviously and based on what you've said, you don't really want more Axl in your Gn'R and with no Slash, Izzy, or Duff it's hopeless.

The 4 out of 5 was not accurate. 5 out of 5 for creating an album that is it's own thing. Sounds like a freak accident. In a good way. No one has created an album like Chinese. No one.

Edited by Rovim

I would honestly rank Better, Shacklers and Catcher up there amongst anything on Appetite or Illusions. It is simply not true that I have over-inflated the value of those songs due to an "affection for GNR" as I didn't even become a fan of the band until I bought Chinese in 2008.

Edited by Towelie

Besides, Chinese is not for people like you.

Excuse me? :lol:

You don't really care for UYI. It ended with Appetite and Lies for you and Chinese is something else. You hate Queen I think as well so that's game over.

No, it didn't end with Lies and Appetite for me, in fact i love both the Illusions albums. And i don't hate Queen, i just know them to be a shit band.

It's more Axl's take on it obviously and based on what you've said, you don't really want more Axl in your Gn'R and with no Slash, Izzy, or Duff it's hopeless.

No, i think they are all fat businessmen that have had their day and didn't do much even when it was their day. By virtue of pettiness and indolence.

I would honestly rank Better, Shacklers and Catcher up there amongst anything on Appetite or Illusions. It is simply not true that I have over-inflated the value of those songs due to an "affection for GNR" as I didn't even become a fan of the band until I bought Chinese in 2008.

I didn't mean you personally, was speaking broadly about the fanbase. Better could fit well into the post Appetite/Lies era, I'll give you that. Shacklers is an fuckin' embarassment, Shacklers is less than zero on the scale and Catcher is musically and melodically pleasing to a point but lyrically and content-wise, again, embarassing.

Edited by Len B'stard

Nope. Don't think he does. Probably upsets the dude reading what some of you so-called fans say and write about the poor guy. It's lame and you should all just stay away from here if you've got nothing nice to say. Plus, Axl thinks the internet is the "big gigantic garbage can" man...

Edited by Crowebar

Are we to stop anyone making stuff once they lost it though. Slash would have no records out past GNR. No Nowl after Oasis. Artists go off on tangents. Is there anything more pretentious than Imagine. Great but shut up you don't want your roller, heroin and bitches?

• 3 weeks later...

I think the delays are born of the pressure created by keeping the name, both for the label and Axl inside an industry and fan base that just wants what it wants.

The label might holding on to it last GNR release for a possible reunion. Wouldn't GNR get a better deal selling the reunion to another label?

Some people see life as a game. Some see it as a war. Axl has adopted the bunker mentality. Its really obligatory from his standpoint. Sometimes they really are out to get you so I see where he's coming from. Its kind of the most rock n roll fuck you thing he can do at this point- keep touring without releasing anything.

You don't really care for UYI. It ended with Appetite and Lies for you and Chinese is something else. You hate Queen I think as well so that's game over.

No, it didn't end with Lies and Appetite for me, in fact i love both the Illusions albums. And i don't hate Queen, i just know them to be a shit band.

Did you ever hear that story about when Freddie Mercury stopped just short of beating Sid Vicious ass?

Some people see life as a game. Some see it as a war. Axl has adopted the bunker mentality. Its really obligatory from his standpoint. Sometimes they really are out to get you so I see where he's coming from. Its kind of the most rock n roll fuck you thing he can do at this point- keep touring without releasing anything.

Did you ever hear that story about when Freddie Mercury stopped just short of beating Sid Vicious ass?

I have, yes. Not that thats much of an achievement, there are 9 year old girls out here today that could fuck Sid Vicious up :lol: Despite that i feel the story is most probably bullshit. Chiefly because Sid Vicious was never at those sessions because he was in hospital with Hepatitis but it's a funny story, the Simon Ferocious tale :lol:

I've never got into Queen as a band but I see the theatrical side and similar scope to both bands. Queen greatest hits is fine. Under Pressure with Bowie is epic. Funniest thing is I saw Freddie do Barcelona live on TV and that night I gelled my hair back. But in the morning I was like nah. These are the Days of Our Live also hit me. Like Duran Durans Ordinary Day.

GNR should cover Big Bottomed Girls.