The 1990s

Snake-Pit

Taking pictures of what you are about to eat and posting it on line is huge. It's like the new rock n roll.

With the logical progression being taking pictures of what your food looks like after you've eaten it and posting it online! That'll be like the hip hop revolution, y'know, holding up a mirror and showing some of the ugliness of the world back to it. I think we should get Weetabix in to sponsor, i feel an art film coming on! A profound piece about the cycle of life and the overall meaning of existence. We'll call it 'Everything Turns To Shit'.

You be Scorcese, I'll be Pillegi!

Edited by Len B'stard

You can't deny music sucks now. I mean who are the big, non-pop artists that are ingrained in the present cultural mindset and critically acclaimed since mid 2000's?

That's much less of a factor these days, the increasing influence of the internet means that most of us are paying less and less attention to the mainstream media outlets anyway, since we can gather online with like-minded individuals. I can't tell you the last time I picked up a Rolling Stone or watched MTV. But we're still digging new bands, new albums, and more or less only frequent sites that support whatever scene we're into, whether the mainstream endorses it or not.

You can't deny music sucks now. I mean who are the big, non-pop artists that are ingrained in the present cultural mindset and critically acclaimed since mid 2000's?

That's much less of a factor these days, the increasing influence of the internet means that most of us are paying less and less attention to the mainstream media outlets anyway, since we can gather online with like-minded individuals. I can't tell you the last time I picked up a Rolling Stone or watched MTV. But we're still digging new bands, new albums, and more or less only frequent sites that support whatever scene we're into, whether the mainstream endorses it or not.

Not me, I've just stopped listening to new music. For many years too. Not cuz i relied on an industry, i just relied on CD shops...and there ain't none no more. In fact i think the only way i really get new music is someone on here reccomending me shit.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

Not me, I've just stopped listening to new music. For many years too. Not cuz i relied on an industry, i just relied on CD shops...and there ain't none no more. In fact i think the only way i really get new music is someone on here reccomending me shit.

Word of mouth is important, probably more so now that the mainstream is closed off to almost all but the most corporate backed new artists.

Times haven't changed....YOU have. You're old. You miss your youth.

There is an element of truth in that, which we all do, but I do believe you can objectively see that 'certain aspects' of a given century are weaker (or for that matter, superior) than another decade. If we eulogize the 1970s Heavyweight division for example, e.g. Ali, Foreman, Frazier, at the expense of the current 200 plus pounders, nobody is going to say ''you are just being nostalgic and miss your childhood'' as there is an obvious difference in class. And can anyone claim that Hollywood blockbusters are better now, than they were when Return of the Jedi, the Indiana Jones trilogy, Batman, etc. came out? I do not think that argument could be made in the slightest. Same thing with rock music (which, as a genre, seems to have burnt itself out at somepoint after Cobain). Conversely, I think Tennis is better than it was now, than in the 1990s - I think we are going through something of a 'golden age of tennis'.

This 100% exactly. Yeah, its not always about nostalgia. Its not always a matter of missing your youth. Sometimes somethings were just undistiputably better and I agree with your examples.