The Self Employment Thread

Gracii Guns

Paid HMRC today for some freelance work I did while working full-time. This freelance work took my salary over the student loan threshold. It was only 3 invoices which amounted to under £200 profit. HMRC worked out that I would then owe £300 to my student loan.

I would have been better off not freelancing at all for the last 2 years.

At least I won't have to pay any of my student loan back next year.

Everyone's saying I need to increase my rates, so come July I'm going to give myself a hefty pay rise. Not decided by how much yet, possibly 50%.

My student loan is paid off in August. Woop!! :D

You know, the more you mention how well you're doing, the more likely I'll be pitching to you for investment. :P

Congratulations though. :)

Paid HMRC today for some freelance work I did while working full-time. This freelance work took my salary over the student loan threshold. It was only 3 invoices which amounted to under £200 profit. HMRC worked out that I would then owe £300 to my student loan.

I would have been better off not freelancing at all for the last 2 years.

At least I won't have to pay any of my student loan back next year.

Everyone's saying I need to increase my rates, so come July I'm going to give myself a hefty pay rise. Not decided by how much yet, possibly 50%.

My student loan is paid off in August. Woop!! :D

You know, the more you mention how well you're doing, the more likely I'll be pitching to you for investment. :P

Congratulations though. :)

My student loan probably wasn't anywhere near as much as yours to be fair. :D

I'm so glad that I never had any student loans. The idea of those hanging over you like a massive weight must be depressing.

Not at all...three years after graduating I've not earned enough to pay it off. Doesn't bother me at all. It would be nice to pay it off eventually, but it won't prohibit me from being approved of a mortgage.

I'm so glad that I never had any student loans. The idea of those hanging over you like a massive weight must be depressing.

Not at all...three years after graduating I've not earned enough to pay it off. Doesn't bother me at all. It would be nice to pay it off eventually, but it won't prohibit me from being approved of a mortgage.

It still needs to be paid off though, at some point. I'm just glad that I could pay for things as I went.

No idea, so Snakes can answer that.

I bet you a tenner he fucking can't :lol:

You owe £10 whether I give the right answer or not.

But in answer, yes, you do, an LTD must file it's annual return, unless it's VAT registered, then it must submit returns every 3 months or every month (depending on the size of business operations).

An LTD still has it's audits, but these are more 'surprise inspections' rather than for a PLC which is compulsory responsible for auditing itself every year.

Edited by Snake-Pit

I bet you a tenner he fucking can't :lol:

You owe £10 whether I give the right answer or not.

But in answer, yes, you do, an LTD must file it's annual return, unless it's VAT registered, then it must submit returns every 3 months or every month (depending on the size of business operations),

An LTD still has it's audits, but these are more 'surprise inspections' rather than for a PLC which is compulsory responsible for auditing itself every year.

As soon as I think your completely brain dead you always surprise me with a flicker of hope. I have no idea if your right or wrong but you seem confident so fair enough, I will gladly pay up to Chris or his charity of choice.

Chris's charity of choice is The Royal Hull Recovering Sodomised Puppies Shelter.

Pssst! Wrong Chris! :lol: Think more "something to do with abusing Chelsea fans" :lol:

Bollocks to you with knobs on!

:lol:

I'll try again: Chris' charity of choice is The Royal Hull Chelsea Recovering Sodomised Puppies Shelter.

Chris's charity of choice is The Royal Hull Recovering Sodomised Puppies Shelter.

Pssst! Wrong Chris! :lol: Think more "something to do with abusing Chelsea fans" :lol:

Bollocks to you with knobs on!

I'll try again: Chris' charity of choice is The Royal Hull Chelsea Recovering Sodomised Puppies Shelter.

The real victim, is the thread.

Yes you do and its a fuckin labourious and meticulous process that makes me question my fuckin' lifes worth.

Think of that process, then realise that Snakes has to comply with the law. Then laugh. :lol:

He'll have to actually do some sort of business first to even get that far, not just sit around mulling over the vagaries of tax relief having registered a completely functionless company with Companies House :lol:

It's just a shell corporation hiding Swiss money laundering?

Yes you do and its a fuckin labourious and meticulous process that makes me question my fuckin' lifes worth.

Think of that process, then realise that Snakes has to comply with the law. Then laugh. :lol:

I'm thinking outside the box doing stuff legit in Thornton Heath :lol:

I know people who would buy a car, not care about having a license (because they don't) and not insuring it hiding their car at night...

I ain't that dumb.

He'll have to actually do some sort of business first to even get that far, not just sit around mulling over the vagaries of tax relief having registered a completely functionless company with Companies House :lol:

It seems to be a shell corporation hiding nothing.

It seems to be a shell corporation hiding nothing.

If it's legal, it's legal.

I'd hide nothing.

-

A company can be in an idle state of trade whilst starting up, Len, so as long as you don't wish to claim Job Seekers, you don't have to start trade or even 'do some sort of business first to even get that far', and who ever told you it's 'not just sit around mulling over the vagaries of tax relief...' was right, there's a bunch of stuff that comes with operating a business and owning one too... but 'just sit around mulling over the vagaries of tax' is a huge part to it, for me.

The company is a start up Len, it's a limited liability company and it's mine, all mine :D, true, it is subject to external responsibilities such as government and local authorities and the general public and even the local community and the business environment in my industry (can't have my company playing dirty) and even I think, now, if my company grew big enough, carbon footprint and emissions)... But internally, if I keep myself happy, any suppliers I have happy (which so far is just start up money from me) happy, and everything happy which so far, is just me. - Then I can use this R&D time (Research and Development) to formulate a legal/winning business plan, and when I explored options of retail, refreshments, fashion and then music; It dawned on me that ANY for me, right now, would take a lot of time work and energy to ever not be some flash in the pan thing, but to actually succeed, so I chose music, it's always been a dream (I have more actually) but music is there amongst them, and I think, if done right, could be really cool too... So I actually looked into that and it was possible, saw options in that that, if I had x. amount of money, I could have a London fm radio station selling advertising playing what my record label produced to promote sales of the record and to get the artist paid from the airplay at the same time. - I've said it time and time again Len, you're limited by your budget and your imagination, I mean, I don't think I need to be telling you this Len, but as long as it's legal, there's nothing they (the external pressures on a company) can do to you.

Edited by Snake-Pit

So it looks like in a few months time, my main client might be hiring me as a full-time employee.

When that happens, the first thing I'm going to do is take my husband and two couples who have been really supportive during my time going it alone, out for a steak dinner, with champagne.

So I've a suspicion that the food magazine I run might close. In short, since the floods, our marketing manager has found it really difficult to sell ad space, and invoices we sent for the last issue's ads haven't been paid yet- it's 3 days away from their deadlines.

We've not made a final decision if it's going to happen or not. We have 3 weeks to wait and see what happens, and at that point we'll think about the way forward. It's disheartening, but I'm proud of what we've done so far, and I'm never, ever proud of anything I've done.

• 6 months later...