The vicious cycle

There's definitely space for doubt. It could just slip away.

From the Revolver interview a few key points to notice: (May 29, 2014)

"there is still much work ahead for Guns N’ Roses, both onstage and, he reveals, IN THE STUDIO. So while he was happy to accept his Lifetime Achievement award, he also makes it clear that he is still FAR FROM DONE."

"I just feel like, you know, it’s been a long, slow process beyond comprehension with Chinese Democracy, but it’s still moving forward and there’s a lot more that we hope to do."

Edited by Rovim

the majority on mygnr forums don't like Chinese 1. so why would axl waste time releasing a second Chinese album nobody online or in real world will like anyway?

vicious cycle continues without Chinese 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Axl is like the Bo Jackson of rock and roll. Could of been a legend, but instead is full of unrealized potential. Bo was great, but you would have to be a moron to pick him for your football team over guys like Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, Emmit Smith, and Walter Payton. Just like you would be an idiot to pick Axl or Guns n' Roses over AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Van Halen, and The Rolling Stones.

the majority on mygnr forums don't like Chinese 1. so why would axl waste time releasing a second Chinese album nobody online or in real world will like anyway?

vicious cycle continues without Chinese 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Many people like CD, I am one of them. I would probably also like CD2, so your point isn't true. But you have to ask yourself "why should fans get excited about music created by ex band members?" Even if it is good, they are no longer in the band. CD 2 at this point is like Starship releasing old Jefferson Airplane leftovers.

It's just he said he wanted to even after years of negativity. Ultimately that's not why he puts out a record.

Also what other option does he have? Try to record a hard rock AFD style record with Dj to try and please the fans that don't like CD? It's not going to work out that well.

I think the deeper flaw in CD is that although AFD had that retro 70s feel and older rock fans bought into it, CD has a retro 90s flavours but I don't think fans of Nirvana, RATM, NIN, Korn are interested in CD. It's not like look Axl is back and flying the flag for Alt rock. The 70s fans are like wtf.

If it was a completely new band not Axl just a band out of Texas with CD people would be like its the industrial GNR it's okay to like!!! Interviews would be like "we have deep roots in the 70s but we loved the 90s and grunge and its just comes naturally to us"

I would expect there to be more bands like this who were fans of GNR, Faith No More, Nirvana, RATM coming up.

• Like 1

There is nothing modern about CD. Why do its defenders insist on turning it into a 'Appetite hard rock old school vs modern' debate. When CD was released in 2008, it was as dated as if Axl had decided to make a hair rock retro record. Unless you believe Korn were a 'new band' in 2008?

• Like 2

There is nothing modern about CD. Why do its defenders insist on turning it into a 'Appetite hard rock old school vs modern' debate. When CD was released in 2008, it was as dated as if Axl had decided to make a hair rock retro record. Unless you believe Korn were a 'new band' in 2008?

Exactafuckingmundo.

• Like 1

There was nothing modern about AFD at the time either. Well it has the same modern as in recorded in the 80s as CD recorded in 00s.

It's like the new retro.

But no one cares about retro 90s. Yet. But when AFD hit was like right place right time. Finally a real 70s band. I don't think people are like that with CD, finally a 90s record we all miss.

But in some ways it's a very GNR thing to do. Even though some think what makes it GNR is the 70s rock. Maybe mixed with 80s bits. So when do you stop taking on influences?

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

There was nothing modern about AFD at the time either. Well it has the same modern as in recorded in the 80s as CD recorded in 00s.

It's like the new retro.

But no one cares about retro 90s. Yet. But when AFD hit was like right place right time. Finally a real 70s band. I don't think people are like that with CD, finally a 90s record we all miss.

But in some ways it's a very GNR thing to do. Even though some think what makes it GNR is the 70s rock. Maybe mixed with 80s bits. So when do you stop taking on influences?

What 70s rock bands do you think GnR sounded like?

Aerosmiths, ACDC, Skynyrd, Stones, Zepp, Pistols, Elton, Hanoi Rocks quite a bit.

Depends what you mean by sound like I know. I think a 70s style band in the 80s is a better way to put it.

I listened to Guns and hair bands and they stood out for their 70s ness. Then I listen to early Aero or DC. Okay so this is where comes from kind of more. But the sound of AFD I kind of felt was like Rust in Peace, they had the sound of a thrash band. So that brought it up to date.

But there were a lot of 80s rock bands which sounded 80s. Guns sounded like the 70s in the 80s. Their thing was so 70s. 70s style, motifs, song structures, long solos. Purely the sound of AFD is like early Zepp mixed with ACDC/Ramones.

Lies has an Exile or Some Girls vibe.

UYI has an 80s feel that comes through on the Elton inspired songs but guitar sound sounds like Nevermind the Boolocks. There's still a lot of 70s elements like on Bad Obsession or the Stonesy piano that no one in 90s was really doing.

I wouldn't say the sound is very Zepp but the song structures or prog elements on Locomotive or Coma. Achilles Last Stand etc. There's still that southern rock thing floating around. 70s and 80s in the 90s.

