The positive side of being an Axl Rose fan - how does that relate to you?

AFD, Lies, UYI albums and the amazing shows from those days. Axl´s voice, his charisma and even his rants sometimes. He was a great frontman. I had the time of my life. Then It was great to see Axl back in the game in the early 2000s. It was still worth watching. I mean Vegas, RIR 2001 and 2006

Yes, I want to support Axl the artist and GN´R my all time favotite band still despite everything. But I don´t think about cars or a mansion. Money helps sure but I don´t think it´s everything. A Lamborghini won´t make Axl a better singer nor a better person.

Edited by Padme
  • Like 1

In the late 80's, I was a little girl in junior high that loved bands like New Kids on the Block. On a church youth group trip to Six Flags in St. Louis, a friend of mine played Paradise City for me. From that minute, and I mean that literally, from that minute I was hooked on Gn'R. After I heard Guns n' Roses, it was like no other musical act existed! I've always felt like Guns songs speak the way I feel about things, especially about the things I'm afraid to say out loud. Gn'R brings me up when I'm down and I rely on them everyday to keep me going. Axl Rose is the most amazing rock singer there ever will be and my life has been touched immensely by him. No matter what he chooses to do in the future, I'm thankful for what he has given us, his fans, thus far. I just hope this isn't the end because it would be a real shame. He is an extremely talented and charismatic man and he makes my world a little brighter.

Whenever The Beta, Fernando or Axl check out the forum, the majority of the topics on here are saturated with negativity. Well-deserved criticism - without a doubt. But in the minds of people who think the world revolves around them and that their band's "fans" are part of the problem, I started this topic to give Axl a huge dose of positive re-enforcement.

DONT get me wrong. I know the guy is worth a 100 million dollars, lives in a mansion, bangs 20-year-old models, etc and doesn't need us to hold his hand and stroke his ego. That's not what this topic is for. It's just a place to share a brief message about the positive side of being an Axl Rose fan, why you've been one for so long (I've been there since 1988), and what you hope Axl does musically before he decides to retire.

Please don't take the typical pot-shots. We know he's been out of shape, a revolving door of band members, a guitar player who uses social media like he is 18 years old, etc.

I really hope people can be positive here and not turn it into a joke or negative topic. I hope people can be respectful.

My musical world changed the minute I heard Appetite for Destruction for the first time. I went from listening to bands like Prince, Judas Priest, Van Halen, Metallica as well as all the hair metal bands to instantly becoming a Guns n Roses addict. The month I bought Appetite I must have listened to it 5-6 times a day - every day - until my cassette starting wearing out. Then I bought a new one.

And over the past 27 years, I've easily listened to Guns n Roses music more than I've listened to all other music combined. And while I love the bands that have put out those albums, the SOLE and number one reason for my GnR obsession has always been because of Axl Rose.

Axl has the greatest rock voice of my generation, and Guns n Roses had a musical sound that no other band could, have or has matched.

I've bought every album multiple times, bought many posters, purchased more t-shirts than I can remember, and spent thousands of dollars to attend several GnR shows. And if Axl would only decide do to more of those things, I'll gladly continue my role of financially supporting him and the band.

I think the rock world needs more Axl Rose. And, like it or not, I think Axl still owes something to his millions of fans. All of us, on occasion, have done things that we might not have wanted to do - simply because we wanted to "give back" to our friends/family or community.

Millions of people supported Axl's decision to carry on the GnR name. And they stayed on board through cancelled shows, horrific performances, disappearances, DJ's dementedness, and the biggest negative - imo - the lack of GnR music.

Axl, you mentally toy with and kill your fan's hopes when you talk about songs being worked on and completed. When Axl or the Camp talks about 40 songs being out there, or 80 songs, or TWO COMPLETE ALBUMS being in the can, and saying things like "round one" and that you didn't create this music to not release it.

One album since fighting so hard to keep the GnR name that Axl said meant so much to him.

One album since 2008.

But talking about how much music has been worked on and his ready to go? Why the f*ck create it, but then decide to not share it?

ALL Bullsh*t and hyperbole and internet tr*lling aside - there are really three things that Axl's millions of fans want to see.

1. They want to spend their money to purchase MUSIC created and sung by Axl Rose - their favorite singer.

2. A reunion with the old guys. Or at least some sort of mini-reunion or a burying of the hatchet with Slash.

3. GnR on tour, playing some new songs, giving fans something to have fun with.

For me personally - #1 is what I care about the most. I don't care who you record an album with, and I don't care who you tour with. I just want to hear and see more Axl Rose - the best rock singer of all time.

