Was Guns N' Roses the Limp Bizkit of the '80s-early '90s?

Dr. Who

They didn't die out. That's the point. Turn on rock radio, you'll still hear any of a half-dozen GNR songs. I can't remember the last time I heard a Limp Bizkit song anywhere.

Terrible thread, but I expect nothing else from the creator.

Turn on rock radio and you'll hear GNR.

Turn on whatever the fuck genre LB is radio and you'll hear LB.

Turn on relevant music radio and you'll hear neither.

Where's GNR's lasting influence on music? Where are all of the bands that were influenced by GNR and sound like them?

"relevant music"

oh man

Edited by sweetness
  • Like 3

There are sjmilarities, yes, or rather parrallels...but only very broad ones you could draw, to say one is a version of the other years later is complete rubbish though. What, cuz they were big and then suddenly weren't after a bit? Uh, welcome to the story of most fuckin' successful bands in the world.

• Like 1

GNR had nothing to do with Limp Bizkit.

GNR was respected by the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, U2, etc. GNR was perceived as the successor of the Doors, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, etc.

Limp Bizkit was a joke, absolute crap. It's never been respected by anybody with good musical taste, even when they were at the top in the charts.

• Like 1

Both bands went away, but nobody really cared when LB came back. And as big as LB was at their peak, still not convinced they could fill stadiums around the world as GNR could. I'm not sure anyone would argue that LB was the biggest band in the world at any point during their tenure, I'm not sure anyone would argue against GNR being the biggest band in the world from 1991-1992. Finally, few people these days will deny that they were ever fans of GNR; I know a ton of people who look back and can't believe they were ever a fan of LB.

I hated LB the minute I heard them; I hate almost any band who depends on a cover to launch/fuel their popularity. I couldn't believe that Axl considered them "fun." Up until that point I agreed with almost every artist Axl endorsed or mentioned himself being a fan. LB, for me, epitomized everything that was wrong with pop/rock music at the time. LB, Creed, and Korn, all bands I wish would just stop in the late 90s early 2000s. It took some time, but eventually I got what I asked for.

• Like 1

They didn't die out. That's the point. Turn on rock radio, you'll still hear any of a half-dozen GNR songs. I can't remember the last time I heard a Limp Bizkit song anywhere.

Where's GNR's lasting influence on music? Where are all of the bands that were influenced by GNR and sound like them?

"relevant music"

oh man

bacardi is the time travelling hipster, contantly bringing up this "relevant" thing...

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/time-traveling-hipster

anyway it would be good if a word filter applied to: "relevant music" and change to " hipster music"

Both bands went away, but nobody really cared when LB came back. And as big as LB was at their peak, still not convinced they could fill stadiums around the world as GNR could. I'm not sure anyone would argue that LB was the biggest band in the world at any point during their tenure, I'm not sure anyone would argue against GNR being the biggest band in the world from 1991-1992. Finally, few people these days will deny that they were ever fans of GNR; I know a ton of people who look back and can't believe they were ever a fan of LB.

I hated LB the minute I heard them; I hate almost any band who depends on a cover to launch/fuel their popularity. I couldn't believe that Axl considered them "fun." Up until that point I agreed with almost every artist Axl endorsed or mentioned himself being a fan. LB, for me, epitomized everything that was wrong with pop/rock music at the time. LB, Creed, and Korn, all bands I wish would just stop in the late 90s early 2000s. It took some time, but eventually I got what I asked for.

so you hate nu metal then, "cool"

Probably because the age gap between you and the y generation

Edited by Strange Broue

"relevant music"

oh man

bacardi is the time travelling hipster, contantly bringing up this "relevant" thing...

anyway it would be good if a word filter applied to: "relevant music" and change to " hipster music"

so you hate nu metal then, "cool"

Probably because the age gap between you and the y generation

I thought Lincoln Park was okay, they had a few decent tunes, but for the most part, yeah, the whole nu metal fad wasn't something I bought into. It was all heavily rhythm-based with very little concern for melody. I came into music when bands like U2, GNR, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden were ruling the radio dial. The bands that were coming out in the late 90s/early 2000s just couldn't compete.

I think, for the most part and with a few exceptions, my position on nu Metal eventually became common place. Most of the bands that came out during this era have fallen by the wayside.