Nov Rain is 80s Elton meets Layla but played by a punk rock band.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

I've read the old threads on mygnr and many say they don't like Chinese cause it doesn't measure up to appetite

I love the Illusion albums and they don't measure up to Appetite. I don't like Chinese Democracy because it's not very good.

Well, if there was any cycle, it clearly ended with Chinese Democracy. Axl is done, not the new album.

Nothing ended. Axl still makes money touring as Gn'R. Axl still got a finished album that he showed interest in releasing. Just because Gn'R took some time off doesn't mean shit.

You think he won't tour south america again? lol.

Even Axl can't tour with no new material forever, and that's where the money's at. Besides, I believe he will release the second half of his 10 year project. It will be insane not to. :awesomeface:

This raises the question would a new album actually mean bigger audiences for their tour?

NO! Haha! Anyone who thinks that is insane. The amount of new concert goers he'd gain by releasing a new album will not offset the number of people who A) have never had any desire to go see a Slashless GnR or B) who have seen Slashless GnR and are over it and will no longer attend fake GnR shows. I'd bet or every new fan they've gained since they've lost about 10 since the album came out. A new fake GnR album won't curb that trend,

Axl has delivered so far so I think he'll do it. CD proved Axl is resilient.

Axl has delieverd so far........ CD proved Axl is resilient.......... Wow! Only on a GnR board would fans give the artist credit for such a triumphant effort.

Axl has delieverd so far........ CD proved Axl is resilient.......... Wow! Only on a GnR board would fans give the artist credit for such a triumphant effort.

He did deliver. It was artistically triumphant. Resilient in the sense that it took him years and he described the process as a nightmare. Still, eventually it was out, and he said that the music is exactly what he wanted it to be on Chinese. (not his exact words, but close)

I think the real issue that stands in the way of Axl releasing new music under GNR is a lack of inspiration and faith in the bands lineup 2009-2014. He clearly had no interest in collaborating with Ron or using any of his ideas for the band. And he obviously wasn't that inspired by the batch of songs DJ gave him. I think he saw this lineup exclusively as a touring band and now they've whored every market to diminishing ticket sales, the touring is over and he's left with a band who 1) had nothing to do with the creation of the already existing material originally earmarked for CD2 and 2) he has no interest in creating new music with.

I think a new album showcasing the talents of Ron-DJ-Richard was never on Axl's agenda.

Unless Finck or BH are willing to return to the fold, I see it as curtains for NuGnr.

I think the real issue that stands in the way of Axl releasing new music under GNR is a lack of inspiration and faith in the bands lineup 2009-2014. He clearly had no interest in collaborating with Ron or using any of his ideas for the band. And he obviously wasn't that inspired by the batch of songs DJ gave him. I think he saw this lineup exclusively as a touring band and now they've whored every market to diminishing ticket sales, the touring is over and he's left with a band who 1) had nothing to do with the creation of the already existing material originally earmarked for CD2 and 2) he has no interest in creating new music with.

I think a new album showcasing the talents of Ron-DJ-Richard was never on Axl's agenda.

Unless Finck or BH are willing to return to the fold, I see it as curtains for NuGnr.

The thing is that Axl seems to be very much a binary thinker. He's either all in or all out.

For the last few years he seems "all out" when it comes to writing vocals, there could be/have been interesting stuff in from the replacements over the years but right now he just does not seem willing or able to work with it. He's been here before when he fired Youth for trying to get him to sing over some of the recordings he'd heard. He just didn't feel ready.

Maybe CD has laid him to waste creatively i.e. "Don't Know, Don't Care". We all know Axl's periods of personal adjustment are decades longer than most so it could be some time yet before we hear anything from him.

The thing is that Axl seems to be very much a binary thinker. He's either all in or all out.

For the last few years he seems "all out" when it comes to writing vocals, there could be/have been interesting stuff in from the replacements over the years but right now he just does not seem willing or able to work with it. He's been here before when he fired Youth for trying to get him to sing over some of the recordings he'd heard. He just didn't feel ready.

Maybe CD has laid him to waste creatively i.e. "Don't Know, Don't Care". We all know Axl's periods of personal adjustment are decades longer than most so it could be some time yet before we hear anything from him.

But he talked about CD ll after that comment and showed his intentions to try and get a finished album released. Can take years though, I agree.

Edited by Rovim

But he talked about CD ll after that comment and showed his intentions to try and get a finished album released. Can take years though, I agree.

Once again he has been talking about CD II since 2001. In what way words like " don´t know, don´t care", " definite maybe", " look seriously in that regard" show a strong determination from Axl´s part?

And I don´t blame him after the nightmare that making CD was for him. And the lack of interest CD got from the general public

I think he had a plan to release II on down the road. But first he toured CD into the ground. He toured until Chi dem, SOD, TIL, Better are staples. Seeing as CD II is done that explains why they aren't recording completely new stuff.

He did, he talked trilogies and all in between. It would seem that if he is working on CD II its as a solo artist.

Personally, I think that would be great.