AXL - millions of fans love your music and WANT to support you - emotionally and financially. Many of those fans have been in your corner for almost 30 years!!!! The best thing I could do today might make 10 people happy. You deciding to share your music - bro, you would literally make 2-3 MILLION rock fans happy. That's the power you have. That's what your talents have given you - the power to make a couple million people happy. And you can do that by simply sharing 14 songs for your millions of fans to enjoy. What a tremendous amount of joy and happiness that must give you. You have the power to change people's lives, to give millions of people joy. That's the power of your music.

My music dream in terms of Axl Rose. For the next couple of years he ignores all the feuds and corporate bull sh*t and internet haters and just devotes a couple years to the relationship between him and his millions of fans. Release CD2 in time for Christmas, release the remix album on ITunes or the GnR official webpage, and release an album written by the current band (new songs written together as a band) in the summer of 2017. Then, if he feels like it, a reunion album and tour in 2020. Then go the Neil Young route and have fun as a solo act, releasing albums every couple of years.

There is absolutely nothing in the music world that could happen that would make me (and millions of rock fans) more happy than if Axl Rose released three albums of music in the next three years. No other band or artist has the kind of power in the rock world.

TL/DR - Axl, bro, your millions of fans want to financially support you by buying albums and seeing you on tour. You are the definitive rock voice of our generation. PLEASE start sharing your music with your fans!!!! We want to buy you another mansion and Lamborghini. Do your part and release a couple more albums, and we'll do our part by buying the albums and paying hundreds of dollars to see you on tour. But one album in the last 20 years - that just sucks for your fans. Please think about your millions of fans and share some music with us!!!!!

I could not agree more!!

• Like 3

I don't get all the bashing he gets around here.

:facepalm:

It was just that last paragraph... sort of waving some cash in front of Axl's face saying "dude, I'll pay you for it, the money is right here, see it? You can do whatever you want with it, buy M&Ms, get a cheap hooker, have a margarita... whatever you want."

It sounds cunty.

You missed the point, bub.

I didn't say take the 100 million dollars for a reunion.

Axl lives in a mansion. He drives a lambo. He lives the life of luxury. Why? Because guys like me have paid thousands of dollars to support his career. Axl makes more money in one concert (three hours) than I make in a year of working.

The point is to release a friggin album of 14 songs (or two or three of them) and a million or two guys just like me will spend our hard earned money on the album, t-shirts and concerts. So not only would Axl be doing a solid for the fans who helped him live his life of luxury - but he would also make a few more million dollars. Win-win.

I loved the first part of your post, by the way.

I thank Axl for being part of a super rock group that changed the course of rock music during the late 80's and early 90's. I'm grateful that Axl Rose is alive and well and still rockin after all this time.

I don't dwell on Axl in my everyday life. I listen to GNR music in my car. My little granddaughter knows who Axl is because I have posters of him and GNR around my house and when I wear a shirt.

My son became a huge GNR fan, especially of Axl, when he got older and it inspired to learn to play the drums and he learned by listening to GNR music, but as far as thinking of Axl Rose and how it affects my life, not really. I would love to see GNR in concert again and would love to hear new music, but as far as Axl being a part of my life, I can't say he is. He doesn't change my life either way, but I'm happy he exists.

And they stayed on board through ... DJ's dementedness

:lol:

I agree with pretty much everything in the OP. I don't really care about a reunion, but if there's another long break and he comes back without new music, yea, fuck it, if you're gonna play AFD just play it with the guys who wrote it.

Anyway, the positives of being an Axl fan..............

He's flat out the best rock singer/frontman I've ever heard and seen. I've listened to AFD, UYI and CD more times than I could ever count, they contain my all-time favorite songs.... I have my CD and record collections sectioned off into GNR, and non-GNR. I've been able to see some great performances like this, this and this and heard some lesser played songs, hell the show in 2010 was hands down the best show I've ever seen with the '14 Vegas shows coming 2nd to that.

He also releases a new album every once in a while lifetime, and Chinese is my favorite album, so if whatever leaks/gets released in the future is from that era I'll be happy.