• Like 1

I haven't read through the rest of this thread, because I cba to. But this is a load of shenanigans. Just because you don't hear GNR influenced bands on the radio stations you listen to, and blogs/site you keep up with, doesn't mean that no new bands are influenced or sound like GNR. Sorry man, one of your worst, most narrow sighted posts I've read.

As far as hearing LB on the radio? For every time 100 GNR songs that are played on a rock station, the may play 2 LB songs. LB is played on rock stations, just not often... cause you know, who gives a fuck about LB?

No offense to LB fans, I agree with the positive things people have stated about them in this thread. But seriously... overall GNR vs. LB? GNR wins hands down every time for most people.
Edited by OmarBradley

Nu and "sport" metal were a dark time indeed for heavy music.

very dark. i was about to turn 14 when chocolate starfish released, my best friend at the time got the album the day it came out and he would play that album non stop and i absolutely hated it.

i think you can draw some parallels between the two bands but im not sure you can say they were really the same.

I think I was 18-20 or something and I hate them

And you always hated them? It makes sense, because I was still a teenager and found them to be the 'cool' band to follow at the time, girls would go crazy with the songs, and I had to follow the pussy -- if you know what I mean. When I grew up I realized their music was horrible shit.

To be honest, I considered and still consider myself a Wes Borland fan. I still admire his drawing skills and paintings. He's a pro.

I think I was 18-20 or something and I hate them

And you always hated them? It makes sense, because I was still a teenager and found them to be the 'cool' band to follow at the time, girls would go crazy with the songs, and I had to follow the pussy -- if you know what I mean. When I grew up I realized their music was horrible shit.

To be honest, I considered and still consider myself a Wes Borland fan. I still admire his drawing skills and paintings. He's a pro.

It was kind of funny. At the time I was very into rock and I started to hear rap too for a short time in my life. Wu-Tang, Master P, Dre and stuff. LB were very famous and everbody my age liked them but for me they wasn't the real deal. Too me they weren't real rock, nor they were these gangster rappers despite their collaboration with Method Man for one song. So too me they were just posers.

My favourite Q&A from the AMA Fred Durst did back in 2013:

Q. How many red hats do you own? Do they come in backwards or do you have to turn them around yourself?

A. I have a line of exotic woman to turn each one around for me. If they over rotate then they don't get a new swimsuit.

How old were you when Limp Bizkit was at its peak?

I was 6-8 years old. My older sister actually liked them at the time (along with the Backstreet Boys, Nsync, 98 degrees, Jessica Simpson, I think,) and kinda corrupted me in "liking" those guys. In fact, when I was cleaning our house, I found a copy of the "Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavored Water" album in a box full of old CDs. When I showed it to her, I told her "What the heck were we thinking?" and we just laughed it off.

I'll be honest, though, Limp Bizkit do have some ok songs. My Way, for most wrestling fans, was probably the best Wrestlemania theme song ever, because that song, to most people, best represented the tone/emotion of one of the most prolific era in wrestling which was WWF's Attitude Era. As for major staying power on radio? Definitely GNR has the better staying power for years to come, not a doubt about that. The comparison, in terms of success, is kinda lacking a bit where GNR absolutely crushes them in every way in their peak.

"relevant music"

oh man

Oh I'm quite familiar

• 2 weeks later...

How old were you when Limp Bizkit was at its peak?

I'll be honest, though, Limp Bizkit do have some ok songs. My Way, for most wrestling fans, was probably the best Wrestlemania theme song ever, because that song, to most people, best represented the tone/emotion of one of the most prolific era in wrestling which was WWF's Attitude Era.

I have to disagree. It was interesting at the time, but I don't think it is worth rewatching. I thought post-attitude pre-wwe was much better, as far as the in ring action goes. But, I think whatever you grew up with, whatever you were seeing when it was still "magic" is what you remember and love. I first started watching in the era of the mega powers. It has never and will never be better than that. A few things I've learned from WWF and GNR, don't get hung up on the past and wait for the glory days to return. Reunions are never as great as you thought they'd be. The hall of fame is meaningless. On a related note, does anyone else think the "Macho Man" was wrestling's Axl Rose? The similarities are many.