The 1990s

Snake-Pit

Probably had better music under Stalin. Look at what W. inspired. Rage against z machine, Evil Empire. All dictators inspire the best art. Obama just load prescription pills and dudes in tights. But props on setting up Iran. Jeb is getting his tan ready to hit up the Hooters vote.

im afraid there is no art under dictators, just different types of state propaganda. sometimes very talented propaganda, like Leni Riefenstahl's films. but yes they do inspire some heavy emotional shitstorms :lol:

Edited by netcat

Shostakovich kissed Stalin's ass like a motherfucker, but when the dictator kicked the bucket, he said he always "hated and despised Stalin" and there were lots of hidden anti-stalinist motives in his works. pretty fly

And these people looking back fondly on Britney Spears and the fuckin' Spice Girls want fuckin' shooting as far as I'm concerned :lol: In the face, so their mothers can't have an open casket.

Len, here's my plea to why I don't deserve to be shot in the face:

At the height of their success, I was aged 7-8 years old. I had begun to discover pop music and at the time, they were really all that we could get. I enjoyed the Spice Girls because of the energy their music had. I loved singing their innuendo-filled lyrics and dancing round my living room. They dressed glamourously, which was completely alien to the territory where I spent my formative years. I took a lot of joy from the Spice Girls. They were funny and had strong personalities and didn't seem too tied down to behaving a certain way to not offend anyone.

I'm not going to argue that they were good musically, but as far as being nostalgic for those times, I remember summers playing out in the garden that seeme to last forever, and Spice Girls was very much a cultural attachment to that. So don't shoot me in the face for having fond memories of my childhood passions, however naff they were.

Good for you girl!!!

Now keep that spirit forever.

Don't ever become a grumpy "older" person and sit around griping out the youth out there and how their generations sucks compared to yours.

Back when I was a kid, music was "real" music with artists who cared and poured their heart and soul into everything. Actors were actors, not pretenders. We worked harder and had more respect. Everything was better. Blah, blah, blah.

Every decade is basically the same - from the good to the bad - with just the names and styles changed.

• Like 1

And these people looking back fondly on Britney Spears and the fuckin' Spice Girls want fuckin' shooting as far as I'm concerned :lol: In the face, so their mothers can't have an open casket.

Len, here's my plea to why I don't deserve to be shot in the face:

At the height of their success, I was aged 7-8 years old. I had begun to discover pop music and at the time, they were really all that we could get. I enjoyed the Spice Girls because of the energy their music had. I loved singing their innuendo-filled lyrics and dancing round my living room. They dressed glamourously, which was completely alien to the territory where I spent my formative years. I took a lot of joy from the Spice Girls. They were funny and had strong personalities and didn't seem too tied down to behaving a certain way to not offend anyone.

I'm not going to argue that they were good musically, but as far as being nostalgic for those times, I remember summers playing out in the garden that seeme to last forever, and Spice Girls was very much a cultural attachment to that. So don't shoot me in the face for having fond memories of my childhood passions, however naff they were.

Good for you girl!!!

Now keep that spirit forever.

Don't ever become a grumpy "older" person and sit around griping out the youth out there and how their generations sucks compared to yours.

Back when I was a kid, music was "real" music with artists who cared and poured their heart and soul into everything. Actors were actors, not pretenders. We worked harder and had more respect. Everything was better. Blah, blah, blah.

Every decade is basically the same - from the good to the bad - with just the names and styles changed.

Im a 90s kid too :lol:

• Like 2

I think the 90's marked a change in the music industry where record labels recognised a certain formula in which they could pump out disposable pop acts with a limited shelf life and reap massive returns with little investment.

This was done to the detriment of geneuinely talented artists who perhaps required a bit more nurturing and investment. The industry opted for the quick buck though and it become harder and harder for singer/songwriter/bands to break through as a result. I know I am simplifying this here but this seemed to happen side by side with peak MTV/The Internet/MP3's and generation ADHD with the attention span of a fucking goldfish.

I suppose you could pinpoint Pete Watermans (think that's his name) Hit Factory in the 80's/early 90's and acts like Kyle Minogue, Rick Astley, Steps etc which was then built upon by the likes of Simon Cowell/Louis Walsh and all those fucking idol style tv shows.

The music industry seems to have been massively focused on these kinds of acts over the past 20 years now to the point of saturating the airwaves and charts like never before.

The good music is still out there but it has been sidelined due to the above.

• Like 1

I think they've had the formula down since the late 50s, its just every so often a real movement of the people comes along and throws them off until they can assimilate it into the mainstream, which is usually just a matter of time.

Well yeah, true but something about the dominance of that formula seems to have changed in the past 20 years or so.

And it is not even due to the decline in Rock leaving a vacuum that Pop filled. Hip-Hop/Rap/R&B seems to have lost something in the past 20 years too. That edge you know?

It has all become formulaic safe shit with only a few exceptions.

I think they've had the formula down since the late 50s, its just every so often a real movement of the people comes along and throws them off until they can assimilate it into the mainstream, which is usually just a matter of time.

Well yeah, true but something about the dominance of that formula seems to have changed in the past 20 years or so.

And it is not even due to the decline in Rock leaving a vacuum that Pop filled. Hip-Hop/Rap/R&B seems to have lost something in the past 20 years too. That edge you know?

It has all become formulaic safe shit with only a few exceptions.

This. You listen to the Top 20 songs on the charts or whatever and it's all produced for radio and fuckheads in clubs. There's nothing which makes you go "wait, what was that?". Even the popsy shit of decades past had better songwriters and production so that every song didn't sound like it was recorded by the same session musicians in the same studio by the same producer.
  • Like 2

Shit changes for sure. Video games probably bigger and more exciting than rock music. Call of Duty has 50 million pre orders.

But you change too or not enough. You can't expect to like Taylor Swift when you 37, player. Bieber is entertaining as he fucks up pretty hard but are really going to love the album.

Music has become more diverse maybe. People have iPods of eclectic tunes. I agonised over buying a cd. So it became more of a big deal. Now just download it and its more background music to life than some sort of sonic movie I'm going to experience. Ah, I've done my back again. Not to worry I got vics a plenty.

Edited by wasted