Edited by Gordon Comstock

Ive been a GNR fan since i was a teenager.. admittedly as ive moved into my 30s, ive become more selective about what i listen too, and probably more and mroe dissillusioned with the music being created today. Gen Y has killed me with their beliefs on whats cool.. along with mainstream media that trys to ram what they think is good music down my throat. So in the last 10 years ive definitely gone back to what i liked as a teenager.. and that was rock music.

In all the time ive listened to music.. ive never seen a frontman captivate like Axl, his voice is unique and the songs on AFD and Illusions are still doing it for me. The story of them rising up from nothing and their debauchery while they ruled the rock world is one im really interested in. All 5 members have interesting back stories to their lives that ive enjoyed reading about. As an adult i guess you get more refined in what interests you.. for me musically.. GnR took precedence over every other band.

As for Axl.. Ive stated many times on here, im not prepared to take sides on the fued between him and slash, they both made mistakes.. and both share the blame.. i like both of them immensely.

My first born is due next wednesday, a little boy, and The middle name will be Axl.. named after the greatest front man (IMO) of all time. :axl92:

As for my hopes for the band, ive also stated im not overly a big fan of the new line ups (although i have seen them in 2013 in my home town which was amazing), but i just hope that we get a little bit of new music from Axl.. and being a reunionist (which will get me shot on here).. id like to see the original 5 (or at least the UYI line up) doing something in the next year or 2 which IMO would be giving back to the long term fans who have held on as long as they have.

If none of that happens.. ill go back to following Axl, slash, Duff and steven through their twitter and the media whenever anything pops up and continue listening to the music we already have. :P

Fond memories of 2006, really exciting times and my life was kicking into gear then and seeing Guns in Birmingham that year, plus all the excitement, was part of the tapestry of memories.

Same for the 2008 leaks, hearing Riad was amazing.

Also listened to the '99 version of Catcher yesterday for the first time in ages and it just knocked me out, one of the greatest songs I'll ever have the pleasure to hear.

I want all the music to reach the fans one way or another simply because I would absolutely kill to hear the rest of it.

• Like 1

Axl was the best of every front man that every lived rolled into one which ultimately made him unique.

He had the physicality and explosiveness of Iggy Pop.

His song writing and singing style took the best from almost every spectrum from Elton John & Freddie Mercury onto 70's and '80's rock singers like Joe Cocker and Dan McCafferty and into modern rock.

He was ferociously handsome and looked iconic in his leathers, bandanas and shades - women wanted to fuck him and men wanted to be him.

He was opinionated, harsh and unforgiving while also being unbelievably gracious, generous, romantic and fragile - an absolute enigma.

When he was dedicated to his band and his fans, his passion was deeply honest and unwavering.

His rants were as much of a spectacle as his songs.

Looking at that guy 20 years on, if he showed up for the first time today I think he'd still knock the world on its ass like he did back then.

I feel privileged to have had my best years (late teens early twenties) with this man's enormous talent and amazing band.

• Like 3

I've always had a hard time understanding the negativity of some GNR fans. Some people act like Axl owes them something. For a long time it was very hard for me to understand. But I've come to the conclusion that those negative people are probably just much bigger GNR fans than I am. I guess they're just so damn frustrated. I simply don't care enough to complain. It's Axl's life, he can spend it any way he wants to.

GNR is my favorite band nevertheless. Always has been and always will be. Because of many reasons. One big reason is the diversity of the songs. I can't stand bands like AC/DC that pretty much write the same song over and over again. That's just boring to me. When it comes to GNR almost every song is unique. And even though the songs are all different they're all still great songs in my opinion. Very few bands experiment with different styles so successfully. That's why it's so exciting to wait for the next album because you really don't know what you're going to get. Something psychedelic, maybe something with jazz-influences, perhaps something even more industrial or how about a GNR reggaeton song? Who knows? All that I do know is that I'm probably gonna like it, cause I've liked all GNR stuff so far.

One reason why I'm probably gonna like it is Axl's voice. There's something about that attitude or something... I don't know. But he makes pretty much any song sound at least decent. Right now I can only think of two other singers in the history of humankind who have had the same ability to make any song sound at least somewhat good. Those are John Lennon and Kurt Cobain. Of course that's just my opinion. Perhaps I could add Elvis Presley, Ray Charles, Johnny Cash, Michael Jackson and some others to the list as well.

But Axl Rose is the only one out of those, who is still alive.

Of course it's not just Axl's voice that makes GNR so special. It's also the songwriting. If there's one thing about music that I am sick of, then it's choruses that are repeated over and over again. It's not only a problem in pop music, but almost every popular rock band is guilty of that too. Almost every single song written these days has the same problem. The chorus is repeated over and over again. That's just boring. I want to hear new and interesting song structures. Chinese Democracy and the UYI-albums have plenty of songs that don't rely on the chorus too much. There's many songs that don't even have a chorus to begin with. I love that. That's what I call interesting songwriting.

But even though GNR music is experimental, its not too experimental. The songs stay together very well and form a coherent wholeness. There's many bands out there that are FAR more experimental than GNR is. But in my opinion their songs rarely form a coherent wholeness. Very often those songs are just random weirdness. I'm talking about bands like Radiohead or artists like Aphex Twin. Don't get me wrong I love both of them very much. But not as much as I love GNR. In my opinion GNR has found the perfect balance in being experimental without being too weird and chaotic.

• Like 1

<long story>

I'm sorry, but this really does feel a bit forced. Maybe people aren't exactly positive because there really isn't anything to be positive about. If you need a forced positivity thread to see positive things about an artist, that says a lot.

I don't really care whether Axl needs emotional support. What I will give is a realistic assessment of the situation.

- There aren't any original members in the band other than Axl

- Everyone else is expendable and replaceable

- More people have been in Guns n' Roses than the Eiffel Tower draws visitors in a year

- DJ Ashba is in the first 84 places of a list of 100 biggest douchebags in the universe

- They put out 1 album in 17 years (being generous and starting to count at 1998)

- Said album was an overproduced mess with an average of 23,8 musicians working on every song

- If you plot the quality of Axl's vocal performances since 2001 you end up with the design of the most insane roller-coaster ever built

- The management team are a bunch of incompetent money-grabbing leeches who do nothing all day and feel the need to tweet about having a 3 hour meeting

- The same-shit-different-day tour has gone on since 2001

- There is no news or communication, ever

And they wonder why people aren't positive much..

I just don't spend any money I feel bad about. I generally waste it all. But it's interesting that some guys can attract more money than others.

When someone sells me a cheeseburger I don't think they owe me something. Like they have to make another one. Axl makes rock cds. If you want it, buy it.

But that company might stop making those burgers. That's sad but they don't have to make them.

Think of profit as Axls satisfaction. The burgers don't make money so they stop producing them. Axl isn't happy about his cd, he doesn't put it out.

Anything else is slavery. The individual has to be free to choose. What if you don't want to make cheeseburgers anymore, you wanna make pizza? Cheeseburger bondage. This can not stand.

Axl was the best of every front man that every lived rolled into one which ultimately made him unique.

He had the physicality and explosiveness of Iggy Pop.

His song writing and singing style took the best from almost every spectrum from Elton John & Freddie Mercury onto 70's and '80's rock singers like Joe Cocker and Dan McCafferty and into modern rock.

He was ferociously handsome and looked iconic in his leathers, bandanas and shades - women wanted to fuck him and men wanted to be him.

He was opinionated, harsh and unforgiving while also being unbelievably gracious, generous, romantic and fragile - an absolute enigma.

When he was dedicated to his band and his fans, his passion was deeply honest and unwavering.

His rants were as much of a spectacle as his songs.

Looking at that guy 20 years on, if he showed up for the first time today I think he'd still knock the world on its ass like he did back then.

I feel privileged to have had my best years (late teens early twenties) with this man's enormous talent and amazing band.

Amazing post. My sentiments exactly.

• Like 1

I just don't spend any money I feel bad about. I generally waste it all. But it's interesting that some guys can attract more money than others.

When someone sells me a cheeseburger I don't think they owe me something. Like they have to make another one. Axl makes rock cds. If you want it, buy it.

But that company might stop making those burgers. That's sad but they don't have to make them.

Think of profit as Axls satisfaction. The burgers don't make money so they stop producing them. Axl isn't happy about his cd, he doesn't put it out.

Anything else is slavery. The individual has to be free to choose. What if you don't want to make cheeseburgers anymore, you wanna make pizza? Cheeseburger bondage. This can not stand.

Not to derail this thread, but I see it like the Burger joint has a sign that says OPEN and when you try and order they won't sell you anything.

Instead of getting shitty with the people who keep coming in to try and order food, close the store.

• Like 2